Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Living Car Free (http://www.bikeforums.net/living-car-free/)
-   -   The car-free teenager thread (http://www.bikeforums.net/living-car-free/346346-car-free-teenager-thread.html)

GattMood 01-30-08 09:35 PM

Hi, I'm 18, and right now I'm car free. I got my license 2 years ago, and got my car a little over a year ago. But due to mechanical problems, having no job for periods of time, and my car failing inspection, I've gotten rid of it. I love riding my bike, and plan to start riding to school once it warms up. But I realized that living where I do, and working almost requires me to have a car. But I still dislike driving, alot.

crhilton 01-31-08 06:02 PM

Teenagers buy cars for procreation not transportation. So you should probably start from there ;).

Oh, and there's a long string of excuses about freedom and such but it's really all code for procreation.

roughrider504 02-02-08 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crhilton (Post 6086377)
Teenagers buy cars for procreation not transportation. So you should probably start from there ;).

Oh, and there's a long string of excuses about freedom and such but it's really all code for procreation.

I disagree. That might go for some teenagers, but not every teen's life revolves around sex. It might seem that way but it's not the case.

I think most people my age wants cars because they are status symbols.

EthanYQX 02-02-08 02:31 PM

And because you can't tow motocross bikes or snowmobiles with a bike.

kjohnnytarr 02-02-08 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrankshaftYQX (Post 6096731)
And because you can't tow motocross bikes or snowmobiles with a bike.

I call BS.

EthanYQX 02-02-08 03:22 PM

I've tried:D

crhilton 02-02-08 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roughrider504 (Post 6095554)
I disagree. That might go for some teenagers, but not every teen's life revolves around sex. It might seem that way but it's not the case.

I think most people my age wants cars because they are status symbols.

The status symbol is about procreation. I was a teenager, a few years ago, and I wasn't getting any. It was still all about sex. Even status was about sex in high school. Kids with higher status had it because they either had more sex appeal or more sexual endeavors with kids who had high sex appeal. a.k.a. you were nobody if you couldn't get a pretty girl, or weren't a pretty girl.

This is a big generalization, so there will be exceptions. And it's my biased subjective opinion.

Edit: And it's funnier than the other reasons.

nschessnerd 02-04-08 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crhilton (Post 6097188)
The status symbol is about procreation. I was a teenager, a few years ago, and I wasn't getting any. It was still all about sex. Even status was about sex in high school. Kids with higher status had it because they either had more sex appeal or more sexual endeavors with kids who had high sex appeal. a.k.a. you were nobody if you couldn't get a pretty girl, or weren't a pretty girl.

This is a big generalization, so there will be exceptions. And it's my biased subjective opinion.

Edit: And it's funnier than the other reasons.


Hahahaha, I agree, but im like a computer geek and i dont have a chance anyway so I just gave up. Plus a black fixie with yellow rims is hotter than any car you can show me.

Who needs a girl when you got a bike?

roughrider504 02-04-08 12:04 PM

Quote:

Who needs a girl when you got a bike?
*highfive* :roflmao:

carbonjockey 02-04-08 04:38 PM

i dont know if any of you read bicycling mag, but they had a quiz about how you love your bike v girlfriend/wife and it was pretty funny. it asked about how often you think about it compared to her, how many pics you have of it, how much time/money you spend on it. i def had more points with my bike than gf: maybe thats why we broke up lol... no complaints here(more money for bike)

the9412 02-07-08 12:10 PM

I'm glad I live in San Francisco, I've never driven a car here at age 19 and don't plan to in the for see able future. More than half my friends can't drive either and have no urge to.

folder fanatic 02-07-08 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roughrider504 (Post 5316631)
Really starting to think about skipping the car. I will be getting my license next year but I am unsure about giving into the car. I have been thinking it is just not favorable for me to own a car. Gas is going up and it will be expensive to insure me being a teenager. Currently, everything I would do with a car I could do on a bicycle. Not to mention helping the environment. School is less than two miles away and I can fix anything mechanically on my bicycles. So what am I asking? Well I am asking about for experiences or advice. I hear a bunch about people living car free, but not anything about teens and car-free living. What do you think?

I am not a teenager anymore for a long time now. But when I was, I did use a bicycle exclusively right here in Southern California where the car is king. It kept me fit and independent. I am still fit and independent even today-now of cars and anything else that is truly unecessary which could be accomplished better/cheaper by something else. To see the bikes of my youth see my Flickr site at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/world-o...7594325178229/

You might be much like me when you reach your fifties too-healthy and free!

patric 02-10-08 10:23 AM

don't drive without insurance. someone hit me and i got put with the $2,145 bill.

it did put me back into biking though. :)

ivegotabike 02-10-08 05:52 PM

I drive but do not have a car. I ride places when im going alone, i drive when im going out with people, unless someone else is driving.

jliu33 02-14-08 12:46 AM

For a teenage driver...
Insurance: $125 /month
Gas: $50 /month (at least)
Oil & other tuneups: $20 - $50 /month
The speeding ticket that everyone gets: $120
Costs that you would never even think of: $500

Riding your bike and not having to pay for any of this: Priceless
Trust me, it's worth it.

roughrider504 02-14-08 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jliu33 (Post 6162835)
For a teenage driver...
Insurance: $125 /month
Gas: $50 /month (at least)
Oil & other tuneups: $20 - $50 /month
The speeding ticket that everyone gets: $120
Costs that you would never even think of: $500

Riding your bike and not having to pay for any of this: Priceless
Trust me, it's worth it.

Not to mention the price of the vehicle itself.

I am pretty surprised that my parents are fine with my choice to go car-free at least until college. Its no big surprise to them since I already use my bicycle for going to stores, etc, all the things someone my age would use a car for.

Its no big deal to me, I don't see why most people make a huge deal out of it. It takes a little more effort to be car-free but it pays off, literally.

Joshua417 02-27-08 01:05 AM

For you "never get/need a car!" people. How does one manage time? Say you are invited to a party, or some social gathering. Maybe a last minute lunch/dinner. What do you do when you only have X amount of minutes to get somewhere? Could owning just a bike cause social problems?

I also like having a car for emergencies or having to drive a loved one somewhere when they can't. What do you do when you have to tell your friend you can't drive him to the ER because he just ate some poison of some kind and you both are car free? (dont say call 911)

These are situations that I as a person can't risk dealing with. I would just like to know a car free persons view and argument on this.


I'm 18, I used to ride my bike everywhere but I stopped when I got a car. I also moved to corn fields and it was a 20 minute drive to my school... so don't hate, it was forced. :)

patric 02-27-08 01:25 AM

i know a man who's gone his whole life so far without a car or lisence. he's about 50, i think.
but he owns a bike shop, and his wife drives.

i'd like to go my whole life without driving, but it's just not possible for some of us.

that's why i bought a bike rack for my car. :)

nasiralpharia 02-27-08 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshua417 (Post 6239481)
I also like having a car for emergencies or having to drive a loved one somewhere when they can't. What do you do when you have to tell your friend you can't drive him to the ER because he just ate some poison of some kind and you both are car free? (dont say call 911)

Thats what 911 is for what do you mean. Either its an emergency or not. If it is then call 911, I would rather ride in an ambulance with ppl that are trained than just jump in the car and haul to the hospital. why would you not call 911? If its not an emergency than take a cab. It doesn't really make much sense to spend hundreds of dollars and have a large machine parked outside for just in case.

If you really need to get somewhere in a hurry take a cab or something. If that happens to you often, than its probably bad planning. Just analyze how many days a month something like that comes up.

TuckertonRR 02-27-08 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jliu33 (Post 6162835)
For a teenage driver...
Insurance: $125 /month
Gas: $50 /month (at least)
Oil & other tuneups: $20 - $50 /month
The speeding ticket that everyone gets: $120
Costs that you would never even think of: $500

Riding your bike and not having to pay for any of this: Priceless
Trust me, it's worth it.

When the insurance company finds out about the speeding ticket, insurance'll be $200+ if they don't drop you.

Joshua417 02-27-08 03:57 PM

Ok your right 911 is good for that situation. What about if your wife is pregnant? All I'm saying is it's good to have a car and a license for situations a bike just doesn't cut it.

carbonjockey 02-29-08 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivegotabike (Post 6141417)
I drive but do not have a car. I ride places when im going alone, i drive when im going out with people, unless someone else is driving.

hmm what does this even mean??

Youngin 03-06-08 05:50 PM

Ugh, my mom tells me it's a life skill. So is biking. Mom, get me another bike, skip the coffin and the car. I'm 15 and haven't started drivers ed, don't plan on it either.

Rusty Piton 03-10-08 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roughrider504 (Post 6164113)
Its no big deal to me, I don't see why most people make a huge deal out of it.

That's because you're clearly smarter and more mature than your peers.

ivegotabike 03-11-08 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbonjockey (Post 6256760)
hmm what does this even mean??


It means i dont make my girlfriend ride on my handlebars when i take her out to dinner. Shes getting a bike soon (or so her parents say) so then i wont have any reason to drive.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:00 PM.