Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 211
  1. #1
    Senior Member Ty0604's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    My Bikes
    Spin & Fuji Newest 3.0
    Posts
    639
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Never had drivers license

    I love this forum!

    I'm 23 and I've never had my license and never plan to have it. I had my permit once but decided it wasn't for me. My mom was 57 when she passed away this year and never had hers. I live in a place where public transit is easily accessible and I bike otherwise. Who else on here has never had a license or never renewed it after it expired? How old are you?

  2. #2
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    45,174
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you use for photo identification?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ty0604's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    My Bikes
    Spin & Fuji Newest 3.0
    Posts
    639
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    What do you use for photo identification?
    US Passport Card. Allows entry into Canada, Mexico etc! Good for 10 years.

    Ppt_card_front.jpg

  4. #4
    Senior Member Ekdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seville, Spain
    My Bikes
    Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
    Posts
    4,119
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty0604 View Post
    US Passport Card. Allows entry into Canada, Mexico etc! Good for 10 years.

    Ppt_card_front.jpg
    Cool! I didn't know those existed. Definitely looks easier than carrying a passport around with you. A good option for those of us who are driver's license-free.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Ty0604's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    My Bikes
    Spin & Fuji Newest 3.0
    Posts
    639
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
    Cool! I didn't know those existed. Definitely looks easier than carrying a passport around with you. A good option for those of us who are driver's license-free.
    Much easier. Same size as your regular ID card. Has a chip that stores everything on it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member wolfchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
    My Bikes
    I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes
    Posts
    3,921
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everybody should have a drivers license...There are many benefits to having a drivers license, there are absolutely zero benefits to not having one.

  7. #7
    Senior Member SHBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    167
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No.

    If anything, the criteria for getting a license should be much higher.

    People seem to forget that driving is one of the leading causes of death.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Ekdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seville, Spain
    My Bikes
    Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
    Posts
    4,119
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHBR View Post
    No.

    If anything, the criteria for getting a license should be much higher.

    People seem to forget that driving is one of the leading causes of death.
    Good point. I don't want to participate in the slaughter.

  9. #9
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    23,283
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My DL expired a couple years ago and I never got it renewed. I haven't driven since before I got it renewed last time, so I couldn't justify the expense of renewing it. My state, like all states, issues a photo ID that by law must be accepted for ID purposes.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  10. #10
    Non omnino gravis DrIsotope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    SoCal, USA!
    My Bikes
    2014 KHS CX100
    Posts
    951
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm watching to see if we get anyone in here living life-long license-less in the state of California... because I reckon it impossible. We have a skeleton of a mass transit system, 90% of the roads have no accommodations for cyclists, and (I know this gets thrown around a lot) but everything is too spread out. My wife has a short commute to work-- just 28 miles one way, by freeway. I rode it on the bike, it's 33 by surface streets, and I was in a bike line for less than 5 of those miles.

    So California, two kids, work commute... yeah, we need licenses. I maybe could have lived car free at 23, though. But I drove to Vegas to get married at 20, so I guess maybe I couldn't.
    "I drink a whiskey drink, I drink a chocolate drink. And when I urinate, I use the kitchen sink." --Homer J. Simpson

  11. #11
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    23,283
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
    I'm watching to see if we get anyone in here living life-long license-less in the state of California... because I reckon it impossible. We have a skeleton of a mass transit system, 90% of the roads have no accommodations for cyclists, and (I know this gets thrown around a lot) but everything is too spread out. My wife has a short commute to work-- just 28 miles one way, by freeway. I rode it on the bike, it's 33 by surface streets, and I was in a bike line for less than 5 of those miles.

    So California, two kids, work commute... yeah, we need licenses. I maybe could have lived car free at 23, though. But I drove to Vegas to get married at 20, so I guess maybe I couldn't.
    Los Angeles and San Francisco actually rank among the highest for carfree populations in North America.

    L.A.?s Real Growth Is in Car-Free and Car-Lite Families | Streetsblog Los Angeles

    Car-Free Households Are Booming in San Francisco | Streetsblog San Francisco


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  12. #12
    Non omnino gravis DrIsotope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    SoCal, USA!
    My Bikes
    2014 KHS CX100
    Posts
    951
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That does nothing but prove my point. Downtown L.A. is 70 miles from me-- a little over a traffic-free hour by car, or a paltry 4 hours by public transit-- and the S.F. Metro is only 450 miles away. The L.A. metro without a car sounds terrifying. If one were to live in the S.F. area, they could presumably live without a car... but have you been to San Francisco? No thanks.
    "I drink a whiskey drink, I drink a chocolate drink. And when I urinate, I use the kitchen sink." --Homer J. Simpson

  13. #13
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    23,206
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
    If one were to live in the S.F. area, they could presumably live without a car... but have you been to San Francisco? No thanks.
    Even those who don't live in S.F. area should have no problem with a car free commute to a job in S.F. All they have to do is find an affordable second home () close to the job in the S.F. area.

  14. #14
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    23,283
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
    That does nothing but prove my point. Downtown L.A. is 70 miles from me-- a little over a traffic-free hour by car, or a paltry 4 hours by public transit-- and the S.F. Metro is only 450 miles away. The L.A. metro without a car sounds terrifying. If one were to live in the S.F. area, they could presumably live without a car... but have you been to San Francisco? No thanks.
    One thing that strikes me is the wide range of spaces where people live a carfree life. Hang around here for a while and you'll be pleasantly surprised by the areas where people are happily carfree. I really hope that some of the lurkers from California will pop out and tell us about it!


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  15. #15
    Senior Member 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    164
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
    but have you been to San Francisco?
    Yes, an awesome city. Had I enough to live there with my current standard of living I would start looking for a permanent lat move.
    Wait, you can sense it.......the butthurt is thick.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    My Bikes
    OPUS Dual Sport 2.0 2014
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been 18 months that I've been drivers license free.
    I live in Montreal, which is a city with quite solid public transportation.
    I'm also an avid bike commuter.

    Long story short, using the subway, train and bike, I can get around the entire metropolitan area (I'm talking more than just the inner city core) without ever getting onto a bus. My commute times are comparable to someone travelling by car.

    It's worked for me.

    Then again, cars are also hugely useful to society, and I'm not about to suggest we eliminate them.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Ekdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seville, Spain
    My Bikes
    Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
    Posts
    4,119
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
    I'm watching to see if we get anyone in here living life-long license-less in the state of California... because I reckon it impossible. We have a skeleton of a mass transit system, 90% of the roads have no accommodations for cyclists, and (I know this gets thrown around a lot) but everything is too spread out. My wife has a short commute to work-- just 28 miles one way, by freeway. I rode it on the bike, it's 33 by surface streets, and I was in a bike line for less than 5 of those miles.

    So California, two kids, work commute... yeah, we need licenses. I maybe could have lived car free at 23, though. But I drove to Vegas to get married at 20, so I guess maybe I couldn't.
    I was car-free for many years in my hometown, San Diego. Also lived sans automobile in Tijuana, L.A., San Francisco, Berkeley and Santa Cruz, among other places.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Ekdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seville, Spain
    My Bikes
    Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
    Posts
    4,119
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikinglife View Post
    Cars are also hugely useful to society, and I'm not about to suggest we eliminate them.
    How about reducing their numbers?

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Decatur, GA. USA
    My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker
    Posts
    2,545
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm car free but have no intention of becoming license free. I want to guard against an important reason to drive a car NOW. As it stands I could go rent a car and be on the road to a place in the middle of nowhere in a short time. I might go on a business trip to a place where I need a car. Or I might come to the aid of a family member in need for example. It's convenient identification and inexpensive insurance should I need it.
    Last edited by Walter S; 11-12-15 at 05:10 PM.

  20. #20
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    45,174
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
    I'm car free but have no intention of becoming license free. I want to guard against an important reason to drive a car NOW. As it stands I could go rent a car and be on the road to a place in the middle of nowhere in a short time. I might go on a business trip to a place where I need a car. Or I might to come to the aid of a family member in need for example. It's convenient identification and inexpensive insurance should I need it.
    +1

    I go some time without using mine ... but it does come in handy now and then.

    For example ... I drove for the first time in a long time (a year maybe?) a couple months ago because Rowan had surgery and needed someone to drive him home. We drove the route a few days before the actual event so that I felt a little more comfortable with it, and then I drove him home on the day.

    I suppose we could have gone with a taxi if it had really been necessary, but that would have been quite expensive getting out to where we live.

  21. #21
    Disco Infiltrator Darth Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Orangevale CA
    My Bikes
    '76 Paramount, 02 Hardrock, '98 C'Dale XR800, '04 Burley Samba, '15 Priority Classic
    Posts
    4,882
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    Even those who don't live in S.F. area should have no problem with a car free commute to a job in S.F. All they have to do is find an affordable second home () close to the job in the S.F. area.
    You can't have this park bench, it's mine
    Genesis 49:17 | Where does a mansplainer get his water? From a well, actually...

  22. #22
    Senior Member wolfchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
    My Bikes
    I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes
    Posts
    3,921
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still waiting for somebody to explain to me what's so great about not having a DL, what are the advantages of not having a DL ??...I really believe that every normal adult should have a valid DL....I just fail to see any advantages of not having a DL

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Decatur, GA. USA
    My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker
    Posts
    2,545
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
    I am still waiting for somebody to explain to me what's so great about not having a DL, what are the advantages of not having a DL ??...I really believe that every normal adult should have a valid DL....I just fail to see any advantages of not having a DL
    You can avoid learning to drive. Not worth the sacrifice IMO.

  24. #24
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    16,818
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 23 I had already been at the helm of a Ballistic Missile Nuclear Submarine , before I had my Land Lubbers Driving licence.

  25. #25
    Prefers Cicero cooker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others
    Posts
    10,094
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
    My wife has a short commute to work-- just 28 miles one way, by freeway.
    Any interest in pursuing a car-free lifestyle? You'd likely have to move.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •