Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1
    In the right lane gerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Posts
    9,088
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bicycling culture

    I work as a contractor, so I get to move work locations frequently. On my current gig, I was surprised to notice that quite a few people in my area are cycling enthusiasts. At least three of them ride to work regularly. Another left recently for her first Ragbrai ride. Yet another commutes infrequently. The company itself seems to have some cyclists in upper management, with great facilities for biking to work.

    The net result is that quite a bit of water cooler type conversation seems to revolve around bikes -- repairs, Tour de France, local events. No one ever bats an eye when I show up with my panniers. Nor are there any inquisitions about why I choose to ride a bike.

    I've never run into this before.

    Have you ever worked with a group of cyclists?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least two other people in my department bike to work part of the time. Several others in different departments also bike to work at least part time. There are inside and outside bike racks for employees. People also talk about recreational riding now and then. Biking is fairly in Madison.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    559
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could work in an place where there are other cyclists. Usually what happens for me is that one or two co-workers observe me and give cycling to work a try. Right now I have one woman who will ride her bike to work every once in a while.

    Gas, .69 cents the price of a can of beans

  4. #4
    gwd
    gwd is offline
    Biker gwd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    DC
    My Bikes
    one Recumbent and one Utility Bike
    Posts
    1,917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4/16 at my place are care free but we don't often chit-chat about bikes or car free. I guess we aren't enthusiastic enough.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Lamplight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    2,732
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely don't work with cyclists. In fact, aside from my brother, the only people I know personally who are "enthusiast" are the guys at the bike shop.

  6. #6
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    26,106
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This city has a strong cycling culture... we just reached the 1% ridership level for commuters and I read that 25,000 people commute by bicycle on a daily basis.

    I work as a mechanic / facilitator in our community shop that is operated by our commuter's society which has been working on behalf of cyclists here for nearly 30 years.

    You would have to say I am immersed in things.

  7. #7
    me ride bike good
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    outside Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300
    Posts
    462
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a coworker that bikes, and we share part of our commute route. There are a couple others at the building I am in, but I do not know them, and they are not full daily riders.

    The amount of bike and commuter traffic is on the rise as well.

  8. #8
    vegan powered
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Chico, Ca
    Posts
    385
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are cyclists at my work but they mostly ride because they cant afford cars.

  9. #9
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,243
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50% of the people at my office ride to work.

    The other guy drives an SUV.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  10. #10
    bragi bragi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    LHT
    Posts
    2,833
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work with 30 other people or so, and only one other person rides a bike to work, but not every day. My co-workers do not give me a hard time for riding to work, though. In fact, most have expressed their approval of my choice. A few have asked me detailed questions about car-free life (as if it required special knowledge), but none have acted on it so far.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

  11. #11
    Senior Member bats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    Vitus 992
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I started my new job as an intern at my city's DOT Bicycle & Pedestrian Planning Department, but I only have met one other person who commutes by bike! No wonder this city is so backwards.

  12. #12
    Senior Member coldfeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerv View Post
    I work as a contractor, so I get to move work locations frequently. On my current gig, I was surprised to notice that quite a few people in my area are cycling enthusiasts. At least three of them ride to work regularly. Another left recently for her first Ragbrai ride. Yet another commutes infrequently. The company itself seems to have some cyclists in upper management, with great facilities for biking to work.

    The net result is that quite a bit of water cooler type conversation seems to revolve around bikes -- repairs, Tour de France, local events. No one ever bats an eye when I show up with my panniers. Nor are there any inquisitions about why I choose to ride a bike.

    I've never run into this before.

    Have you ever worked with a group of cyclists?
    Man, we really need a green-faced icon.

    In answer to your question, no. Although on fine days, the amount of bike commuters is getting high enough to cause a little bit of congestion on the MUP.

  13. #13
    RacingBear UmneyDurak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    8,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite a lot of people commute by bicycle or public transit. Then again it's downtown San Jose (Bay Area). So nothing really special.
    Quote Originally Posted by gerv View Post
    I work as a contractor, so I get to move work locations frequently. On my current gig, I was surprised to notice that quite a few people in my area are cycling enthusiasts. At least three of them ride to work regularly. Another left recently for her first Ragbrai ride. Yet another commutes infrequently. The company itself seems to have some cyclists in upper management, with great facilities for biking to work.

    The net result is that quite a bit of water cooler type conversation seems to revolve around bikes -- repairs, Tour de France, local events. No one ever bats an eye when I show up with my panniers. Nor are there any inquisitions about why I choose to ride a bike.

    I've never run into this before.

    Have you ever worked with a group of cyclists?
    I see hills.... Bring them on!!!
    Stay calm and bring a towel.

  14. #14
    One legged rider
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Moraga, CA
    My Bikes
    Kuota Kharma, Surly LHT, CAAD9, Bianchi fg/ss
    Posts
    1,389
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My company is full of cyclists, who bring their bikes to work with them and do lunch rides and rides after work. The corporation even has a cycling club. But interestingly enough, very very few commute to work on bikes. Most drive in with the bikes strapped to the roof. I think it is mostly a distance thing. Most folks live 30-40 miles away and there is little public transportation that is convienient.

  15. #15
    In the right lane gerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Posts
    9,088
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One good thing about having a group of commuting/carfree cyclists in an organization is that they can build momentum to a degree. For example, at my current location, a popular cyclist with a radio show, spoke in the auditorium on commuting and other issues. That was a remarkable change in culture from my last work site, where all the feedback I ever got was a lot of remarks like "you must be crazy to bike to work on a day this cold."

  16. #16
    Senior Member hosehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    128
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerv View Post
    One good thing about having a group of commuting/carfree cyclists in an organization is that they can build momentum to a degree. For example, at my current location, a popular cyclist with a radio show, spoke in the auditorium on commuting and other issues. That was a remarkable change in culture from my last work site, where all the feedback I ever got was a lot of remarks like "you must be crazy to bike to work on a day this cold."
    Where I work they'd tell me I'm crazy to ride the bus (instead of biking).

  17. #17
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    38,757
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerv View Post
    I work as a contractor, so I get to move work locations frequently. On my current gig, I was surprised to notice that quite a few people in my area are cycling enthusiasts. At least three of them ride to work regularly. Another left recently for her first Ragbrai ride. Yet another commutes infrequently. The company itself seems to have some cyclists in upper management, with great facilities for biking to work.

    The net result is that quite a bit of water cooler type conversation seems to revolve around bikes -- repairs, Tour de France, local events. No one ever bats an eye when I show up with my panniers. Nor are there any inquisitions about why I choose to ride a bike.

    I've never run into this before.

    Have you ever worked with a group of cyclists?

    Most places I've worked have had a few cyclists.

    The place I worked before my current job had a small group who were quite actively into cycling and other endurance sports. They did triathlons, paddle, bike, run events, and of course, lots of cycling events.


    And the place I work now is also quite active, with several people who cycle ... and there is some talk about the TDF and other cycling events.

    In fact, there are so many people who are active and watching what they eat etc. that it's embarrassing to eat anything that isn't a healthy food choice ... and if we haven't been the gym or been cycling or something active in an evening, I feel like I'm letting the side down.

  18. #18
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,494
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerv View Post
    Have you ever worked with a group of cyclists?
    I enjoyed a few Critical Mass rides but my work schedule conflicted. They were mostly younger riders, and I enjoyed their company and their enthusiasm about cycling in the city.

    I'm involved with a statewide bicycle advocacy group. After years of mainly sponsoring road rides and races, they now do a lot more stuff with transportation cycling. They got a law passed recently that greatly increases penalties for motorists who hit a cyclist or walker with their cars. They also got the state to legalize right turn signals with the right hand, and they're setting up a program to educate police and judges about cyclists' issues.

    I briefly volunteered with a guy who taught kids and homeless people how to repair bikes, then gave them bikes when they passed the course. Unfortunately he got sick before I really got involved, and has now passed away.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  19. #19
    Senior Member kookaburra1701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8
    Posts
    1,339
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The city I live in was just ranked 2nd or 3rd (I can't remember, but it was just behind Davis, CA) as the city with the highest % of cyclecommuters. The place I work has massive bike racks, but finding a spot to chain up can still be tricky.
    2014 Specialized Dolce, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

  20. #20
    Senior Member duckbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Waterloo, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Marinoni X4
    Posts
    407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=gerv;7140791
    Have you ever worked with a group of cyclists?[/QUOTE]

    Sadly I live in a Car centric Region where the cities in which I commute claim to be bicycle friendly but all that has been done is some paint on some sections of the road. Our bike lanes are mostly incomplete, in fact we may have the world's shortest bike lane. Community pathways are constantly clogged with joggers and dog walkers making cycle travel there difficult and some what dangerous. Best choice is to stay on the road with the cars. The culture at work is typical with all the employees driving to work. Two people smoke and two others are noticeably over weight. The area is ingrained with drive through restaurants, coffee shops etc. so the driver does not have to leave their car. I m unable to share any bicycle related topics with anyone except of coarse right here and a few friends outside of work.

  21. #21
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,494
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by duckbill View Post
    Sadly I live in a Car centric Region where the cities in which I commute claim to be bicycle friendly but all that has been done is some paint on some sections of the road. Our bike lanes are mostly incomplete, in fact we may have the world's shortest bike lane. Community pathways are constantly clogged with joggers and dog walkers making cycle travel there difficult and some what dangerous. Best choice is to stay on the road with the cars. The culture at work is typical with all the employees driving to work. Two people smoke and two others are noticeably over weight. The area is ingrained with drive through restaurants, coffee shops etc. so the driver does not have to leave their car. I m unable to share any bicycle related topics with anyone except of coarse right here and a few friends outside of work.
    I know. Thank goodness for bikeforums.net!!! It's my main connection to bike culture also.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  22. #22
    Human most of the time
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work for a high technology manufacturer near Toledo, Ohio. We have a gym, showers and a bike rack with over 1000 employees and I'm the only real bike commuter. Co-workers think riding is great but way to much hassle.

  23. #23
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    630
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Retired summer part time gig at the Bike shop, where I see touring riders from around the world ..

  24. #24
    In the right lane gerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Posts
    9,088
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    I enjoyed a few Critical Mass rides but my work schedule conflicted. They were mostly younger riders, and I enjoyed their company and their enthusiasm about cycling in the city.

    I'm involved with a statewide bicycle advocacy group. After years of mainly sponsoring road rides and races, they now do a lot more stuff with transportation cycling. They got a law passed recently that greatly increases penalties for motorists who hit a cyclist or walker with their cars. They also got the state to legalize right turn signals with the right hand, and they're setting up a program to educate police and judges about cyclists' issues.

    I briefly volunteered with a guy who taught kids and homeless people how to repair bikes, then gave them bikes when they passed the course. Unfortunately he got sick before I really got involved, and has now passed away.
    Glad to see you are involved as a volunteer. Volunteering is very much part of bicycle culture. We all like to work together to make things a little better.

    Plus it's a great way to make real friends.

  25. #25
    Fixed Kitty wipekitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People at my place of employment (a university) don't think it's strange that I bike to work. They do think it's strange that I bike to work year round.

    In my office, there are three walkers, one good weather cyclist, and me (out of 13 people); this is probably a higher than average rate of car-light/car-free commuting. Across the campus, I notice a good number of employees riding in during the warmer months, but the bikes disappear around November and return sometime in April or May. There's another woman who rides all winter; there might be a guy, too.

    More generally, bike culture in this area is wonderful in the summer - plenty of people commute, and there's also great road biking/mountain biking/trail riding, but it disappears during the 6-7 months of snow and cold. Year round riding isn't mainstream here...yet.
    "There are no fast bikes - only fast people." - Some smart person

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •