Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    When dad wants to give you a car...

    Well, my dad is going to fix up my brother's old mustang, and give it to me. I was wondering what I should do with it, either keep it, licence it but drive it sparingly, or kindly tell him I don't roll like that
    I don't exactly have the room to sotre it, or the money to pay to have it stored. I know it would mean a lot to him, because it's the last car my brother owned before he passed on.
    yep.

  2. #2
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,218
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Define old Mustang....

    '64 1/2?
    Mach 1?
    Mustang II?
    Fox Body?

    If it's worth the money and you really don't want it, then perhaps selling it to a collector who will really appreciate it may be the best way to honor your brother, rather than let his jewel fall into disrepair. You can then donate the money to a cause close to your brother's heart.

    But if you love the car, then enjoy it.
    Last edited by Artkansas; 02-04-07 at 07:36 PM.

  3. #3
    Conservative Hippie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wakulla Co. FL
    Posts
    4,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What were your brother's interests?

    Talk to your Dad. Donate the car to a charity or organization your brother liked, or sell the car and donate the money in his name.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterRun
    Talk to your Dad. Donate the car to a charity or organization your brother liked, or sell the car and donate the money in his name.

    +1


    Gabriel
    2006 Surly LHT

  5. #5
    Guy on a Bike TreeUnit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    C-Bus
    My Bikes
    Chromoly Univega with Nexus Hub
    Posts
    250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get rid of it. Donate, Sell, or Drive off the side of a bridge but jump out just in time and parachute to saftey.
    Remember, If you are 16 or 17 or thereabouts, you're acctually going to have to deal with a world where gas cost $10/galllon, (oil production peaks in 35 years.) So you might as well get used to not owning a car now.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    959
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    16 or 17, you are a male right?, the insurance on this thing (high horse power car, with fast look) is going to be astronomical for you.

    I would definitely sit with your dad and discuss if there is something you could do with it to honor your brother. Maybe you could sell it and put the proceeds in a 429 acount for your future children's college education?

  7. #7
    hell's angels h/q e3st ny brunop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    boston area/morningside heights manhattan
    My Bikes
    surly steamroller, independent fabrication titanium club racer, iro jamie roy--44/16, independent fabrication steel crown jewel--47/17, surly karate. monkey (rohloff speed hub), unicycle
    Posts
    1,582
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sell it and buy yourself a coupla nice bikes. or better, one nice bike for long distance and one beater with fenders for bad weather. try to stay uninvolved with cars. they will take your money and your health.
    ". . .a striped jersey under his jacket; bared calves (outside the bicycle track); cap pushed back; feet in a false position on the pedals; a barking horn, a disorderly appearance, an always-dry tongue, and a definite fondness for wine merchants. . ."

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gave up my car 2 years ago and I am addicted to biking.Recently,a friend of mine bought a car and gave me her old car until the lease is up.It So I thought I would drive it through Jan and Feb. I feel awful because I am not getting my fix.I have decided to return the car early.It is far too easy to use a car when you have access to one.I know that I can't have a car because I don't have the discipline to ride my bike knowing that I have a car that will get me to work in five minutes.Biking is a healthy addiction,you don't want to lose that.

  9. #9
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0_emissions :=)
    Well, my dad is going to fix up my brother's old mustang, and give it to me. I was wondering what I should do with it, either keep it, licence it but drive it sparingly, or kindly tell him I don't roll like that
    I don't exactly have the room to sotre it, or the money to pay to have it stored. I know it would mean a lot to him, because it's the last car my brother owned before he passed on.
    Easy, tell him how much you appreciate his gesture, but that you don't have room to store it and would consider the gift too valuable and nostalgic to actually drive - so if he would keep it there for you, feeling free to give it a workout from time-to-time, you'd really appreciate it. No feelings hurt, no principles compromised.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  10. #10
    Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,259
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I know it would mean a lot to him, because it's the last car my brother owned before he passed on."

    THIS makes any choice really tough because your Dad isn't ready to let go of your brother.

    Sit down with Dad to talk about this. This is also a time to get your pastor or other religious
    leader involved to help Dad work though his grief. This ain't about the car at all.........

    All the best ,mate. Blessings to your Dad.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

    Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

  11. #11
    more ape than man timmhaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    8,093
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tightwad
    This ain't about the car at all.........
    very true. be considerate and talk about this - just the two of you.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note: i'm 28. I don't know how the 16/17 thing got started
    Anyways, i'm gonna keep it. It's an '86, and I guess it's in absolute mint condition. I'll have to keep it there though, at least for a few years. He wants to keep it in the family.
    yep.

  13. #13
    Conservative Hippie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wakulla Co. FL
    Posts
    4,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good decision.

    My condolences to you and your family.

  14. #14
    Striving for Fredness deputyjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    West Michigan
    My Bikes
    Old Giant Rincon
    Posts
    1,191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterRun
    Good decision.

    My condolences to you and your family.
    +1
    Monsignor: We must always fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men.
    Connor: I do believe the monsignor's finally got the point.
    Murphy: Aye.

    OttawaCountyDSA.com

  15. #15
    Senior Member kpug505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Puyallup Washington
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Mirage fixed gear, Nashbar Alpha Road 5000, Bianchi Grizzly, Coppi Fiorelli, , Schwinn Trike, , GT All Terra, Old Peugeot, Nishiki 3 speed, Bugatti, Cannondale Black Lightning, Dura All, Bianchi Touring, Bridgestone T700 & more
    Posts
    1,846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0_emissions :=)
    Note: i'm 28. I don't know how the 16/17 thing got started
    Anyways, i'm gonna keep it. It's an '86, and I guess it's in absolute mint condition. I'll have to keep it there though, at least for a few years. He wants to keep it in the family.
    Hmm.........an 86 fox body ehh? If its got the 5.0 under the hood, I say use it the way cars were meant to be used. RECREATIONALY. Sounds like a great candidate for a racecar. Closed road course against the clock. That way you dont have to worry about hurting anyone’s feelings, you get to have a little fun with pops on a sunny Sunday afternoon, and the car gets used but doesn't clog up the road when I am trying to get my spin on! I know its kinda against the whole environmental thing and all but it sure would be fun!

    P.S. sorry for your bro...........

  16. #16
    Cigar Smokin' Cyclist Travelin' Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    My Bikes
    Trek 1400, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek 4300
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kpug505
    Hmm.........an 86 fox body ehh? If its got the 5.0 under the hood, I say use it the way cars were meant to be used. RECREATIONALY. Sounds like a great candidate for a racecar. Closed road course against the clock. That way you dont have to worry about hurting anyone’s feelings, you get to have a little fun with pops on a sunny Sunday afternoon, and the car gets used but doesn't clog up the road when I am trying to get my spin on! I know its kinda against the whole environmental thing and all but it sure would be fun!

    P.S. sorry for your bro...........
    The 1986 is the lightest year, a great candidate for that.
    Momentum is my only friend.

  17. #17
    Senior Citizen lyeinyoureye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    no
    My Bikes
    yes
    Posts
    1,347
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's really a cherry 5.0, just keep it stock and keep it up. It will be loved at muscle car shows, and classic car insurance is cheap and only a year or few away depending on whether your state goes with the 20 or 25 year window. I mean, do what you want, but ime mint 5.0s are rare, and not the best candidate for a racing auto when you get into the nitty gritty. No reason to muss wit' a mint soon to be classic when you can keep it as is and easily build a better race car.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    3,176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 66 would be cool. An 86 is not.

    Paul

  19. #19
    Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,259
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterRun
    Good decision.

    My condolences to you and your family.
    Yes, You've found a good way to honor your dad & brother.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

    Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

  20. #20
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,439
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the usual car-loving thugs have hijacked yet another thread. Too bad you'd use a family's grief to stir up flames on a internet forum.

    I don't think a machine makes a good tribute for a human being. Maybe you could plant a tree in his honor, or throw a big party in his memory.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  21. #21
    Chairman of the Bored catatonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
    Posts
    5,825
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chipcom
    Easy, tell him how much you appreciate his gesture, but that you don't have room to store it and would consider the gift too valuable and nostalgic to actually drive - so if he would keep it there for you, feeling free to give it a workout from time-to-time, you'd really appreciate it. No feelings hurt, no principles compromised.
    Chip's got the idea. I owned a Mustang when I was 18....full coverage was so high I had to take a job just to pay it (400/mo sound good? That's what my insurance on it was, and it was only a 4cylinder).

    I say if you want a car on the side, get something practical like a Corolla. Good fuel economy, and nowhere near sporty neough to justify a huge insurance hike.

    Keep in mind young males have insane insurance rates.
    -------- __@
    ----- _`\<,_
    ---- (*)/ (*)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ring Ring, Ring Ring, the bell went Ring Ring Ring.

  22. #22
    flux capacitor Orikal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston
    My Bikes
    2003 Bianchi Eros, 82 Univega (fixed), random year mtb frame for ss
    Posts
    543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody
    Well the usual car-loving thugs have hijacked yet another thread. Too bad you'd use a family's grief to stir up flames on a internet forum.
    Looks like there's only one individual here stirring up flames.

    My condolences, 0.

    Delusion: A false belief strongly held in spite of invalidating evidence.

  23. #23
    No one carries the DogBoy
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by catatonic
    ...I say if you want a car on the side, get something practical like a Corolla. Good fuel economy, and nowhere near sporty neough to justify a huge insurance hike.

    Keep in mind young males have insane insurance rates.
    Really old model year + no coll or comp coverage (you only get ACV, so cost of the coverage is not worth it until you can get the stated amount and a classic car or show car endorsement) + 28 YO male shouldn't be terrible assuming you have a solid credit rating and have not owned a car without insurance. Be sure to shop though, and don't let them put you at a higer rate due to "no prior insurance." You didn't have a need for prior insurance so it shouldn't count against you...I know there are at least a few companies out there that won't ding you for it.

    Hmm...that only applies if you are in the US...I have no idea what insurance markets look like in Canada.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •