Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: My car-free day

  1. #1
    Dubito ergo sum. patc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    My Bikes
    Bessie.
    Posts
    1,735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My car-free day

    I'm setting up a new (and much larger) office, so time to get a few luxuries. One bar fridge, one microwave oven, and (in the yellow bin) a coffee-maker and two bags of groceries. I'm not sure if this is a record for me on the trailer, but certainly comes close.



    While I was loading the trailer I had a chat with a nice couple. They had just unlocked their bikes, and wanted to know about the trailer (its a Wike). It turns out they are car-free too and had considered getting a trailer, but hadn't really spoken with anyone who used use regularly.

    Who needs a car?

  2. #2
    In the right lane gerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Posts
    9,277
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great trailer. Do you regularly haul groceries or other cargo with it? If yes, do you notice any wear on the rear wheel or hub?

  3. #3
    Dubito ergo sum. patc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    My Bikes
    Bessie.
    Posts
    1,735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerv
    That's a great trailer. Do you regularly haul groceries or other cargo with it? If yes, do you notice any wear on the rear wheel or hub?
    I haul groceries with it every other week, using two yellow bins like the one in the photo (about 2/3 of a grocery cart). I also haul photo gear with it, and moved most of my stuff to the old office using the trailer. In summer the trailer is used about twice a week, sometimes three times, distances of up to 15km (but usually about 5). In winter it sees less use, because I get lazier.

    I did have to replace the dirt cheap rear wheel that came with the bike, but in addition to the trailer I often have full pannier bags, and/or a heavy back-pack, and/or stuff bungeed to the rack. The current rear wheel has been there almost two years, cost me about $70CAD, and has been trouble-free.

  4. #4
    bicyclist LandLuger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    patc,

    That's great; I wish I had taken a picture of my bike the other day when I brought home a handtruck (dolly) from the hardware store zip-tied to the rear rack. If anyone ever wondered, the bearings in the wheels of a typical handtruck hold up pretty well at 30MPH

  5. #5
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,942
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patc
    I'm setting up a new (and much larger) office, so time to get a few luxuries. One bar fridge, one microwave oven, and (in the yellow bin) a coffee-maker and two bags of groceries. I'm not sure if this is a record for me on the trailer, but certainly comes close.



    While I was loading the trailer I had a chat with a nice couple. They had just unlocked their bikes, and wanted to know about the trailer (its a Wike). It turns out they are car-free too and had considered getting a trailer, but hadn't really spoken with anyone who used use regularly.

    Who needs a car?
    If I can get nearer to car free, I would definitely consider a trailer made up the road, versus one made 25,000km away in the worlds biggest slave labour camp. I wonder if they have a corporate store, where you can go in, buy your trailer with cash and ride home with it, saving the shipping costs. Guelph isn't really that far from Toronto

  6. #6
    the bike made me do it oneredstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Paris, of the prairies
    Posts
    528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    patc, I am curious about the construction of the wike trailers. Seems like all the joints on the frame are plastic. I was considering this trailer a few years ago but did not trust its strength. Did you use it in the winter? I know the cold plastic are not good friends.

  7. #7
    Dubito ergo sum. patc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    My Bikes
    Bessie.
    Posts
    1,735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oneredstar
    patc, I am curious about the construction of the wike trailers. Seems like all the joints on the frame are plastic. I was considering this trailer a few years ago but did not trust its strength. Did you use it in the winter? I know the cold plastic are not good friends.
    Yup, I use it in winter. I was not concerned about the joints - there are many types of "plastic", some very strong. The joints show no sign of damage. I was worried about the blue rubber bit that attaches to the hitch (lets the trailer twist as you ride), but it has survived winters just fine too. I've never tested the trailer at its rates capacity (125lbs if I recall), but it has taken plenty of abuse and survived just fine.

  8. #8
    Dubito ergo sum. patc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    My Bikes
    Bessie.
    Posts
    1,735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogsterca
    If I can get nearer to car free, I would definitely consider a trailer made up the road, versus one made 25,000km away in the worlds biggest slave labour camp. I wonder if they have a corporate store, where you can go in, buy your trailer with cash and ride home with it, saving the shipping costs. Guelph isn't really that far from Toronto
    Call 'em and ask! http://wike.ca/contact.htm

  9. #9
    In the right lane gerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Posts
    9,277
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patc
    I did have to replace the dirt cheap rear wheel that came with the bike, but in addition to the trailer I often have full pannier bags, and/or a heavy back-pack, and/or stuff bungeed to the rack. The current rear wheel has been there almost two years, cost me about $70CAD, and has been trouble-free.
    If you got 2 trouble-free years out of that wheel, you are very fortunate. I normally carry 10-15 pounds on my rack about 60 miles a week and I've been through 3 wheels in the last year. I finally broke down and got my own truing stand and tension meter. Every couple of months, I have to re-true the real wheel.

    One thing about the trailer though is that it should not be as hard on spokes. I think it would harder on the hub...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •