Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Member Incoherentfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Sold my car today.

    The buyer just drove away $4000 poorer and in possession of a machine I hope to never own again. I actually feel sorry for him! But his loss is my gain I suppose. Now my sights are set on a Big Dummy and a whole world of bike adventures await!

    I've been car-light for the last six months or so, only using my car for heavy hauls or long trips maybe once or twice a month, and those can be done with a Big Dummy or a rental car. I also have a BOB trailer that I use for grocery runs. In November I realized that with a little bit of effort I could go all out and be completely car-free, so I resolved to sell the car. Today I finally did it. Yay for me!

  2. #2
    Ride More seedsbelize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mérida, Yucatán, México
    My Bikes
    '78 Schwinn World Sports, '93 Giant Prodigy, '84 Schwinn Letour Luxe, '87 Schwinn Prelude(2), 91 Giant Yukon, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5 unicrown.
    Posts
    1,675
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay for you!

  3. #3
    alleged person Pobble.808's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lost in Space
    My Bikes
    1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH
    Posts
    425
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done -- I'm envious!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay!

  5. #5
    Senior Member zeppinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Seoul, South Korea
    My Bikes
    Giant FCR3, Surly LHT
    Posts
    1,948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I sold my 97 Nissan Sentra, it was to a young brand new driver who was headed off to college. His dad helped him make the purchase and they did a lot of inspection, test drives, and even took it to his mechanic to look at. Everything was clean, and he bought it despite being for significantly more money than he originally wanted to spend. I think I remember the price being $3,500. Two weeks later he calls me and says the check engine light has come on and asks for advice. I think he was fishing for me to offer to fix it for him. I told him that check engine lights will be the most common problem with any small engined Japanese car of that age. That and CV boots. Then I added, "Welcome to the wonderful world of car ownership!" I am glad I got out of that racket!

  6. #6
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    15,864
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet!

    Unfortunately I am going in the other direction

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  7. #7
    Riding twobadfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro
    Posts
    1,603
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome. I have two cars and am getting closer and closer to getting rid of them both and buying something smaller.

    The trick is convincing the wife!

  8. #8
    Member Incoherentfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppinger View Post
    When I sold my 97 Nissan Sentra, it was to a young brand new driver who was headed off to college. His dad helped him make the purchase and they did a lot of inspection, test drives, and even took it to his mechanic to look at. Everything was clean, and he bought it despite being for significantly more money than he originally wanted to spend. I think I remember the price being $3,500. Two weeks later he calls me and says the check engine light has come on and asks for advice. I think he was fishing for me to offer to fix it for him. I told him that check engine lights will be the most common problem with any small engined Japanese car of that age. That and CV boots. Then I added, "Welcome to the wonderful world of car ownership!" I am glad I got out of that racket!
    That's one reason I got rid of my car. It was starting to get to the age where I was going to need to take it to the mechanic once a month. And I've never been one to fix my own car. I can fix anything on a bike though.

  9. #9
    sniffin' glue zoltani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road
    Posts
    3,183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! I got 4 grand for my car when I sold it too, and if I hadn't I wouldn't have been able to make the move to a new city at the time.

    In what area do you live?
    Those who are easily shocked should be shocked more often.

  10. #10
    Member Incoherentfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zoltani View Post
    In what area do you live?
    Los Angeles. It helps that my work isn't too far from where I live and almost everything I need is close to home.

  11. #11
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    19,678
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good going! It sounds like you're well prepared for the transition and you have a good attitude about it. I'm sure you'll do very well.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    wa
    Posts
    405
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you will love that big dummy. Congrats on making the leap.
    "harder" is not a very good safeword.

  13. #13
    Fat Guy Rolling dcrowell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Louisville Kentucky
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy
    Posts
    2,438
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm envious too.
    Car-Free IT Geek
    My blog: fatguy.org

    Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, 1980s Raleigh Record single-speed conversion, Bacchetta Agio

  14. #14
    Senior Member heywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Whitby, Ontario Canada
    My Bikes
    2009 Trek 520
    Posts
    347
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you... you're going to have other problems but the biggest one MONEY, will be a lot less. I rent when I need a car, I find Enterprise to be the best, it's also nice driving a new car and then dropping it off when you're finished with it instead of having that albatross sit in your driveway...Do the math too about every month or so and see what you're saving without the car, that always puts a big smile on my face

  15. #15
    Member Incoherentfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    Good for you... you're going to have other problems but the biggest one MONEY, will be a lot less. I rent when I need a car, I find Enterprise to be the best, it's also nice driving a new car and then dropping it off when you're finished with it instead of having that albatross sit in your driveway...Do the math too about every month or so and see what you're saving without the car, that always puts a big smile on my face
    I did a back of the envelope calculation based on the time I owned the car. Considering everything from the cost of the car itself (minus the price I sold it for), insurance, gas, maintenance, and lost interest (since my money was tied up with the car rather than in a bank account) it cost me about $10 a day, or $0.35 per mile to own. And that's probably a lot lower than most people since I only drove it about 9500 miles a year on average. Anyway, $10 a day is serious money. That's enough to cover all my food costs.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppinger View Post
    When I sold my 97 Nissan Sentra, it was to a young brand new driver who was headed off to college. His dad helped him make the purchase and they did a lot of inspection, test drives, and even took it to his mechanic to look at. Everything was clean, and he bought it despite being for significantly more money than he originally wanted to spend. I think I remember the price being $3,500. Two weeks later he calls me and says the check engine light has come on and asks for advice. I think he was fishing for me to offer to fix it for him. I told him that check engine lights will be the most common problem with any small engined Japanese car of that age. That and CV boots. Then I added, "Welcome to the wonderful world of car ownership!" I am glad I got out of that racket!
    Those "Check Engine" lights are expensive to fix! I was at Sears auto repair and just happened to wander into the repair shop and overheard the cashier tell the driver the bill totaled over $600.00 because they had to fix the check engine light. The owner had no expression at all! I would have felt sick to my stomach if someone told me that but I guess motorist become used to paying high auto bills.

    One thing about a car is you can never tell when it's going to have a problem. In the winter, the cold weather and ripped up streets cause all kinds of issues. You really have to to know how to fix many of them on an older vehicle or it will become a money pit quick.

    I guess the young guy though he bought a bargain at $3,500 only to find out two weeks later the real cost was $4,000.00! Next year the cost will be more like $4,500.00 and the year after that will be even more. It never ends.
    Last edited by Dahon.Steve; 01-17-11 at 02:52 PM.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Incoherentfool View Post
    The buyer just drove away $4000 poorer and in possession of a machine I hope to never own again. I actually feel sorry for him! But his loss is my gain I suppose. Now my sights are set on a Big Dummy and a whole world of bike adventures await!

    I've been car-light for the last six months or so, only using my car for heavy hauls or long trips maybe once or twice a month, and those can be done with a Big Dummy or a rental car. I also have a BOB trailer that I use for grocery runs. In November I realized that with a little bit of effort I could go all out and be completely car-free, so I resolved to sell the car. Today I finally did it. Yay for me!
    I think this forum is creating more carfree individuals than any website on the net. Almost every month we have a "Sold my Car" thread so the message is getting out. I see searches on Google directing people to this site all the time on the carfree movement which is good news.

    I'm sure GM is not happy with what is going on here and you can see they sponsor this forum with the hope of getting us to buy their overpriced electric Volt. The beauty of being carfree is that we no longer need a combustion or electric engine for our daily needs.

  18. #18
    Bike addict, dreamer AdamDZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, New York
    My Bikes
    Surly Disc trucker (DIY), Fuji Reveal 1.0 (DIY MTB), Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    5,161
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve View Post
    I'm sure GM is not happy with what is going on here and you can see they sponsor this forum with the hope of getting us to buy their overpriced electric Volt. The beauty of being carfree is that we no longer need a combustion or electric engine for our daily needs.
    GM isn't sponsoring this site. These are "context sensitive" Google Ads. The Google bot sees something like "I freaking hate cars, cars suck! I wish all cars disappeared from Earth, cars are evil", so it happily serves car related ads. The BF admins should look into new Google AdSense interface it allows for far greater control over what categories of ads are being served, including Automotive category. I had Ford SUV ads all over my cycling blog and forum, no more. I also eliminated all the bul**** health improvement, weight loss and work at home ads.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •