Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Living Car Free (http://www.bikeforums.net/living-car-free/)
-   -   Living Car Free/Car Lite Introductions (http://www.bikeforums.net/living-car-free/357256-living-car-free-car-lite-introductions.html)

noglider 10-07-13 05:30 PM

greatwhiteshark:

In car-bike accidents, the cyclist is at fault half the time. That means that if you are skilled and knowledgeable, you can reduce your risk of a car-bike accident by about 50%. Also, lots of bike accidents involve the bike and no other vehicle, i.e. they are the cyclist falling off the bike. Skill can reduce that by much more than 50%. I don't fall often, for example.

Sounds like your transportation department is highly ignorant and sees cyclists as nuisances. It's no wonder, if they think cyclists cause their own problems.

Sasquatch. 10-11-13 10:35 AM

I have been car free since 8/5/2013. I needed to do something to lose weight and get healthy. I tried everything in the past including gyms and diets, I always really enjoyed riding bikes but never rode for any reason other than fun. I bought a touring bike and have been hooked ever since. I sold my pickup and have been car free since August 5th. I have ridden over 2000 miles since then and lost almost 30 pounds. I knew the only way I would stick with it would be to force myself to ride by having no other option (selling the pickup). It turns out I love it and can't imagine going back. I commute a little over 40 miles round trip everyday and I will admit it isn't always easy especially on the mornings when it's pouring down rain. I have invested in good rain gear so it's not to bad.

I have experienced so much more than physical health benefits. My mind is sharper my memory seems better and I am generally just enjoying life more. I notice so much more when I am on my bike, I can smell the Blackberries when they are ripe and the hay when it's cut. The views are amazing and the time spent just thinking has really taught me a lot about who I am and who I desire to be.

I recently purchased a used Burley Nomad trailer to help with grocery getting challenges and other bulky items. It's great to see this thread and that I am not the only "freak" that has decided to go carless in this day and age. My hat is off to all of you that have made this life choice I understand the challenges involved but for me that is half the fun, everyday is a new potential adventure whether that be finding a good place to fix a flat or finding a new route to get home.

Roody 10-11-13 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasquatch. (Post 16152408)
I have been car free since 8/5/2013. I needed to do something to lose weight and get healthy. I tried everything in the past including gyms and diets, I always really enjoyed riding bikes but never rode for any reason other than fun. I bought a touring bike and have been hooked ever since. I sold my pickup and have been car free since August 5th. I have ridden over 2000 miles since then and lost almost 30 pounds. I knew the only way I would stick with it would be to force myself to ride by having no other option (selling the pickup). It turns out I love it and can't imagine going back. I commute a little over 40 miles round trip everyday and I will admit it isn't always easy especially on the mornings when it's pouring down rain. I have invested in good rain gear so it's not to bad.

I have experienced so much more than physical health benefits. My mind is sharper my memory seems better and I am generally just enjoying life more. I notice so much more when I am on my bike, I can smell the Blackberries when they are ripe and the hay when it's cut. The views are amazing and the time spent just thinking has really taught me a lot about who I am and who I desire to be.

I recently purchased a used Burley Nomad trailer to help with grocery getting challenges and other bulky items. It's great to see this thread and that I am not the only "freak" that has decided to go carless in this day and age. My hat is off to all of you that have made this life choice I understand the challenges involved but for me that is half the fun, everyday is a new potential adventure whether that be finding a good place to fix a flat or finding a new route to get home.

Welcome! I love your positive attitude.... Challenges and opportunities, not roadblocks and drawbacks.

GreatWhiteShark 10-14-13 02:42 PM

noglider,

I do not buy that 50% bicyclists fault for bicyclist accidents. Also does not take into account the quality of bicycling (and in some the same ways driving) conditions, like quality of roads, sidewalks (and availability) and Etc. I too would consider myself a skilled and knowledgeable bicyclist and automobile driver, I rarely fall, for my fault*, and etc..

I do not want to go into too much about the county I live in (I only speak to the county, only place I have bicycled in), but the geographical area within my state is the worse for bicyclist accidents and Etc. with The USA. I will just say that I have had: a police car sneak up, I barely heard it before it just got behind me and lay on its horn, had police motorcycles clog sidewalks, around a week old sidewalk repairs (for a four-way stop lighted intersection <sorry, for lack of better terms>) that does not provide away clear shoulder to the crosswalk, instead the opening to cross is right in middle of the first automobile, and what I mention about trying to get non-emergency police to take traffic laws that affect any form of transportation beyond automobiles and motorcycles serious is waste of time until something bad is threatening you or has already damaged you. On top of this the tests to get driver's license has to be a joke, when it comes to traffic laws addressing bicyclist, with so many honk and fuss at me, even for being just 1-ft. from the edge of roads, and unfortunately, more* .

*- Just last Thursday, with the conditions I bicycle under you have to stand up for yourself and argue and it can get very unfriendly, I had a father, children and woman (I assume was his wife and mother of the children) honked at me and drove by me within just a foot or so, I yelled at them about learn to drive and I think 3-ft. rule. Then the same car and ?Family? came from behind me again, but this time the woman reached out and pushed on me, yelling at me to move over (even for being just 1-ft. from the edge of roads; I am legally allowed to ride around damaged road parts <since doing so avoided more flat tires and damage to my bicycle> and do so on this road, before this the safest route I take). I did not fall and it did not really affect me at all, luckily. Again I yelled at them and she yelled back and gave them the bird. Keep in mind I am trying to get home, to eat dinner and before it starts to get dark. I think they only drove by a total of three or two-times, before the father pulled his automobile into the grass, on the side of the road, about 100-miles ahead of me, but only the second last time was when she reached out and pushed me and gave them the bird in two-passes, I believe. Avoiding the damage in the road I start riding in the middle of the lane, seeing the father up ahead and knowing the other lane is busy, I decided to ride past him, I had no picture of all this and would have to go through my cellphone to call police; was not even thinking of all this, has been a decade since having any trouble on this road. Wall, when I get next to the father he pushes me into the left lane. When I stop in the middle of the left lane, he is over me and when I get to standing position, he is repeatedly telling me, you were seriously giving my children the bird and do seriously want to get in a fight with me. I was not giving his kids the bird, even though I could see them in the back seat of their car; I could have said that to him. Like stopping and taking pictures and then calling the police and feeling the pain of badly skinned up knee and elbow and badly jammed wrists, luckily, before riding next to him, I just never thought of it. Even though I am not a fighter, peaceful person, another lucky thing is I did not get in a fight with him with my wrists. Continuing with the not thinking thing, the only thing I told the father, do you know how many people honk behind me. Wow, that was what I said. With the woman yelling at him not to do anything, the whole time traffic is stopped and not a single driver or passenger gets out to help. The father finally said get your bicycle out of traffic. As some automobiles just drive by like nothing happened; ONLY ONE PERSON (woman) did stop, in the middle of the right lane and asked me if I was alright, told her nothing is broken and complained (sp?) about lack of police caring and heard other automobiles behind her honking, so I apologized for holding her up and as she started to drive by thanks her for stopping and she said no problem and you are welcome. Of course, at this time the ?family? was long gone and so I got back on my bicycle and rode home, luckily only feeling a little bite of pain then.

I am thinking of getting- pads for my knees and elbows, glasses (person had stole the last one I had), a super small video camera for my helmet and put both police departments on speed dial in my cellphone; but really I could have been a lot smarter and pulled over to the right lane's grass, many yards away, taken the pictures (of the father and license plate), road across the lanes and wait on the grass, of the left lane. Well, live and learn




Quote:

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 16141178)
greatwhiteshark:

In car-bike accidents, the cyclist is at fault half the time. That means that if you are skilled and knowledgeable, you can reduce your risk of a car-bike accident by about 50%. Also, lots of bike accidents involve the bike and no other vehicle, i.e. they are the cyclist falling off the bike. Skill can reduce that by much more than 50%. I don't fall often, for example.

Sounds like your transportation department is highly ignorant and sees cyclists as nuisances. It's no wonder, if they think cyclists cause their own problems.


Ekdog 10-14-13 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatWhiteShark (Post 16160475)
noglider,

I do not buy that 50% bicyclists fault for bicyclist accidents. Also does not take into account the quality of bicycling (and in some the same ways driving) conditions, like quality of roads, sidewalks (and availability) and Etc. I too would consider myself a skilled and knowledgeable bicyclist and automobile driver, I rarely fall, for my fault*, and etc..

I do not want to go into too much about the county I live in (I only speak to the county, only place I have bicycled in), but the geographical area within my state is the worse for bicyclist accidents and Etc. with The USA. I will just say that I have had: a police car sneak up, I barely heard it before it just got behind me and lay on its horn, had police motorcycles clog sidewalks, around a week old sidewalk repairs (for a four-way stop lighted intersection <sorry, for lack of better terms>) that does not provide away clear shoulder to the crosswalk, instead the opening to cross is right in middle of the first automobile, and what I mention about trying to get non-emergency police to take traffic laws that affect any form of transportation beyond automobiles and motorcycles serious is waste of time until something bad is threatening you or has already damaged you. On top of this the tests to get driver's license has to be a joke, when it comes to traffic laws addressing bicyclist, with so many honk and fuss at me, even for being just 1-ft. from the edge of roads, and unfortunately, more* .

*- Just last Thursday, with the conditions I bicycle under you have to stand up for yourself and argue and it can get very unfriendly, I had a father, children and woman (I assume was his wife and mother of the children) honked at me and drove by me within just a foot or so, I yelled at them about learn to drive and I think 3-ft. rule. Then the same car and ?Family? came from behind me again, but this time the woman reached out and pushed on me, yelling at me to move over (even for being just 1-ft. from the edge of roads; I am legally allowed to ride around damaged road parts <since doing so avoided more flat tires and damage to my bicycle> and do so on this road, before this the safest route I take). I did not fall and it did not really affect me at all, luckily. Again I yelled at them and she yelled back and gave them the bird. Keep in mind I am trying to get home, to eat dinner and before it starts to get dark. I think they only drove by a total of three or two-times, before the father pulled his automobile into the grass, on the side of the road, about 100-miles ahead of me, but only the second last time was when she reached out and pushed me and gave them the bird in two-passes, I believe. Avoiding the damage in the road I start riding in the middle of the lane, seeing the father up ahead and knowing the other lane is busy, I decided to ride past him, I had no picture of all this and would have to go through my cellphone to call police; was not even thinking of all this, has been a decade since having any trouble on this road. Wall, when I get next to the father he pushes me into the left lane. When I stop in the middle of the left lane, he is over me and when I get to standing position, he is repeatedly telling me, you were seriously giving my children the bird and do seriously want to get in a fight with me. I was not giving his kids the bird, even though I could see them in the back seat of their car; I could have said that to him. Like stopping and taking pictures and then calling the police and feeling the pain of badly skinned up knee and elbow and badly jammed wrists, luckily, before riding next to him, I just never thought of it. Even though I am not a fighter, peaceful person, another lucky thing is I did not get in a fight with him with my wrists. Continuing with the not thinking thing, the only thing I told the father, do you know how many people honk behind me. Wow, that was what I said. With the woman yelling at him not to do anything, the whole time traffic is stopped and not a single driver or passenger gets out to help. The father finally said get your bicycle out of traffic. As some automobiles just drive by like nothing happened; ONLY ONE PERSON (woman) did stop, in the middle of the right lane and asked me if I was alright, told her nothing is broken and complained (sp?) about lack of police caring and heard other automobiles behind her honking, so I apologized for holding her up and as she started to drive by thanks her for stopping and she said no problem and you are welcome. Of course, at this time the ?family? was long gone and so I got back on my bicycle and rode home, luckily only feeling a little bite of pain then.

I am thinking of getting- pads for my knees and elbows, glasses (person had stole the last one I had), a super small video camera for my helmet and put both police departments on speed dial in my cellphone; but really I could have been a lot smarter and pulled over to the right lane's grass, many yards away, taken the pictures (of the father and license plate), road across the lanes and wait on the grass, of the left lane. Well, live and learn

Could you please stop posting in red? It's really hard on the eyes.

1989Pre 10-14-13 03:45 PM

Sasquatch,

2,000 miles is an incredible distance for someone just returning to bicycling! That's amazing! I really appreciate your description of how much you love bicycling. (It sounds like you invested in some good fenders, too). Keep on!

Paul



Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasquatch. (Post 16152408)
I have been car free since 8/5/2013. I needed to do something to lose weight and get healthy. I tried everything in the past including gyms and diets, I always really enjoyed riding bikes but never rode for any reason other than fun. I bought a touring bike and have been hooked ever since. I sold my pickup and have been car free since August 5th. I have ridden over 2000 miles since then and lost almost 30 pounds. I knew the only way I would stick with it would be to force myself to ride by having no other option (selling the pickup). It turns out I love it and can't imagine going back. I commute a little over 40 miles round trip everyday and I will admit it isn't always easy especially on the mornings when it's pouring down rain. I have invested in good rain gear so it's not to bad.

I have experienced so much more than physical health benefits. My mind is sharper my memory seems better and I am generally just enjoying life more. I notice so much more when I am on my bike, I can smell the Blackberries when they are ripe and the hay when it's cut. The views are amazing and the time spent just thinking has really taught me a lot about who I am and who I desire to be.

I recently purchased a used Burley Nomad trailer to help with grocery getting challenges and other bulky items. It's great to see this thread and that I am not the only "freak" that has decided to go carless in this day and age. My hat is off to all of you that have made this life choice I understand the challenges involved but for me that is half the fun, everyday is a new potential adventure whether that be finding a good place to fix a flat or finding a new route to get home.


BillyD 10-14-13 04:59 PM

Take it easy with the ankle-biting and name-calling please. :)

BillyD 10-14-13 05:00 PM

Yes, the red is annoying.

CbadRider 10-14-13 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 16160828)
Take it easy with the ankle-biting and name-calling please. :)

+1

I deleted some posts. If yours is missing it's because it violated the Harassment guidelines.

billnyc 10-15-13 06:45 PM

I've always been car free.

I-Like-To-Bike 10-15-13 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 16160835)
Yes, the red is annoying.

Isn't that the purpose?

Roody 10-15-13 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billnyc (Post 16163965)
I've always been car free.

Not too many people could say that. Welcome to LCF!

I-Like-To-Bike 10-16-13 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roody (Post 16164448)
Not too many people could say that. Welcome to LCF!

I think many people can say that, especially young (mostly) people who have always lived with parents or with other adults who have cars, or live in a city with very good public transit, especially NYC. I would guess there could be many college graduates who always commuted by public transit to a nearby college and/or were taken to/from a distant campus by parents.

The need for an individual's own car often doesn't seem as urgent when transportation needs are met by the use of someone else's vehicle.

Brannigan 10-24-13 11:02 PM

I have been a bike commuter on/off since '88. Havent driven for years. The recent birth of my son motivated me to get my car and I legal for emergencies only. So, I remain car light by choice.

Roody 10-25-13 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brannigan (Post 16190536)
I have been a bike commuter on/off since '88. Havent driven for years. The recent birth of my son motivated me to get my car and I legal for emergencies only. So, I remain car light by choice.

Well, be extra careful if you do have to drive.

Brannigan 10-25-13 07:09 AM

Of course. :) I am an extremely experienced and foul-weather trained driver too. The baby is in good hands.

Adventure_Man 11-28-13 09:18 AM

I have no license and I can't drive thus I never had any need for a vehicle. But I do cut grass for a living working with my da and I know for sure I will need a license and vehicle to continue earning a living this way. At the moment I use my bike for all the A to B stuff like doing the shopping, going to the barbers or visiting people etc and I know for sure I will carry on this way when I start driving.

Artkansas 11-28-13 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adventure_Man (Post 16285828)
I have no license and I can't drive thus I never had any need for a vehicle. But I do cut grass for a living working with my da and I know for sure I will need a license and vehicle to continue earning a living this way. At the moment I use my bike for all the A to B stuff like doing the shopping, going to the barbers or visiting people etc and I know for sure I will carry on this way when I start driving.

Bikes At Work W series trailers are made wide and heavy duty enough for things like mowers.

Bikes At Work

Adventure_Man 11-28-13 11:29 AM

I cut grass as far away as 30mile from home, I cut on average 70 lawns a week and I also carry hedge trimmers, trestles and planks. My work is impossible to do with a bike and trailer.

I consider myself very lucky to be introduced to work at a very young age and that I've had full time work since I left school. As much as I love cycling I also love my work and I enjoy the comfort of a financially stable life as much as I appreciate it. For you to suggest I should carry out my work by means of bicycle and trailer was not just your ignorance but also your parochial attitude telling me and as many others as possible on how you think the world should be.

noglider 11-28-13 11:50 AM

That reminds me of the segment aired on Portlandia where a couple arrive at a woman's home. She has hired them to move house for her, and all they have is a tandem bike and a trailer. It takes them days or weeks.

A bicycle is amazingly versatile and can do more things than many people think, but it can't do everything, certainly not cost effectively.

Adventure_Man 11-28-13 12:48 PM

I see what you're saying and yes a bike is amazingly versatile and can do more things than many people think. Although I can't say for sure what it would it take for me personally to be amazed by how versatile a bicycle is I can assure you i'm yet to be amazed by a bikes versatility. I have 300customers who get their lawn cut at least once a month and some like it cut once a fortnight in the summer months. I'm not saying I would even consider doing it by bike if it were possible. I'm simply saying it is impossible for me to my job if my means of transport is a bicycle.

Ekdog 11-28-13 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adventure_Man (Post 16286338)
I'm simply saying it is impossible for me to my job if my means of transport is a bicycle.

What if you had a pedal-assisted trike?

http://electricbikereport.com/truck-...-oregon-video/

gerv 11-28-13 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adventure_Man (Post 16286338)
I'm simply saying it is impossible for me to my job if my means of transport is a bicycle.

Many of us have been in the same situation. But don't despair. ...

Instead think about doing what you can by bicycle or walking. Ride to the grocery store, the pub... whatever.

Perhaps at some future point in your life, you'll be able to coast into your workplace on a nice new bike... :)

Adventure_Man 11-29-13 09:48 AM

You're being ridiculous.

Adventure_Man 11-29-13 09:52 AM

You're also being ridiculous.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:11 AM.