Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Ya never know 'til ya try littledog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Cruiser Deluxe Trek 820 MTB Trek 7300FX Hybrid
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Moving without a car in winter is difficult

    Right now I am in the process of getting ready to move about 3 miles from where I am at now. The VW Golf I gave to my next door neighbor in May of last year.

    For the first time I have borrowed the car to collect cardboard boxes for moving. I will be using the car for moving as well. It sure will be nice to have as I can take only one box of stuff at a time on the bus. As the roads are ice and snow covered carrying boxes or milk crates on the bicycles is asking for trouble as I don't have studded tires. I will try to borrow a truck or rent one for the little bit of furniture I have.

    The non-running motorcycle will be stored and fixed and hopefully sold in the spring.

    No more cars.
    No more motorcycles.
    No more debt.

    Life is good

  2. #2
    Pax
    Pax is offline
    Yup Pax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.4FX WSD
    Posts
    211
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littledog
    Right now I am in the process of getting ready to move about 3 miles from where I am at now. The VW Golf I gave to my next door neighbor in May of last year.

    For the first time I have borrowed the car to collect cardboard boxes for moving. I will be using the car for moving as well. It sure will be nice to have as I can take only one box of stuff at a time on the bus. As the roads are ice and snow covered carrying boxes or milk crates on the bicycles is asking for trouble as I don't have studded tires. I will try to borrow a truck or rent one for the little bit of furniture I have.

    The non-running motorcycle will be stored and fixed and hopefully sold in the spring.

    No more cars.
    No more motorcycles.
    No more debt.

    Life is good
    Good luck with your move! In case you didn't know it, U-Haul usually has a $19.00 one day rental for one of their crappier trucks, it might be easier to rent one for the day and do the move in one trip?

  3. #3
    Al noisebeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    AZ
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex
    Posts
    13,916
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One way of looking at it is that it is actually easier. If you own a car you may feel the need to use it and spend undue time cramming as much into it and making many trips. If you don't you are much more willing to spend the $ saved being carless on renting a large moving truck to allow you to complete the move quickly and with much less hassle and less motoring.
    Al

  4. #4
    tsl
    tsl is offline
    Plays in traffic tsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Posts
    6,390
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen
    Good luck with your move! In case you didn't know it, U-Haul usually has a $19.00 one day rental for one of their crappier trucks, it might be easier to rent one for the day and do the move in one trip?
    +1 on the U-Haul

    I'll be moving soon too. Although it's just down the block and except for a credenza and two futons, I could move everything with a hand truck, I decided to go with the U-Haul since then I don't have to worry about borrowed cars and I can do it in one trip.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin


    Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

  5. #5
    Ya never know 'til ya try littledog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Cruiser Deluxe Trek 820 MTB Trek 7300FX Hybrid
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm,maybe I will check into the U-Haul truck. I wonder how much added insurance and such costs? And the bus might get me there to rent the truck but it won't get me back as they quit running early.So I have to add taxi fare as well.

  6. #6
    Biscuit Boy Cosmoline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Speeenard 'laska
    Posts
    1,358
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U-Haul is the best bet with or without a car. Get it done in ONE TRIP.
    ''On a bicycle you're not insulated. You're in contact with the landscape and all manner of people you'd never meet if you were in a car. A fat man on a bicycle is nobody's enemy.''

    Tom Vernon.

  7. #7
    Faster but still slow slowandsteady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    My Bikes
    Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006
    Posts
    5,979
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the end it will end up costing like 50 dollars if you do U-haul.
    "Ride lots." -- Eddy Merckx

  8. #8
    Pax
    Pax is offline
    Yup Pax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.4FX WSD
    Posts
    211
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littledog
    Hmmm,maybe I will check into the U-Haul truck. I wonder how much added insurance and such costs? And the bus might get me there to rent the truck but it won't get me back as they quit running early.So I have to add taxi fare as well.
    If it's not too crappy out to ride that day, you could ride your bike to uhaul, throw your bike in the truck, reverse the process when you're done.

  9. #9
    Senior Member acroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dallas Suburbpopolis
    Posts
    1,481
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Home Depot will rent trucks by the hour.
    there's also local services that'll come pick up your stuff and move it for you for cheap, check the yeallow pages if you're interested. I got my big heavy appliances moved last time for $40. Well worth it for me, but depends what kinda budget you're on.

    Best of luck regardless!
    beer-bottle target

  10. #10
    Senior Member swwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis MN USA
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300
    Posts
    839
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realize that car-free living is many times combined with frugal living, self-reliance, and so on, but I find it interesting that we tend to think we have to do some of these things ourselves. With the money you have not spent owning a car, you could hire someone to move your stuff. Maybe a big moving company wouldn't want to do it, but, for example, where I live there is a business called "Two Guys and a Truck" that does small moving project.
    Riding in search of the simple life.

  11. #11
    Ya never know 'til ya try littledog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Cruiser Deluxe Trek 820 MTB Trek 7300FX Hybrid
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swwhite
    I realize that car-free living is many times combined with frugal living, self-reliance, and so on, but I find it interesting that we tend to think we have to do some of these things ourselves. With the money you have not spent owning a car, you could hire someone to move your stuff. Maybe a big moving company wouldn't want to do it, but, for example, where I live there is a business called "Two Guys and a Truck" that does small moving project.
    I checked out the yellow pages. Just big national companies that will charge an arm and a leg. So I will take your suggestion and check out the local Nifty Nickel and those types of papers. There are plenty of unemployed and under- employed people who do this type of thing cheap. One month of car insurance money that I am now saving will pay for that.

  12. #12
    Senior Member kf5nd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX 77095
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)
    Posts
    1,470
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus, hurting your back can end up being VERY painful & expensive. Pay someone else to move you, good idea.

  13. #13
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,231
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littledog
    Hmmm,maybe I will check into the U-Haul truck. I wonder how much added insurance and such costs? And the bus might get me there to rent the truck but it won't get me back as they quit running early.So I have to add taxi fare as well.
    Just pedal there and throw your bike in the back of the truck. Then when you turn it in, take your bike along and ride home.

    Yes, insurance etc will add to the cost of the truck, but if you don't have credit cards to cover the insurance, it may be worth it. So much is happening on moving day that smoothness and lack of worries are worth it.

    Good luck on your move.

  14. #14
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,454
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littledog
    I checked out the yellow pages. Just big national companies that will charge an arm and a leg. So I will take your suggestion and check out the local Nifty Nickel and those types of papers. There are plenty of unemployed and under- employed people who do this type of thing cheap. One month of car insurance money that I am now saving will pay for that.
    This is what I would o if I had a lot of stuff to move. It might not cost more than the rental truck, especially if you have everything ready to go in boxes. You might want to supervise the job closely, especially if the mover isn't bonded or licensed.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •