Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-11-07, 08:48 PM   #326
cristy
Member
 
cristy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta
Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Ruby Pro (x2), Giant Cypress, Specialized Ariel and an old Sears and Roebuck Free Spirit :)
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks. and I don't bother listening to people who snicker; if I did, my children wouldn't receive a God-centered education and I wouldn't have bothered to post my comment!
cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-07, 09:41 PM   #327
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,732
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Sometimes things get a little slow on Foo, and FXjohn patrolls the other forums. He sends his kids to a devil-centered school where they learn about evolution, global warming, Harry Potter and other sorcery.

I'm just glad some of our interesting newcomers are enjoying this great old thread!
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-07, 09:52 PM   #328
MACinRWC
Do Work
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Redwood City, California
Bikes: Trek 4500-Lemond Vanquer-Velosolex La Parisienn
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
easy now
I was cool with cristy,


and I have never really discussed evolution vs. creationism with someone before
so I really don;t know what to say





how do you not like harry potter books
I bet you never read one
but if you did-thats cool to have an opinion with backing reason





devil
sin
BIKES
MACinRWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-07, 09:56 PM   #329
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,732
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACinRWC View Post
easy now
I was cool with cristy,
and I have never really discussed evolution vs. creationism with someone before
so I really don;t know what to say

how do you not like harry potter books
I bet you never read one
but if you did-thats cool to have an opinion with backing reason

devil
sin
BIKES
um, huh?
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-07, 06:52 AM   #330
girona
biciclista
 
girona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Spain
Bikes:
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristy View Post
I need to learn to stop falling prey to commercialism and making impulse purchases.
Get rid off your TV. That's a start, after all TV is just a method of piping in advertisements with bits of entertainment throwed in to keep us watching it. And advertisements are there to make you buy things.
Most of us don't realize how influential TV commercials are.
Plus most of the entertainment on TV is garbage anyway.
girona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-07, 02:48 PM   #331
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter
 
JoeyBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Bikes: Surly LHT, and 3 others
Posts: 5,625
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBarna View Post
This topic came up in the 'lurkers' thread, and so I'm making it into its own topic.

I have always (well, ever since I wasn't a teenager anymore) liked simple living. I always strive to reduce the number of things I own. Currently I think that apart from a few pieces of furniture (mattress, three comfy chairs in the living room, a rug and the cat tree) I could fit my life into three moving boxes.
I can happily live out of four bicycle panniers. Have done that for over two years (total) of my life, normally three to six months at a time.

Otherwise, my lifestyle WAS pretty much as yours, except I owned no less than three bikes, and rented all of my furniture. Sometimes I would rent an empty apartment and buy a folding card table with two folding chairs from Wally World. I would sleep on a Therma-Rest mat on the floor. I would buy a nice skillet, and cook in my camping pots. Then when it was time for the next bike trip, lean the table and chairs against the apartment dumpster, load the bike, and hit the road. That lasted from age 30 through 37.

Then I got married to an awesome woman. She owns a house. I am now 49 and still pretty much junk-free, but not nearly so as before. If I thought of everything in that house as "ours" I would have lots of junk. But most of the "stuff" we own I believe is HERS! She owns a car, I still do not. She owns fifty pieces of cookware, I use three. She owns twenty window dressings (curtains), I look out of the windows. She picked and paid for all of the furniture, I have one favorite spot on the sofa. I do look at the bed as ours. I own 4 bikes, all of which I ride, she owns one bike that she never rides. I own five pairs of shoes that I wear, she owns fifty pairs of which she wears five.

So I guess I am now sort of a closet Thoreauvian. I still take off and hit the road with just four panniers every couple of years! Keeps me aware of what I REALLY need.
JoeyBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-07, 03:17 PM   #332
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter
 
JoeyBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Bikes: Surly LHT, and 3 others
Posts: 5,625
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXjohn View Post
<snicker>
Even though I uttered a small snicker to myself when I read that comment on Cristy's post, I had the awareness to realize that this lady (named after Christ, so you know religion runs deep in her family) is seeking answers on a BICYCLE forum! Proof that she is aware (on some level) the church may not have all the answers that she seeks. So she finds this place, which we all agree is chock full of information, and takes the time to type a really long post, which I interpreted as an honest appeal for help in an area where REAL PROVEN - no faith required - no collection plate passed - advice may be found. She could have gone to any number of religious forums if she really wanted a faith-based response. But she came here. And what did she find?

Sarcasm.

I thank you sir, because up until now, I thought I was the biggest jerk here.
JoeyBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 08:29 AM   #333
hero419
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am the complete opposite!
I don't even know how it would be possible to "live simple"
If you live in the country, you cant rent, you need to own a home.
If you own a home you need basic tools....
Does "living simple" leave less of an impact on the earth? I think it must be more of a "mental cleansing" thing.
If you rent it really doesn't cut down on material items. Someone still needs to own tools and such to maintain that property.

Maybe I am way of track. But unless you live off the land, how can you only have a few boxes worth of items?

I hope this post makes me sound only uneducated on the subject and not just plain dumb.
hero419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-07, 05:21 PM   #334
cadillacmike68
Campy NR / SR forever
 
cadillacmike68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: FL
Bikes: 1977-78 Raleigh Professional - bought new, 1987 Shogun 400 (for the lady)
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by girona View Post
Get rid off your TV. That's a start, after all TV is just a method of piping in advertisements with bits of entertainment throwed in to keep us watching it. And advertisements are there to make you buy things.
Most of us don't realize how influential TV commercials are.
Plus most of the entertainment on TV is garbage anyway.
What is rid doing ON my TV so that i have to get him off it?

I live simply - simply - compared to paris hilton and her sidekick!

I can't remember the last time I bought something because I saw it on TV.

Now if you'll all excuse me, I have to get over to the Cadillacforums web site to talk about FEDs (Fleetwoods, ElDorados and DeVilles - oh yes and the CTS)

Last edited by cadillacmike68; 09-01-07 at 07:51 PM.
cadillacmike68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-07, 09:05 PM   #335
Newspaperguy
Senior Member
 
Newspaperguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 2,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I was widowed four years ago, I made an effort to simplify my life and remove the clutter.

I've gotten rid of a lot of stuff from my house. With each load I took to the thrift shops or the landfill, I felt a weight lifted from my shoulders. There were things I simply didn't need or want. There had been a reason for acquiring them, but the reasons were no longer valid. My life has changed and with it, my needs have changed. There are also things I've picked up during this period, but in each case, I was careful to ask myself if a purchase was needed and if I was getting good value. I've never been a big spender, but I'm now saving more money than ever before.

I've also simplified my calendar and my schedule. I've gotten involved with some things and I've dropped out of others. I believe in getting involved in my community, but I also need to have time for myself and time with the people I care about. I won't get involved with any organization, no matter how noble it may sound, if it's not a passion for me. This is not to put down any worthwhile cause or organization, but unless I'm truly interested, I won't give it the attention it deserves. I rejected one group partly because their meetings were on my busiest work day and partly because I didn't have the enthusiasm for their goals, as worthwhile as they are.

During this process, I've had to accept that there are things I won't be able to accomplish during my lifetime. I simply don't have time for everything I'd like to do. Again, this is about determining what is important to me. The freedom to abandon some projects has been extremely liberating.

My life, my time and my money are gifts from God. With these gifts comes the responsibility to use them responsibly. If I can do that, I can begin to achieve simplicity.
Newspaperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-07, 07:19 AM   #336
oldfool
Infidel
 
oldfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bayou Blue, La. but I ain't from around here
Bikes: 1976 step thru Schwin 10 speed with fenders, home made20" long bike, '73 Puegeot P-15, several beaters, kids bikes and projects
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero419 View Post
I am the complete opposite!
I don't even know how it would be possible to "live simple"
If you live in the country, you cant rent, you need to own a home.
If you own a home you need basic tools....
Does "living simple" leave less of an impact on the earth? I think it must be more of a "mental cleansing" thing.
If you rent it really doesn't cut down on material items. Someone still needs to own tools and such to maintain that property.

Maybe I am way of track. But unless you live off the land, how can you only have a few boxes worth of items?

I hope this post makes me sound only uneducated on the subject and not just plain dumb.
You sound neither uneducated or dumb. Sounds to me like you pretty much have it figured out.
oldfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-07, 08:59 AM   #337
Platy
Dare to be weird!
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Austin TX
Bikes: Hybridized 1970s Coppi road bike; Townie city cruiser
Posts: 1,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think "living simply" boils down in most cases to being debt free.
Platy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-07, 10:58 PM   #338
cadillacmike68
Campy NR / SR forever
 
cadillacmike68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: FL
Bikes: 1977-78 Raleigh Professional - bought new, 1987 Shogun 400 (for the lady)
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newspaperguy View Post
When I was widowed four years ago, I made an effort to simplify my life and remove the clutter.

I've gotten rid of a lot of stuff from my house. With each load I took to the thrift shops or the landfill, I felt a weight lifted from my shoulders. There were things I simply didn't need or want. There had been a reason for acquiring them, but the reasons were no longer valid. My life has changed and with it, my needs have changed. There are also things I've picked up during this period, but in each case, I was careful to ask myself if a purchase was needed and if I was getting good value. I've never been a big spender, but I'm now saving more money than ever before.

My life, my time and my money are gifts from God. With these gifts comes the responsibility to use them responsibly. If I can do that, I can begin to achieve simplicity.
My wife and I need to de-clutter - our house is going to burst at the seams. ebay to the rescue!
cadillacmike68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-07, 10:04 PM   #339
Anthony872
Junior Member
 
Anthony872's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Bikes:
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by girona View Post
Get rid off your TV. That's a start, after all TV is just a method of piping in advertisements with bits of entertainment throwed in to keep us watching it. And advertisements are there to make you buy things.
Most of us don't realize how influential TV commercials are.
Plus most of the entertainment on TV is garbage anyway.
I Just did
Anthony872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-07, 08:39 AM   #340
Cowtown Cumuter
Senior Member
 
Cowtown Cumuter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Bikes: 1982 Norco Pinnacle
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have way too much stuff, but I also have a family of four and that makes it difficult to manage the clutter sometimes. My Wife and I do our best to keep it to a minimum but the kids sure like having lots of stuff.
Cowtown Cumuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-07, 02:32 PM   #341
Specialized fan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero419 View Post
I am the complete opposite!
I don't even know how it would be possible to "live simple"
If you live in the country, you cant rent, you need to own a home.
If you own a home you need basic tools....
Does "living simple" leave less of an impact on the earth? I think it must be more of a "mental cleansing" thing.
If you rent it really doesn't cut down on material items. Someone still needs to own tools and such to maintain that property.

Maybe I am way of track. But unless you live off the land, how can you only have a few boxes worth of items?

I hope this post makes me sound only uneducated on the subject and not just plain dumb.
I also am on the opposite end of the simple living scale. I have lived simply much of my life, and it sucks. I now have 2 cars one big SUV, a flat screen TV plus 3 other tvs through out the house an 3 computers and will add more. I am now addicted to comfort and don't want to give it up.
Specialized fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-07, 02:15 PM   #342
Tri-FatBoy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Bikes:
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialized fan View Post
I also am on the opposite end of the simple living scale. I have lived simply much of my life, and it sucks. I now have 2 cars one big SUV, a flat screen TV plus 3 other tvs through out the house an 3 computers and will add more. I am now addicted to comfort and don't want to give it up.
Well, not withstanding my wife & kids stuff, I'm down to 3 bikes (soon to be 2) and my computer addiction: 2 laptops, 4 servers, and 42U of other misc network gear. Outside of that however, I can more or less live out of my camelback as needed.

We do have a house, and 2 cars (cars paid for, house is not) and all of the wonderful things that come along with kids (toys, toys, and more toys).

We are slowly getting down to 2 TV's 1 in the guest room and one in the 'game' room, the wife doesn't want to give it up completely.

~fatBoy
http://trifatboy.com
Tri-FatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-07, 06:21 AM   #343
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 12,490
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
My Dad died this past spring and cleaning out his house really brought home how much stuff we collect over the years. I admire your philsophy and though I am not anywhere near as frugal, I have never owned a car or even had a license for one. However, the big limitation for me in leading a more frugal life is the spouse and teenager. They love to spend and collect things. So I was just wondering, how many of you have spouses and/or kids living with you?
T-Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-07, 09:32 AM   #344
WriteABike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Smithfield, UT
Bikes: Felt F60, Apollo Concorde, Easy Racers Javelin, Panasonic Tourist, Unknown Steel MTB
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a wife and two little girls living with me. A few weeks ago, I went on a rant about how we have too much junk. (Specifically cheap toys from China. They get scattered all over the house, and more and more keep sneaking in.) The next day while I was at work, my wife (bless her) bagged up nearly all of the kids' toys and put them in the closet. Our whole house is much tidier now, and the kids are just as happy with only a few toys. (Or happier! I think they get as overwhelmed by the mess as I do.)

My wife didn't like the idea of putting all the toys into storage, but she appreciates it now. The kids hardly noticed. All they really need to have a great time is two dolls and some couch cushions. Outside, all they need is gravel and buckets. Despite having so much stuff given to them, they still know how to live simply. I'd like to keep it that way. (It would make life much easier in ten years.)
WriteABike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-07, 05:37 PM   #345
Versa2nr
I'm whats for dinner
 
Versa2nr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outskirts of Houston
Bikes: 06 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have spent the last few hours just perusing through this thread and I have to say I find it very interesting. I myself am not one to criticize the way someone else lives and I have found myself interested in finding out how others in society go about on a day to day basis.

For me I am actually considering becoming a bum for a year. I am 27 now and it is something that I have thought about. I guess you could call it a study in modern civilization. I wouldnt be truly a bum but lving on no more than 60 dollars a week. If anything just walking everywhere and not having anything that I couldnt carry with me.

It seems the greater part of society is infatuated with "keeping up with the Jonses" and living a life on easy street. I guess for me I want to better understand things and I am actually wanting to do this in search of enlightenment. I guess in order to best understand the man you would have to be the man.
Versa2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-07, 05:46 PM   #346
Specialized fan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versa2nr View Post
I have spent the last few hours just perusing through this thread and I have to say I find it very interesting. I myself am not one to criticize the way someone else lives and I have found myself interested in finding out how others in society go about on a day to day basis.

For me I am actually considering becoming a bum for a year. I am 27 now and it is something that I have thought about. I guess you could call it a study in modern civilization. I wouldnt be truly a bum but lving on no more than 60 dollars a week. If anything just walking everywhere and not having anything that I couldnt carry with me.

It seems the greater part of society is infatuated with "keeping up with the Jonses" and living a life on easy street. I guess for me I want to better understand things and I am actually wanting to do this in search of enlightenment. I guess in order to best understand the man you would have to be the man.
I have been there and done that too and it sucks! I'll take easy street any day!
Specialized fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-07, 06:37 PM   #347
wahoonc
Senior Member
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
Posts: 16,768
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialized fan View Post
I have been there and done that too and it sucks! I'll take easy street any day!
And how will you adapt when "easy street" goes away? I think those of us that chose to live simply and below our means are going to be way ahead of the game come economic/environmental disaster (which ever gets here first) FWIW I could lose my job today and not have to really worry about it for quite some time. I have plenty of creature comforts, and have never gone hungry. What more do you really need other than shelter and food? The rest is all just window dressing.

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-07, 06:39 PM   #348
wahoonc
Senior Member
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
Posts: 16,768
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteABike View Post
I have a wife and two little girls living with me. A few weeks ago, I went on a rant about how we have too much junk. (Specifically cheap toys from China. They get scattered all over the house, and more and more keep sneaking in.) The next day while I was at work, my wife (bless her) bagged up nearly all of the kids' toys and put them in the closet. Our whole house is much tidier now, and the kids are just as happy with only a few toys. (Or happier! I think they get as overwhelmed by the mess as I do.)

My wife didn't like the idea of putting all the toys into storage, but she appreciates it now. The kids hardly noticed. All they really need to have a great time is two dolls and some couch cushions. Outside, all they need is gravel and buckets. Despite having so much stuff given to them, they still know how to live simply. I'd like to keep it that way. (It would make life much easier in ten years.)
Been there done that! When my two were much younger we had a house rule. If dad picked the toys up they went in a box at the bottom of the stairs, the stuff in the box was supposed to be put away every night. At the end of the week the stuff in the box got bagged up, 2 weeks later it went to the local thrift store. Today's kids have waaaay too much junk...and most adults too

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-07, 10:11 PM   #349
Specialized fan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
And how will you adapt when "easy street" goes away? I think those of us that chose to live simply and below our means are going to be way ahead of the game come economic/environmental disaster (which ever gets here first) FWIW I could lose my job today and not have to really worry about it for quite some time. I have plenty of creature comforts, and have never gone hungry. What more do you really need other than shelter and food? The rest is all just window dressing.

Aaron
Easy street will not go away as I have many investments in a diversified portfolio.
Specialized fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-07, 11:20 PM   #350
Newspaperguy
Senior Member
 
Newspaperguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 2,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialized fan View Post
Easy street will not go away as I have many investments in a diversified portfolio.
That's very wise, Specialized fan. It's a good idea to have investments, savings and assets set aside. You're in much better financial shape than a lot of people I know. I wish others would follow your example and plan for the future.

Preparation work can get you through a lot of bad scenarios, but the best investment portfolio is not a guarantee of a perpetual Easy Street. Wars, revolution, disease, widespread market collapse and other factors can penetrate the strongest investment plans. There are far too many stories, just from the past century, of refugees who were once wealthy but escaped their homes with just the clothes on their backs. It could happen again.
Newspaperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:57 PM.