Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Whitehorse, YT
    My Bikes
    2012 Giant Anthem X 29er 4.0, 2007 Jamis Durango 1.0
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hello from the Yukon!

    Hello everyone,

    I live in Whitehorse, in the Yukon. (Its right next to Alaska). I've been riding for about 4 years now, primarily mountain biking. We have some fantastic trails around here, right out my back door, so it was an easy sport for me to pick up when I moved here. I try to get out at least twice a week for some trail rides, but it doesn't always happen. This year I decided to start commuting to work, so I converted my old Jamis hardtail to a commuter and I've been loving it. I'm looking at getting myself a road bike for commuting and possibly for some weekend rides - I'll have to find that correct area to ask some questions regarding that later.

    The summer is short around here, but it is usually fantastic! My riding window is quickly closing, but I'm hoping to squeeze in some more trail rides before the snow flies. Once September hits, every ride could be my last!

  2. #2
    Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Btw the Mohave desert and AREA 51
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Posts
    5,160
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to bike forums and thanks for your post. That sounds like an incredible area. Maybe chatting here this winter will help get ready for next summer. Check out the Mountain Bike Thread. I hang there a bit and my first love in Mountain Biking. I bet you have some great pictures.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

    I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Lacumo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    2005 Serotta
    Posts
    2,381
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to BF! Do you have any hope of slapping on studded snow tires and doing a little winter road riding in the windows between when the plows clean up and the next snowfall, or are the winters up there just so extreme that they make that idea laughable?

  4. #4
    Senior Member catonec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    burlington VT.
    Posts
    2,211
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea about what your area is like as far as availability of local bike shops (LBS), shipping charges, or your budget.

    I do know that bikesdirect.com is loaded w/brand new bikes (a model year or 2 old) for great prices.

    size selections may be limited, and you dont get the direct support for maintenance but the pricing reflects that.

    $450
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/.../mirage_sl.htm

    $800
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ntnoir_xii.htm

    1k
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...intour_xii.htm

    $1200
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...sprint_xii.htm

    like the motobecanes and kestrels (obviously)
    2010 Kestrel RT900SL, 800k carbon, chorus/record, speedplay, zonda
    1997 Trek ZX6000, 6061w/manitou spyder, xt/xtr, time atac

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Whitehorse, YT
    My Bikes
    2012 Giant Anthem X 29er 4.0, 2007 Jamis Durango 1.0
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daspydyr View Post
    Welcome to bike forums and thanks for your post. That sounds like an incredible area. Maybe chatting here this winter will help get ready for next summer. Check out the Mountain Bike Thread. I hang there a bit and my first love in Mountain Biking. I bet you have some great pictures.
    I actually don't have that many pictures. I have some of my bikes herebut that's about it. I should take more, but I'm too lazy to lug my slr on my rides with me! Although, right now is the time to do it, things are changing colours in these parts...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lacumo View Post
    Welcome to BF! Do you have any hope of slapping on studded snow tires and doing a little winter road riding in the windows between when the plows clean up and the next snowfall, or are the winters up there just so extreme that they make that idea laughable?
    There are people that ride those big snow bikes around in the winter, but I'm pretty sure that there is something wrong with them, mentally. I see people out there at -30, but that isn't for me. They don't really plow the roads all that well around here (but we don't get an obscene amount of snow either) but those folks seem to be able to make it work. Either the first snowfall or the first time snot freezes to my face is my indicator that its time to hang up my bike(s) and dig out my hockey gear!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Whitehorse, YT
    My Bikes
    2012 Giant Anthem X 29er 4.0, 2007 Jamis Durango 1.0
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by catonec View Post
    I have no idea about what your area is like as far as availability of local bike shops (LBS), shipping charges, or your budget.

    I do know that bikesdirect.com is loaded w/brand new bikes (a model year or 2 old) for great prices.

    size selections may be limited, and you dont get the direct support for maintenance but the pricing reflects that.

    $450
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/.../mirage_sl.htm

    $800
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ntnoir_xii.htm

    1k
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...intour_xii.htm

    $1200
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...sprint_xii.htm

    like the motobecanes and kestrels (obviously)
    We've got two LBS's around - one carries Giant and Kona and one carries Specialized and Rocky Mountain. If I don't pick up this used steel frame I've been looking at on kijiji I think I'll end up on a specialized next year...maybe.

    I've thought about bikesdirect, but I don't know enough about road bikes to buy one without sitting on it first, sadly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •