Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-05, 04:18 PM   #1
MasonM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Plant City,FL
Bikes: Huffy 10 Speed Mountain
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello From Florida

Hello all. I'm pretty new to bicycling as I haven't spent much time on one since I was a kid. I suffered a broken hip/pelvis in a car accident on Dec.26 of last year and am recouperating.

I just recently have been able to walk (painfully) without crutches using only a cane. I decided to get out the old 10 speed from the shed I hadn't used in years. I cleaned it up, adjusted and oiled everything.

I figured riding the bike may do some good in getting my bum leg strenthened up and maybe loosen up the busted hip some. Today was the first day for me and I have to say that I really enjoyed riding in the sunshine and fresh air after more than 3 months of being couped up indoors.

Sitting around for all this time and with a bum leg, I'm pretty out of shape and I could tell it from today's 2 mile ride. I'm looking forward to riding as much as I can safely do now, and gradually increasing my riding as I go along. Great exercise and physical therapy.

Once I'm recovered enough to seriously start looking for work again, I'm going to focus on finding something close enough that I can ride my bike to work every day. I'm also already planning on saving up for a nice new bike ( or good used one) as well.

I have to admit, even though I'm sore now, riding hurts a lot less than walking, and is so much more fun.
MasonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-05, 04:59 PM   #2
skydive69
Senior Member
 
skydive69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Seminole, FL
Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonM
Hello all. I'm pretty new to bicycling as I haven't spent much time on one since I was a kid. I suffered a broken hip/pelvis in a car accident on Dec.26 of last year and am recouperating.

I just recently have been able to walk (painfully) without crutches using only a cane. I decided to get out the old 10 speed from the shed I hadn't used in years. I cleaned it up, adjusted and oiled everything.

I figured riding the bike may do some good in getting my bum leg strenthened up and maybe loosen up the busted hip some. Today was the first day for me and I have to say that I really enjoyed riding in the sunshine and fresh air after more than 3 months of being couped up indoors.

Sitting around for all this time and with a bum leg, I'm pretty out of shape and I could tell it from today's 2 mile ride. I'm looking forward to riding as much as I can safely do now, and gradually increasing my riding as I go along. Great exercise and physical therapy.

Once I'm recovered enough to seriously start looking for work again, I'm going to focus on finding something close enough that I can ride my bike to work every day. I'm also already planning on saving up for a nice new bike ( or good used one) as well.

I have to admit, even though I'm sore now, riding hurts a lot less than walking, and is so much more fun.
Welcome. When you get back in the groove, be sure to visit us in St. Petersburg some Saturday morning at 0830 for our club ride. We have them everyday, but Saturday particularly caters to every rider from the absolute slowest to the Cat 1 racer.
skydive69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 01:33 PM   #3
MasonM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Plant City,FL
Bikes: Huffy 10 Speed Mountain
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks skydive69, I may do that if and when I'm ever in shape enough for a club ride. The doc tells me the hip will never be quite right, was a very nasty break. basically drove the ball of the hip joint through the back of the cup in the pelvis.

Hopefully it'll get usable enough in time for a nice enjoyable club ride and I'd be happy to ride along with you. For now I'll just enjoy my short rides (2-3 miles right now) in the sun and fresh air, and work towards more.
MasonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 02:10 PM   #4
skydive69
Senior Member
 
skydive69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Seminole, FL
Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonM
Thanks skydive69, I may do that if and when I'm ever in shape enough for a club ride. The doc tells me the hip will never be quite right, was a very nasty break. basically drove the ball of the hip joint through the back of the cup in the pelvis.

Hopefully it'll get usable enough in time for a nice enjoyable club ride and I'd be happy to ride along with you. For now I'll just enjoy my short rides (2-3 miles right now) in the sun and fresh air, and work towards more.
Keep at it - it sounds like you are doing wonderfully well. Remember also that the Florida Freewheelers offers rides for the slowest to cat 1 racers. Good luck with the hip. A friend of mine had a hip transplant, and he kicks butt on the bike now!
skydive69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 03:42 PM   #5
MasonM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Plant City,FL
Bikes: Huffy 10 Speed Mountain
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive69
Keep at it - it sounds like you are doing wonderfully well. Remember also that the Florida Freewheelers offers rides for the slowest to cat 1 racers. Good luck with the hip. A friend of mine had a hip transplant, and he kicks butt on the bike now!
Thanks. That sounds encouraging. They tell me I'll eventually need a replacement as well, but I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.
MasonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 04:17 PM   #6
skydive69
Senior Member
 
skydive69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Seminole, FL
Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonM
Thanks. That sounds encouraging. They tell me I'll eventually need a replacement as well, but I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.
I know quite a few very active people that have undergone the procedure so it is a good thing!!
skydive69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-05, 06:53 AM   #7
MasonM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Plant City,FL
Bikes: Huffy 10 Speed Mountain
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah I imagine it's a good thing, but as I'm still healing from the initial repairs (pins and screws) I'm in no hurry for more surgery. Been out of work for over 3 months now and a lack of insurance makes it all that much more painful. Right now I'll settle for getting to the point that I can start earning income again.
MasonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-05, 06:59 AM   #8
bab
Senior Member
 
bab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Tampa, Fl
Bikes: Cannondale r600
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey MasonM,

Good luck with the recovery. It sounds like you have come a long way so far. You might want to look at a recumbent bike as it might help with the position of your hips.. I know someone who had hip replacement and uses the recumbent bike.

There are a few people on this forum from the Tampa/St Pete area..

Good luck
bab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-05, 10:30 AM   #9
skydive69
Senior Member
 
skydive69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Seminole, FL
Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonM
Yeah I imagine it's a good thing, but as I'm still healing from the initial repairs (pins and screws) I'm in no hurry for more surgery. Been out of work for over 3 months now and a lack of insurance makes it all that much more painful. Right now I'll settle for getting to the point that I can start earning income again.
Amen on the income!
skydive69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-05, 12:53 PM   #10
eU_ExpaT
Member
 
eU_ExpaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Warsaw Poland
Bikes: Trek 7200
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mason M, our son had hip problems/surgeries the past few years. We got him a staionary bike for use in bad weather or if there as not enough time to get out, too dark etc. He got a lot of use out of it (virtual biked to Berlin!) and it helped speed his progress. And he enjoyed listening to tunes or watching the tube. It's not as good as getting outside, but it keeps the joint moving.

xpaT@Warsaw
eU_ExpaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:51 AM.