I am currently writing a report for a grade 12 Anthropology, Sociology and Psychology course one the effects that the diminishing oil supply will have on our society. One of the aspects I am focusing on is the use of petroleum as a means of transportation. I am trying to get some first hand insight into why people go car free or light. Personally I am 98% car free, and I know standard reasons why one should go car free, but I am looking for the particular reasons why YOU went car free.
Basically what I am looking for is the following,
1. What was the greatest factor that made you decide to go car free/light?
2. Were there any other contributing factors that encouraged you to go car free/light (if so, please state)?
3. What was the greatest obstacle preventing you from becoming car free/light?
4. What response have others had towards your choice (positive and/or negative)
5. In your opinion, why is cycling, as a mode of transportation, still so uncommon in the face of a serious energy crisis.
You many answer all or any of these questions If there is interest I can post the final report that this information will contribute to here after it is done.
Thank you very much, your help is greatly appreciated.