Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: bikes not bombs

  1. #1
    Senior Member cosmo starr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    bikes not bombs

    every 26 days in the US alone the equivalent number of those killed on 9/11 are killed in car related deaths....who threatens americans the most, pick your wars....thats just what ive been thinking about lately and my current way of explaining the value of bikes to people who havent realized

  2. #2
    beginner budster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Somerset, NJ, USA
    My Bikes
    Trek 800, Gary Fisher Advance, Trek 2300 Pro
    Posts
    764
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a mind-blowing realization.

    Consider how much we've spent on pre-emptive/retaliatory "self-defense" because of 9/11, and how many lives we might have saved if we'd spent that much money on getting people out of their cars.

    Nice one, cosmo starr.
    Path of Abundance: Be Kind, be Generous, be Content, be Honest and be Aware.

    The first great gift we can bestow on others is a good example. -Thomas Morell
    A thimble of patience is worth more than a bushel of brains. -Dutch Proverb
    Never pass up the chance to keep your mouth shut. -Anonymous Cowboy

  3. #3
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,395
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always get a lot of arguments when I say I feel sorry for cagers, but I do. If you added in the deaths caused by their sedentary lifestyle (not to mention illness and even deaths caused by pollution), you would have counted an even greater tragedy.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,128
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmo starr
    every 26 days in the US alone the equivalent number of those killed on 9/11 are killed in car related deaths....who threatens americans the most, pick your wars....thats just what ive been thinking about lately and my current way of explaining the value of bikes to people who havent realized
    Even with the advances in motorcar technology regarding airbags, seatbelts and chassis structure, it hasn't stopped the number of deaths or even reversed the increasing numbers. The reason is due to the increasing speeds, aggressive driving, larger cars and faster engines create devastating wrecks on the highway.

  5. #5
    gwd
    gwd is offline
    Biker gwd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    DC
    My Bikes
    one Recumbent and one Utility Bike
    Posts
    1,917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
    Even with the advances in motorcar technology regarding airbags, seatbelts and chassis structure, it hasn't stopped the number of deaths or even reversed the increasing numbers. The reason is due to the increasing speeds, aggressive driving, larger cars and faster engines create devastating wrecks on the highway.
    My impression is that the direct car deaths have dropped from the 50000 per year range to the high 40 thousand range. Near the end of the Vietnam war, people used to say the total American deaths in Vietnam was about the same as the yearly car deaths, so why all the protests against the war but not against cars? Car accidents kill more than *** accidents so why aren't people as vocal about banning cars as they are about banning guns?

    Here in DC the city has noticed pedestrians getting killed by cars so they've decided to crack down on violators. There was an obituary in last Sunday's Washington Post for a man from an arts commission. He was struck by a car and killed. The obit forgot to mention that before he died, he was issued a ticket for causing the accident. The ticket part was reported earlier in the week. The police said he was at fault because he wasn't in a crosswalk. Coincidentally he was struck near our nation's first strip mall.

    There is no way for me to walk to the grocery store without jaywalking since none of the streets surrounding my home have crosswalks. Now, homocidal Washington Post readers know that any pedestrian not in a crosswalk is fair game. I suppose this is yet another reason to bike rather than walk.

  6. #6
    live free or die trying humancongereel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    where i lay my head is home.
    My Bikes
    bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion
    Posts
    6,999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what? another reason to bike rather than walk? cagers seem to think cyclists are the same as pedestrians, anyway. except they're more polite to peds.

  7. #7
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,395
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by humancongereel
    what? another reason to bike rather than walk? cagers seem to think cyclists are the same as pedestrians, anyway. except they're more polite to peds.
    This has not been my experience. About a month ago I had to defend myself from a motorist WHILE I WAS WALKING. This hothead almost hit Jerry and me as he was making a left turn. We yelled something at him and he stopped his car in the middle of the intersection, with his wife and baby in it, and came at us with his fists raised. I punched him 3 quick ones in his head and he got back in his car and drove off. I have NEVER had anything close to this happen while I was riding.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  8. #8
    Prefers Cicero cooker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others
    Posts
    8,422
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
    Even with the advances in motorcar technology regarding airbags, seatbelts and chassis structure, it hasn't stopped the number of deaths or even reversed the increasing numbers. The reason is due to the increasing speeds, aggressive driving, larger cars and faster engines create devastating wrecks on the highway.
    Probably true, but I believe another big factor is the increasing number of miles driven.

  9. #9
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,199
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
    Even with the advances in motorcar technology regarding airbags, seatbelts and chassis structure, it hasn't stopped the number of deaths or even reversed the increasing numbers. The reason is due to the increasing speeds, aggressive driving, larger cars and faster engines create devastating wrecks on the highway.
    Don't forget higher centers of gravity.

  10. #10
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,199
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody
    This has not been my experience. About a month ago I had to defend myself from a motorist WHILE I WAS WALKING. This hothead almost hit Jerry and me as he was making a left turn. We yelled something at him and he stopped his car in the middle of the intersection, with his wife and baby in it, and came at us with his fists raised. I punched him 3 quick ones in his head and he got back in his car and drove off. I have NEVER had anything close to this happen while I was riding.
    I can imagine the tongue lashing he got from his wife after he got back in the car, he probably got torn a new one. Glad you are fine.

  11. #11
    You gotta be who you be
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Conroe, TX
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Q6
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas
    I can imagine the tongue lashing he got from his wife after he got back in the car, he probably got torn a new one. Glad you are fine.
    I'm surprised he got back in the car. If'd I'd lost my temper and done something that clueless with wife in the car to record the event for all posterity to hear and relive for all time, to be told by email to every last corner of the earth to every female friend she has, every time one of them decides to complain about guys..... I think suicide standing in a bed of fireants might be less painful.

    Have pity.

  12. #12
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,395
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas
    I can imagine the tongue lashing he got from his wife after he got back in the car, he probably got torn a new one. Glad you are fine.
    Bullies like this usually have their wives beaten into submission, I'm afraid. She probabaly doesn't dare to criticize him. One (of several) worries I had after this incident is that he took out his anger toward me on her.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  13. #13
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,199
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody
    Bullies like this usually have their wives beaten into submission, I'm afraid. She probabaly doesn't dare to criticize him. One (of several) worries I had after this incident is that he took out his anger toward me on her.
    We'll have to tune into Jerry Springer to find out, I guess.

  14. #14
    live free or die trying humancongereel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    where i lay my head is home.
    My Bikes
    bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion
    Posts
    6,999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody
    This has not been my experience. About a month ago I had to defend myself from a motorist WHILE I WAS WALKING. This hothead almost hit Jerry and me as he was making a left turn. We yelled something at him and he stopped his car in the middle of the intersection, with his wife and baby in it, and came at us with his fists raised. I punched him 3 quick ones in his head and he got back in his car and drove off. I have NEVER had anything close to this happen while I was riding.
    huh...that's crazy. the worst i've ever had while walking is cars creeping forward on me while i'm in the crosswalk, or turning right and slamming on their brakes due to nearly hitting me. when that happens, i smile and shake my finger at them, like i'm saying "naughty, naughty", and then i walk really slowly in front of their car.

  15. #15
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,565
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody
    Bullies like this usually have their wives beaten into submission, I'm afraid. She probabaly doesn't dare to criticize him. One (of several) worries I had after this incident is that he took out his anger toward me on her.
    Did you ever reconsider the wisdom of your own actions of yelling something at him after he was no longer a threat, and thus escalating an incident (that was over) to the next stage? I assume you were not yelling sweet words to him in front of his wife.

    Next time someone like that might get out of the car in response to an insult with something in his hand other than a fist.

  16. #16
    Senior Member slagjumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Down on East End Avenue.
    My Bikes
    Salsa Las Cruces, Burley R&R and a boat load of others.
    Posts
    1,815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmo starr
    every 26 days in the US alone the equivalent number of those killed on 9/11 are killed in car related deaths....who threatens americans the most, pick your wars....thats just what ive been thinking about lately and my current way of explaining the value of bikes to people who havent realized
    Watch out the NSA might take your voters card and force you to attend a fundamentalist church. Who leaked this information?

    Cosmo, I don't know why this is so over looked.

    http://www.bts.gov/publications/nati...ble_01_11.html
    1960=61,671,390 Passenger cars
    2000=133,621,420 Passenger cars

    This shows that the rate per mile is declining.
    http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/
    Last edited by slagjumper; 12-31-05 at 10:21 PM.

  17. #17
    Senior Member capejohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Fairhaven, Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    Novara Randonee, Felt Z45, Marin Belvedere Commuter
    Posts
    1,708
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
    Did you ever reconsider the wisdom of your own actions of yelling something at him after he was no longer a threat, and thus escalating an incident (that was over) to the next stage? I assume you were not yelling sweet words to him in front of his wife.

    Next time someone like that might get out of the car in response to an insult with something in his hand other than a fist.
    Or then again, next time he may not be awake enough to get back to his car and family.
    Bike riding New England gentleman.

  18. #18
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,565
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by capejohn
    Or then again, next time he may not be awake enough to get back to his car and family.
    Then again...
    I suggest you take a look at this thread where there is some discussion about the wisdom/possible repercussions of yelling clever retorts at motorists who have already passed by a miffed cyclist:
    Vehicular Assault/Attempted Homicide in San Francisco

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •