Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-12, 12:54 AM   #1
ubringliten
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ubringliten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oakland, CA
Bikes: 2010 Wabi Lightning, 2014 Brompton S2L-X
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A grade-school girl with a broken leg rides her bike without a helmet! (video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ZfD0sHWUGv4

Hi there,

I just want to share this wonderful video. Like the title said, what a sweet video! These kids will grow up very well-adjusted.

Happy Cycling!
ubringliten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 10:55 AM   #2
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've done that, ride my bike to and from school with a cast on my foot and no helmet.

It's not the most efficient way to pedal, unless the doctor makes the cast clipless.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 11:14 AM   #3
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 12:55 PM   #4
cooker
Prefers Cicero
 
cooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others
Posts: 10,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
They're riding in a pretty tame environment, compared to us.
cooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 01:45 PM   #5
ubringliten
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ubringliten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oakland, CA
Bikes: 2010 Wabi Lightning, 2014 Brompton S2L-X
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry, my message was unclear. I meant a girl at that age being that independent even with a broken leg rides her bike to school. Without helmet was just an added bonus to the whole thing. You don't see that here in the US. If I had a daughter, she would be it.
ubringliten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 06:07 PM   #6
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 6,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I think that was the Netherlands if I'm not correct. I'm sorry but there is plenty of public transit options in the Netherlands. A broken leg is very serious and needs time to heal. No reason to take risks especially with an abundance of public transit options. She's too young to realize that another fall could mean permanent damage to the bone.
Dahon.Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 07:05 PM   #7
gerv 
In the right lane
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed
Posts: 9,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve View Post
I think that was the Netherlands if I'm not correct. I'm sorry but there is plenty of public transit options in the Netherlands. A broken leg is very serious and needs time to heal. No reason to take risks especially with an abundance of public transit options. She's too young to realize that another fall could mean permanent damage to the bone.
This really ring true to me. I don't know how this works for a 9-year-old, but for a 58-year-old, it's so true. I just broke 4 ribs in yet another encounter with a car (my second accident in 10 months...).

The doctor said healed in 6 weeks and after 3 weeks I'm still in no mood to ride a bicycle. Too painful.

I thank my stars that I'm situated on the best bus route in town. Bus every 15 minutes and I've obtained a good monthly pass. If it wan't for public transit as a backup, I have no idea how I'd get to work.

That's why you'll frequently hear me recommend to newbies that they think thru a good Plan B for their transportation.
gerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 07:34 PM   #8
B. Carfree
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 6,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve View Post
I think that was the Netherlands if I'm not correct. I'm sorry but there is plenty of public transit options in the Netherlands. A broken leg is very serious and needs time to heal. No reason to take risks especially with an abundance of public transit options. She's too young to realize that another fall could mean permanent damage to the bone.
First of all, the odds of a fall from a bike are ridiculously low, probably lower than the odds of mis-stepping off the bus/trolley and being re-injured. Secondly, consider the speed at which this kid is likely riding. She isn't adding much more energy to her unlikely fall than she would be by walking. Also, did you notice that she was walking on that cast? Just think of her bike as a wheelchair without the training wheels.

It's really not that big a deal to ride with a broken bone or two. I was riding within days of having my then-42-year-old leg screwed back together with the full blessing of my surgeon. We heal and exercise helps the healing process.
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 08:04 PM   #9
DX-MAN
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, at the risk of being told, "Wow, you're bragging about doing what a 9-y-o GIRL can do? REALLY?", I'm going to relate to this.

Dec. 2009, during really icy conditions, I stubbornly decided to ride to work. Halfway there, I rolled over a large patch of glare ice, which cuase my rear wheel to slide out. I put a foot down to catch it, before I landed HARD on the ice.

SNAP! Heard it and felt it -- my left ankle, on the inner anklebone. The bone broke, and immediately went back in place, like a small wood split. Amid much pain and cursing, I slowly pedaled the rest of the way to work. Couldn't work, though, wound up at the VA for x-rays (to all appearances, negative -- I SAW them later!). Given a straplike brace, told to pop pain pills and go easy for about 10 weeks(!).

I missed 3 days of riding. After 7 weeks and NO improvement, I went back, argued for and got another x-ray; since the radiologist wasn't in that morning, I was sent back home with the 'assurance' that I'd be called if anything showed up.

Five minutes in the house, I was answering the phone. There was indeed a break, and there was an aircast waiting at the VA for me, could I please return and get it ASAP. Five more weeks.... I still rode every day, and put the cast on at work!

I'm not trying to minimize what this tough little girl did, I'd be a PROUD DAD; I did what I did in the barely bike-friendly USA, though.

This isn't the first time I wished I was in the Netherlands, simply so I could witness casual dismissal of things that would 'bedride' the average American!
DX-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 10:50 AM   #10
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve View Post
I think that was the Netherlands if I'm not correct. I'm sorry but there is plenty of public transit options in the Netherlands. A broken leg is very serious and needs time to heal. No reason to take risks especially with an abundance of public transit options. She's too young to realize that another fall could mean permanent damage to the bone.
I don't know. I had a broken wrist that required surgery. I asked the doctor (afunny guy with a great Brooklyn accent) if I could ride while the cast was still on. He said "Riding the bike is not the issue; falling off the bike is the problem." When I pressed him, he added, "Go ahead and ride your bike. Try not to fall, but if you do fall try to land on the other side so you don't mess up the great work I did on your wrist."

__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 01:47 PM   #11
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I was riding to school and back with the cast on, the biggest problem was that the cast was significantly wider than a foot and so the rubber pad on the bottom tended to perch just on the outer part of the pedal.

As far as falling, well, the foot is already protected by a pretty hard cast, its not likely that one is going to forget they have the cast on and try to do any thing much beyond some pretty mild pedaling.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 08:46 PM   #12
gerv 
In the right lane
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed
Posts: 9,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
When I pressed him, he added, "Go ahead and ride your bike. Try not to fall, but if you do fall try to land on the other side so you don't mess up the great work I did on your wrist."
I'm sort of picturing this and it isn't looking good. I'd be tempted to be really cautious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
As far as falling, well, the foot is already protected by a pretty hard cast, its not likely that one is going to forget they have the cast on and try to do any thing much beyond some pretty mild pedaling.
You'd hope so. I'd jbet even a small amount of mashing would be really painful.
gerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 02:02 PM   #13
Sir Lunch-a-lot
Senior Member
 
Sir Lunch-a-lot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Saskatchewan
Bikes: Customized Sekine
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerv View Post
You'd hope so. I'd jbet even a small amount of mashing would be really painful.
Not that I would do this myself (I'd be taking a more cautious route), but you could always take off the pedal on the side where your leg is broken and pedal strictly with your good leg (like this one legged rider I saw in the city the other day).
Sir Lunch-a-lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 10:28 PM   #14
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerv View Post
I'm sort of picturing this and it isn't looking good. I'd be tempted to be really cautious.

You'd hope so. I'd bet even a small amount of mashing would be really painful.
Its no different that walking with a cast on; easier really. For the first week or two you might want to go easy, but once you get a walking cast like the girl had, as it's healing the exercise is a good thing. You want blood circulation. As I recall, at first I put the crutches in my Wald baskets on the other side from my books, later I didn't need the crutches.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 04-13-12 at 10:33 PM.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-12, 02:02 AM   #15
ubringliten
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ubringliten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oakland, CA
Bikes: 2010 Wabi Lightning, 2014 Brompton S2L-X
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You guys are hilarious. Are you guys even parents? I posted the thread on the level of safety and independence of children in Netherlands. Parents in the US would never ever let a "9 year old" girl ride a bike to school let alone with a broken leg. The US parents would coddle the child to death.
ubringliten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-12, 05:31 AM   #16
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
I posted the thread on the level of safety and independence of children in Netherlands. Parents in the US would never ever let a "9 year old" girl ride a bike to school let alone with a broken leg. The US parents would coddle the child to death.
I have to agree with you. In the video it's obvious that the girl has a walking cast, so her foot is past the worst and the danger from exercising it is minimal and indeed, exercise will help the bones knit. So as the apparently only one who rode to school with a cast during childhood, to me what she is doing seems perfectly natural. And no I am not a parent, nor have I ever been one.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-12, 05:41 AM   #17
wahoonc
Senior Member
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
Posts: 16,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
I have to agree with you. In the video it's obvious that the girl has a walking cast, so her foot is past the worst and the danger from exercising it is minimal and indeed, exercise will help the bones knit. So as the apparently only one who rode to school with a cast during childhood, to me what she is doing seems perfectly natural. And no I am not a parent, nor have I ever been one.
I rode to school with a broken arm...broke it stunt riding my brother's bike

I am a parent and have let my two do quite a few things that brought me visits from the meddlers at social services.

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-12, 10:16 AM   #18
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
You guys are hilarious. Are you guys even parents? I posted the thread on the level of safety and independence of children in Netherlands. Parents in the US would never ever let a "9 year old" girl ride a bike to school let alone with a broken leg. The US parents would coddle the child to death.
True, American parents do coddle a bit. but also the roads here are usually not very safe for kids to ride in any more.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-12, 10:55 AM   #19
kookaburra1701
Senior Member
 
kookaburra1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8
Posts: 1,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I rode to school with a broken arm...broke it stunt riding my brother's bike

I am a parent and have let my two do quite a few things that brought me visits from the meddlers at social services.

Aaron
I think I broke my right foot in the third grade - a horse stepped on it, and I could feel/hear the snap-crackle-pop. It swelled up (fortunately I was in lace-up boots so we didn't have to cut them off) and my toes were all at funny angles. My dad looked at it, and basically told me I had two options - he would take me to the doctor, and I would get shots and likely be in a cast for "months" and be unable to ride or run or do anything fun. Or he could wrap it up really good, give me some ice and ibuprofen, and I could do whatever I felt capable of doing, and besides, "Let's face it kid, you are never going to be the next Flo Jo." I chose the second option.

My right foot is still slightly out-of-true, but perfectly serviceable.

Then again, this was the same man who used a mixture of gin and Everclear to "cure" any dental ailment under the sun.

Now I work in an ER, and the things people bring their children (and themselves) for boggles my mind.
kookaburra1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-12, 05:03 PM   #20
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookaburra1701 View Post
I think I broke my right foot in the third grade - a horse stepped on it, and I could feel/hear the snap-crackle-pop. It swelled up (fortunately I was in lace-up boots so we didn't have to cut them off) and my toes were all at funny angles. My dad looked at it, and basically told me I had two options - he would take me to the doctor, and I would get shots and likely be in a cast for "months" and be unable to ride or run or do anything fun. Or he could wrap it up really good, give me some ice and ibuprofen, and I could do whatever I felt capable of doing, and besides, "Let's face it kid, you are never going to be the next Flo Jo." I chose the second option.

My right foot is still slightly out-of-true, but perfectly serviceable.

Then again, this was the same man who used a mixture of gin and Everclear to "cure" any dental ailment under the sun.

Now I work in an ER, and the things people bring their children (and themselves) for boggles my mind.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 05:04 PM   #21
Drew Eckhardt
Senior Member
 
Drew Eckhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sunnyvale, CA USA
Bikes:
Posts: 5,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
It's really not that big a deal to ride with a broken bone or two. I was riding within days of having my then-42-year-old leg screwed back together with the full blessing of my surgeon. We heal and exercise helps the healing process.
My surgeon (chief of the Stanford Orthopedic Trauma Service) said indoors only for six weeks after by last operation.
Drew Eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 09:22 PM   #22
alhedges
Senior Member
 
alhedges's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Naptown
Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R
Posts: 1,133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
It's really not that big a deal to ride with a broken bone or two. I was riding within days of having my then-42-year-old leg screwed back together with the full blessing of my surgeon. We heal and exercise helps the healing process.
It really depends on the kind of break - some you can hobble around on almost immediately; others require weeks of no weight at all.
alhedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:00 AM.