Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Ya never know 'til ya try littledog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Cruiser Deluxe Trek 820 MTB Trek 7300FX Hybrid
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I moved closer to the MUP

    Moving closer to the MUP is my solution to continue being car free. Now there will not be a 6 mile round trip through the ghetto after dark. Which I rarely did anyways because of fear of being bike-jacked or having a flat at night. I did have some crackheads try to mug me and have been assaulted in this area.

    Now I can go where I want,when I want too. Cars are just sooooooooo overated

  2. #2
    In the right lane gerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Posts
    8,898
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littledog
    Moving closer to the MUP is my solution to continue being car free. Now there will not be a 6 mile round trip through the ghetto after dark. Which I rarely did anyways because of fear of being bike-jacked or having a flat at night. I did have some crackheads try to mug me and have been assaulted in this area.

    Now I can go where I want,when I want too. Cars are just sooooooooo overated
    Folks on these forums often disparage MUPs because they are full of walkers and dogs on leashes. But at least the air is cleaner than when you are stopped at a light behind a Hummer.

  3. #3
    gwd
    gwd is offline
    Biker gwd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    DC
    My Bikes
    one Recumbent and one Utility Bike
    Posts
    1,917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerv
    But at least the air is cleaner than when you are stopped at a light behind a Hummer.
    At lights I usually move to the head of the line where the view is better. Why sit behind a hummer? If the lane was big enough for all the cars to pass me safely when we're moving its big enough for me to pass them when they're stopped.

  4. #4
    Every lane is a bike lane Chris L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
    Posts
    9,622
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gwd
    At lights I usually move to the head of the line where the view is better. Why sit behind a hummer? If the lane was big enough for all the cars to pass me safely when we're moving its big enough for me to pass them when they're stopped.
    Exactly, and furthermore, you're less likely to get mugged or assaulted on the road than on the MUP (as 31 people in Brisbane have discovered in the last 12 months).
    "I am never going to flirt with idleness again" - Roy Keane
    "We invite everyone to question the entire culture we take for granted." - Manic Street Preachers.
    My blog.
    My bike tours. Japan tour page under construction.

  5. #5
    Two H's!!! TWO!!!!! chephy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    4,162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris L
    Exactly, and furthermore, you're less likely to get mugged or assaulted on the road than on the MUP (as 31 people in Brisbane have discovered in the last 12 months).
    True dat. It's a little ironic that someone would try to escape from the streets to an isolated path in the woods in hopes to avoid the baddies. The baddies love those kind of places!

    Of course, maybe it's a popular MUP in a good neighbourhood. But even popular ones usually empty after dark.. and if they aren't, they are quite difficult to get through because of all the morons all over the path.

    Gee... I don't really want to sound so negative. I'm sorry, littledog - you know the area you're talking about and I don't, so my generalization could very well not apply. Maybe it's an ok MUP: not too crowded, but still safe. They do exist.

    Keep pedalling.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •