Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,454
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Carfree embarrassment?

    I just read an article by Paige Doughty on CommonDreams.org, called "To Flush or not to Flush? Battling the Social Stigmas of Environmental Action in the City." Paige sometimes feels embarrassed by her earth friendly habits, including bike commuting to work and not flushing the toilet every time she uses it. Here's an excerpt from the beginning or the story:


    When I reach the top of the hill my back is slick with sweat and my head is so hot that my cheeks will be red for an hour. I am sweating and freezing at the same time.

    In the bathroom of my workplace I strip off my clothes. There are no shower facilities, but I have packed a towel to pat the sweat from my torso. In the mirror I see that my hair is a helmet shaped bowl and that my ear warming head band has left a line across the middle of my forehead.

    I laugh at my reflection and wave air under my armpits one last time; this is not exactly how I pictured myself on the first day of work, but at least I made it up that hill alive.

    It is a wonderful and trying thing to understand that the actions you take in your daily life make a difference.

    "You rode your bike?" A co-worker exclaims when she sees the helmet in my hands. "you're crazy!" I smile and nod, yes, perhaps a little. But as I was passing the lines of cars stuck in traffic on Concord Avenue , I have to admit I smirked.



    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *



    And here is Paige's conclusion:
    In the face of global warming, and all the dire predictions that go along with it these actions may seem small. Believe me there are plenty of days when I would like to swallow the "my actions are insignificant, I am only one person" argument. Getting in a car and driving to work would be much easier than loading myself down with cold weather gear, a change of clothes, coffee mug, and everything else I need for the day, but when I stop and ponder the decision for a moment, I k now what choice I will make.

    Individual actions are one of the best ways we have to make immediate change. Change at the legislative level takes too much time and even if there is a miracle in Washington, and the government suddenly passes radical legislation on the environment, all the habits of daily life will still be calling us to act in socially acceptable and environmentally destructive ways. So, for a more sustainable future for all: Dare to be different. Don't flush.




    Last edited by Roody; 02-28-07 at 08:50 AM.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  2. #2
    Striving for Fredness deputyjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    West Michigan
    My Bikes
    Old Giant Rincon
    Posts
    1,191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't say I am embarassed at all at my cycling, but I have learned to run to the bathroom and flush the toilet when company arrives
    Monsignor: We must always fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men.
    Connor: I do believe the monsignor's finally got the point.
    Murphy: Aye.

    OttawaCountyDSA.com

  3. #3
    bragi bragi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    LHT
    Posts
    2,830
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is kind of encouraging, actually. Sometimes I do feel that my lonely car-free gesture is a futile one, not to mention a freezing cold pain in the a**, and my friends' irritating helpful condescension towards my so-called eccentricity isn't very helpful, either. ("Why don't you just buy a Prius?") It's nice to be reminded that others have made some of the same choices I have.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

  4. #4
    Biscuit Boy Cosmoline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Speeenard 'laska
    Posts
    1,358
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not ashamed of my body, but the building manager is a real reactionary.
    ''On a bicycle you're not insulated. You're in contact with the landscape and all manner of people you'd never meet if you were in a car. A fat man on a bicycle is nobody's enemy.''

    Tom Vernon.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,154
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She should just leave the helmet attached to the bicycle and buy baby wipes instead of just using nothing for her arm pits. Better yet, bring a speed stick for women.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    467
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody
    [I]I just read an article by Paige Doughty on CommonDreams.org, called "To Flush or not to Flush? Battling the Social Stigmas of Environmental Action in the City."
    Link, please?

  7. #7
    gwd
    gwd is offline
    Biker gwd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    DC
    My Bikes
    one Recumbent and one Utility Bike
    Posts
    1,917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ellenDSD
    Link, please?
    http://www.commondreams.org/views07/0223-28.htm

  8. #8
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,454
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ellenDSD
    Link, please?
    Sorry and thanks gwd


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Appalachian (commuter); Gueciotti, Merlin, Bianchi San Jose, single speed, Trek 2120 that's morphed into a single speed, Co-Motion tandem
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hooray for Paige. I also believe that change begins with the individual. I live car-light, bike or walk to work, don't flush the toilet after every use, have never owned a clothes dryer, keep thermostat at a minimum... It's encouraging to know that the entire population has not gone mad. In a recent letter to the editor in the Denver Post the writer complained that she didn't know what to do about global warming because the government had not issued any instructions - very, very sad!

  10. #10
    Striving for Fredness deputyjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    West Michigan
    My Bikes
    Old Giant Rincon
    Posts
    1,191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by centuryman
    Hooray for Paige. I also believe that change begins with the individual. I live car-light, bike or walk to work, don't flush the toilet after every use, have never owned a clothes dryer, keep thermostat at a minimum... It's encouraging to know that the entire population has not gone mad. In a recent letter to the editor in the Denver Post the writer complained that she didn't know what to do about global warming because the government had not issued any instructions - very, very sad!
    The dryer thing is something I noticed when I was in the Netherlands. Not many people have them there. During the colder months it certainly requires some forethought (especially with a habitual jeans wearer), but it can be done. I didn't use a dryer for the 10 days I was there, but washed clothes almost every day. Good example of challenging conventional wisdom. Most people would have no idea what to do (other than drive their SUV to the laundromat) if you took away their dryer.

    Pretty sad about the Denver Post writer. I guess the government hasn't provided her instructions on how to google search yet either.
    Monsignor: We must always fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men.
    Connor: I do believe the monsignor's finally got the point.
    Murphy: Aye.

    OttawaCountyDSA.com

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    90
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why doesn't someone just build a toilet that has two flush handles? A normal flush for when you take a dump, and a light flush that uses much less water for when you take a leak?

  12. #12
    Striving for Fredness deputyjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    West Michigan
    My Bikes
    Old Giant Rincon
    Posts
    1,191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff
    Why doesn't someone just build a toilet that has two flush handles? A normal flush for when you take a dump, and a light flush that uses much less water for when you take a leak?
    Actually, they had those in the Netherlands too. All "modern" tiolets were designed in this way.
    Monsignor: We must always fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men.
    Connor: I do believe the monsignor's finally got the point.
    Murphy: Aye.

    OttawaCountyDSA.com

  13. #13
    bicyclist LandLuger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyjones
    The dryer thing is something I noticed when I was in the Netherlands. Not many people have them there. During the colder months it certainly requires some forethought (especially with a habitual jeans wearer), but it can be done. I didn't use a dryer for the 10 days I was there, but washed clothes almost every day. Good example of challenging conventional wisdom. Most people would have no idea what to do (other than drive their SUV to the laundromat) if you took away their dryer.

    Pretty sad about the Denver Post writer. I guess the government hasn't provided her instructions on how to google search yet either.
    The "doing without a dryer in the winter idea" with a family of five was a bit challenging as it took literally days to dry clothes that were simply hung up inside. When I acquired the EPA certified woodstove to heat the home all that changed. Clothes are now bone dry in hours when hung up in the far end of the room opposite the stove. Nowadays the dryer sits mostly unused.

  14. #14
    bicyclist LandLuger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff
    Why doesn't someone just build a toilet that has two flush handles? A normal flush for when you take a dump, and a light flush that uses much less water for when you take a leak?
    I installed a Caroma in my son's bathroom last year. A water efficient toilet that actually works; who would have guessed such an animal existed.

    http://www.caroma.com.au/index.html

  15. #15
    bragi bragi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    LHT
    Posts
    2,830
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is almost off-thread, but are dryers that bad? I use a dryer all the time, and my monthly electric bills are only about $22. I'd like to think that level of energy use entitles me to have dry jeans on demand.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

  16. #16
    Striving for Fredness deputyjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    West Michigan
    My Bikes
    Old Giant Rincon
    Posts
    1,191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bragi
    I know this is almost off-thread, but are dryers that bad? I use a dryer all the time, and my monthly electric bills are only about $22. I'd like to think that level of energy use entitles me to have dry jeans on demand.
    Here is a list of typical appliance energy usage:
    http://www.city.ames.ia.us/ElectricW...appliances.htm

    Same range as a refrigerator which is pretty significant, but to each his own.

    Good call with the wood stove BTW LL. I might look into that in my new house. Did you buy the caroma in the US? Looked like it was only available in Australia from their website.
    Monsignor: We must always fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men.
    Connor: I do believe the monsignor's finally got the point.
    Murphy: Aye.

    OttawaCountyDSA.com

  17. #17
    Senior Member donrhummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyjones
    Actually, they had those in the Netherlands too. All "modern" tiolets were designed in this way.
    What if instead the toilet (and faucet) distilled the water and then reused it? You'd probably only need 5-10% of the water you need now (since it's ulikely to retain 100%, although your urine adds some water to the mix). Would you be afraid of showering with that water? Cleaning dishes?

  18. #18
    bicyclist LandLuger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyjones
    Here is a list of typical appliance energy usage:
    http://www.city.ames.ia.us/ElectricW...appliances.htm

    Same range as a refrigerator which is pretty significant, but to each his own.

    Good call with the wood stove BTW LL. I might look into that in my new house. Did you buy the caroma in the US? Looked like it was only available in Australia from their website.
    Yes. I can't remember the supplier offhand, but if your serious I could go through my receipts and email you. The toilet is wonderful and uses .75 gallons a flush when you push the small button and 1.5 when you hit the large button. Even more important it gets the job done.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donrhummy
    What if instead the toilet (and faucet) distilled the water and then reused it? You'd probably only need 5-10% of the water you need now (since it's ulikely to retain 100%, although your urine adds some water to the mix). Would you be afraid of showering with that water? Cleaning dishes?
    Better yet? Why not just install big pipes underground to take all the water to a central location where it can be distilled and then released back to nature?

    Honestly, I don't understand why people try to conserve water. It can be purified easily enough and, unlike air, it doesn't sneak its way into your lungs involuntarily.

  20. #20
    Formerly Known as Newbie Juha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,661
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Water efficient toilets are the norm around here. Earlier I seem to remember some people filled a 1,5l soda bottle with water and put it in the flush tank. And it's becoming increasingly typical to install automatic faucets in commercial establishments (faucets turn on and off automatically, manufacturers claim a 50% reduction in water consumption). The idea being that conserving water is more efficient than purification.

    --J
    To err is human. To moo is bovine.

    Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?


    Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
    Community guidelines

  21. #21
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,208
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by makeinu
    Better yet? Why not just install big pipes underground to take all the water to a central location where it can be distilled and then released back to nature?

    Honestly, I don't understand why people try to conserve water. It can be purified easily enough and, unlike air, it doesn't sneak its way into your lungs involuntarily.
    Several reasons...it costs money to process water and uses harmful chemicals. Another is water that is in process (in pipes, treatment tanks, or water towers, etc) is water that is not available in the environment. Take a look at the Colorado River basin issues. The deserts of Egypt used to be a fertile green valley until they over used the water in it. (other issues involved but that was a main one)

    I used to have a house with a gray water system in it. Waste water from the shower, washer and sinks was used to flush toilets and water the gardens, it was outlawed and I was made to disassemble it. We currently use under the minimum on our water bill every month. I bought the most water miserly washing machine I could find, we normally only take showers. Wash dishes by hand (that one is debatable) and don't water the grass. My gardens are square foot gardens which require minimal watering compared to a normal row garden.

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  22. #22
    put our Heads Together cerewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    southeast pennsylvania
    My Bikes
    a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike
    Posts
    3,149
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a dryer all the time, and my monthly electric bills are only about $22.
    Honestly, my first thought was that you have a natural-gas dryer. But maybe not.
    Some awesome folks who are working to give Haitians the ability to manage their safety and their lives:
    Haiti Partners

  23. #23
    In the right lane gerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Posts
    9,084
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bragi
    I know this is almost off-thread, but are dryers that bad? I use a dryer all the time, and my monthly electric bills are only about $22. I'd like to think that level of energy use entitles me to have dry jeans on demand.
    I regularly hang up my clothes to dry. In winter, this provides some extra humidity in the house so I don't need to buy a humidifier. In summer, the jeans will dry almost as quickly outdoors as in the dryer. Only problem is when a squirrel deposits a payload, but this is a fairly rare event.

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoonc
    Several reasons...it costs money to process water and uses harmful chemicals. Another is water that is in process (in pipes, treatment tanks, or water towers, etc) is water that is not available in the environment. Take a look at the Colorado River basin issues. The deserts of Egypt used to be a fertile green valley until they over used the water in it. (other issues involved but that was a main one)
    If the water can't be processed to satisfaction at treatment facilities then how could it possibly be processed to satisfaction at home using green methods? On the other hand, if the water can be processed for recycling using green methods at home, then why not implement the same techniques at the plants?

    If it's good enough for me to shower and wash dishes then it's good enough for nature. After all, apart from romanticism, the only reason to care about clean water in nature is because that water may eventually find its way into personal usage (directly or indirectly).

    Also, what's so bad about deserts? I find Arizona to be quite nice.

    I am concerned about keeping very toxic chemicals out of the world's rivers/oceans/etc. I am not concerned about biological wastes returning to nature.

  25. #25
    Striving for Fredness deputyjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    West Michigan
    My Bikes
    Old Giant Rincon
    Posts
    1,191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLuger
    Yes. I can't remember the supplier offhand, but if your serious I could go through my receipts and email you. The toilet is wonderful and uses .75 gallons a flush when you push the small button and 1.5 when you hit the large button. Even more important it gets the job done.
    Yeah, no rush, but whenever you get a chance I would appreciate it. I am interested and know some other folks who would be as well. I have 2 brothers-in-law from the Netherlands who would probably consider buying one.

    Thanks.
    Monsignor: We must always fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men.
    Connor: I do believe the monsignor's finally got the point.
    Murphy: Aye.

    OttawaCountyDSA.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •