Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 51 of 65 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1622
  1. #1251
    Senior Member kookaburra1701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8
    Posts
    1,339
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >If it would have had a squishy pad it would have been just as comfortable as s regular bed.

    I had a few of those eggshell pads cut to fit the cot, and it was fine. Biggest problem was my fat-arse cat trying to shove me out of the warm spot, but moving up to a queen size bed hasn't resolved that.
    2014 Specialized Dolce, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

  2. #1252
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville Florida
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Glacier MTB/Commuter. Cannondale CAAD5, Windsor Timeline fixed gear
    Posts
    766
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sleep on just a folder up comforter in the floor pretty often. I have noticed that when I sleep on it, I get some back pain for about the first three days, but it feels like a "good" back pain if that makes any sense. Its almost like the floor is adjusting my back to where is should be. After the three days or so, I feel amazing.

    Once I go back to a regular bed, I once again start to feel some back pain...unfortunately, this time is not a good feeling, lol.

    I would love to stay sleeping on the floor full time, but I don't think the gf would like me abandoning her in the bed, and she definitely wouldn't have any part in sleeping on the floor
    Quote Originally Posted by M_S View Post
    ..... but at the end of the day we're all just dorks riding around on bicycles, right?

  3. #1253
    Senior Member BadBoy10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South Florida!
    My Bikes
    Mercier Mini Velo, Rivendell Quickbeam, 80's Hampton Beach Cruiser
    Posts
    267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! Exactly!
    Mom doesn't think I am comfortable.
    This twin air is quite comfy and has alleviated my back pain.
    Beds larger than twins overwhelm me--when I have company--there have been complaints.
    Which leads to why I won't shack up.
    Read the entire thread...might help. Different spokes for different folks...stop being so blasted superficially sanctimonious. You dont know everything and are not perfect.

  4. #1254
    Senior Member Smallwheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    I'm in East Helena Montana for now.
    Posts
    1,282
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my twenties my mother put one of those egg crate foam tops on my bed. I used it for one night with the pointy side up. I didn't like it at all. I understand the theory about why it is beneficial but that didn't make it comfortable.

    Sleeping on the floor can be OK with some padding. I gave it a try two years ago to see if it would help my back. It didn't. For a few days with nothing more than a comforter I slept fine. The mattress is still more comfortable. The cot is more comfortable than the floor. I've never used a futon for very long. Those are different and some brands must be different from others.

    The futons I've seen are sectional with very big lumpy segments. They were held together by big buttons going across them. Those dips where the buttons were seemed too big. They must make sleep less pleasant. Is that the case? Someone here mentioned having the Japanese version of futons. They were expensive and looked similar to the ones I've seen. They had two folds that made three segments and they were designed to be used on floors. That would be a very simple bed and it would be more portable than a spring mattress with a box spring.

    Would having the ability to pack up and move easily be one aspect of living simply? My idea of simplifying my life is only related to possessions because my work and social lives are already simple. There isn't anything I really want to change other than creating some type of job for me to be self employed. In the mean time I just get jobs.
    Smallwheels

    Take my stuff, please. I have way too much. My current goal is to have all of my possessions fit onto a large bicycle trailer. Really.

  5. #1255
    Senior Member ukoro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Largo, Florida
    My Bikes
    Tern Link C7
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have any of you tried a Japanese Futon? I've heard good things about the ones located here (http://www.jlifeinternational.com/index_e.html) and am considering getting one somewhat soon.

    For the past few years, I have been switching between an Air Mattress and an American Futon. I nearly slept on the Air Mattress for close to 2 years straight and it started giving me back pain and am now back on the American Futon.

    The Futon I feel has corrected the pain I was receiving from the Air Mattress but I don't feel like I get a quality sleep from it.

    Air Mattress: AeroBed EnduraBed (Discontinued) (It was an outdoor model which probably attributed to its failure for me)

    Futon: Jaclyn Smith Traditions Mission Futon (http://www.kmart.com/jaclyn-smith-tr...W434244510001P)

    If you have any alternative bedding ideas that can be stored away after use feel free to mention those as well.

  6. #1256
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville Florida
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Glacier MTB/Commuter. Cannondale CAAD5, Windsor Timeline fixed gear
    Posts
    766
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of air mattress love here...personally I would sleep better on cold tile in the middle of December than I have ever slept on an air mattress.

    The Japanese futon does seem interesting. I helped a friend build a "frame" for one, one tile for his daughter. It was basically like a low wooden table for it to lay on. The neat thing was that they wanted it built with no metal parts since it has something to do with Feng Shui or something. We did all attachment points with a drill and dowel rods.
    Quote Originally Posted by M_S View Post
    ..... but at the end of the day we're all just dorks riding around on bicycles, right?

  7. #1257
    Senior Member Zedoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Boodling the Mitten
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As media storage and other electronic devices become smaller, more can be kept in the same amount of space. That may lead to a much larger collection of media and more time spent managing the collection, and possibly never actually reading, hearing, or watching the media.

  8. #1258
    Senior Member Smallwheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    I'm in East Helena Montana for now.
    Posts
    1,282
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zedoo View Post
    As media storage and other electronic devices become smaller, more can be kept in the same amount of space. That may lead to a much larger collection of media and more time spent managing the collection, and possibly never actually reading, hearing, or watching the media.
    home_organization.png
    One day this might be me, though I would probably own a reclining chair and stay in that all of the time.
    Smallwheels

    Take my stuff, please. I have way too much. My current goal is to have all of my possessions fit onto a large bicycle trailer. Really.

  9. #1259
    Senior Member JeanSeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central Quebec
    Posts
    379
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My current sleeping "apparatus" consists of a sleeping bag laying on top of a trifolded comforter. If it's warm I sleep on top of the bag, if cold, well... in it.

    I've never slept better. Actually I visited my parents a couple of weeks ago, slept in an actual bed and was sore after that.

  10. #1260
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For breakfast, I would have coffee and toast, sometimes, I drink orange juice. I usually wear jeans and shirt and would ride my bicycle to practically wherever I go, unless of course it would be several miles away. I sleep on the floor when I feel like it, I would just place my mattress on the floor. I try to keep costs at a minimum without sacrificing comfort. Last month, I got to make a wise decision of getting rid of my dedicated fax line and opted for this http://www.maxemail.com/max/online-fax.html It is really savings (now I would have some extra cash for a weekend movie, even just once a month). Anyway, if I'm tired, I don't prepare dinner and would have some meals delivered. And btw, I still watch cartoons if I'm stressed out.

  11. #1261
    sniffin' glue zoltani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road
    Posts
    3,183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is several miles to you? To me several miles is definitely bikable.
    Those who are easily shocked should be shocked more often.

  12. #1262
    Senior Member Smallwheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    I'm in East Helena Montana for now.
    Posts
    1,282
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My idea of simple living is changing again. With my frustrations building regarding working only at a part time job, my mind is ready to dump everything just to move to a place where there are better opportunities. I walked around my living room and bedroom and the amount of things I want to keep is shrinking. In my living room all I saw worth keeping were my toolbox (living rooms are for the important things right) and my Xootr scooter. There are many other things in there that six months ago I just had to keep.

    In my bedroom all I want is my computer equipment, some clothing, air cleaner, two exercise devices, bongos, and about four mementos that belonged to my mother. There are a few other practical things in the kitchen but wow, frustration can really make a person prioritize in life. I have never, ever, been this way before.

    I have no exact words for the way I feel about this. Have I reached my own personal realization that I really don't need things, or has my situation just made me select the things I feel are useful to me? Even some of the useful things could be jettisoned if the need arose. It's as if I'm half way to the point of not needing possessions. I want to reach that point in my psyche where I have no attachments.

    I knew a lady who had no attachments. She was a Catholic Nun that grew up with my mother. That is how I knew her. People would give her gifts of all kinds. If she saw that somebody liked anything she had in her little apartment she would try to give it to them.

    As long as I had some clothes, a way to get around, some money for rent and food I know I could abandon everything else and live securely, but would that be enough? I've come close to doing this before when Hurricane Katrina forced me to evacuate New Orleans. The differences are that back then I had a lot of money in the bank and this time the paring down is voluntary.
    Smallwheels

    Take my stuff, please. I have way too much. My current goal is to have all of my possessions fit onto a large bicycle trailer. Really.

  13. #1263
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,580
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post
    My idea of simple living is changing again. With my frustrations building regarding working only at a part time job, my mind is ready to dump everything just to move to a place where there are better opportunities. I walked around my living room and bedroom and the amount of things I want to keep is shrinking. In my living room all I saw worth keeping were my toolbox (living rooms are for the important things right) and my Xootr scooter. There are many other things in there that six months ago I just had to keep.

    In my bedroom all I want is my computer equipment, some clothing, air cleaner, two exercise devices, bongos, and about four mementos that belonged to my mother. There are a few other practical things in the kitchen but wow, frustration can really make a person prioritize in life. I have never, ever, been this way before.

    I have no exact words for the way I feel about this. Have I reached my own personal realization that I really don't need things, or has my situation just made me select the things I feel are useful to me? Even some of the useful things could be jettisoned if the need arose. It's as if I'm half way to the point of not needing possessions. I want to reach that point in my psyche where I have no attachments.

    I knew a lady who had no attachments. She was a Catholic Nun that grew up with my mother. That is how I knew her. People would give her gifts of all kinds. If she saw that somebody liked anything she had in her little apartment she would try to give it to them.

    As long as I had some clothes, a way to get around, some money for rent and food I know I could abandon everything else and live securely, but would that be enough? I've come close to doing this before when Hurricane Katrina forced me to evacuate New Orleans. The differences are that back then I had a lot of money in the bank and this time the paring down is voluntary.
    I really feel for you. It sounds like you're in a tough situation and getting frustrated. I've been there myself a few times, so I know it's really hard for you right now. Just remember that this too shall pass, and soon you'll look back at this as a "character building" time. My thoughts are with you!


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  14. #1264
    Senior Member JeanSeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central Quebec
    Posts
    379
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel for you also. It seems that it is pretty much where I stand right now. I've been letting go of pretty much everything lately, although I have trouble getting started selling things. I'm selling all my bicycles except my commuter. I also realized that I enjoy walking. I'm within a 20 minute walk of everywhere I need to go usually. The only reason I use my bike for is visiting my parents in the next town over.

    Some might remember the end of April as the time I spent preparing to leave on a bicycle tour with the purpose of relocating afterwards. I've made my trip, I'm done relocating and found a place and a job near each other. I'm really enjoying my car-free life right now. I was able to take the summer off to travel, spend copious amounts of time reflecting, pare down my possessions and also digitalize my music and photos.

    The question that is troubling me the most is: What now ? I know that simple living is part of me and makes me deeply happy, but what am I supposed to do with all my time ? There are many things I like to read about when I have the opportunity, thinking I can just choose something to study in university. But should I go spend 4-5 precious years studying something I enjoy now, but may not in the end ? Or should I spend that time traveling ? A part of me likes Epicureanism: living a simple life away from the limelight, devoid of stress and pain. I'd like to study philosophy, maybe I could figure myself out a little better.

    I really enjoy reading everyone's posts, especially in this thread. Thank you.

  15. #1265
    Senior Member chrism32205's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Axis, Specialized Tricross S-Works
    Posts
    649
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not car free.. I try to be car lite, combining trips and try not to drive if I don't a specific reason to go some where that requires driving. One pretty big recent event for me.. at least.. I've got rid of my Direct TV and sold my television. It's been about a month now and I don't miss it. I spend that extra time either outside in the yard, riding, or watching things online.

    Just wanted to share.

  16. #1266
    In the right lane gerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Posts
    9,139
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrism32205 View Post
    I am not car free.. I try to be car lite, combining trips and try not to drive if I don't a specific reason to go some where that requires driving. One pretty big recent event for me.. at least.. I've got rid of my Direct TV and sold my television. It's been about a month now and I don't miss it. I spend that extra time either outside in the yard, riding, or watching things online.

    Just wanted to share.
    Yeah... I gave up Direct TV a while ago and moved to NetFlix. And now I've pretty much switched to YouTube and BikeForums. Along with riding I also like to pick endlessly at my bikes.

  17. #1267
    Senior Member chrism32205's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Axis, Specialized Tricross S-Works
    Posts
    649
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerv View Post
    Yeah... I gave up Direct TV a while ago and moved to NetFlix. And now I've pretty much switched to YouTube and BikeForums. Along with riding I also like to pick endlessly at my bikes.
    Just YouTube for me. I found many channels that have great documentaries. Also enjoy BF.

  18. #1268
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,264
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Local TV, DVD's from the library, PBS.org, Top Documentaries, Discovery Channel Canada, National Film Board of Canada, YouTube. And my collection of VHS tapes.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  19. #1269
    Senior Member Newspaperguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    2,206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found some information recently about the gasoline rationing which was in place in Canada and the U.S. during World War II. Motorists were allotted four gallons a week at first and later three gallons or a little more than 11 litres a week. My fuel consumption in 2011 averaged to less than half the allotment during the most stringent period of rationing. Most of my short trips were by bike or on foot. The car was used for longer travel. Transit is not an option for me since we do not yet have a scheduled transit service where I live.

    At no point did I feel hampered or restricted. For me, the limited driving simply makes a lot of sense.
    Life is good.

  20. #1270
    Senior Member kookaburra1701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8
    Posts
    1,339
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just moved into a new apartment complex, and for the first time I don't have an in-unit washer/dryer, I've got to use the laundry center. $1.75 for one load! I already have an albatross-style drying rack, but now I've got a washboard and laundry-plunger on their way to me. It'll be interesting to see if I can make a go of hand-washing most of my clothes. I'm hoping to be able to only use the laundry center for bedsheets and rugs and stuff.
    2014 Specialized Dolce, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

  21. #1271
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,580
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kookaburra1701 View Post
    I've just moved into a new apartment complex, and for the first time I don't have an in-unit washer/dryer, I've got to use the laundry center. $1.75 for one load! I already have an albatross-style drying rack, but now I've got a washboard and laundry-plunger on their way to me. It'll be interesting to see if I can make a go of hand-washing most of my clothes. I'm hoping to be able to only use the laundry center for bedsheets and rugs and stuff.
    You might want some sort of wringer also. Washing lightly soiled clothes is pretty easy. Rinsing them and wringing them out is more difficult. It will also tear up the skin on your hands.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  22. #1272
    Senior Member Smallwheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    I'm in East Helena Montana for now.
    Posts
    1,282
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were in the position without a washing machine I would buy a used one. The last one I owned came from an appliance repair guy. He said that when many people upgrade their machines they needed him to haul away the older ones. He sold a bare bones one year old washing machine to me for just $150.

    You could put the machine on a cart with wheels and connect it to your kitchen sink faucet. The water in the machine could drain into the sink. There are rubber adapters that fit over a faucet. They're like socks. The other end screws into the intake hose. You wouldn't need to connect both the hot and cold sides. Just use the hot side for a warm rinse cycle or in the middle of the cycle turn off the hot water and turn on the cold water.

    Over time you would save money with your own machine.

    Plungers with buckets do save money but they take up your time. I would use that method if I were in an RV away from a city. Kookaburra1701 let us know how the plunger works. If it works well I might get one to have as a backup machine. I've already got a big bucket.
    Smallwheels

    Take my stuff, please. I have way too much. My current goal is to have all of my possessions fit onto a large bicycle trailer. Really.

  23. #1273
    Senior Member kookaburra1701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8
    Posts
    1,339
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    You might want some sort of wringer also. Washing lightly soiled clothes is pretty easy. Rinsing them and wringing them out is more difficult. It will also tear up the skin on your hands.
    I'm saving up for a wringer - I haven't found any less than $80, and those were cheap-feeling plastic ones. The one I want is metal and screws onto the side of the washbasin, but it's $150.
    2014 Specialized Dolce, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

  24. #1274
    Senior Member kookaburra1701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8
    Posts
    1,339
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post
    If I were in the position without a washing machine I would buy a used one. The last one I owned came from an appliance repair guy. He said that when many people upgrade their machines they needed him to haul away the older ones. He sold a bare bones one year old washing machine to me for just $150.

    You could put the machine on a cart with wheels and connect it to your kitchen sink faucet. The water in the machine could drain into the sink. There are rubber adapters that fit over a faucet. They're like socks. The other end screws into the intake hose. You wouldn't need to connect both the hot and cold sides. Just use the hot side for a warm rinse cycle or in the middle of the cycle turn off the hot water and turn on the cold water.

    Over time you would save money with your own machine.

    Plungers with buckets do save money but they take up your time. I would use that method if I were in an RV away from a city. Kookaburra1701 let us know how the plunger works. If it works well I might get one to have as a backup machine. I've already got a big bucket.
    The plunger-thingy I got was this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
    It's still in transit.

    Unfortunately there really is no place to have a washing machine in this apartment, it's way too small. I already had to give 4 pieces of furniture away to Goodwill because they just wouldn't fit in the unit. I might give more away, it still feels crowded. I'm used to washing things by hand - I'm a knitter, so lots of my wool socks and other garments I've made have to be handwashed cold and then stretched and pinned to retain their shape while drying. I figure if I do it often enough, and don't let the clothes pile up (I don't have that many anyways, only about 4 changes) I should be able to get it done during the evening news.
    2014 Specialized Dolce, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

  25. #1275
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,580
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kookaburra1701 View Post
    I'm saving up for a wringer - I haven't found any less than $80, and those were cheap-feeling plastic ones. The one I want is metal and screws onto the side of the washbasin, but it's $150.
    Given you investment in hand washing stuff, it seems like you would have to do at least 100 loads before you save any money over the coin machines in your complex. And that doesn't include the costs of water, electricity, or your time. Are you sure it's worth it?


    "Think Outside the Cage"

Page 51 of 65 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •