Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-02-14, 01:39 AM   #51
Smallwheels
Senior Member
 
Smallwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: I'm in Hollywood California again.
Bikes: Xootr scooter
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm using the same two computers I was using when this thread was created. One is a 2008 Mac Book. It is mostly idle these days. The other is a 2009 HP desktop running GNU. I hate Windoz and purged it from the HP in 2013 because it kept crashing. I bought a flip phone for my new business. I don't intend to use it very often. Mostly I'll use Skype for all of my outgoing calls.

Technology has helped me to sell many items via the internet. It helps me to shop and to learn the value of things I want to sell.
Smallwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 03:51 AM   #52
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,727
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post
I'm using the same two computers I was using when this thread was created. One is a 2008 Mac Book. It is mostly idle these days. The other is a 2009 HP desktop running GNU. I hate Windoz and purged it from the HP in 2013 because it kept crashing. I bought a flip phone for my new business. I don't intend to use it very often. Mostly I'll use Skype for all of my outgoing calls.

Technology has helped me to sell many items via the internet. It helps me to shop and to learn the value of things I want to sell.
I haven't used a computer in 18 months, except for work. Just my iPad. I don't make many phone calls or write many emails either. I keep in touch more with text and video messaging.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 04:05 AM   #53
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 46,662
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
I haven't used a computer in 18 months, except for work. Just my iPad. I don't make many phone calls or write many emails either. I keep in touch more with text and video messaging.
And how does that help you live car light?
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 05:47 AM   #54
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,727
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
And how does that help you live car light?
It probably doesn't. Why do you ask?
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 05:51 AM   #55
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 46,662
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
It probably doesn't. Why do you ask?
That's the topic of this thread. Using technology to live lite ... especially car light.

We can all talk about what technology we have or don't have in our homes ... but how does that technology assist a car-free or car-light lifestyle?


I gave the examples of the candy thermometer and house hunting in Post 38.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 12:51 PM   #56
cooker
Prefers Cicero
 
cooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others
Posts: 10,970
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
In terms of living lighter, I carry much less work-related stuff on my bike, or in a briefcase on the transit system, than I used to. I always have some backlogged "paperwork" that somebody is rightly nagging me to complete, but it's all available to work on remotely, and stuff I want or need to read for work is mostly electronic now too. If I'm on the transit I may review stuff on a tablet, or check emails on my phone, etc. I don't bother with a briefcase most days - maybe just a plastic bag for my tablet if it might rain.

When I travel out of town for work I take a laptop, as I need the physical keyboard to be productive. But again, any documents or reference texts I might need to refer to are either copied to the laptop or available remotely.

I have a transit app on my phone but it hasn't made too much difference, as I commute on fairly frequently served routes
cooker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 03:47 AM   #57
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 46,662
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
Instead of flying to the UK or New Zealand to pick up cycling stuff, we order online, and our stuff is shipped to us, along with shipments from many other people. Yes, there is still an airplane involved, and yes, there is still a delivery van involved, but it is potentially less flying and driving than would be involved in going to get the stuff individually.
And we're sitting here surrounded by a collection of new cycling stuff.

But in addition to that, we're in the process of acquiring new bicycles, and have been doing that via email. We will eventually have to turn up in person, but it's great that we can communicate so quickly and easily.

Another example ... we want new handlebar bags. We would like a particular one but couldn't find it on the website ... a few quick messages with people in the know, and we now know that handlebar bag is not available anymore. A few more messages, and we've got a list of places to check when we arrive in Canada for alternatives.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 07:12 AM   #58
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 46,662
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Another place where technology comes in handy is with the library. From the comfort of home, I can search for books, put them on hold, and renew books I have out. I do have to go to the library from time to time to get and return the books, and I can quite easily walk to do that, but if a book comes due and for some reason I can't make it to the library just then, I can deal with the situation in a matter of minutes online.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 11:44 PM   #59
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,727
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
Another place where technology comes in handy is with the library. From the comfort of home, I can search for books, put them on hold, and renew books I have out. I do have to go to the library from time to time to get and return the books, and I can quite easily walk to do that, but if a book comes due and for some reason I can't make it to the library just then, I can deal with the situation in a matter of minutes online.
I just get e-books from the library now. I dont even have to leave my house to get the books. I can carry hundreds of books in a tablet thats lighter than one paperback. I can have an unlimited number of books if I store them with a cloud service.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 02:26 AM   #60
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 46,662
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
I just get e-books from the library now. I dont even have to leave my house to get the books. I can carry hundreds of books in a tablet thats lighter than one paperback. I can have an unlimited number of books if I store them with a cloud service.
I like real books.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 07:59 AM   #61
cooker
Prefers Cicero
 
cooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others
Posts: 10,970
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
I guess the bicycle itself is a good example of technology helping you live light. Don't need a horse and carriage to go anywhere.
cooker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 10:06 AM   #62
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 24,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
I like real books.
I am currently reading three real books.
I am listening to The Redbreast by Jo NesbÝ on my mp3 player while I ride;
I am reading on my Kindle at home Misguided Weapons: Technological Failure and Surprise on the Battlefield by Azriel Lorber
I am reading in hardback at home The Devil's Candy by Julie Salamon.

Next up for plane travel is The Executioners (AKA Cape Fear) by John D MacDonald. I have it in both Kindle and paperback format and will read it whichever real format is convenient.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 12:26 PM   #63
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,727
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
I like real books.
So do I. But I read a lot, and carrying around a ton of books, magazines and newspapers is something I can do without.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 05:42 PM   #64
Smallwheels
Senior Member
 
Smallwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: I'm in Hollywood California again.
Bikes: Xootr scooter
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
So do I. But I read a lot, and carrying around a ton of books, magazines and newspapers is something I can do without.
Last month I learned about a tablet sold on Newegg. It runs Android and has a micro SD card slot for storing more data. This appeals to me because it doesn't limit me to just 16 or 32 gigabytes. It also has a stylus for drawing. The only downside is the screen isn't as great as the Nexus 7 by Google. Recently I learned how wonderful AMOLED screens are compared to LCD backlit displays. It seems nobody makes the tablet that I want to buy, yet.

Reading on a screen would be so much better than holding a book. Turning pages is easier and the text always stays flat instead of curving around the form of the book. If a tablet has good color for photos and illustrations then it would seem to me to be a better way to experience content, especially if I could keep a whole library on one device.
Smallwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 05:47 PM   #65
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 46,662
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
I guess the bicycle itself is a good example of technology helping you live light. Don't need a horse and carriage to go anywhere.
Yes!
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 11:36 PM   #66
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,727
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post
Last month I learned about a tablet sold on Newegg. It runs Android and has a micro SD card slot for storing more data. This appeals to me because it doesn't limit me to just 16 or 32 gigabytes. It also has a stylus for drawing. The only downside is the screen isn't as great as the Nexus 7 by Google. Recently I learned how wonderful AMOLED screens are compared to LCD backlit displays. It seems nobody makes the tablet that I want to buy, yet.

Reading on a screen would be so much better than holding a book. Turning pages is easier and the text always stays flat instead of curving around the form of the book. If a tablet has good color for photos and illustrations then it would seem to me to be a better way to experience content, especially if I could keep a whole library on one device.
yeah, another good thing about tablets is that they adapt to your eyesight as you get older! They can also be read in the dark, which is something I need to do sometimes. The display on an ipad is much clearer than displays on most monitors for laptops and deskyops.

My iPad died today. So I'm back to the old fashioned technology until I can get it fixed.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 12:58 AM   #67
Ekdog
Senior Member
 
Ekdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seville, Spain
Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
Posts: 4,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
yeah, another good thing about tablets is that they adapt to your eyesight as you get older! They can also be read in the dark, which is something I need to do sometimes. The display on an ipad is much clearer than displays on most monitors for laptops and deskyops.

My iPad died today. So I'm back to the old fashioned technology until I can get it fixed.
I love my Kindle Paper White. It has allowed me to get rid of dozens of books that were cluttering up our flat, and the reading experience is great.
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 08:59 AM   #68
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 24,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
I love my Kindle Paper White. It has allowed me to get rid of dozens of books that were cluttering up our flat, and the reading experience is great.
I bought a Kindle Paper White for my wife. She loves it and reads 2 or 3 real books on it every week. All the books on it are free from the library.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 09:02 AM   #69
Ekdog
Senior Member
 
Ekdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seville, Spain
Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
Posts: 4,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
I bought a Kindle Paper White for my wife. She loves it and reads 2 or 3 real books on it every week. All the books on it are free from the library.
Refurbished ones can be had, today only, at a bargain basement price:

You Can Buy a Kindle Paperwhite Today For Just $85

Last edited by Ekdog; 07-15-14 at 09:05 AM.
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 12:44 PM   #70
Smallwheels
Senior Member
 
Smallwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: I'm in Hollywood California again.
Bikes: Xootr scooter
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
My iPad died today. So I'm back to the old fashioned technology until I can get it fixed.
I'm very interested to know why it died. When you learn the cause please post the reason here.
Smallwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 04:12 PM   #71
enigmaT120
Senior Member
 
enigmaT120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Falls City, OR
Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93
Posts: 1,905
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I get books from the library, and have an ap called DroidTV that I can use to download TV shows. I have about 25 gig of music on the tablet, too. I mostly use it when riding the bus after my bike commute to the bus yard. The tablet is a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 from Costco, wifi only.
enigmaT120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 05:22 PM   #72
gerv 
In the right lane
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed
Posts: 9,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I use an Android phone to read. I use it to read on the bus or anywhere I have to wait. I rarely read at home these days... except for a paper edition of the New Yorker.

I have the Kindle app on the phone and have downloaded a few titles. Like others, I find the backlit display a big help for my ailing eyesight...

My big problem with the phone is that I spend most of my time on Facebook or other online diversions. I don't have a data plan, but I always seem to find a wifi and there's no end to the amusement on FB.
gerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 05:56 PM   #73
ro-monster
Senior Member
 
ro-monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bay Area, California
Bikes: Pacific Reach, Specialized Myka Expert
Posts: 791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If things like this matter to you, you might want to do some research about Amazon before you buy a Kindle. They are notorious for abusive treatment of their warehouse workers. I won't buy anything from them because I think it's unethical to support those practices.
ro-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 10:54 PM   #74
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,727
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post
I'm very interested to know why it died. When you learn the cause please post the reason here.
It won't charge. I'm guessing it's the battery. I'll try to remember to let you know when I find out for sure.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 08:15 AM   #75
tandempower
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 2,027
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post
I like the idea of the portable electronic book like the ones in the Filament book club or the Kindle by Amazon. The problem I have with them is they don't have all the features I want. I want color pictures so that book covers and illustrations can be shown. It needs to be capable of showing and switching to multiple fonts and sizes. It should be able to read multiple formats and accept the input of personal files from my computer. If it had video capabilities and a small keyboard that would be great. Having the ability to change memory cards would be a good feature for those who store plenty of video. Personally I probably wouldn't keep video on it. I don't keep much video on my computer now.
Kindle's e-ink is a huge advance for outdoor computing because the screen gets brighter with sunlight instead of getting relatively dimmer and reflecting a glare. Unfortunately, Kindle has this policy of limiting browser capability to prevent kids from using it for surfing the web instead of reading. While I can understand the need to prevent kids from abusing electronic media, I wish Kindle would allow adults to unlock full browser capability so that we could use these things for outdoor computing.
tandempower is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:29 AM.