Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

View Poll Results: How long have you been car light or car free?

Voters
939. You may not vote on this poll
  • Car light less than 1 year

    151 16.08%
  • Car free less than 1 year

    90 9.58%
  • Car light less than 5 years

    129 13.74%
  • Car free less than 5 years

    106 11.29%
  • Car light more than 5 years

    74 7.88%
  • Car free more than 5 years

    197 20.98%
  • Contemplating a car light or car free change

    170 18.10%
  • Not interested in becoming car light or car free

    22 2.34%
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728
Results 676 to 687 of 687
  1. #676
    Senior Member DiamondDave247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    My Bikes
    2011 GT Avalanche
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bwoodroaster View Post
    Hi Everyone...I look forward to being part of the discussion. Thanks to everyone who have given us so much info already!
    Welcome to the car-free/car-lite lifestyle and welcome to the forum! You may find, as I have, that many of us here share many of the same daily experiences and challenges. I liked your words:

    Quote Originally Posted by bwoodroaster View Post
    ...Everything has been much more of an adventure to be enjoyed together...
    I share the same attitude! When I face a new "adventure", I simply ask myself, what would my ancestors have done about 100 years ago, before motorized vehicles were so common? Okay then, let's do this! It often turns out the task was not quite as difficult as I had imagined it would be.

    You will find the bike forum to be a very valuable resource in many different areas. Good luck and ride safe!
    2011 GT Avalanche 1.0 Hyd Disc ~ 2008 GT Avalanche 1.0 Hyd Disc ~ 1997 GT Ricochet ~ 1993 Lotus Pro Series 3000M

  2. #677
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,802
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bwoodroaster View Post
    Hi Everyone, my family and I just recently went car free in St. Louis, Missouri. My wife and I both work from home and the kids school's are close, so it made it easy to take the leap when the transmission in our car died. One thing I have noticed during the first month, even after looking for a potential replacement car, we just have not felt the urge to buy one. Where we are located in St. Louis is a semi suburban area, but within 5 miles from everything we need or want, including car rentals and public transportation. We live what I would call a fairly luxurious minimal lifestyle, so really any of the so-called issues of not owning a car have been just First World Problems. What has been funny, is that I have commuted via bike at various times in my life, sometimes as much as 30 miles round trip, yet never really thought I could go car free. Now that we are, it has been very good for our family. Everything has been much more of an adventure to be enjoyed together.

    Anyway, I look forward to being part of the discussion. Thanks to everyone who have given us so much info already!
    Welcome to LCF!


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  3. #678
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Amish Country, PA
    My Bikes
    Surly Troll
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been reading the CFL sub-forum for a few months now, and have recently moved to a much more car-lite existence. My girlfriend and I moved in together about 2 months ago. She has not owned a car for about 18 months, and was biking or walking to work before we got together. Now, she uses my car 6 days a week while I cycle to work & home M-F. This is working for us because I feel physically & mentally better with each consecutive day that I ride, while she just feels more run down if she has to ride/walk, mostly because of joint pain and working in a fast paced food service job. My commute is about 4 miles each way, daylight both ways this time of year, to a mechanical trade job where it doesn't matter if I'm dirty/sweaty. I also work with few guys who love cycling, one who goes on the local club rides and another who toured cross country, so I have more in common with some coworkers now. I've been loving this recent change. I get my daily serving of alone time on the bike each day, get some exercise, and feel more connected to the natural world around me because I'm out in the elements rain or shine, feeling the surface of the road and the weather with my whole self. Thanks to the many contributers here in LCF who have helped get me psyched up to see this as 100% adventure! ~scroungetech

  4. #679
    Senior Member metro2005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spijkenisse, Netherlands
    My Bikes
    Optima Dingo, Mango velomobile
    Posts
    115
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ashamed to say that i went from car-free to car lite again. The weather was killing me! rain, rain, hard wind and more rain. Arriving at the office soaking wet every day is not my idea of a good start of the day So i bought a small and cheap car that i now use when its raining really hard. I dont think i really like the idea of owning a car again but getting wet daily isnt fun either. Especially when i have to ride my bike or scooter 2 hours a day .

  5. #680
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone. I've been car free for about 3 years now. (That's of my normal adult life, I also didn't have a car in college but that was very common for my campus.) I live in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
    I work 2 jobs--one is about a 1.5 mile bus ride/walk from my house. The other is in the next town over but there's an express bus between the two that's easy to use.
    I mostly get around by bus, or take lyft/uber in the occasions that I need to carry heavy groceries or something. I've been thinking of getting a bike, but there aren't good bike lanes here and I fear for my safety.

    I'm from New York and never got my driver's license. It took me a while to get around to obtaining the license, and I kept saying I would get a car as soon as I had it. But then I thought...you know what, I've been doing this for a year already and it's saved me a lot of money, and I've learned how to survive without a car. So I decided to stay carfree!

    The hardest part about it isn't even the logistics of getting around. It's the fact that I seem to be the only carfree person in the city. Seriously, until recently I didn't know anyone else without a car. It would be possible for a lot more people to do it but it hasn't caught on. Everyone thinks it's SUPER weird that I don't have a car. That's why I went looking for a forum, hoping I could get a bit of confirmation that I'm not insane, haha.

  6. #681
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,802
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmac11 View Post
    Hi everyone. I've been car free for about 3 years now. (That's of my normal adult life, I also didn't have a car in college but that was very common for my campus.) I live in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
    I work 2 jobs--one is about a 1.5 mile bus ride/walk from my house. The other is in the next town over but there's an express bus between the two that's easy to use.
    I mostly get around by bus, or take lyft/uber in the occasions that I need to carry heavy groceries or something. I've been thinking of getting a bike, but there aren't good bike lanes here and I fear for my safety.

    I'm from New York and never got my driver's license. It took me a while to get around to obtaining the license, and I kept saying I would get a car as soon as I had it. But then I thought...you know what, I've been doing this for a year already and it's saved me a lot of money, and I've learned how to survive without a car. So I decided to stay carfree!

    The hardest part about it isn't even the logistics of getting around. It's the fact that I seem to be the only carfree person in the city. Seriously, until recently I didn't know anyone else without a car. It would be possible for a lot more people to do it but it hasn't caught on. Everyone thinks it's SUPER weird that I don't have a car. That's why I went looking for a forum, hoping I could get a bit of confirmation that I'm not insane, haha.
    Welcome to the forum! I bet we can talk you into trying a bike. They really aren't more dangerous than walking, and about three to four times faster, even at an easy pace. The start-up cost for bicycling can be surprisingly low.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  7. #682
    rhm
    rhm is offline
    multimodal commuter rhm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NJ, NYC, LI
    My Bikes
    1940s Fothergill, 1948 Raleigh Record Ace, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1972 Fuji Finest, 1983 Trek 720, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...
    Posts
    12,716
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was always car free until I got married (over 20 years ago). After that my wife and I shared a car. But in the last ten years I started lobbying for our present car to be our last car; and though I never won this argument my wife gradually began to think of the car as hers, rather than ours. In the last five years, the car has been replaced twice; but it is now in her name alone. We pool our expenses, including the car, but in general I drive it only for family purposes.

    When the situation calls for a second car, I rent one. Maybe twice a year.

  8. #683
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings all. I'm car free and have been since I left my parent's house nearly 20 years ago. I'm afraid there isn't any deeper meaning behind this than I've always lived in cities/towns with decent buses and in a country with a phenomenal, if somewhat tardy, rail network so never saw the point - doubly so now that the internet has made it easier to get everything I need, and many things I don't but want anyway delivered to my front door. It annoys my mother and my children but they have legs so they can walk a mile to the shops without it killin' 'em.

  9. #684
    In the right lane gerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Posts
    9,290
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by learnincurve View Post
    Greetings all. I'm car free and have been since I left my parent's house nearly 20 years ago. I'm afraid there isn't any deeper meaning behind this than I've always lived in cities/towns with decent buses and in a country with a phenomenal, if somewhat tardy, rail network so never saw the point - doubly so now that the internet has made it easier to get everything I need, and many things I don't but want anyway delivered to my front door. It annoys my mother and my children but they have legs so they can walk a mile to the shops without it killin' 'em.
    Welcome to the forum. Are you a cyclist or mainly a transit carfree person? Great to hear from people who have been carfree a long time!

  10. #685
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    My Bikes
    Hybrid Nishiki. Nothing spectacular.
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never owned a car or a drivers license. But a little while ago I had to move out get a job and be self reliant. So I went out and bought a bike. Despite everyone being like "Well I support your decision" while thinking "Everyone is supposed to get a car. It's what adults do". And all I ever see is cars sucking up my friends money. Making payments on it, insurance, and something always breaking on it and requiring fixing. And don't forget gas. With the money I make I couldn't afford it. When people start to realize all the money I save they take it more seriously and not as a joke.

  11. #686
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,802
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InGrained View Post
    Never owned a car or a drivers license. But a little while ago I had to move out get a job and be self reliant. So I went out and bought a bike. Despite everyone being like "Well I support your decision" while thinking "Everyone is supposed to get a car. It's what adults do". And all I ever see is cars sucking up my friends money. Making payments on it, insurance, and something always breaking on it and requiring fixing. And don't forget gas. With the money I make I couldn't afford it. When people start to realize all the money I save they take it more seriously and not as a joke.
    Welcome to the forum! I also enjoyed your posts on the Simple Living thread.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  12. #687
    Senior Member Ekdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seville, Spain
    My Bikes
    Brompton M6R and mountain bikes equipped for touring.
    Posts
    3,356
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InGrained View Post
    Never owned a car or a drivers license. But a little while ago I had to move out get a job and be self reliant. So I went out and bought a bike. Despite everyone being like "Well I support your decision" while thinking "Everyone is supposed to get a car. It's what adults do". And all I ever see is cars sucking up my friends money. Making payments on it, insurance, and something always breaking on it and requiring fixing. And don't forget gas. With the money I make I couldn't afford it. When people start to realize all the money I save they take it more seriously and not as a joke.
    When I was in high school, way back when , my grandfather, who raised me, said he wouldn't let me get my drivers license if I didn't shape up. When I said I didn't really want a license, me told me it was time to grow up, and made me get the license.
    Smug, bicycle-riding, car-bashing, public transport-using zealot.

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •