Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Living Car Free (http://www.bikeforums.net/living-car-free/)
-   -   No, You May Not Walk (to the Superbowl) (http://www.bikeforums.net/living-car-free/925566-no-you-may-not-walk-superbowl.html)

Rollfast 01-13-14 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B. Carfree (Post 16388389)
My family's lore has it that cousin Philo Farnsworth, the inventor of the television, actually envisioned it as a way to bring things like performances of the New York Philharmonic to the boonies. He was so bothered by what his invention was used for that he never did allow one into his own house.

He was bothered because Sarnoff chewed him over like anybody else who encountered RCA. Also a good point to bring up is that Farnswrth invented the ICONOSCOPE, not the CRT (an 1800s idea), not mechanically scanned television (which was even recorded on 10 inch discs at around 80 rpm in a commercial effort called Phonovision that failed because of a lack of a good synchronization scheme and had to be recreated with computer technology at the turn of this century) and also involved hot arc lighting and horrid makeup to make the Nipkow scanning wheel work well at all...mechanical television was in California before the Marconi system (British System A, 405 lines at 50 frames) was adopted and Farnsworth's system was only producing 343 lines at the time if I recall correctly..

Smart as a whip, Utah/Idaho boy, did a lot to advance electronic television but was run over by RCA Victor and Philco.

I can't tell you a lot about derailleurs though.

B. Carfree 01-26-14 12:43 PM

Apparently, there may be one person who walks FROM the stadium after the game. http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013...win-super-bowl

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Adams, Denver Broncos
If we win the Super Bowl, I'm going to keep my helmet and pads on and I'm walking home

I now hope the Broncos win. I'd love to see some footage of the lone pedestrian in the desert of cars and buses.

Rollfast 01-27-14 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B. Carfree (Post 16442013)
Apparently, there may be one person who walks FROM the stadium after the game. http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013...win-super-bowl



I now hope the Broncos win. I'd love to see some footage of the lone pedestrian in the desert of cars and buses.

Be very careful, there's a bad ol' puddytat out there!

Ekdog 02-03-14 03:20 PM

It sounds like getting to the game was as bad as watching it.

Despite extremely limited (and expensive) parking options, the NFL and the NJ Transit only expected between 12,000 and 15,000 fans to take the train from Secaucus to the Meadowlands. They were, of course, wrong.

A few hours before games, officials changed their estimate to more than 27,000. But by that time, though, it was too late. Commuters on the way to the game described the transit as "worse than a sauna"and "an epic fail."


http://gawker.com/the-mass-transit-s...@matthardigree

Roody 02-03-14 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ekdog (Post 16464794)
It sounds like getting to the game was as bad as watching it.

Despite extremely limited (and expensive) parking options, the NFL and the NJ Transit only expected between 12,000 and 15,000 fans to take the train from Secaucus to the Meadowlands. They were, of course, wrong.

A few hours before games, officials changed their estimate to more than 27,000. But by that time, though, it was too late. Commuters on the way to the game described the transit as "worse than a sauna"and "an epic fail."


http://gawker.com/the-mass-transit-s...@matthardigree

Bear in mind, these are billionaires, accustomed to limousines and private jets. Of course a train car is going to seem cramped to them. But I'm trying to feel sorry for them! :rolleyes:

jon c. 02-03-14 07:47 PM

I'm pretty sure the billionaires are still arriving by private, chauffeured vehicle.

Dahon.Steve 02-03-14 09:30 PM

I was at the train station about an hour before the game started. LOL! The station was empty so I figured everyone had left for the stadium. NJ Transit did their best to sugar coat the jam but there was no way they were getting 27 thousand out of the stadium on those trains.

As for Patterson NJ, I've taken my bike there over 20 times and nothing ever happened. Totally overrated. By the way, if you're in Patterson, you have to see the Great Falls.

[video=youtube_share;0bZZkoPImsg]http://youtu.be/0bZZkoPImsg[/video]

Rollfast 02-10-14 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon c. (Post 16465586)
I'm pretty sure the billionaires are still arriving by private, chauffeured vehicle.

I'm pretty sure the billionaires stayed in their huge homes with their happy, rich friends and watched a $250,000 home theater system in comfort. Not the one you got at Walmart for the game.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:43 AM.