Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes: 2006 Motobecane Le Champ SL, 2006 Mercier Kilo TT, 2004 Gary Fisher Tassajara
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
From the Article:
>>>>>>sometimes find it hard to believe there could be any more cars in the world than there are today. Yet if economic forecasts are to be believed, auto use will rise dramatically in coming years as emerging middle-class households in China, India and even Africa achieve the universal dream of owning their own means of transportation.<<<<
This is a very sad statement because traffic is already a nightmare in China, India and Africa and there's no way we have enough energy for every man, woman and child. This emerging middle class will drop to poverty if they have to spend all their money on fuel and associated motor costs. Been there and done that.
Or perhaps our use of energy and resources is too extravagant. Here are some, of course, not to mention all the unncessary car use (you all know about that already):
- Public bathroom lights that are left on all night long, even when no one uses them.
- Climate controlled offices at night
- Street lights on freeways and highways
- Office, non-server computers left on 24 hours
- The existence of buffet restaurants (all you can eat? 80% of the world has never heard of that term)
The 1st world middle class appears to be the world's upper class.