Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 64
  1. #1
    Senior Member trmcgeehan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Somerset, KY -- near Lake Cumberland
    My Bikes
    1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes
    Posts
    757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    $900 Volvo Fuel Pump!

    I have a '93 Volvo wagon with 223,000 miles on it. The original fuel pump finally went out, and I soon learrned Volvos have TWO fuel pumps, one in the tank and one under the car. So I replaced both of them. $900 later, I was back on the road. I could have gotten a hell of a nice new bike for $900. Volvos are great cars, but when they break, they are mucho expensivo.
    "I am a true laborer. I earn that I eat, get that I wear, owe no man hate, envy no man's happiness, glad of other men's good, content with my harm." As You Like It, Act 3, Scene 2. Shakespeare.
    "Deep down, I'm pretty superficial." Ava Gardner.

  2. #2
    Conservative Hippie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wakulla Co. FL
    Posts
    4,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, you could have bought a nice bike and a bunch of accessories for 900 bucks, but look at it another way. $900 worth of repairs ain't bad at all for a car pushing a quarter of a million miles.

  3. #3
    Pretty Hate Machine Weeks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Down in it
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Brava
    Posts
    435
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i cannot believe two fuel pumps cost so much! i just replaced mine on a 91 nissan sentra for 100 bucks (including labor)

  4. #4
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,843
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Weeks
    i cannot believe two fuel pumps cost so much! i just replaced mine on a 91 nissan sentra for 100 bucks (including labor)
    If you want to be amazed, check the prices for high speed bicycle pedals, seat posts, handlebars, shifters, brake levers, etc. Better yet check the prices on the latest high fashion styrofoam hats from the LBS boutiques.

  5. #5
    Hippykid
    Guest
    Did you get genuine volvo parts or copy parts???

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    77
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Volvo Fuel Pump

    You were had: see http://www.brickboard.com for more ideas and specifically the 700/900 FAQ:
    http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-900/

  7. #7
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,461
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yawn.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  8. #8
    Crankenstein bmclaughlin807's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Spokane
    My Bikes
    Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)
    Posts
    4,038
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trmcgeehan
    I have a '93 Volvo wagon with 223,000 miles on it. The original fuel pump finally went out, and I soon learrned Volvos have TWO fuel pumps, one in the tank and one under the car. So I replaced both of them. $900 later, I was back on the road. I could have gotten a hell of a nice new bike for $900. Volvos are great cars, but when they break, they are mucho expensivo.
    My entire ENGINE cost me less than that! Damn.
    "There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, be glad you didn't have a diesel jetta or something like that...those babies I jeard cost over $2k!!
    yep.

  10. #10
    Senior Member trmcgeehan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Somerset, KY -- near Lake Cumberland
    My Bikes
    1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes
    Posts
    757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Genuine parts

    I bought genuine Volvo parts from a Volvo dealer. I live in a small town, and no one knows how to work on Volvos. So I have to use the dealer. They always do the job right, but they are expensive.
    "I am a true laborer. I earn that I eat, get that I wear, owe no man hate, envy no man's happiness, glad of other men's good, content with my harm." As You Like It, Act 3, Scene 2. Shakespeare.
    "Deep down, I'm pretty superficial." Ava Gardner.

  11. #11
    Mister Goody Two Shoes KnhoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet another reason to not drive. If mechanics were smart and capable, they'd have a real job. Except for a very few who really enjoy what they do, and don't mind working overtime on poverty level wages for abusive customers. Those are understandably hard to find.
    Go to another mechanic. These inepts are going to break your car, they didn't even bother to glance at the manual. The parts aren't that much, Volvo has been using the same pumps for decades. I'll bet you five bucks, the idiot mechanic didn't even look at the manual, (five more he doesn't even have it!) and removed the tank to change the pump instead of using the factory installed trapdoor meant specifically for this purpose. Peek under the factory installed plywood floorboards just behind the back seat, at the sheet metal. Yep, that little trap door. It's that easy. It's a one hour job. Dropping the tank is an all day headache, definitely enough to ramp up a $900+ labor bill. The other pump is right out in the open, one of the easiest parts on the car to get at. They don't know how to work on your Volvo, go find someone who does before they break it. If you need any more reason, hang out next time they change your oil, and ask to see the flame trap they replace. "Flame *what*?" The flame trap screens get plugged easily, and the resulting back pressure will blow out oil seals. The seals are cheap, but take a lot of labor to get at.
    Four banger Volvos are dirt cheap to keep on the road, but only if you can find mechanic smart enough to not break it. Maybe not the most reliable, but durable as Stonehenge! I have an '86 240 wagon, very similar to what you have. (240/740/940, right?) They require some specialized knowledge and care, but even with that they're some of the easiest cars to work on and even most of the Volvo Genuine Parts are filthy cheap. Except for the 240's heater core, which seems to have been engineered by the devil himself.

    But I hope it's the last car I'll ever own. I'm really tired of driving. And fixing. And maintaining. I hate parking. But if I drove anything, it would be that 240 or another like it.

  12. #12
    J E R S E Y S B E S T Jerseysbest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    1,852
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to keep a car with minimal maintenance expense, learn to do the work yourself. For $900, you could have gotten plenty of tools and a manual, the satisfaction of doing the job yourself and the confidence to take on bigger projects in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by SingingSabre View Post
    Cheating: a symptom of the problem.

  13. #13
    bragi bragi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    LHT
    Posts
    2,833
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you should just go carless. No matter how inexpensive the car, it's far more inexpensive not to have one at all, and it will enrich your life in innumerable ways. Walk towards the light, my friend....
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

  14. #14
    Senior Citizen lyeinyoureye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    no
    My Bikes
    yes
    Posts
    1,347
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are tons of places in the states where not having a car is more expensive than having one if you need to travel distances greater than ~30-50 miles. You could say, rearrange your life, and the lives of everyone around you just to go "car-free", but you may end up spending more money than if you kept your car.

  15. #15
    bragi bragi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    LHT
    Posts
    2,833
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lyeinyoureye
    There are tons of places in the states where not having a car is more expensive than having one if you need to travel distances greater than ~30-50 miles. You could say, rearrange your life, and the lives of everyone around you just to go "car-free", but you may end up spending more money than if you kept your car.
    I wonder. Actually, I wonder a couple of things:

    1. What's your motivation for posting here? I don't question your right to do so, it's just that I'm curious about what you might get out of promoting cars in a forum full of people who've decided to, you know, stop having cars.

    2. How can it possibly be cheaper to keep one's car and and commute 30-50 miles a day? In addition,why would ANYONE want to sit in their car for several hours each week if they didn't have to? (And, realistically, most people don't have to; it's a matter of choice.)
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Californ-aye-ay
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate hearing of people getting taken for high $$ repairs. It is very rare for both fuel pumps in a 740/940 to go at the same time. Granted, the parts really are expensive if you want the right ones and not el-cheapos, but only one probably needed to be replaced.
    Often they will run on only the external pump if the in-tank pump fails, since it's purpose is mainly to make life easier for the high pressre pump (the external one).
    $900, if it includes labor, is not bad if they both were really bad. The in-tank pump is actually quite a nasty job. You can access the pump assembly through the trap door, but it is a PITA finagling the pump/filter out the hole without knocking it off, etc. Then, you have a mess of old, filthy pipes and a very forzen (usually) lid. Dont forget, inhaling gas the whole time.
    I really like the old Volvos, and have done a number of DIY jobs on them, but next time I will leave that one to the pros. Just nasty. FYI, I believe the in-tank pump alone is about a 2+ hour book job.
    Last edited by cacatfish; 08-28-06 at 01:00 AM.

  17. #17
    Senior Citizen lyeinyoureye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    no
    My Bikes
    yes
    Posts
    1,347
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bragi
    I wonder. Actually, I wonder a couple of things:

    1. What's your motivation for posting here? I don't question your right to do so, it's just that I'm curious about what you might get out of promoting cars in a forum full of people who've decided to, you know, stop having cars.

    2. How can it possibly be cheaper to keep one's car and and commute 30-50 miles a day? In addition,why would ANYONE want to sit in their car for several hours each week if they didn't have to? (And, realistically, most people don't have to; it's a matter of choice.)
    I'm not promoting cars, just playin' devil's advocate. Why? Because generalizations are dangerous, especially this one!

    Starting with two... Seriously, most people can't physically commute ~30-50 miles per trip, two trips per day, five days per week, and depending on where an individual lives, public transportation can be more expensive, if it allows the individual in question to even commute, since there may be a patchwork of irreconcialable schedules from different public transit organizations. Going car free is not always more inexpensive than having a car, or even doable. Even going ~30 miles RT can be out of reach for those people with jobs involving lots of manual labor. Riding two hours a day on top of working eight hours unloading truck tires or mixing cement just isn't doable.

    As for one, I'm here because I support and indentify with some of the views held by most car free individuals, and because of this, I am very critical of generalizations and claims made by those members that don't use their noggins. Going car free, car lite, DIY, etc... I'm generally in agreement with. But it may not be the best for everyone, and it's certainly not some great movement that could lead to a significant reduction of GHGs, fossil fuel use, etc... Which is why I post up in threads that have these absurd claims. I'm harsh because I love!

    I fear for what is a rational, appealing concept, when zealots start zealoting. It's kinda like jackasses on CM rides, they cause more trouble than they're worth, with the end result being something that ends up even farther from the supposed goal of better relations with motorists. Sadly enough, in our polarized, poltical environment, people tend to look to those who are "right" (ala "Thank You For Smoking") rather than those who are looking out for their best interests. Along these lines, zealotry can easily discredit an otherwise good idea in the eyes of "Jane or Joe Public" because it's easy to show the zealot's statement/stance is absurd...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Naylor
    That's the beauty of argument, if you argue correctly, you're never wrong.
    That is to say, be careful what we say. A small slip can discredit any rational idea in the eyes of others because most aren't rational.
    Last edited by lyeinyoureye; 08-28-06 at 01:06 AM.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,069
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy used parts from a scrap yard. Cars don't have to be expensive.

  19. #19
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,843
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lyeinyoureye
    I'm not promoting cars, just playin' devil's advocate. Why? Because generalizations are dangerous, especially this one!

    Starting with two... Seriously, most people can't physically commute ~30-50 miles per trip, two trips per day, five days per week, and depending on where an individual lives, public transportation can be more expensive, if it allows the individual in question to even commute, since there may be a patchwork of irreconcialable schedules from different public transit organizations. Going car free is not always more inexpensive than having a car, or even doable. Even going ~30 miles RT can be out of reach for those people with jobs involving lots of manual labor. Riding two hours a day on top of working eight hours unloading truck tires or mixing cement just isn't doable.

    As for one, I'm here because I support and indentify with some of the views held by most car free individuals, and because of this, I am very critical of generalizations and claims made by those members that don't use their noggins. Going car free, car lite, DIY, etc... I'm generally in agreement with. But it may not be the best for everyone, and it's certainly not some great movement that could lead to a significant reduction of GHGs, fossil fuel use, etc... Which is why I post up in threads that have these absurd claims. I'm harsh because I love!

    I fear for what is a rational, appealing concept, when zealots start zealoting. It's kinda like jackasses on CM rides, they cause more trouble than they're worth, with the end result being something that ends up even farther from the supposed goal of better relations with motorists. Sadly enough, in our polarized, poltical environment, people tend to look to those who are "right" (ala "Thank You For Smoking") rather than those who are looking out for their best interests. Along these lines, zealotry can easily discredit an otherwise good idea in the eyes of "Jane or Joe Public" because it's easy to show the zealot's statement/stance is absurd...



    That is to say, be careful what we say. A small slip can discredit any rational idea in the eyes of others because most aren't rational.
    Very well written and I agree 100%. I wish I had written that post.

    Just as an addition to point 2, sitting in a car for several hours a week may be preferable to sitting and waiting for a series of busses that may take several dozen hours a week; if the bus service is available at all.

  20. #20
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,461
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iguess I wandered into the "Cars are Wonderful" forum by mistake. I'll leave.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  21. #21
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,843
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody
    Iguess I wandered into the "Cars are Wonderful" forum by mistake. I'll leave.
    Bye!

  22. #22
    put our Heads Together cerewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    southeast pennsylvania
    My Bikes
    a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike
    Posts
    3,149
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ((regarding car free,)) it's certainly not some great movement that could lead to a significant reduction of GHGs, fossil fuel use, etc...
    I have to take issue with you to some extent on that one. As people in or near India and China start to be able to afford more and more fossil-fuel usage, prices will rise dramatically and more and more people in countries like the USA will become car free simply because of cost.

    zealotry can easily discredit an otherwise good idea in the eyes of "Jane or Joe Public"
    Very true.
    Some awesome folks who are working to give Haitians the ability to manage their safety and their lives:
    Haiti Partners

  23. #23
    Senior Citizen lyeinyoureye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    no
    My Bikes
    yes
    Posts
    1,347
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody
    Iguess I wandered into the "Cars are Wonderful" forum by mistake. I'll leave.
    Stop being so reactionary! You're only hurting an otherwise good idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by cerewa
    I have to take issue with you to some extent on that one. As people in or near India and China start to be able to afford more and more fossil-fuel usage, prices will rise dramatically and more and more people in countries like the USA will become car free simply because of cost.
    Possibly. The only thing I have to say is that this switch wouldn't be strictly related to switching from cars to bikes persay, it's a convergence of economic factors. Something else to consider is that automobile manufacturers have so much head room in terms of auto efficiency... They haven't even scratched the surface of what they can do, which is very evident when looking at the efficiency of a Model-T, and the average modern car. After a century auto efficiency has stayed the same. Odds are, auto manufacturers can increase efficiency proprtionally to gasoline cost, to keep people in cars, and more importantly, consuming gasoline in order to keep the cost up and maximize profits.

  24. #24
    Senior Member slagjumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Down on East End Avenue.
    My Bikes
    Salsa Las Cruces, Burley R&R and a boat load of others.
    Posts
    1,815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    900 bucks is better than a new car.

  25. #25
    Senior Member heywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Whitby, Ontario Canada
    My Bikes
    2009 Trek 520 , 2014 Easy Motion Neo City e-bike
    Posts
    349
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerseysbest
    If you want to keep a car with minimal maintenance expense, learn to do the work yourself. For $900, you could have gotten plenty of tools and a manual, the satisfaction of doing the job yourself and the confidence to take on bigger projects in the future.
    That's right..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •