Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-12, 10:18 AM   #51
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,620
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
Oh, well I'm about in the middle or you 2, let me know if you want to meet here!
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 10:20 AM   #52
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
Being carfree or carlight is definitely not typical behavior. Maybe people who are unconventional in one area of life are off the charts in other areas too.

In other words, maybe we're all as weird as hell?
Fly your Freak Flag High, eh?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fly Your Freak Flag High.jpg (51.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Fly Your Freak Flag High-4.jpg (100.5 KB, 16 views)
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 10:40 AM   #53
SuncoastChad
Senior Member
 
SuncoastChad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL
Bikes: Schwinn Fred-mobile
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaT120 View Post
That's not weird, that's just cute. Weird is the guy I saw a few years ago in Albany, OR riding his bike on the bridge heading into downtown. He had a basket on the handlebars, and an opossum in the basket. The 'possum wasn't restrained that I could see. He was just hanging on enjoying the ride.
Hmmm...my neighbor had a pet possum and used to take it for bicycle rides. He built a platform with handle for the possum to hang on to. I'll put a picture up tonight if I can find it on the home computer.
SuncoastChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 10:57 AM   #54
AdamDZ 
Bike addict, dreamer
 
AdamDZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Queens, New York
Bikes:
Posts: 5,165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
In other words, maybe we're all as weird as hell?
That might be true, actually. But do we care? I'd rather be weird than conventional. I am weird in other areas as well, I stopped trying to fit in long time ago. Like, I don't watch TV, I hate advertising, fashion and mainstream, I don't like sports, I have my own opinions, I'm an atheist too and probably a socialist as well, so yeah by any modern western society standards I am weird. I'm attracted to unusual people as well, normal people bore me to death.
AdamDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 12:02 PM   #55
chandltp
Senior Member
 
chandltp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Erie, PA
Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others
Posts: 1,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
Yeah, once in a while I have to get off and push or even carry my bike a little way--especially if there's a little uphill grade. But the main roads will be plowed pretty quickly. Usually if I see cars getting through I know I can make it too.
I've been tempted to wave down a car and ask for a tow, just to see what the reaction is.
chandltp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 02:03 PM   #56
pick
Senior Member
 
pick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Antelope Valley, CA
Bikes: ABT1X (retired), KHS TR 101, '84 motocruiser frame
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manybikes View Post
No problem. All pick has to do is ride from California to Rhode Island.
now that is a bike tour waiting to happen...LOL!!
pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 03:55 PM   #57
Roody
Sophomoric Member
Thread Starter
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,578
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Fly your Freak Flag High, eh?

back with a bang
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 04:46 PM   #58
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,620
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pick View Post
now that is a bike tour waiting to happen...LOL!!
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 05:59 PM   #59
cycleobsidian
cycleobsidian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Fly your Freak Flag High, eh?

Look who's back! LCF wasn't the same without you.

Bet you missed us.
cycleobsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12, 07:50 AM   #60
Gojohnnygo.
Burn-em Upus Icephaltus
 
Gojohnnygo.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 2,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamDZ View Post
That might be true, actually. But do we care? I'd rather be weird than conventional. I am weird in other areas as well, I stopped trying to fit in long time ago. Like, I don't watch TV, I hate advertising, fashion and mainstream, I don't like sports, I have my own opinions, I'm an atheist too and probably a socialist as well, so yeah by any modern western society standards I am weird. I'm attracted to unusual people as well, normal people bore me to death.
I think the same about mainstream I hardly ever turn my TV on I find it so boring
__________________
Sick BubbleGum
Gojohnnygo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12, 07:56 AM   #61
Gojohnnygo.
Burn-em Upus Icephaltus
 
Gojohnnygo.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 2,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
I think that's the most we've ever gotten overnight since I've started riding in the winter.. getting off my un-plowed road was interesting.

Glad here your a winter cyclist.. I hear ya been there done that. Those plies of snow on my side routes can turn my 30 minute bike commute into an hour or more at 3am before most of the plows are out.
__________________
Sick BubbleGum
Gojohnnygo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12, 08:16 AM   #62
Gojohnnygo.
Burn-em Upus Icephaltus
 
Gojohnnygo.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 2,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
Being carfree or carlight is definitely not typical behavior. Maybe people who are unconventional in one area of life are off the charts in other areas too.

In other words, maybe we're all as weird as hell?


To answer Roody's question Yes I'm weird and have been for my whole entire life. If I could do it over I would have better bikes. I'm proud of being car free.
__________________
Sick BubbleGum
Gojohnnygo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 12:02 AM   #63
SweetNightmare
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Plano, TX
Bikes:
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I absolutely think I'm weird. I think I'm going to be crazy to go out on busy roads when I get my bike and ride to work and back every day I work, ride down to a bike trail and ride on days I don't work, and ride to stores when I need to. I'm absolutely insane.

But then again, we're all mad here...
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 10:45 AM   #64
enigmaT120
Senior Member
 
enigmaT120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Falls City, OR
Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93
Posts: 1,896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuncoastChad View Post
Hmmm...my neighbor had a pet possum and used to take it for bicycle rides. He built a platform with handle for the possum to hang on to. I'll put a picture up tonight if I can find it on the home computer.
Please? I wish I'd had a camera (video would have been even better) the day I saw it. David58 lives in that town where I saw it.
enigmaT120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-12, 10:00 PM   #65
AutumnSylver
Member
 
AutumnSylver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No. I think people who insist on staying addicted to cars are weird. And can't think for themselves.
AutumnSylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-12, 10:22 PM   #66
AutumnSylver
Member
 
AutumnSylver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamDZ View Post
That might be true, actually. But do we care? I'd rather be weird than conventional. I am weird in other areas as well, I stopped trying to fit in long time ago. Like, I don't watch TV, I hate advertising, fashion and mainstream, I don't like sports, I have my own opinions, I'm an atheist too and probably a socialist as well, so yeah by any modern western society standards I am weird. I'm attracted to unusual people as well, normal people bore me to death.
Same here. Atheist, childfree, carfree, I think fashion is stupid, I don't wear makeup, I don't own a lot of clothes or shoes, I'm 35 and still play video games, I don't watch much TV either. Now that they have TV shows online, I watch them online without commercials. Or at least without a lot of commercials. I also have an odd sense of humour that a lot of people don't get. I'm also just completely goofy at times.
I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of for now.
I also stopped trying to fit in a long time ago. I never really fit in with any groups of people. I guess they all thought I was weird (HA!).
AutumnSylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-12, 10:35 PM   #67
Bikepacker67
Banned
 
Bikepacker67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ogopogo's shoreline
Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke
Posts: 4,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used to think I was weird.
But like anything else in life, the novelty wore off.

Now I just think I'm boringly eccentric.
Bikepacker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-12, 07:30 PM   #68
Roody
Sophomoric Member
Thread Starter
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,578
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikepacker67 View Post
I used to think I was weird.
But like anything else in life, the novelty wore off.

Now I just think I'm boringly eccentric.
I always thought you were an interesting person, at least online, and I'm glad you're posting here again more often.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-12, 08:39 PM   #69
kookaburra1701
Senior Member
 
kookaburra1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8
Posts: 1,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnSylver View Post
Same here. Atheist, childfree, carfree, I think fashion is stupid, I don't wear makeup, I don't own a lot of clothes or shoes, I'm 35 and still play video games, I don't watch much TV either. Now that they have TV shows online, I watch them online without commercials. Or at least without a lot of commercials. I also have an odd sense of humour that a lot of people don't get. I'm also just completely goofy at times.
I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of for now.
I also stopped trying to fit in a long time ago. I never really fit in with any groups of people. I guess they all thought I was weird (HA!).
+1. Atheist, lesbian, no kids, no makeup, standard clothing is tshirt and jeans (when I'm not in scrubs - how awesome is it to be able to wear pajamas to work?!)

I also work graveyard shift and actually prefer it, which makes people look at me weird. I have actually been scolded by patients as I'm putting in an IV because "it's not right for a young lady to be up so late." o_O

Other than cycling, my hobbies include knitting - except for my summer cycling socks, all of my socks are handknit, I enjoy cartoons, IMO some of the best quality entertainment has been coming out of "children's" TV in recent years. I make jewelry, paint, kitbash Transformers, um, lots of stuff.

The thing that most people seem to find weird is that I'm not looking for anyone. I love being alone - every time I've tried to have a relationship (with either men or women) it just gets to be too much and I end up breaking it off because I was happier by myself.
kookaburra1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-12, 08:43 PM   #70
AutumnSylver
Member
 
AutumnSylver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookaburra1701 View Post
The thing that most people seem to find weird is that I'm not looking for anyone. I love being alone - every time I've tried to have a relationship (with either men or women) it just gets to be too much and I end up breaking it off because I was happier by myself.
Same here. I'm 35, single, never married, and not looking for anyone at the moment. I have trouble finding someone who is either not commitment-phobic, or isn't crazy. As far as I've experienced, relationships are more hassle than they're worth.
AutumnSylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-12, 09:09 PM   #71
kalliergo 
Senior Member
 
kalliergo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SF Bay
Bikes: Trek Valencia+, Dutch cargo bike, Karate Monkey, etc.
Posts: 708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Autumn, kooka, et al.: I'm pretty sure that you are weird, but I'm also absolutely certain that it's a good thing, because the "normal" culture into which you have difficulty fitting is utterly and destructively insane.

Your (our) weirdness contains the seeds of hope for a decent and sustainable future. You're right, the rest of the world is wrong. Don't ever let them tell you otherwise.
__________________
"What if we fail to stop the erosion of cities by automobiles?. . . In that case, we Americans will hardly need to ponder a mystery that has troubled men for millennia: What is the purpose of life? For us, the answer will be clear, established and for all practical purposes indisputable: The purpose of life is to produce and consume automobiles."

~Jane Jacobs, The Death and Life of Great American Cities
kalliergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-12, 09:26 PM   #72
AutumnSylver
Member
 
AutumnSylver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalliergo View Post
Autumn, kooka, et al.: I'm pretty sure that you are weird, but I'm also absolutely certain that it's a good thing, because the "normal" culture into which you have difficulty fitting is utterly and destructively insane.

Your (our) weirdness contains the seeds of hope for a decent and sustainable future. You're right, the rest of the world is wrong. Don't ever let them tell you otherwise.
It just gets exhausting after a while when everyone around you has the attitude "What's wrong with you? Why don't you want to get married/have kids/buy a car/get a driver's license?"
AutumnSylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-12, 09:35 PM   #73
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I keep hoping that one day I will see -50C so that I can say I rode through that too.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-12, 09:41 PM   #74
Bikepacker67
Banned
 
Bikepacker67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ogopogo's shoreline
Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke
Posts: 4,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
I always thought you were an interesting person, at least online, and I'm glad you're posting here again more often.
I've been spending too much time slumming in P&R.
Bikepacker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-12, 11:19 PM   #75
kalliergo 
Senior Member
 
kalliergo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SF Bay
Bikes: Trek Valencia+, Dutch cargo bike, Karate Monkey, etc.
Posts: 708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnSylver View Post
It just gets exhausting after a while when everyone around you has the attitude "What's wrong with you? Why don't you want to get married/have kids/buy a car/get a driver's license?"
Yeah, I know. I've been dealing with it for, well, lets just say a few decades longer than you have so far. Of course, I didn't get the "have kids" lectures as much as women do.

It helps to find like-minded "weirdo" support groups. When I was your age, it was a bit easier in some ways, since we had such a lively counterculture in so many places. OTOH, the Internet provides opportunities for "virtual" communities that we never could have dreamed of.

The fact that younger people like you, with commitment to alternative visions and the courage to live them in daily life, can still make it in our overwhelmingly conformist modern world gives me hope.
__________________
"What if we fail to stop the erosion of cities by automobiles?. . . In that case, we Americans will hardly need to ponder a mystery that has troubled men for millennia: What is the purpose of life? For us, the answer will be clear, established and for all practical purposes indisputable: The purpose of life is to produce and consume automobiles."

~Jane Jacobs, The Death and Life of Great American Cities
kalliergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:33 PM.