Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Banned. folder fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Anti Social Media-Land
    Posts
    3,076
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bicycle Rush Hour in Copenhagen


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXw_t...ayer_embedded#!

    Enjoy after your own hectic day.

  2. #2
    Bike addict, dreamer AdamDZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, New York
    My Bikes
    Surly Disc trucker (DIY), Fuji Reveal 1.0 (DIY MTB), Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    5,161
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, I said that before when seeing a video like this: if this was in USA there would be a pileup 20 feet high within 60 seconds It's amazing how they flow smoothly without any conflicts. And no helmets! Surely, the number of fatal accidents must be really high

  3. #3
    In the right lane gerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Posts
    9,078
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the way some of them do a left turn at a light. Very cool.

  4. #4
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,435
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerv View Post
    I like the way some of them do a left turn at a light. Very cool.
    And it drives the bike safety experts here in the states crazy!


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  5. #5
    Bike addict, dreamer AdamDZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, New York
    My Bikes
    Surly Disc trucker (DIY), Fuji Reveal 1.0 (DIY MTB), Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    5,161
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing that bugs me: many wear no headwear at all in Winter, my ears would fall off

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was lovely, appropriate music and editing.
    Thank you so much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  7. #7
    In the right lane gerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Posts
    9,078
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamDZ View Post
    One thing that bugs me: many wear no headwear at all in Winter, my ears would fall off
    Average high in January and February is about 36F. That's not too different from New York, right? Maybe a tad cooler. Probably that Viking blood.

  8. #8
    Senior Member SunnyFlorida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Eating oranges of course!
    My Bikes
    Sun Miami Trike - 2007
    Posts
    563
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it was the subdued music or the weather or the fact that they sped it up in parts even though the music didn't match the speed of the frames but it was freaking depressing to watch.

    I do like the large lane devoted to cyclists. However, it just reminded me of a different type of rush hour and rush hour (whether you're walking, driving or riding) is not necessarily pleasant, just bearable for most.
    Last edited by SunnyFlorida; 09-24-10 at 03:42 PM.

  9. #9
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,435
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyFlorida View Post
    Maybe it was the subdued music or the weather or the fact that they sped it up in parts even though the music didn't match the speed of the frames but it was freaking depressing to watch.

    I do like the large lane devoted to cyclists. However, it just reminded me of a different type of rush hour and rush hour (whether you're walking, driving or riding) is not necessarily pleasant, just bearable for most.
    But rush hour with bikes is bound to be more pleasant, since you can actually communicate with your fellow commuters.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  10. #10
    Bike addict, dreamer AdamDZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, New York
    My Bikes
    Surly Disc trucker (DIY), Fuji Reveal 1.0 (DIY MTB), Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    5,161
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerv View Post
    Average high in January and February is about 36F. That's not too different from New York, right? Maybe a tad cooler. Probably that Viking blood.
    Yup, it has to be the Viking blood because I wear a skullcap below 45F And a balaclava when it's freezing. Although, NYC has sometimes high humidity and winds that make the cold weather all that more miserable.

  11. #11
    Bike addict, dreamer AdamDZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, New York
    My Bikes
    Surly Disc trucker (DIY), Fuji Reveal 1.0 (DIY MTB), Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    5,161
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    But rush hour with bikes is bound to be more pleasant, since you can actually communicate with your fellow commuters.
    I communicate with my fellow commuters:

    - Wrong way!
    - F**k you!
    - You too!

  12. #12
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,435
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamDZ View Post
    I communicate with my fellow commuters:

    - Wrong way!
    - F**k you!
    - You too!
    One thing that makes bikes more humanizing is that you're communicating with a human being that you can clearly see, hear, even touch. That's not the case with cars, except maybe convertibles.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  13. #13
    In the right lane gerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Posts
    9,078
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm constantly amazed by the volume of bike traffic in these type videos, but I do note:

    1. Denmark and Holland have been building up capability for more than a generation. When the bike boom petered in North America, the Danish and Dutch governments were trying to wean their economies off fossil fuel.

    2. There's some serious government support for this activity. This is only just starting in the US, with several cities having commuter mayors and the Feds have Ray LaHood as the Transportation secretary. We see things like tax breaks in Holland for buying a commuter bike. We see more and more bike infrastructure being added in both Holland and Denmark. The US is really way behind.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •