Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 133
  1. #51
    Senior Member CommuteCommando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In the drops on the roads of North San Diego/South Orange Counies CA
    My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Posts
    2,911
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't even watch the stupid game on TV. I'll be up off the damn couch riding my bike that day.
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

  2. #52
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,811
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuteCommando View Post
    I don't even watch the stupid game on TV. I'll be up off the damn couch riding my bike that day.
    What stupid stuff do you prefer to watch on your TV or computer? Are your choices less or more stupid than anyone else's entertainment fare?

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,154
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuteCommando View Post
    I don't even watch the stupid game on TV. I'll be up off the damn couch riding my bike that day.
    Believe it or not, one of the best days to ride a bike is during the Superbowl! It's almost like riding on a Sunday morning without much just before noon. Unfortunately, it's going to be real cold this January so I won't be riding that day!

  4. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    4,663
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve View Post
    Believe it or not, one of the best days to ride a bike is during the Superbowl! It's almost like riding on a Sunday morning without much just before noon. Unfortunately, it's going to be real cold this January so I won't be riding that day!
    It's even better if you live in the home region of one of the teams that will be playing. Way back when the raiders and then the forty-niners were regularly appearing in the SB, I lived in the Bay Area. I really enjoyed the playoffs for the hours of low-traffic cycling they gave me.

  5. #55
    Senior Member CommuteCommando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In the drops on the roads of North San Diego/South Orange Counies CA
    My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Posts
    2,911
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve View Post
    Believe it or not, one of the best days to ride a bike is during the Superbowl! It's almost like riding on a Sunday morning without much just before noon. Unfortunately, it's going to be real cold this January so I won't be riding that day!
    Cycling seems to be the last bastion of this. Superbowl Sunday used to be a great day to escape crowds at Amusment parks and such. Now that nearly everyone can take the game with them on mobile devices this is no longer the case.

    I wonder what ILTB had to say. I am not seeing it since he's on my ignore list, but I'm betting it's negative.
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

  6. #56
    Senior Member dynodonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,765
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve View Post
    The closest hotel to the stadium would be the Hilton in East Rutherford about 1 mile. First, there is no way to get to that Hotel by bicycle or walking since there are no sidewalks and only ramps! If you did manage to get to this hotel, there are more high speed ramps that lead into the stadium but you would have to be very brave to do this! LOL!
    I can hear the DOT engineers now, "Design roads for people who want to walk or ride their bicycles, to the stadium?" (slight pause, then a loud chorus of laughter can be heard in the back ground)

  7. #57
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,811
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
    I can hear the DOT engineers now, "Design roads for people who want to walk or ride their bicycles, to the stadium?" (slight pause, then a loud chorus of laughter can be heard in the back ground)
    The opposite of the dead silence coming from the SuperBowl ticket holders clamoring for bicycle access to this year's game in NJ.
    But there is heard a slight murmur from aggrieved cyclists wailing about lack of access to a game for which they express zero interest in attending or even watching on a TV.

  8. #58
    Senior Member dynodonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,765
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    The opposite of the dead silence coming from the SuperBowl ticket holders clamoring for bicycle access to this year's game in NJ.
    With a cyclist's friend, NYPD calling the security shots, fat chance in anyone saying anything to the contrary.

    Far cry from the 2013 SB, in this rental ad depicting walkability.

    http://superbowlhouserentals.com/sup...to-super-dome/

  9. #59
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,811
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
    With a cyclist's friend, NYPD calling the security shots, fat chance in anyone saying anything to the contrary.
    /
    What does the NYPD have to do with this year's SuperBowl? Do I or you need a lesson in geography?

  10. #60
    Senior Member dynodonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,765
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    What does the NYPD have to do with this year's SuperBowl? Do I or you need a lesson in geography?
    My apologies to NYPD and to BF members for my poor reading in deducing that NYPD's security measures for the Super Bowl bonanza in Times Square were anyway connected to the activities at the Met Life stadium in New Jersey.

  11. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    4,663
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
    I can hear the DOT engineers now, "Design roads for people who want to walk or ride their bicycles, to the stadium?" (slight pause, then a loud chorus of laughter can be heard in the back ground)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post

    Far cry from the 2013 SB, in this rental ad depicting walkability.

    http://superbowlhouserentals.com/sup...to-super-dome/
    Quote Originally Posted by 2103 Super Bowl House Rentals
    1200 sq ft Condo/Loft 2 bedroom one bath plus pull out sofa is located in New Orleans downtown Central business district. It’s a perfect location for Super Bowl and Mardi Gras goers, walking distance to Super Dome (5Blocks) & French Quarter (2 Blocks) & Harrahs Casino (1 Block).
    So, the folks renting houses to attendees of the last Super Bowl saw a market for people who wanted to walk to the game, but this market is assumed to not exist in New Jersey. Perhaps oddly, I suspect the attendees are going to be many of the same people this year as last year.

  12. #62
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,811
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
    So, the folks renting houses to attendees of the last Super Bowl saw a market for people who wanted to walk to the game, but this market is assumed to not exist in New Jersey. Perhaps oddly, I suspect the attendees are going to be many of the same people this year as last year.
    How many of this year's Super Bowl attendees do you think are looking for a house rental in East Rutherford, NJ in order to walk to and about the local tourist attractions?

  13. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    4,663
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    How many of this year's Super Bowl attendees do you think are looking for a house rental in East Rutherford, NJ in order to walk to and about the local tourist attractions?
    I don't think it matters how many people I think are looking for housing close enough to walk to the game or the local shooting gallery. What matters is that the folks putting on the game are attempting to normalize dependence on motor vehicles.

    Here's something that may illustrate why I think this matters: A decade ago, my son decided to play in the scholastic national chess championship tournament. It was held in Nashville, TN. A large number of other players, including many of his friends, were staying at the same hotel as we were which was less than a mile from the playing site. The first day, which involved an odd game of double chess called bughouse, we were the only people who walked from the hotel to the playing site; everyone else drove. Later that evening, a few other players joined us to walk over for the blitz tournament. By the end of the four-day event, almost everyone at our hotel was walking back and forth several times each day.

    People are mostly sheeple. They will go along with whatever seems normal. Since my son was the best player from his state in attendance, the other players who knew him were happy to follow his lead. If the playing site were to prohibit pedestrian access, then none of us would have been able to enjoy the means of transportation that has been the default means of mobility since before humans were humans: walking.

  14. #64
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,454
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
    I don't think it matters how many people I think are looking for housing close enough to walk to the game or the local shooting gallery. What matters is that the folks putting on the game are attempting to normalize dependence on motor vehicles.

    Here's something that may illustrate why I think this matters: A decade ago, my son decided to play in the scholastic national chess championship tournament. It was held in Nashville, TN. A large number of other players, including many of his friends, were staying at the same hotel as we were which was less than a mile from the playing site. The first day, which involved an odd game of double chess called bughouse, we were the only people who walked from the hotel to the playing site; everyone else drove. Later that evening, a few other players joined us to walk over for the blitz tournament. By the end of the four-day event, almost everyone at our hotel was walking back and forth several times each day.

    People are mostly sheeple. They will go along with whatever seems normal. Since my son was the best player from his state in attendance, the other players who knew him were happy to follow his lead. If the playing site were to prohibit pedestrian access, then none of us would have been able to enjoy the means of transportation that has been the default means of mobility since before humans were humans: walking.
    Good illustration. I think all public attractions and venues should be accessible to walkers, especially those funded by taxpayers, many of whom do not drive.

    One exception would be the Statue of Liberty.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  15. #65
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,811
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
    What matters is that the folks putting on the game are attempting to normalize dependence on motor vehicles.
    It "matters" to you and maybe somebody else who hasn't the slightest interest in the game, let alone attending.

  16. #66
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,454
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    It "matters" to you and maybe somebody else who hasn't the slightest interest in the game, let alone attending.
    Not true. The last Spartan game I attended, my friend and I rode to the stadium on our bikes. The entire trip was on a riverside trail, until we got to the beautiful campus and switched over to their bike path system. There were bike racks within a few yards of the stadium entrance, and probably about 100 bikes there. Admittedly that's a very small number of bikes for almost 100,000 attendees, but still. It would be easy to walk to the stadium, and the city bus service also goes directly to the stadium. The bus is always crowded on game days, so I know some people use that service. It would save a TON of money for parking, probably enough to purchase your overpriced refreshments. Most people who drive end up taking a shuttle bus anyway.

    I think it would be great fun to have a bicycle tailgate party, but I don't know if that would be allowed. There's nowhere as exciting as a Big 10 campus on game day!


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  17. #67
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,811
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Not true. The last Spartan game I attended,
    Take note, the Spartan games or any other peewee, high school, college or NFL game are not the issue. The OP expressed his agitation over walking/bicycling restrictions to a specific game, in a specific place, on a specific date; and a game which he specifically pointed out that he has absolutely no interest in attending by foot, bike or electronically.

  18. #68
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,454
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    Take note, the Spartan games or any other peewee, high school, college or NFL game are not the issue. The OP expressed his agitation over walking/bicycling restrictions to a specific game, in a specific place, on a specific date; and a game which he specifically pointed out that he has absolutely no interest in attending by foot, bike or electronically.
    Peewee?


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  19. #69
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,811
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Peewee?
    Youth leagues, pre high school, mostly elementary school age.

  20. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Boston area
    My Bikes
    1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo
    Posts
    669
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next they won't let you walk or bike to a NASCAR race track.

    I'll make a Superbowl prediction. I don't know who'll be playing, but the game will still be in doubt until the last minute, or if they follow the script correctly, the last seconds. Why? Advertisers won't pay for spots if they aren't guaranteed an audience for the whole game

  21. #71
    Senior Member Ekdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seville, Spain
    My Bikes
    Brompton M6R and mountain bikes equipped for touring.
    Posts
    3,147
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ironwood View Post
    Next they won't let you walk or bike to a NASCAR race track.

    I'll make a Superbowl prediction. I don't know who'll be playing, but the game will still be in doubt until the last minute, or if they follow the script correctly, the last seconds. Why? Advertisers won't pay for spots if they aren't guaranteed an audience for the whole game
    Not all Super Bowl matches have been close games and many of them have been downright boring, so I suspect your conspiracy theory has little to back it up.
    Gimme that car-free living!

  22. #72
    Senior Member runningDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
    It's not like I will ever attend a football game, much less the Superbowl, but I found this to be ridiculous.


    Banning tailgating is bad enough, but not allowing people to enter an event if they choose to arrive by non-motorized means just strikes me as Unamerican. I think the organizers may have taken too many blows to their heads.

    The article does not explicitly state that people will also not be allowed to arrive by bike, but:

    So, the biggest sporting event in the U.S. is banning human powered transportation from being used to arrive.

    At least they are still allowing people to use public transit. (Actually, they are encouraging it.)
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...r-bowl-stadium

    I guess baseball is more civilized. There is valet bike parking at AT&T park, home of the SF Giants, and it is well-used.

    its more of a security thing would be my guess. I remember reading somewhere that one of the scariest things in the world to Israelis and Palestinians in their metro areas are unattended bikes (because of bomb threats).

    as was mentioned before by Dahon.Steve that area is just a huge mess of ramps and expressways. there is a lot of adequate public transportation (especially coming in from NYC - which is less than 10 miles away). In fact the public subway/train/bus route is pretty affordable even on game day. sure there are overpriced shuttle buses but there are affordable public transport options as well.

    the whole area is a "sports complex" which also has a large indoor stadium IZOD Center (where the NBA Nets used to play), a racetrack, and other things.

    there is the irony of having the two "New York City" NFL teams (the Jets and the Giants) playing in new jersey, but then again it does bolster the fan base.

    when the Super Bowl was originally announced to be in New York City! there was a ton of backlash, because the venue itself is in fact in New Jersey. Kudos to the organizers who eventually started sharing some of the limelight.


    other than the football teams, the NYC baseball, hockey, and basketball teams (and soon to be Islanders as well) have stadiums which are very accessible by foot, bike, and most importantly public transport. i think the worst way to get to Madison Square garden or Barclay's center is by car. Hell even those driving to citi field or yankee stadium coming in from CT or NJ end up doing some sort of park and ride method (because savvy fans know you can street park in queens/bronx for free and just walk or take a quick subway ride to the stadium).

    in NYC even millionaires take the subway and buses and ride with the masses. especially if it means easy/quick access to the stadium to which they are attending a game/event. so for $2.75 you can get to a yankees game all the way coney island.

    i personally have ridden my bike to barclays to watch a Nets game (its a 25min easy ride from williamsburg). you can pretty much ride from manhattan to brooklyn using 95% bike shared streets or bike lanes (including the bridges).

    I've also personally have gone to Jets games at met life, and some concerts at the Izod center and its just easier to take a car (because taking a subway from brooklyn would be almost two hours having to transverse manhattan). Even if the meadowlands sports complex were to be super bike accessible, its still quite a trek (because its essentially in an industrial wasteland).

    remember these stadiums are used for other things too (if you don't like football). music concerts, other sports.
    Last edited by runningDoc; 12-16-13 at 07:39 AM.

  23. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Boston area
    My Bikes
    1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo
    Posts
    669
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
    Not all Super Bowl matches have been close games and many of them have been downright boring, so I suspect your conspiracy theory has little to back it up.
    There were some games in the past that were runaways and hence the term Superbore. A lot of viewers switched off. As a result advertisers were not willing to pay for ads at the end of the game. I have a feeling, without any proof, that the the NFL and the networks decided to guarantee an audience for the advertisers. The way to ensure an audience is to guarantee a close game. After all, why would a business pay for ads no one watches?

    Whether my prediction is right or wrong we'll find out

  24. #74
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,454
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ironwood View Post
    There were some games in the past that were runaways and hence the term Superbore. A lot of viewers switched off. As a result advertisers were not willing to pay for ads at the end of the game. I have a feeling, without any proof, that the the NFL and the networks decided to guarantee an audience for the advertisers. The way to ensure an audience is to guarantee a close game. After all, why would a business pay for ads no one watches?

    Whether my prediction is right or wrong we'll find out
    By what means would they guarantee a close game?


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  25. #75
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,811
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    By what means would they guarantee a close game?
    Station sharpshooters on the Grassy Knoll near the stadium?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •