Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    666
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Parking Garages Near Highway Off-Ramps

    This may sound like a no-brainer, but it recently occurred to me that the best way to reduce motor-traffic, encourage transit use and cycling, etc. would be to have large parking garages near the off-ramps of highways. That way, drivers could basically exit the highway by entering the parking garage. Airports often work this way but I can't think of any cities that induce people to leave their cars at the highway exit and travel further by bus, bike, etc.

    One big advantage I can see to using big multistory parking garages is that a bike-share/rental could be located at or near the top, which would be a boon for people parking and then riding away on a bike. If several shopping, meeting/business, and residential areas would be located in different directions from the garage, people could basically coast to their destination. The bikes could be returned at the ground level, where a pulley system could be used to hoist them back to the top of the garage.

    Even though you'd still have to pedal around after reaching your initial destination, the ability to coast downhill at first would give users a good first impression of the area. If biking became a draw for visiting the area and commerce, more businesses would want to position themselves within biking distance and the bikable commerce area would expand in this way.

  2. #2
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    41,793
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
    ... One big advantage I can see to using big multistory parking garages is that a bike-share/rental could be located at or near the top, which would be a boon for people parking and then riding away on a bike. If several shopping, meeting/business, and residential areas would be located in different directions from the garage, people could basically coast to their destination ...

    Even though you'd still have to pedal around after reaching your initial destination, the ability to coast downhill at first would give users a good first impression of the area.
    A few initial thoughts ...

    a) this assumes pancake flat terrain ... or that this parking garage is located on top of a hill??

    b) are you suggesting people coast down off the top of a parking garage? And that is supposed to give people a good first impression of the area?

    c) if you're going to build a monstrosity of a parking garage, why wouldn't you incorporate the shopping areas etc. with it and call it a shopping centre. People could park and walk to the shops, offices, etc. without having to bother with a bicycle.

    d) what's to prevent people from parking at this place, doing their business in the immediate area, and then driving to the next place down the road? Would driving in the surrounding area be banned?

    e) Google "Park and Ride".

  3. #3
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,552
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Downtown Little Rock is sort of this way. There are multi-story parking garages right after you exit I-30 into downtown. The tourist trolley will take you by most of the tourist destinations on both sides of the river. The transit center is two blocks away. There is a bike rental store two blocks in the other direction. Downtown itself is fairly flat.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  4. #4
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    21,615
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
    This may sound like a no-brainer...
    It does.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    666
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    a) this assumes pancake flat terrain ... or that this parking garage is located on top of a hill??
    Either way. The parking garage is basically a hill. I'm assuming it would have gradually-sloped levels, like a broad pyramid. Also, the sides could be burmed so that the garage appears as a hill from the outside. Think of it as a large, artificial hill with a parking garage as skeleton. If it's too much volume for parking, there could always be some commercial space built into it as well.

    b) are you suggesting people coast down off the top of a parking garage? And that is supposed to give people a good first impression of the area?
    Yes, because it's not as much like a parking garage as it is a hill. People park their cars inside 'the hill' and then come out at the top of a hill where they can get a bike a launch off down the hill along one of a variety of bike paths leading to nearby commercial and residential areas.

    c) if you're going to build a monstrosity of a parking garage, why wouldn't you incorporate the shopping areas etc. with it and call it a shopping centre. People could park and walk to the shops, offices, etc. without having to bother with a bicycle.
    If it's bikable, it can be more spread out; without being as sprawling as if it were drivable/parkable.

    d) what's to prevent people from parking at this place, doing their business in the immediate area, and then driving to the next place down the road? Would driving in the surrounding area be banned?
    Saying that parking is 'banned' sounds bad. Would you say that parking is 'banned' inside a mall if the mall has a parking garage and people have to park in the garage and then walk to the stores and restaurants inside the mall?

  6. #6
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    41,793
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
    Either way. The parking garage is basically a hill. I'm assuming it would have gradually-sloped levels, like a broad pyramid. Also, the sides could be burmed so that the garage appears as a hill from the outside. Think of it as a large, artificial hill with a parking garage as skeleton. If it's too much volume for parking, there could always be some commercial space built into it as well.

    Yes, because it's not as much like a parking garage as it is a hill. People park their cars inside 'the hill' and then come out at the top of a hill where they can get a bike a launch off down the hill along one of a variety of bike paths leading to nearby commercial and residential areas.

    If it's bikable, it can be more spread out; without being as sprawling as if it were drivable/parkable.


    Saying that parking is 'banned' sounds bad. Would you say that parking is 'banned' inside a mall if the mall has a parking garage and people have to park in the garage and then walk to the stores and restaurants inside the mall?

    You must live in a very, very flat part of the world if you're that desperate for hills. Around here it would have to be one massive structure to be classed as a hill!!

    And I didn't ask if parking would be banned elsewhere, I asked if driving would be banned elsewhere. Otherwise what's the point of this parking structure? Why would anyone want to park their cars in a place some distance away from shopping, businesses, etc. when they could park at the shopping, businesses, etc.?

    Look up Zermatt.

  7. #7
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    41,793
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Yellow Taxi
    by Joni Mitchell

    They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot
    With a pink hotel, a boutique
    And a swinging hot spot

    Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you've got
    Till it's gone
    They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot

    They took all the trees
    Put 'em in a tree museum
    And they charged the people
    A dollar and a half just to see 'em

    Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you've got
    Till it's gone
    They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot

    Hey farmer farmer
    Put away that DDT now
    Give me spots on my apples
    But leave me the birds and the bees
    Please!

    Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you've got
    Till it's gone
    They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot

    Late last night
    I heard the screen door slam
    And a big yellow taxi
    Took away my old man

    Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you've got
    Till it's gone
    They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot

    They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot


    Siquomb Publishing Company
    jonimitchell.com - Lyrics: Big Yellow Taxi

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kansas City, KS
    Posts
    178
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    Downtown Little Rock is sort of this way. There are multi-story parking garages right after you exit I-30 into downtown. The tourist trolley will take you by most of the tourist destinations on both sides of the river. The transit center is two blocks away. There is a bike rental store two blocks in the other direction. Downtown itself is fairly flat.
    That's good to know! Going through there next year on our 10 year anniversary.. spent part of our honeymoon in Little Rock. Biking around has to be the best way to check out any city. Miss alot of great places flying by in a car.
    90's Specialized HardRock.. commuter.. 80's Huffy Tiempo 10spd converted to 12spd .. around town.. last to be stolen from the bike rack! And a DBX unk MTB bike.

  9. #9
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    21,527
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    Big Yellow Taxi
    by Joni Mitchell

    They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot
    With a pink hotel, a boutique
    And a swinging hot spot

    Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you've got
    Till it's gone
    They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot

    They took all the trees
    Put 'em in a tree museum
    And they charged the people
    A dollar and a half just to see 'em

    Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you've got
    Till it's gone
    They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot

    Hey farmer farmer
    Put away that DDT now
    Give me spots on my apples
    But leave me the birds and the bees
    Please!

    Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you've got
    Till it's gone
    They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot

    Late last night
    I heard the screen door slam
    And a big yellow taxi
    Took away my old man

    Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you've got
    Till it's gone
    They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot

    They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot


    Siquomb Publishing Company
    jonimitchell.com - Lyrics: Big Yellow Taxi
    Did you pay the copyright fee on that? Joni has been sick lately--she can probably use the money!


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  10. #10
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    21,527
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
    Either way. The parking garage is basically a hill. I'm assuming it would have gradually-sloped levels, like a broad pyramid. Also, the sides could be burmed so that the garage appears as a hill from the outside. Think of it as a large, artificial hill with a parking garage as skeleton. If it's too much volume for parking, there could always be some commercial space built into it as well.


    Yes, because it's not as much like a parking garage as it is a hill. People park their cars inside 'the hill' and then come out at the top of a hill where they can get a bike a launch off down the hill along one of a variety of bike paths leading to nearby commercial and residential areas.


