Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: CarLoanPal

  1. #1
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,264
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    CarLoanPal

    Just saw a commercial from a company named CarLoanPal.com. First they show a guy in a car who is rejected by a woman because his car isn't nice enough.

    Then they show a woman riding a 10 speed who asks the question "You think I like riding this thing to work?".

    It's good to know car-free living is respected.

    Of course, I have to consider the source.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  2. #2
    In the right lane gerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Posts
    9,144
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    Then they show a woman riding a 10 speed who asks the question "You think I like riding this thing to work?".
    Sorry.. I seem to be missing your point. Is she complaining that she doesn't have enough gears? New cassettes are pretty cheap

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the same story every six weeks, another company wants you to feel ashamed and buy a new motorcar. ZipCar was famous for doing this and other anti-transit commercials. Yet, they don't tell your how much it's going to insure this new vehicle?

  4. #4
    alleged person Pobble.808's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lost in Space
    My Bikes
    1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH
    Posts
    427
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerv View Post
    Sorry.. I seem to be missing your point. Is she complaining that she doesn't have enough gears? New cassettes are pretty cheap
    Or maybe too many gears and she's saving up for the single speed fixie that she really wants?

  5. #5
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,584
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a political commercial on TV that was even more insulting to carfree people. It was put out by an "energy group" opposing Obama's reelection. It was the tired claims that Democrats are causing the high basoline prices. Then they said Democratic ploiticians don't care if gas prices are high, and showed a clip of Energy Secretary Chu saying, "At this time I don't own a car." The implication was that carfree people are a bunch of weirdo elitist tree-hugging Pinkos. (Which is probably true in my case, but it sure doesn't fit the majority of carfree people! Or for that matter, Sec. Chu.)


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  6. #6
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,264
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerv View Post
    Sorry.. I seem to be missing your point. Is she complaining that she doesn't have enough gears? New cassettes are pretty cheap
    Her point is that commuting to work by bicycle is demeaning and unpleasant and that no one could possibly do it out of any reason except financial distress, and that if able to qualify for a car loan, she'd ditch the bike in a New York minute.
    Last edited by Artkansas; 04-09-12 at 07:36 AM.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  7. #7
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,264
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    The implication was that carfree people are a bunch of weirdo elitist tree-hugging Pinkos. (Which is probably true in my case, but it sure doesn't fit the majority of carfree people! Or for that matter, Sec. Chu.)
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,277
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    Her point is that commuting to work by bicycle is demeaning and unpleasant and that no one could possibly do it out of any reason except financial distress, and that if able to qualify for a car loan, she'd ditch the bike in a New York minute.
    And enjoy the wasted time sitting in traffic jams, hunting for parking spaces, not going places because parking is a pain, etc, etc....works for me, NOT!

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  9. #9
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,264
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
    And enjoy the wasted time sitting in traffic jams, hunting for parking spaces, not going places because parking is a pain, etc, etc....works for me, NOT!
    But at least people can see that you can afford a car. As Russell Simmons says about the Rush card. It's about respect.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,277
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    But at least people can see that you can afford a car. As Russell Simmons says about the Rush card. It's about respect.
    I really don't give any thought to what people think about me... We have a bunch of clowns at work that are hung up on what kind of car to drive, several of them have Escalades, Hummers, etc. I actually feel sorry for them. I drive older vehicles that are paid for. They have to live paycheck to paycheck and live with constant heartburn and worry about the economy. I don't. Does the economy concern me? Yes, but I don't worry about it. I live well below my means and could care less about the Joneses.

    Aaron
    Last edited by wahoonc; 04-09-12 at 07:17 PM.
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  11. #11
    In the right lane gerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Posts
    9,144
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
    I really don't give any thought to what people think about me...
    That's got to be the first step. If carloanpal.com thinks bicycles aren't the ultimate transportation, I'll be out of their web site in a New York minute.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •