Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-15-07, 09:58 AM   #1
gwd
Biker
Thread Starter
 
gwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DC
Bikes: one Recumbent and one Utility Bike
Posts: 1,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Apartment Bikes

I pass this apartment building occasionally and see the bicycles lined up like this on either side of the front door. I stopped to ask the guys on the front step if it is because the owner doesn't allow bikes inside the apartments but no one wanted to talk to me. They were talking to each other in Spanish but I thought someone would understand my English with hand gestures. So I don't know. There are also many bikes locked to signs around there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AptBiks.jpg (41.1 KB, 159 views)
gwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 11:07 AM   #2
donrhummy
Senior Member
 
donrhummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why would you think they're out there because of the landlord not allowing it? Most people don't care if their bikes get rusty and would never want it in their apartment (too dirty). Most of the people around here leave their bike out in rain/snow, etc. The chain rusts, the seat gets moldy and they don't care. I don't understand it.
donrhummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 11:13 AM   #3
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwd
I pass this apartment building occasionally and see the bicycles lined up like this on either side of the front door. I stopped to ask the guys on the front step if it is because the owner doesn't allow bikes inside the apartments but no one wanted to talk to me. They were talking to each other in Spanish but I thought someone would understand my English with hand gestures. So I don't know. There are also many bikes locked to signs around there.
Convenience and utility just might be a consideration.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 11:32 AM   #4
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy
 
Cosmoline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Speeenard 'laska
Bikes:
Posts: 1,355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What country is that in?
Cosmoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 12:15 PM   #5
YoungerNow
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Somerville, MA
Bikes: Trek Multitrack 7300
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Convenience, cleanliness.

The bike I ride most frequently is the beater that I leave outside on the back porch, out of sight but unlocked. I ride it the most often because it's more convenient than hauling one of the nicer bikes downstairs and then back up again. And I feel better about riding this bike in crappy weather, because even if it gets filthy it won't be tracking grime inside.

If I didn't have a back porch, I'd probably keep it locked up somewhere else outside, like the bikes in your photo.
YoungerNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 12:55 PM   #6
gwd
Biker
Thread Starter
 
gwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DC
Bikes: one Recumbent and one Utility Bike
Posts: 1,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrhummy
Why would you think they're out there because of the landlord not allowing it? Most people don't care if their bikes get rusty and would never want it in their apartment (too dirty). Most of the people around here leave their bike out in rain/snow, etc. The chain rusts, the seat gets moldy and they don't care. I don't understand it.
Well, this building is different from the rest in the area. This is the only one with so many bikes out front, twice as many as in the photo. Also, the people line their bikes up neatly. It isn't just rust but in the city people will remove parts from your bike. If there are always people on the front step maybe the parts removal isn't a problem. It was just a guess about the landlord. Many apartments have a bike room. My building has maybe 50 bikes in the bike room and many of us keep our bikes in our apartments. I find it more convenient to have the bike in the apartment than in the bike room or on the street.
gwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 01:34 PM   #7
donnamb 
tired
 
donnamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
Posts: 5,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmoline
What country is that in?
I think it is the Washington, DC area. Some would argue that inside the Beltway is a universe unto itself, Cosmoline.
__________________
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
donnamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 01:52 PM   #8
folder fanatic
Banned.
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Bikes:
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Different bikes for different purposes. I think that these people probably don't value bikes the same way like people do on this and other forums. They buy the bike at a department store new or a beater from various sources-or maybe the bike was even donated (given) to them. Whatever the reason, the bike might never seen the inside of a bike shop or if so, for a very long time. The bike does what it is intended for-cheap transportation-and that is all. This appears to be a example of cultural, rather than bicycle, differences amoung people using the bikes vs. people viewing the photo.
folder fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 03:25 PM   #9
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy
 
Cosmoline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Speeenard 'laska
Bikes:
Posts: 1,355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow. Having to resort to hand gestures because nobody understands English--I guess Lou Dobbs is right! LOL
Cosmoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 03:37 PM   #10
cerewa
put our Heads Together
 
cerewa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: southeast pennsylvania
Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike
Posts: 3,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My bike doesn't come inside because that would involve dealing with doors, stairs, and tight spaces all at once. Similar issues may apply there, or it could be that the landlord doesn't like dirty carpets.
cerewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 05:02 PM   #11
Slow Train
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: 2006 Specialized S-Works Tricross
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's a similar apartment building around the corner from me. Though rather than being neatly lined up the bikes are scattered everywhere up & down the block locked to every secure fixture. Through out DC you can find apartment building likes this. Typically they are cheaper buildings occupied by Hispanic workers. Better managed apartments wouldn't tolerate the 'junk yard' look.

As for why? I've talked with a few of these guys and while I've never asked this question I do know that the apartments themselves are very (over)crowded. So they probably just don't want the bike in the way.
Slow Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 09:00 AM   #12
gwd
Biker
Thread Starter
 
gwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DC
Bikes: one Recumbent and one Utility Bike
Posts: 1,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Train
There's a similar apartment building around the corner from me. Though rather than being neatly lined up the bikes are scattered everywhere up & down the block locked to every secure fixture. Through out DC you can find apartment building likes this. Typically they are cheaper buildings occupied by Hispanic workers. Better managed apartments wouldn't tolerate the 'junk yard' look.

As for why? I've talked with a few of these guys and while I've never asked this question I do know that the apartments themselves are very (over)crowded. So they probably just don't want the bike in the way.
The building is at 11th and N NW. Ride past and see how the density of bikes exceeds that of other buildings on the block. I notice the building every time I ride down 11th street.
gwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 11:07 AM   #13
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
It looks like a pretty nice place to live.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 02:02 PM   #14
gwd
Biker
Thread Starter
 
gwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DC
Bikes: one Recumbent and one Utility Bike
Posts: 1,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody
It looks like a pretty nice place to live.
Its on the frontier. A few blocks west is a pricey neighborhood where my bosses
boss lives. A few blocks east or some would say that block is a high crime area. The "No Loitering" signs on the building in English and Spanish is a clue that the management has had a problem with non-residents hanging out and causing trouble for residents.
gwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:30 PM.