    If it's bikable, it can be more spread out; without being as sprawling as if it were drivable/parkable.


    Saying that parking is 'banned' sounds bad. Would you say that parking is 'banned' inside a mall if the mall has a parking garage and people have to park in the garage and then walk to the stores and restaurants inside the mall?
    Why not put a ramp that starts at the top of the garage and descends gradually to street level at the downtown area a mile or two away? That way, bicyclists would have a nice long coast after parking their cars. The ramp could be covered and maybe even heated in the winter with some kind of passive solar heating system.

    However, I think Machka is on the right track when she suggested a ban on driving. Sometimes you need a stick to go with the carrot. I wouldn't go so far as to ban driving. I would just have a big sign on the highway exit, just outside the garage/ramp: "Congestion fees in effect past this point. Use 'Park & Pedal' to have fun and save money!" I would also make parking fees much higher in the rest of the area, and lower in the special parking structure.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    666
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    You must live in a very, very flat part of the world if you're that desperate for hills. Around here it would have to be one massive structure to be classed as a hill!!
    Stick to the topic. Don't distract the discussion to where I live. "Hill" is the most general word possible I can think of to describe an area of land that slopes from a higher elevation to a lower one. You focus on classification and cultural difference at the expense of communicative clarity.

    And I didn't ask if parking would be banned elsewhere, I asked if driving would be banned elsewhere. Otherwise what's the point of this parking structure? Why would anyone want to park their cars in a place some distance away from shopping, businesses, etc. when they could park at the shopping, businesses, etc.?
    The point is for people to park near the highway so they won't be driving around after they exit. I didn't say driving and parking should be allowed or left unregulated, necessarily. I just said that calling it a "ban" invites resistance. People park outside shopping malls and walk around to shops and restaurants but no one says that driving and parking are "banned" inside the mall. That would imply that it should otherwise be allowed if not for the 'ban.' In short, you're promoting automotivist bias with your language.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Why not put a ramp that starts at the top of the garage and descends gradually to street level at the downtown area a mile or two away? That way, bicyclists would have a nice long coast after parking their cars. The ramp could be covered and maybe even heated in the winter with some kind of passive solar heating system.
    Maybe, but why use a ramp when you could build the garage/structure as a very broad, sloped pyramid-type shape with burmed sides and have bike paths going down in various directions as launch 'ramps' that could keep you coasting further down a bike road for 100m or more?

    My only hesitation with 'ramps' or even an exposed, unburmed garage is that bare concrete-and-steel parking garages are pretty unpleasant aesthetically, as Machka also suggests. Parts of it could be exposed but the more burming with plants and trees growing in a more-or-less natural way, the less the structure is going to look like a huge parking garage on the side of the highway.

    However, I think Machka is on the right track when she suggested a ban on driving. Sometimes you need a stick to go with the carrot. I wouldn't go so far as to ban driving. I would just have a big sign on the highway exit, just outside the garage/ramp: "Congestion fees in effect past this point. Use 'Park & Pedal' to have fun and save money!" I would also make parking fees much higher in the rest of the area, and lower in the special parking structure.
    Banning driving and/or parking is the simplest solution for motor-traffic problems. The problem is we're dealing with 'free' people who complain about 'bans' against popular addictions. Realize that such an area would probably be a private enterprise, like a shopping mall, and private businesses don't typically want to come across as radical or prohibitive, even though they often are in practice. So, indeed, the best approach would be to advertise the area as a bikable open-air commercial/residential center geared toward highway traffic.

    What will most likely happen, though, if such an area was built to ground motor-traffic near the highway exit is that area businesses outside the bikable area surrounding the parking garage would want to promote their businesses by encouraging people to not stay parked at the parking garage and instead drive to the part of town where their business is situated.

    These business interests are the hardest sell: i.e. businesses that situate themselves on affordable land wherever they can find it and then promote driving as an easy way for people to visit and patronize their business. Anywhere something car-free is built and is making money successfully and driving up land and property values, other investors are going to look for cheaper land within the drivable vicinity and attempt to lure business away from the car-free area by promoting driving.

    Indeed, bans on driving and parking may be the only truly effective way to ever deal with this driving-bias built into the nature of business. The only real way to solve it would be to just make business in the car-free commercial center unbeatable; i.e. eliminate any reason people would have to drive beyond the highway-exit parking garage, sort of the way people complain about Walmart undercutting local businesses.
    Last edited by tandempower; 05-29-15 at 08:35 AM.

  12. #12
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    21,527
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
    Maybe, but why use a ramp when you could build the garage/structure as a very broad, sloped pyramid-type shape with burmed sides and have bike paths going down in various directions as launch 'ramps' that could keep you coasting further down a bike road for 100m or more?

    My only hesitation with 'ramps' or even an exposed, unburmed garage is that bare concrete-and-steel parking garages are pretty unpleasant aesthetically, as Machka also suggests. Parts of it could be exposed but the more burming with plants and trees growing in a more-or-less natural way, the less the structure is going to look like a huge parking garage on the side of the highway.
    I agree that the natural bermed structure that looks like a hill is a fantastic design. People will love coasting down it on their bikes. But that doesn't rule out an elevated bikeway that slopes gently from the top of the structure to a popular destination a mile or two away. No, it won't be a hair-raising ride, but maybe boost speeds by a few miles per hour, or reduce pedaling effort by a corresponding amount. This would be something like Norman Foster's design for Skycycles in London--making "free" use of the potential energy of gravity.


    Quote Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
    Banning driving and/or parking is the simplest solution for motor-traffic problems. The problem is we're dealing with 'free' people who complain about 'bans' against popular addictions. Realize that such an area would probably be a private enterprise, like a shopping mall, and private businesses don't typically want to come across as radical or prohibitive, even though they often are in practice. So, indeed, the best approach would be to advertise the area as a bikable open-air commercial/residential center geared toward highway traffic.

    What will most likely happen, though, if such an area was built to ground motor-traffic near the highway exit is that area businesses outside the bikable area surrounding the parking garage would want to promote their businesses by encouraging people to not stay parked at the parking garage and instead drive to the part of town where their business is situated.
    I don't want driving banned in most areas--just make it more financially supported by the users through congestion fees, market-based pricing for parking, and similar measures. When raising fees, it's always nice to give people an opportunity to avoid the fees altogether, such as switch expensive driving for cheap cycling.
    Last edited by Roody; 05-29-15 at 08:55 AM.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  13. #13
    Senior Member loky1179's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Bikes
    2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns
    Posts
    513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    A few initial thoughts ...



    c) if you're going to build a monstrosity of a parking garage, why wouldn't you incorporate the shopping areas etc. with it and call it a shopping centre. People could park and walk to the shops, offices, etc. without having to bother with a bicycle.
    Ironically, we've built the very definition of a "monstrosity of a parking garage" at the Mall of America. And there is a big transit center there, with bus and light rail connections. BUT, quote: "Note: There are no Park & Ride spaces at Mall of America"..

    Mall of America Station - Metro Transit

  14. #14
    Senior Member loky1179's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Bikes
    2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns
    Posts
    513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
    This may sound like a no-brainer, but it recently occurred to me that the best way to reduce motor-traffic, encourage transit use and cycling, etc. would be to have large parking garages near the off-ramps of highways. That way, drivers could basically exit the highway by entering the parking garage. Airports often work this way but I can't think of any cities that induce people to leave their cars at the highway exit and travel further by bus, bike, etc.
    Minneapolis has many park and ride lots, and most of them are situated right next to major freeways.

  15. #15
    Senior Member RoadTire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    My Bikes
    '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb
    Posts
    1,942
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by loky1179 View Post
    Minneapolis has many park and ride lots, and most of them are situated right next to major freeways.

    Yep - TandemPower, just google Park and Ride Minneapolis MN. We have flat lots and ramps distributed around the cities. I park in them and finish the commute to work with my bike - on our Bicycle Freeway.
    FB4K - This December, 2014, 5288 kids received bikes for Christmas. For many, it was their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. That amounts to well over 10,000 volunteer hours this fall, just in the Twin Cities. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.
    Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Dave Cutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    in my recliner
    Posts
    2,706
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
    ...... it recently occurred to me that the best way to reduce motor-traffic.......
    I thought it was well accepted that eliminating the old paradigms of "work centers" and "downtowns" was the only logical means of reducing the wasted "travel time"..... referred to in the last century as commuting.
    Last edited by Dave Cutter; 05-29-15 at 05:08 PM.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Decatur, GA. USA
    My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker
    Posts
    1,397
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't identify with the idea that going downhill out of the parking garage is some kind of big attraction. Every time I point downhill I pause. The uphill ride always follows. Now you're ladden with packages and your departing impression is not as jolly as the start was.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    666
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
    I thought it was well accepted that eliminating the old paradigms "work centers" and "downtowns" was the only logical means of reducing the wasted "travel time"..... referred to in the last century as commuting.
    Unfortunately, there is a complex of automotive interests ranging from auto makers, to insurers, to fuel and parts suppliers and mechanics, to driving consumers, who are continuing to buy and drive cars with little regard for taking personal responsibility to limit economic and socio-geographic consequences of their choices.

    Each time you see a truck loaded with new cars rolling down a highway, that is upping the ante of how to keep those cars parked to minimize sprawl and congestion. It is economic interests of automotivism vs. human interests of limiting automotivism to make room and safety for (and promote) alternative modes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
    I don't identify with the idea that going downhill out of the parking garage is some kind of big attraction. Every time I point downhill I pause. The uphill ride always follows. Now you're ladden with packages and your departing impression is not as jolly as the start was.
    Maybe you missed the part of the OP that mentioned a pulley system for hoisting bikes back up to the top of the garage/hill when they're returned after use.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Dave Cutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    in my recliner
    Posts
    2,706
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
    Unfortunately, there is a complex of automotive interests ranging from auto makers, to insurers, to fuel and parts suppliers and mechanics, to driving consumers, who are continuing to buy and drive cars with little regard for taking personal responsibility to limit economic and socio-geographic consequences of their choices.
    OK.... you should move to America (we have open borders) and NONE of those other problems you seem to be afraid of.

    Quote Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
    Each time you see a truck loaded with new cars rolling down a highway, that is upping the ante of how to keep those cars parked to minimize sprawl and congestion.
    Here in America.... the new cars (AKA replacements) aren't even keeping up with the recycled cars. And "sprawl" is an old 17th century European concept.... more befitting the fears of [the] luddites [of the time] than thinking modern Americans. The idea of city's being static structures.... is a product of young minds with no working knowledge of history... as it just plain has no basis in fact.

    Quote Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
    It is economic interests of automotivism vs. human interests of limiting automotivism to make room and safety for (and promote) alternative modes.
    Sorry.... I just don't keep up with the conspiracy theories.

  20. #20
    Senior Member loky1179's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Bikes
    2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns
    Posts
    513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
    I don't identify with the idea that going downhill out of the parking garage is some kind of big attraction. Every time I point downhill I pause. The uphill ride always follows. Now you're ladden with packages and your departing impression is not as jolly as the start was.
    Walter, please don't confuse us with logic. Can't we just enjoy the downhill?!

  21. #21
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    41,793
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
    Stick to the topic. Don't distract the discussion to where I live. "Hill" is the most general word possible I can think of to describe an area of land that slopes from a higher elevation to a lower one. You focus on classification and cultural difference at the expense of communicative clarity.

    Maybe, but why use a ramp when you could build the garage/structure as a very broad, sloped pyramid-type shape with burmed sides and have bike paths going down in various directions as launch 'ramps' that could keep you coasting further down a bike road for 100m or more?
    Location does make a difference. You're simply not going to be able to build something of the size you're suggesting in an area like where I live ... or many areas where I've travelled. Why? Because of the terrain. It would be a major project to try to create a pyramid garage structure in a hilly area.

    And your comment about coasting for 100 metres or more also indicates that you're not familiar with cycling in hilly areas. That's not much of a coast! And what about climbing back up again?


    I'm failing to see the attractiveness of this idea. Why would anyone use it? Why would they want to park their cars in a giant pyramid and then have to cycle some distance to where they want to go?

  22. #22
    Senior Member loky1179's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Bikes
    2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns
    Posts
    513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
    OK.... you should move to America (we have open borders) and NONE of those other problems you seem to be afraid of.



    . . . ."sprawl" is an old 17th century European concept.... more befitting the fears of [the] luddites [of the time] than thinking modern Americans. The idea of city's being static structures.... is a product of young minds with no working knowledge of history... as it just plain has no basis in fact.



    Sorry.... I just don't keep up with the conspiracy theories.
    Yep. What do the Europeans know about building cities? Here in America, we've got it figured out. Our cities are so beautiful, even the water-towers smile.

    Cluster**** Nation by James Howard Kunstler


  23. #23
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    41,793
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
    I don't identify with the idea that going downhill out of the parking garage is some kind of big attraction. Every time I point downhill I pause. The uphill ride always follows. Now you're ladden with packages and your departing impression is not as jolly as the start was.
    Exactly!!

    I can ride downhill the moment I set foot outside my house ... a fairly steep, fast downhill that could keep me coasting for a long time. But then there's coming back.

    Of course I do it because you're not going to cycle in this area without a whole lot of down and up, and I want to improve my fitness. But if you just want to ride to the store and back so you don't have to spend money on fuel, I'm not sure how attractive the idea of slogging up a hill with all your stuff would be.



    I'm also not sure how attractive a pulley and hoist system would be. After all if people have had to ride up in an elevator to get the bicycles, why wouldn't they just ride up with the bicycles when they are finished?

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    666
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    Location does make a difference. You're simply not going to be able to build something of the size you're suggesting in an area like where I live ... or many areas where I've travelled. Why? Because of the terrain. It would be a major project to try to create a pyramid garage structure in a hilly area.
    Indeed this is an idea oriented more toward relatively flat terrain. In areas with more diverse elevation, the idea would be more to get people to park on the side of the highway, bike downhill to shops and destinations, and then maybe have some kind of ski-lift carry people and bikes back up to the garage. Every situation is specific. The idea posted here is mainly about combining the car-capture function of a parking garage near a highway exit ramp with the gravity-assist of riding downhill and convenience of having a pulley system to hoist the bike back to the top when people return to pick up their cars.

    And your comment about coasting for 100 metres or more also indicates that you're not familiar with cycling in hilly areas. That's not much of a coast! And what about climbing back up again?
    The distance would depend on the elevation of the garage/hill, wouldn't it? And how gradual the slope.

    I'm failing to see the attractiveness of this idea. Why would anyone use it? Why would they want to park their cars in a giant pyramid and then have to cycle some distance to where they want to go?
    Because biking would give visitors a larger opportunity range than walking, and so there would be more commercially developable area with bikable access. People rent theme-strollers and ride kiddie trains through malls. Why not bike around an open-air shopping mall of sorts? If you really wanted to be clever, you could call the burmed parking garage-hill 'Vesuvius' and call the open-air shopping/commercial/residential areas around the bottom of the hill 'Pompeii.' That's assuming the historical focus on the fatal eruption of the volcano wouldn't deter people from wanting to visit, work, and/or live in the area.

  25. #25
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    41,793
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in a city which has parking garages dotted throughout the general downtown area, and as we get closer to Christmas an area just a bit further out is employed as a park-and-ride. Or you can walk from there ... it's not far.

    My city has several pedestrian malls with lots of shopping, and of course businesses all around. It's a very walkable city and lots of people do walk.

    I fail to see the attraction of building a pyramid parking garage some at a highway off ramp when these facilities are already readily available and in place ... conveniently located for easy walking.


    Perhaps it would help if you drew up a map/plan of what you have in mind because I am having a lot of difficulty envisioning it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •