Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    2006 Specialized S-Works Tricross
    Posts
    462
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Monks, Not McMansions, May Hold the Key to Happiness [Wash. Post Article]

    Economist's example says "less is more".

    Quote Originally Posted by Washington Post
    Monks, Not McMansions, May Hold the Key to Happiness
    By Katherine Salant
    Saturday, February 10, 2007; Page F07


    Most people think economists study money.

    In fact, economists use various analytic tools to predict behavior. True, the majority of economists' predictions deal with financial matters. When economists talk about new houses, for example, their focus is invariably on the factors that determine prices, such as mortgage interest rates.

    But some economists have gone in a different direction. Rather than study dollars and cents, they have used the tools of their discipline to explain other phenomena, such as why people make certain choices.

    In the past, economists assumed that an individual's choices were always guided by rational self-interest. Today they recognize that human foibles, biases and our hunter-gatherer origins can often be critical factors.

    Monks, Not McMansions, May Hold the Key to Happiness

  2. #2
    Conservative Hippie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wakulla Co. FL
    Posts
    4,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Primarily speaking of Americans, but realizing this also holds true for people of other nations.

    Most people are very confused about the difference between gratification and happiness, and the difference can be huge.

    Most people equate financial gains with success (big house, nice car, etc.), but the more they make, the more they spend, spending most of their adult lives in debt.

    For most people, money causes more problems than it solves, leading to higher stress and less happiness. While it is possible to make enough money to hire other people to handle these problems, very few ever reach this level.

    Most people make their most important decisions based on emotion, rather than logic.

    Most people are not happy. They lead lives of quiet desperation, fostered on debt and the stress it causes.

  3. #3
    In the right lane gerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Posts
    9,089
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Washington Post
    What is the scientific proof that a modest lifestyle is the path to happiness? Rayo said one example is Buddhist monks. They eat the same food and wear the same clothes every day. With years of meditation they lose interest in the "next new thing and the moving target," he said. "And their brain scans show that they are happier than most people in a scientifically measurable way."
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterRun
    Most people are not happy. They lead lives of quiet desperation, fostered on debt and the stress it causes.
    From what I see of most people, I'd have to agree, but like the article says, you need to work at it...

  4. #4
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,494
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you figure out what makes you happy, you'll be happy. One thing I love about this forum is the way people tie it all together--Bicycle, simplicity, rational life planning--they're the things that really make happiness possible. Thanks, Slow Train!

    Quote Originally Posted by Washington Post
    If the goal is to impress your peers and friends, "You'll lose the race of winning and you'll be stressed," he said. Is your kitchen a place to hang out and be comfortable or will it be, as Rayo put it, a "slick intimidation statement about my wealth?" Will the $50,000 array of solar panels on your new roof that will generate all your household electricity needs "bring a sense of personal satisfaction or give you bragging rights?"

    The latter are "not a sustainable source of happiness," Rayo said. "When consumption extends beyond your needs and the goal is to impress others, you should be suspicious; it will not lead to happiness."


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  5. #5
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,494
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterRun
    Primarily speaking of Americans, but realizing this also holds true for people of other nations.

    Most people are very confused about the difference between gratification and happiness, and the difference can be huge.

    Most people equate financial gains with success (big house, nice car, etc.), but the more they make, the more they spend, spending most of their adult lives in debt.

    For most people, money causes more problems than it solves, leading to higher stress and less happiness. While it is possible to make enough money to hire other people to handle these problems, very few ever reach this level.

    Most people make their most important decisions based on emotion, rather than logic.

    Most people are not happy. They lead lives of quiet desperation, fostered on debt and the stress it causes
    .
    Very well put, CommuterRun.

    I work on a psychiatric unit. The other night I heard one of our nurses explaining this concept to one of our drug addicted patients. He ( the nurse) told the patient that she kept wanting more things--whether drugs or crap she buys at the store--because she looks for things to make her happy. He said all of her wanting turns into craving, and this kills her chances for happiness.

    "Always, the more you have, the more you will want. You can never catch up to the cravings, no matter how hard you try," he told her.

    Later, the patient told me that this is the first time that her addictive behavior made sense to her, and she will have to think about what her nurse told her for a very long time.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  6. #6
    tired donnamb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
    Posts
    5,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool story, Roody.

  7. #7
    gwd
    gwd is offline
    Biker gwd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    DC
    My Bikes
    one Recumbent and one Utility Bike
    Posts
    1,917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Does Rayo follow his own advice? He lives in a condo in downtown Chicago that is a 10-minute train commute from his office. He doesn't have a car."

    One of the authors is car free?

  8. #8
    gwd
    gwd is offline
    Biker gwd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    DC
    My Bikes
    one Recumbent and one Utility Bike
    Posts
    1,917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody
    Very well put, CommuterRun.

    I work on a psychiatric unit. The other night I heard one of our nurses explaining this concept to one of our drug addicted patients. He ( the nurse) told the patient that she kept wanting more things--whether drugs or crap she buys at the store--because she looks for things to make her happy. He said all of her wanting turns into craving, and this kills her chances for happiness.

    "Always, the more you have, the more you will want. You can never catch up to the cravings, no matter how hard you try," he told her.

    Later, the patient told me that this is the first time that her addictive behavior made sense to her, and she will have to think about what her nurse told her for a very long time.
    It reads like the nurse is preaching Buddhism to the drug addicts you know the old life is suffering, suffering arises from craving, crave less and suffer less line that the Buddha used to tell people. Does the nurse go on with the right speech, right livelihood stuff too? Maybe some meditation on these principles would help people get their lives back together.

  9. #9
    tired donnamb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
    Posts
    5,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite a few popular treatment modalities have their roots in Buddhism. Insurance companies love them, as they tend to work.

  10. #10
    Ya never know 'til ya try littledog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Cruiser Deluxe Trek 820 MTB Trek 7300FX Hybrid
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody
    Very well put, CommuterRun.

    I work on a psychiatric unit. The other night I heard one of our nurses explaining this concept to one of our drug addicted patients. He ( the nurse) told the patient that she kept wanting more things--whether drugs or crap she buys at the store--because she looks for things to make her happy. He said all of her wanting turns into craving, and this kills her chances for happiness.

    "Always, the more you have, the more you will want. You can never catch up to the cravings, no matter how hard you try," he told her.

    Later, the patient told me that this is the first time that her addictive behavior made sense to her, and she will have to think about what her nurse told her for a very long time.
    As an a person who is dual diagnosis- Schizoaffective/depressive type and an Alcoholics Anonymous member with 12 years continuous sobriety, I am in agreement with the fact that happiness is something we have to work for. The Noble Eight Fold Path and Classical Taoism have helped me a lot to find happiness,as well as the 12 steps of AA which to me are a different way of expressing the 8 Fold Path.

    Happiness and simplicity are intertwined. Being car free,although difficult at first, leads to simplicity and happiness,at least for me. Also I have given up on psych meds for 2 years and 8 months now which lets me have a much better quality of life. Bicycle riding has enabled me to do this. It relieves the stress which brings on my mental illness relapses which put me in the hospital. By not owning and maintaining a car I can have some fun money. There is more to life than just the basic neccesities. Like having more bicycles. LOL. Oh well,at least it is a healthy addiction and a lot cheaper than meds. I love bicycle riding and owe my life and happiness to it. I could do without it if I had to but I would rather not.

  11. #11
    GATC
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    south Puget Sound
    Posts
    6,609
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Willimantic, Connecticut
    My Bikes
    '70s Puch sport tourer, '90 Peugeot Success.
    Posts
    499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liking bikes is fine - at the same time "healthy addiction" is an oxymoron since addiction by definition involves compulsion & thus suffering. Biking can be an enjoyable habit but if it's an addiction, then buy definition it's self-destructive.
    Where have you been all your life?

  13. #13
    Senior Member likeakidagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ohio,USA
    My Bikes
    Two bikes..a new hybrid and a old moutain bike!
    Posts
    121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What brings me peace, including bike riding is the Bible..
    When you start to read about The love of God, and see that he's not against us (were against him)..life start to makes sense..With the cause and effect. and the bibles wisdom on how to live at peace, simple, and joyful (even when life hurts or sickness, etc).
    So I can see as the orginal poster mentioned monks have more peace then others with so called sucess.
    online deals...http://www.dealtaker.com
    __________________________________________________________________
    What Really matters?

  14. #14
    Ya never know 'til ya try littledog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Cruiser Deluxe Trek 820 MTB Trek 7300FX Hybrid
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclepath
    Liking bikes is fine - at the same time "healthy addiction" is an oxymoron since addiction by definition involves compulsion & thus suffering. Biking can be an enjoyable habit but if it's an addiction, then buy definition it's self-destructive.
    True. I am still compulsive though. So bikes are better to be addicted to than many other things.

  15. #15
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,494
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gwd
    It reads like the nurse is preaching Buddhism to the drug addicts you know the old life is suffering, suffering arises from craving, crave less and suffer less line that the Buddha used to tell people. Does the nurse go on with the right speech, right livelihood stuff too? Maybe some meditation on these principles would help people get their lives back together.
    He's not a Buddhist, but he does live according to the principles he told the patient. He isn't carfree, but he is pretty much off the grid otherwise. Actually, his words put me in mind of Thoreau also. He's Polish and had never heard of Thoreau. I gave him a copy of "Walden."


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  16. #16
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,494
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
    thanks for the suggestion, Hardy. I haven't read this yet, but put it on my list. Gregg Easterbrook has been a favorite writer for years. He has written for the Atlantic Monthly for as long as I can remember.
    Last edited by Roody; 02-13-07 at 11:46 AM.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  17. #17
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,980
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody
    thanks for the suggestion, Hardy. I haven't read this yet, but put it on my list. Greg Easterbrooke has been a favorite writer for years. He has written for the Atlantic Monthly for as long as I can remember.
    That's right! Gregg Easterbrook is none other than the Tuesday Morning Quarterback, Mr. TMQ himself! Best football column in the country. Currently carried weekly by ESPN page2; previously by Slate and the NFL.com. Also in 1980, six years before the Challenger exploded, he wrote a cover story for The Washington Monthly, about the serious flaws of the Space Shuttle; the title: "Beam Us Out of This Deathtrap, Scotty

    http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/fea...-fulltext.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

  18. #18
    we are 138 Philatio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    676
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    enjoyed the article, and I think I'm going to check out the book suggestions too. Thanks

  19. #19
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,494
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littledog
    As an a person who is dual diagnosis- Schizoaffective/depressive type and an Alcoholics Anonymous member with 12 years continuous sobriety, I am in agreement with the fact that happiness is something we have to work for. The Noble Eight Fold Path and Classical Taoism have helped me a lot to find happiness,as well as the 12 steps of AA which to me are a different way of expressing the 8 Fold Path.

    Happiness and simplicity are intertwined. Being car free,although difficult at first, leads to simplicity and happiness,at least for me. Also I have given up on psych meds for 2 years and 8 months now which lets me have a much better quality of life. Bicycle riding has enabled me to do this. It relieves the stress which brings on my mental illness relapses which put me in the hospital. By not owning and maintaining a car I can have some fun money. There is more to life than just the basic neccesities. Like having more bicycles. LOL. Oh well,at least it is a healthy addiction and a lot cheaper than meds. I love bicycle riding and owe my life and happiness to it. I could do without it if I had to but I would rather not
    .
    Damn, littledog, you're doing great! I'm going to pass your story along to some of my patients, if that's alright with you.

    I already tell them about the clinical studies that are starting to show the effectiveness of exercise for depression, bipolar disorder and anxiety disorders. A psychiatrist I work with is studying exercise and schizophrenia. But a personal story like yours will give them something to think about.

    I take a group of patients walking every day. I also show patients my commuter bike leaning on the hospital wall, and I ride the exercise bike on my break and talk to patients who ask me about what I'm doing.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  20. #20
    Ya never know 'til ya try littledog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Cruiser Deluxe Trek 820 MTB Trek 7300FX Hybrid
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody
    Damn, littledog, you're doing great! I'm going to pass your story along to some of my patients, if that's alright with you.

    I already tell them about the clinical studies that are starting to show the effectiveness of exercise for depression, bipolar disorder and anxiety disorders. A psychiatrist I work with is studying exercise and schizophrenia. But a personal story like yours will give them something to think about.

    I take a group of patients walking every day. I also show patients my commuter bike leaning on the hospital wall, and I ride the exercise bike on my break and talk to patients who ask me about what I'm doing.
    You have my permission to pass the story on. Bicycle riding is fun first and foremost The benefits are numerous and far reaching. I try to show this by example to others in my situation.

  21. #21
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,494
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littledog
    You have my permission to pass the story on. Bicycle riding is fun first and foremost The benefits are numerous and far reaching. I try to show this by example to others in my situation.
    Thanks.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  22. #22
    Senior Member OneArmedScissor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buddhism is the way to create a heaven out of our Earth, imo.

    i couldn't agree more with the article. It is the endless cycle of desire which makes us unhappy. It is yourself you must compete with, striving to make yourself better. Competing with others is often unreasonable and a great source of personal unhappiness, in my opinion!

  23. #23
    Walks with a limp dijos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St Pete
    Posts
    1,341
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many people on this thread/subforum are Buddhist, I wonder?
    I am looking for a 52cm-ish lugged mixte or ladies frame. Pm if you got one.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebristolkid
    Last I checked, most college campuses were firmly attached to solid earth, which, in my experience, is typically adequate for riding a bicycle upon.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OneArmedScissor
    Buddhism is the way to create a heaven out of our Earth, imo.

    i couldn't agree more with the article. It is the endless cycle of desire which makes us unhappy. It is yourself you must compete with, striving to make yourself better. Competing with others is often unreasonable and a great source of personal unhappiness, in my opinion!
    I fully believe the motorcar is the biggest cycle of desire ever created. Billions spent on television and print media each year to have you spend 20 - 30% of your life time savings.

  25. #25
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,250
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
    I fully believe the motorcar is the biggest cycle of desire ever created. Billions spent on television and print media each year to have you spend 20 - 30% of your life time savings.
    30% I was thinking more like 50% in some cases I look back at the amount of money I have spent and spend on vehicles and all of the hidden costs and it is depressing...time to go for a bike ride and forget about it

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •