Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-27-07, 01:11 PM   #1
Izengabe
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rudy Giuliani: The 1st car free President?

Intersting tid bit. Rudy Giuliani is the only presidential candidate who doesn't drive or own a car.

Just thought it was kind of cool that he was the only person running for President who has lived a car free lifestyle.

Here is a story on it from The Nation:

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/campa...ers?pid=194837
Izengabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 01:20 PM   #2
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator
 
KrisPistofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: POS Tennessee
Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed
Posts: 7,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
9-11 but you know 9-11 and of course 9-11but then you take into account 9-11after that happens you get 9-11 leading inexorably to 9-11and therefore 9-11 I named my dog 9-11 after Curly Joe there was 9-11 even if 9-11 makes a plopping sound like 9-11.

The ******bag lives in NYC, of course he has no car. Hitler was a vegetarian like me, but it wouldn't make me vote for him.

Oh, and in other news:




Giuliani's '$9.11' Pitch Criticized By Dodd
Calls Fundraising Tactic `Shameless'

By DAVID LIGHTMAN | Washington Bureau Chief
September 26, 2007




WASHINGTON - Rudy Giuliani's supporters are trying to raise money by asking for $9.11 from contributors, a tactic U.S. Sen. Christopher Dodd's campaign Tuesday called "shameless and sickening."

Giuliani, a Republican candidate for president, was mayor of New York City at the time of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, and his stump speech is full of recollections about how he took charge and became known as "America's Mayor."

The Associated Press reported that the "$9.11 for Rudy" campaign is part of a fundraising event scheduled for today in Palo Alto, Calif., at the home of Abraham Sofaer.

Sofaer, a Republican donor who was a State Department official in the Reagan administration, said the $9.11 contribution was not his idea. "There are some young people who came up with it," he told the AP.

Giuliani campaign officials said the idea was selected without their knowledge.

"These are two volunteers who acted independently of and without the knowledge of the campaign," campaign spokeswoman Maria Comella told AP. "Their decision to ask individuals for that amount was an unfortunate choice."

According to the invitation, "$9.11 for Rudy" is an "independent, non-denominational grass-roots campaign to raise $10,000 in small increments to show how many individual, everyday Americans support 'America's Mayor.'"

The Dodd campaign was quick to protest.

"Exploiting the Sept. 11th attacks for fundraising purposes is absolutely unconscionable, shameless and sickening," spokesman Colleen Flanagan said. "Mr. Giuliani was quick to express much vitriol for the independent ad created by MoveOn.org last week [that criticizes Gen. David Petraeus]. We would hope he would express the same kind of outrage and indignation about this group that he is the beneficiary of."

Flanagan added, "Mr. Giuliani should reject and/or return any money raised and ask that their activities on his behalf stop immediately."

Contact David Lightman at dlightman@courant.com.

http://www.courant.com/news/custom/t...,1370826.story
KrisPistofferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 01:24 PM   #3
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Giuliani was driven everywhere when he was mayor. Mayor Bloomberg takes the subway.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 01:33 PM   #4
Izengabe
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
Giuliani was driven everywhere when he was mayor. Mayor Bloomberg takes the subway.
Actually Bloomberg is driven to the subways. But I still got to give him points for at least making an effort.

Also I know for a fact that Giuliani lived car free and used mass transit before he was Mayor. I used to see him every once in awhile on the Subway before he was elected Mayor.
Izengabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 01:35 PM   #5
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izengabe View Post
Actually Bloomberg is driven to the subways. But I still got to give him points for at least making an effort.

Also I know for a fact that Giuliani lived car free and used mass transit before he was Mayor. I used to see him every once in awhile on the Subway before he was elected Mayor
.
I stand corrected. But I still think Bloomberg has done a lot more for the carfree movement than just about any other mainstream pol in America.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 01:59 PM   #6
Jerseysbest
J E R S E Y S B E S T
 
Jerseysbest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: DC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
Giuliani was driven everywhere when he was mayor. Mayor Bloomberg takes the subway.
Sorta...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/01/ny...bloomberg.html

My friend lives right by the station Bloomburg should take, no reason for him not to take it. And its the Upper East Side, so many other rich white people around, he should feel at home.

Jerseysbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 02:57 PM   #7
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy
 
Cosmoline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Speeenard 'laska
Bikes:
Posts: 1,355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
The ******bag lives in NYC, of course he has no car. Hitler was a vegetarian like me, but it wouldn't make me vote for him.
Remember, freedom is about authority.
Cosmoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 03:15 PM   #8
gosmsgo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ah bicyclists......

They never cease to amaze me.

Mention a republicans name and watch the left wing nutjobs make an ass outta themselves.

I was at an event here one time talking about how great bicycling was going to be in our city.

The person said, "That if George Bush doesnt turn it into F$^#@%# Nazism MAN!!!"

What an idiot.
gosmsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 03:27 PM   #9
cerewa
put our Heads Together
 
cerewa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: southeast pennsylvania
Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike
Posts: 3,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
and here I always thought the first car-free president of the USA was named George W

.

.

.

.

.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


ashington
cerewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 03:46 PM   #10
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator
 
KrisPistofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: POS Tennessee
Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed
Posts: 7,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosmsgo View Post
Ah bicyclists......

They never cease to amaze me.

Mention a republicans name and watch the left wing nutjobs make an ass outta themselves.

I was at an event here one time talking about how great bicycling was going to be in our city.

The person said, "That if George Bush doesnt turn it into F$^#@%# Nazism MAN!!!"

What an idiot.
Actually, the thread has been about how people who are shuttled about in limousines don't really count as "car-free." The fact that Giuliani is a heinous opportunist is just an entertaining aside. Please read the OP then the thread next time before responding.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeforums
Your rights end where another poster's feelings begin.
KrisPistofferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 05:09 PM   #11
MyBikeGotStolen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Bikes: Raleigh Glacier MTB/Commuter. Cannondale CAAD5, Windsor Timeline fixed gear
Posts: 765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That great!! He doesnt drive a car!! I'm sure he just rides around in 2 or 3 cars connected together called a limo. Yay, lets vote for him, hes car-free!!!
MyBikeGotStolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 05:17 PM   #12
Takara
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Giuliani administration decreased the car-free hours in Central Park and erected fences along sidewalks to keep pedestrians from crossing the street and inconveniencing auto traffic. Giuliani also manufactured a Metropolitan Transit Authority budget crisis that bumped bus and subway fares higher than was justified. New Yorkers surely do not remember that man as a friend to alternative transportation.
Takara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 05:44 PM   #13
Izengabe
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wasn't posting this to be political or to advocate voting for one person or another. I just think it is interesting that there is a serious major party candidate for President that has had experience living without owning or driving a car.

While I am sure all the major candidates running for President get chauffeured in private cars and limos, in Giuliani's private life (i.e. when he is not running for president) he does use mass transit, walks and does not drive.

I am not saying this will make him a better or worst President just that it is an interesting fact that there is one Presidential candidate who is not part of the car culture.
Izengabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 05:46 PM   #14
bac
Senior Member
 
bac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Pennsylvania
Bikes: Too many to list!
Posts: 7,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izengabe View Post
in Giuliani's private life (i.e. when he is not running for president) he does use mass transit, walks and does not drive.
Really?

... Brad
bac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 09:08 PM   #15
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 6,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izengabe View Post
Intersting tid bit. Rudy Giuliani is the only presidential candidate who doesn't drive or own a car.

Just thought it was kind of cool that he was the only person running for President who has lived a car free lifestyle.

Here is a story on it from The Nation:

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/campa...ers?pid=194837
I suspect that every president prior to W. Wilson was car free. I'm sure there were those in the 20th century that did not own a car either.
Dahon.Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 09:45 PM   #16
oakdale
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New York, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i would be willing to bet money that Guiliani hasn't taken mass transit in years, unless it is for a photo op. Also, that isn't an article about how Giuliani is living a car-free lifestyle, it's about how he gets driven around like all the other candidates, but at least he admits it.

Giuliani wouldn't be the first candidate by a longshot, even in the auto era. Mike Dukakis, when he was Governor of Massachusetts took the T to the state house every day.

Last edited by oakdale; 09-27-07 at 10:07 PM.
oakdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 10:05 PM   #17
sprintcarblue
dillyshotback
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: M&M@MN
Bikes: '02 Barcode, Le Tour IV, Hoffman E.P.
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
*Parody topic*

Hillary Clinton: The 1st penis free president
sprintcarblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-07, 11:01 AM   #18
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy
 
Cosmoline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Speeenard 'laska
Bikes:
Posts: 1,355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosmsgo View Post
Ah bicyclists......

They never cease to amaze me.

Mention a republicans name and watch the left wing nutjobs make an ass outta themselves.
This is the first time I've ever been called a "left wing nutjob."
Cosmoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-07, 11:50 AM   #19
adgrant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York, NY
Bikes: Still researching
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
The ******bag lives in NYC, of course he has no car. Hitler was a vegetarian like me, but it wouldn't make me vote for him.
Plenty of people living in Manhattan do have a car. Some have several.
adgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-07, 03:00 PM   #20
Takara
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post
Plenty of people living in Manhattan do have a car. Some have several.
Most don't. I miss New York.
Takara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-07, 09:04 PM   #21
gosmsgo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
9-11 but you know 9-11 and of course 9-11but then you take into account 9-11after that happens you get 9-11 leading inexorably to 9-11and therefore 9-11 I named my dog 9-11 after Curly Joe there was 9-11 even if 9-11 makes a plopping sound like 9-11.

The ******bag lives in NYC, of course he has no car. Hitler was a vegetarian like me, but it wouldn't make me vote for him.

Oh, and in other news:




Giuliani's '$9.11' Pitch Criticized By Dodd
Calls Fundraising Tactic `Shameless'

By DAVID LIGHTMAN | Washington Bureau Chief
September 26, 2007




WASHINGTON - Rudy Giuliani's supporters are trying to raise money by asking for $9.11 from contributors, a tactic U.S. Sen. Christopher Dodd's campaign Tuesday called "shameless and sickening."

Giuliani, a Republican candidate for president, was mayor of New York City at the time of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, and his stump speech is full of recollections about how he took charge and became known as "America's Mayor."

The Associated Press reported that the "$9.11 for Rudy" campaign is part of a fundraising event scheduled for today in Palo Alto, Calif., at the home of Abraham Sofaer.

Sofaer, a Republican donor who was a State Department official in the Reagan administration, said the $9.11 contribution was not his idea. "There are some young people who came up with it," he told the AP.

Giuliani campaign officials said the idea was selected without their knowledge.

"These are two volunteers who acted independently of and without the knowledge of the campaign," campaign spokeswoman Maria Comella told AP. "Their decision to ask individuals for that amount was an unfortunate choice."

According to the invitation, "$9.11 for Rudy" is an "independent, non-denominational grass-roots campaign to raise $10,000 in small increments to show how many individual, everyday Americans support 'America's Mayor.'"

The Dodd campaign was quick to protest.

"Exploiting the Sept. 11th attacks for fundraising purposes is absolutely unconscionable, shameless and sickening," spokesman Colleen Flanagan said. "Mr. Giuliani was quick to express much vitriol for the independent ad created by MoveOn.org last week [that criticizes Gen. David Petraeus]. We would hope he would express the same kind of outrage and indignation about this group that he is the beneficiary of."

Flanagan added, "Mr. Giuliani should reject and/or return any money raised and ask that their activities on his behalf stop immediately."

Contact David Lightman at dlightman@courant.com.

http://www.courant.com/news/custom/t...,1370826.story

It was the second poster that turned this thread into a cluster F%$^.

The OP was not saying to vote republican or even that he like Rudy. He was simply saying what he was saying.
gosmsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-07, 10:27 PM   #22
Platy
Dare to be weird!
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Austin TX
Bikes: Hybridized 1970s Coppi road bike; Townie city cruiser
Posts: 1,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quoting from the OP's link to the news story:

Mr. "I Don't Drive" has placed himself in the unenviable position of looking a little like George Herbert Walker Bush marveling at the scanner machine on the supermarket checkout line. In a nation of for-better-or-worse car commuters, he has no interest in getting around the way the masses do -- nor even in pretending to know where the gas nozzle goes.

Note that Giuliani's "I Don't Drive" comment provoked an immediate ad hominem attack. There's more where that came from, I'm sure. And, as we know, politics is all about ad hominem attacks.
Platy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-07, 08:12 AM   #23
adgrant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York, NY
Bikes: Still researching
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takara View Post
Most don't. I miss New York.
This is sort of true, at least in Manhattan. I think that over 50% of households in Manhattan don't own a car. Most families that do own only one and most of them use the car to get to their weekend home or job outside Manhattan not for driving around the island.
adgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-07, 11:28 AM   #24
gosmsgo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How could you afford one in manhatten.

I had a friend who claims that when he lived in manhatten he knew several people making over 150k a year who could not of gathered up $50.00 cash if their life depended on it.

Ive never been to NYC so I really have no idea.

I just know that I can live like a king (I think so) in mid missouri and only have to work half the time if I wanted.
gosmsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-07, 11:58 AM   #25
Takara
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Takara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:50 AM.