Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-11-12, 11:25 PM   #1
folder fanatic
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Bikes:
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Amsterdam's Bike Graveyard

The place where bikes go in Amsterdam when their owners no longer love them. Yet in North America, these same bikes would sell at a premium price.

Go figure.

".......The Fietsdepot is the graveyard for 10,000 bikes of all shapes and sizes which have been removed by the city of Amsterdam while illegally parked. Only 25% are claimed by their owners, after 3 months all unclaimed bikes are scrapped or sold at auctions....."-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwji1CpWO9E
folder fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 01:39 AM   #2
ubringliten
Senior Member
 
ubringliten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oakland, CA
Bikes: 2010 Wabi Lightning, 2014 Brompton S2L-X
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Indeed they are some nice bikes. I wonder if they donate to people that need them instead of just scraping them. I am pretty sure there's a lot of demand in Africa.
ubringliten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 04:06 AM   #3
Ekdog
Senior Member
 
Ekdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seville, Spain
Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
Posts: 4,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
I wonder why their owners don't reclaim them. Could it be that they'd have to pay a fine for illegal parking which makes it not worth doing?

I'd love to go to one of their auctions.
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 12:53 PM   #4
gerv 
In the right lane
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed
Posts: 9,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by folder fanatic View Post
The place where bikes go in Amsterdam when their owners no longer love them. Yet in North America, these same bikes would sell at a premium price.

Go figure.

".......The Fietsdepot is the graveyard for 10,000 bikes of all shapes and sizes which have been removed by the city of Amsterdam while illegally parked. Only 25% are claimed by their owners, after 3 months all unclaimed bikes are scrapped or sold at auctions....."-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwji1CpWO9E
This happens lots in the US. Bikes are seized. The owners are too preoccupied or have no indoor space to reclaim. The bikes are sold at auction.

Also, I believe another driver is that the Dutch receive a tax break on the purchase of a new bike....
gerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 02:29 PM   #5
Cyclepup
Senior Member
 
Cyclepup's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Southern CA
Bikes:
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The bakfiets at 1:25 and 1:50 caught my eye. Wish we had those at auction here.
Cyclepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 05:15 PM   #6
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 6,878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
We have that many bikes locked up in police stations across the country! Seriously. In my small town, (pop 60K) the police station has about 100 bikes locked up. Although most were department store bikes, there were a number of older Schwinn bikes from the 70's in that pack. If you went to all the police stations in the U.S, you have 10,000 bikes easily!

The difference being the Dutch have much better bikes they discard than we do.

Good Post.
Dahon.Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 08:17 PM   #7
dynodonn 
Senior Member
 
dynodonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 7,342
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
I wonder why their owners don't reclaim them. Could it be that they'd have to pay a fine for illegal parking which makes it not worth doing?

I'd love to go to one of their auctions.
I know that the Netherlands has a good bicycle insurance program, many owners probably claim that the bike was stolen, get an insurance settlement, and buy a new bike.


I would say that a few US cyclists and bike co-ops would give their left nut to rummage through that graveyard.
dynodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 10:44 PM   #8
gerv 
In the right lane
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed
Posts: 9,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclepup View Post
The bakfiets at 1:25 and 1:50 caught my eye. Wish we had those at auction here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
I would say that a few US cyclists and bike co-ops would give their left nut to rummage through that graveyard.
I think Cyclepup has already found his bike in that pile.
gerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:51 AM.