Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-17-13, 05:01 PM   #1
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
Thread Starter
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Less Car More Go

Mix 1 part Stanford University, 2 parts Nicaragua and leaven with Vietnamese cargo bike wizardry . Voila!

__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-13, 07:52 PM   #2
gerv 
In the right lane
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed
Posts: 9,567
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Thanks for posting this video!

Funny thing though is that not too many carfree people I know seem to need an Xtracycle.

I guess it would work best for parents or something.... would it? I see a lot of surf boards hanging off these bikes in this video...

What type of person rides an Xtracycle?
gerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-13, 08:30 PM   #3
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 24,068
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Ross Evans is a great guy, doing well by doing good. It was interesting to learn more about his background in Nicaragua and how they market th Xtracycle.

I'm really looking forward to that movie. I'm not sure if the whole movie will be about Ross or if there will be other segments? Either way, it should be interesting.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-13, 10:03 PM   #4
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
Thread Starter
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerv View Post
Funny thing though is that not too many carfree people I know seem to need an Xtracycle.
What type of person rides an Xtracycle?
I think they are more important when you are young. In my '20s I would have loved one, and with all the moving around and stuff I did, I could have really used one. I remember one load where I managed to get all the lumber to make a camera dolly for a film class onto my bike. An Xtracycle would have made it easy. I also recall transporting a door that I used as a desk. Recently, there was a shelf from Home Depot.

But I think it's an important story for the car-free community. He went out and did more for being car-free than any of us.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-13, 01:38 AM   #5
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 24,068
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerv View Post
Thanks for posting this video!

Funny thing though is that not too many carfree people I know seem to need an Xtracycle.

I guess it would work best for parents or something.... would it? I see a lot of surf boards hanging off these bikes in this video...

What type of person rides an Xtracycle?
The point is that it's the easiest and cheapest way to get a cargo bike, but the bike still rides like a bike. In fact, many people say that a bike rides better after the longtail extension is attached. The main downsides to a longtail are that it's slightly harder to carry and store, and it won't go on most public transit. But still, if you wanted one good multipurpose bike, Xbike would be a good choice.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-13, 02:46 AM   #6
Ekdog
Senior Member
 
Ekdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seville, Spain
Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
Posts: 4,406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
The point is that it's the easiest and cheapest way to get a cargo bike, but the bike still rides like a bike. In fact, many people say that a bike rides better after the longtail extension is attached. The main downsides to a longtail are that it's slightly harder to carry and store, and it won't go on most public transit. But still, if you wanted one good multipurpose bike, Xbike would be a good choice.
I'd love to have one, but I have nowhere to put it.
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:09 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION