Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-14, 04:09 PM   #26
enigmaT120
Senior Member
 
enigmaT120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Falls City, OR
Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93
Posts: 1,884
These guys (their trails, anyway) are only a couple of miles away from me, but I don't do what they do and don't know any of them. I should at least go down their easy trail some time, after pedaling all the way to the top of course.

Blackrock Mountain Bike Association

I pretty much just ride around on the logging roads past the locked gates that say "No motorized vehicles beyond this point."
enigmaT120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 10:59 PM   #27
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerv View Post
Glad to see you are involved as a volunteer. Volunteering is very much part of bicycle culture. We all like to work together to make things a little better.

Plus it's a great way to make real friends.
Thanks, but I dont do as much as I feel I should. I don't particularly enjoy volunteer work, so I kind of force myself. Its easy to come up with excuses, but one valid one is that I work in the evening, when these groups usually have their meetings and events.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 10:53 AM   #28
enigmaT120
Senior Member
 
enigmaT120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Falls City, OR
Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93
Posts: 1,884
Uh, meetings. Most of the meetings I go to (church board, watershed council and local small woodland owners' board of directors) are in locations that make bicycling those days not worth it to me or are at times that I can't make it there in time, without driving.

The president of our woodlands chapter is an avid bicyclist though. He invented this:

About Havel Designs

It would block my headlight, though.
enigmaT120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 03:21 PM   #29
cooker
Prefers Cicero
 
cooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others
Posts: 10,185
Since this thread started, I've noticed a steady increase in the number of cyclists in town and at work. In fact our CEO is a roadie and she sometimes bike commutes.
cooker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 07:57 PM   #30
gerv 
In the right lane
Thread Starter
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed
Posts: 9,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
Thanks, but I dont do as much as I feel I should. I don't particularly enjoy volunteer work, so I kind of force myself. Its easy to come up with excuses, but one valid one is that I work in the evening, when these groups usually have their meetings and events.
My experience early on is similar to yours. I was not having a particularly interesting time. In fact sometimes it was really counter to my own philosophy. However, something in me kept saying, "Stick with this. Don't give up."

I did and eventually all the negative forces seemed to vanish. Over time. And I eventually met a number of people who became close friends.

To be honest, a lot of what happened is that I became a little more outgoing and discovered that some of the negativity on other's parts was really just shyness or fear.
gerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 07:59 PM   #31
gerv 
In the right lane
Thread Starter
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed
Posts: 9,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
Since this thread started, I've noticed a steady increase in the number of cyclists in town and at work. In fact our CEO is a roadie and she sometimes bike commutes.
That's the power of the Zombie thread!!
gerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 05:59 PM   #32
Walter S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Decatur, GA. USA
Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker
Posts: 2,678
I'm right across the hall from another cycling enthusiast. And in a company of hundreds, we're the only regular cyclists. But he never commutes. I'm the only one doing that.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-14, 08:12 PM   #33
pumabicycle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 81
I get asked about bikes and riding everyday, at least a ten times a day by all manners of people and all kinds of questions; what kind of bike is that, what kind of bike should I get, is that seat comfortable, is riding dangerous,et cetera?

I think people are envious and want that feeling of freedom, I'm not sure they actually recognize what it is that they're attracted to but they know they like it. They want to be in shape again too. But somehow their mind is anchored to the car and this sedentary lifestyle.

Nearly all of my good friends lives also revolve around cycling but we still manage to talk about varied topics. People I don't know always seem to want to discuss bikes with me so I end of talking about bikes a lot.
pumabicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-14, 08:40 PM   #34
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumabicycle View Post
I get asked about bikes and riding everyday, at least a ten times a day by all manners of people and all kinds of questions; what kind of bike is that, what kind of bike should I get, is that seat comfortable, is riding dangerous,et cetera?
Wow that sure is something! Are these strangers coming up to you on the street with their questions? Or are they your acquaintances asking you these questions day after day? Is there something special about you or your bicycle to make so many people so curious? Are you the only bicyclist in your locale?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-14, 09:26 PM   #35
pumabicycle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 81
Strangers, business customers, cops, casual acquaintances, lots of different types of people really. I'm not sure there's anything special about me maybe other than I'm in incredible shape and tend to be very friendly to every person I come across. In my youth I worked as a bartender in a very stressful environment where people basically hated me before they even knew me, that experience taught me a lot about people, how to really hit it off with anyone. I can make even the most surly people smile so lots of people end up talking to me all the time.

I have two bikes; a $200 beater Schwinn from Target and a fully restored 1983 Puch. I ride the Schwinn about 40 miles a day, five days a week. I read that my city has the lowest per capita bicycle commuter rate of any place in the USA. I attribute this to people thinking "it's too hot" or uncomfortable to deal with. They want to ride but environmental factors and whatever is going on in their head limits them.

There's lots of cyclists, I suppose that they get asked too.
pumabicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 12:39 AM   #36
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumabicycle View Post
Strangers, business customers, cops, casual acquaintances, lots of different types of people really. I'm not sure there's anything special about me maybe other than I'm in incredible shape and tend to be very friendly to every person I come across. In my youth I worked as a bartender in a very stressful environment where people basically hated me before they even knew me, that experience taught me a lot about people, how to really hit it off with anyone. I can make even the most surly people smile so lots of people end up talking to me all the time.

I have two bikes; a $200 beater Schwinn from Target and a fully restored 1983 Puch. I ride the Schwinn about 40 miles a day, five days a week. I read that my city has the lowest per capita bicycle commuter rate of any place in the USA. I attribute this to people thinking "it's too hot" or uncomfortable to deal with. They want to ride but environmental factors and whatever is going on in their head limits them.

There's lots of cyclists, I suppose that they get asked too.
I get asked a lot of questions too, from both acquaintances and total strangers. I also ask a lot of questions, for example if I see somebody riding an unusual bike or using some interesting gear. I learn a lot here on BF, but the advantage of asking people I see is that they can give me information that's customized to the local area.

I bet you are a friendly person and people feel comfortable approaching you with comments and questions. I imagine somebody with a generally sour and cynical outlook wouldn't be approached as much by other people.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 02:33 AM   #37
kookaburra1701
Senior Member
 
kookaburra1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8
Posts: 1,345
I used to get asked lots of questions and have total strangers come up to shoot the breeze with me, but it's gnat and mosquito season now. Mostly I just get funny looks, what with my bug net and all.
kookaburra1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 09:00 AM   #38
mustridebikes
Senior Member
 
mustridebikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wilmington, NC
Bikes: Novara Randonee
Posts: 83
I'm the only regular bike commuter at work, and that's been the case at the past several companies as well. My solution to the inevitable "why do you ride a bike to work?" questions has been humor. Currently on the bulletin board outside my office:

Attached Images
File Type: gif bike commuter.gif (84.9 KB, 12 views)
mustridebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:26 PM.