Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,286
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    This should be a felony crime.......

    Hit & run drivers......

    http://wcco.com/local/local_story_093221247.html

    A$$holes.......
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

    Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

  2. #2
    cs1
    cs1 is offline
    Senior Member cs1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Clev Oh
    My Bikes
    Specialized, Schwinn
    Posts
    6,276
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tightwad
    This should be a felony crime
    It is a felony crime.

    Tim
    1999 Waterford RSE-11, 1995 Waterford 1200, 1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    1989 Raleigh Technium, 1989 Schwinn Traveler, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper
    1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper and just way too many projects to list.

  3. #3
    Striving for Fredness deputyjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    West Michigan
    My Bikes
    Old Giant Rincon
    Posts
    1,191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cs1
    It is a felony crime.

    Tim
    +1, it is in MI anyway. The irony being that if the person wasn't drunk they would have probably gotten off with a ticket.
    Monsignor: We must always fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men.
    Connor: I do believe the monsignor's finally got the point.
    Murphy: Aye.

    OttawaCountyDSA.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    My Bikes
    2005 Performer Toscana, 2000 Kona Hoo-Ha, RANS Rocket
    Posts
    421
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This whole incident is shameful!

    The rider apparently was doing everything right. Hit from behind. Nobody stopped to help. Other cars didn't bother avoiding the wrecked bike.

    I hope at least someone comes forward with a vehicle description.

  5. #5
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,694
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They set up a relief fund for the poor guy. I hope people help him get a new bike, if he's able to ride after he rehabs from the injuries.

    Chris Zito Fund
    C/O TCF Bank
    801 Marquette Avenue 001-01-J
    Minneapolis, MN 55402-9984


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  6. #6
    bicyclist LandLuger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's @#*t like this that keeps half the people I know slaves to the automobile and afraid of the bicycle. The President might want to consider putting his energies into getting more cops on the streets and give less lip service to pie-in-the-sky energy gimmicks. But no money in that, huh W?

  7. #7
    Senior Member ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,676
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLuger
    It's @#*t like this that keeps half the people I know slaves to the automobile and afraid of the bicycle. The President might want to consider putting his energies into getting more cops on the streets and give less lip service to pie-in-the-sky energy gimmicks. But no money in that, huh W?
    Police and State law enforcement is not a federal government issue. This is something the Governor of the State and the Mayors of the towns and cities are responsible for. So why are you bringing W. into this?
    1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold

  8. #8
    bicyclist LandLuger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Pres has the Bully Pulpit; the means to set the agenda. While I realize that his poor poll numbers limits his present effectiveness, I would like to see something more than inspecting a few electric cars on the WH lawn towards furthering the goal of foreign energy independence for our country. Don't assume that I'm some "Kool-aid" drinker looking to bash the pres, I'm just as disappointed in the congress. Furthermore, there have been federal bills passed providing federal funds toward getting more cops on the street. As I've written before, get one person out of the car and it's like getting five people into hybrid electric/gas automobiles. However, so few will take the risk on our roadways that's why I have to come to BF for CF advice. It's ridiculous out on the roads these days; people get away with almost anything and the speed limit isn't a maximum its become a minimum. The few cops that we have left in our city can't be expected to cover a small fraction of the area that is demanded of them. Our department has lost many to the reserves in our nation's effort in the ME. The precious remaining officers are spending more time than ever before dealing with the gangs that migrated north to our city from New Orleans following Katrina.

    Sorry to get off on a rant, but I'm just fed up.
    Last edited by LandLuger; 04-05-07 at 05:54 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,676
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok..so W. can say a few words. That aint going to change a thing.

    You would be much better served by contacting your state legislative representatives and trying to get them to do more as far as money for law enforcement. Contact the mayor of your city and your city council, people in the local governement can do far more than GWB.

    IMO, part of the problem in the US now is that too many people are looking to the Feds to be the answer to all the problems. The US is not set up that way. In fact, the Federal Government should probably be 10% or less of the governance that we fall under, instead, its something closer to 90% of our governance. The problems we all deal with each and every day are local issues, and I for one do not want some yahoo in DC who knows nothing of my lifestyle trying to govern it from afar.

    Ok..my rant is over.

    And it really sucks what happened to this guy. I hope they find the person who hit him, and the people who passed by without offering assistance. If the second group can't be charged with a crime, well their names can be published so their neighbors know what scum they are.
    1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold

  10. #10
    tired donnamb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
    Posts
    5,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyjones
    +1, it is in MI anyway. The irony being that if the person wasn't drunk they would have probably gotten off with a ticket.
    In Oregon we often call it "$242 hunting licenses".
    "Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."

  11. #11
    Dare to be weird!
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Austin TX
    My Bikes
    Hybridized 1970s Coppi road bike; Townie city cruiser
    Posts
    1,990
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a saying that goes if you want to get away with murder, either take your victim hunting or catch him riding a bicycle. Don't remember where I heard that, maybe it was even from this sub forum.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    467
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll admit that my thinking may be stretching it a bit but the "every man/woman for himself/herself mentality is what has gotten this country/planet into the mess we are currently in. Basic human decency has become the exception.

  13. #13
    Senior Member filtersweep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,615
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is crazy- Hiawatha is practically a freeway-- I am sure he wasn't just bumped.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLuger
    The Pres has the Bully Pulpit; the means to set the agenda. While I realize that his poor poll numbers limits his present effectiveness, I would like to see something more than inspecting a few electric cars on the WH lawn towards furthering the goal of foreign energy independence for our country. Don't assume that I'm some "Kool-aid" drinker looking to bash the pres, I'm just as disappointed in the congress. Furthermore, there have been federal bills passed providing federal funds toward getting more cops on the street. As I've written before, get one person out of the car and it's like getting five people into hybrid electric/gas automobiles. However, so few will take the risk on our roadways that's why I have to come to BF for CF advice. It's ridiculous out on the roads these days; people get away with almost anything and the speed limit isn't a maximum its become a minimum. The few cops that we have left in our city can't be expected to cover a small fraction of the area that is demanded of them. Our department has lost many to the reserves in our nation's effort in the ME. The precious remaining officers are spending more time than ever before dealing with the gangs that migrated north to our city from New Orleans following Katrina.

    Sorry to get off on a rant, but I'm just fed up.
    I've never heard of people who bash the president being called "kool-aid" drinkers...where does that come from? Anyway I think hybrids are legitimate..and we should think about finding alternative energy sources.

  15. #15
    bicyclist LandLuger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  16. #16
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,694
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyjones
    +1, it is in MI anyway. The irony being that if the person wasn't drunk they would have probably gotten off with a ticket.
    He might have gotten off even if he was drunk.

    A friend of mine was hit by a drunk driver. As they were waiting for the police to arrive, the guy went in a nearby liquor store, bought a fifth of booze and started chugging it down in front of a lot of witnesses. When the cops arrived, he told them to go ahead and do a breathalyzer. He said it would only prove that he had been drinking after the accident! The cops arrested him anyway, but he did beat the drunk driving charge in court. It turned out that he was an attorney who specialized in drink driving cases. I encouraged my friend to go after his license to practice law, but he didn't want to mess with it.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •