Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-22-14, 04:07 AM   #101
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Bikes:
Posts: 9,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
I'm proud to be anti-car!

I've worked to limit their access to the city center in my town, which has reduced accidents, improved the air quality, reduced the emission of greenhouse gases and made our town more livable.

If this makes me a "fundamentalist" in the eyes of some, I respect their opinions. I realize that my ideas are not in line with the majority of people's, but I strongly believe that minority opinions should be allowed in a sub-forum such as this one.
Unfortunately, your city centre (nice as it was) was also one of the most difficult to access by bicycle when I cycled across Europe last year. You might want to consider that, too.
__________________
"I am never going to flirt with idleness again" - Roy Keane
"We invite everyone to question the entire culture we take for granted." - Manic Street Preachers.
My blog.
My bike tours. Japan tour page under construction.
Chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 04:10 AM   #102
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Bikes:
Posts: 9,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
There's no doubt that people are paid to troll online.
That wasn't what he was asking. He was asking whether they would waste their time on *this* sub forum, with it's large population of under-employed cubicle dwellers. I'm sure there probably are certain sites people might be paid to post on. I highly doubt this is one of them.
__________________
"I am never going to flirt with idleness again" - Roy Keane
"We invite everyone to question the entire culture we take for granted." - Manic Street Preachers.
My blog.
My bike tours. Japan tour page under construction.
Chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 04:17 AM   #103
Ekdog
Senior Member
 
Ekdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seville, Spain
Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
Posts: 4,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris L View Post
Unfortunately, your city centre (nice as it was) was also one of the most difficult to access by bicycle when I cycled across Europe last year. You might want to consider that, too.
I can't imagine what gave you that idea. It's very accessible. Are you sure you're not confusing this city with another one?
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 04:19 AM   #104
Ekdog
Senior Member
 
Ekdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seville, Spain
Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
Posts: 4,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris L View Post
That wasn't what he was asking. He was asking whether they would waste their time on *this* sub forum, with it's large population of under-employed cubicle dwellers. I'm sure there probably are certain sites people might be paid to post on. I highly doubt this is one of them.
I imagine they're asked to cover a number of fora.
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 04:20 AM   #105
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Bikes:
Posts: 9,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
I can't imagine what gave you that idea. It's very accessible.
It's called 'experience'. After an hour of following wrong turns and dead ended "bike routes", I ended up simply taking my bike on the Autovia for a couple of kilometres. I should have done that from the start.
__________________
"I am never going to flirt with idleness again" - Roy Keane
"We invite everyone to question the entire culture we take for granted." - Manic Street Preachers.
My blog.
My bike tours. Japan tour page under construction.
Chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 04:21 AM   #106
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Bikes:
Posts: 9,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
I imagine they're asked to cover a number of fora.
I highly doubt this is one of them. I haven't been here for over a year, I come back and the same three monikers dominate the board. Why would anyone pay someone to argue with three people?
__________________
"I am never going to flirt with idleness again" - Roy Keane
"We invite everyone to question the entire culture we take for granted." - Manic Street Preachers.
My blog.
My bike tours. Japan tour page under construction.
Chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 04:26 AM   #107
Ekdog
Senior Member
 
Ekdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seville, Spain
Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
Posts: 4,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris L View Post
It's called 'experience'. After an hour of following wrong turns and dead ended "bike routes", I ended up simply taking my bike on the Autovia for a couple of kilometres. I should have done that from the start.
You should have looked me up. I could have given you some help with your map reading skills.

Where were you coming from?
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 04:28 AM   #108
Ekdog
Senior Member
 
Ekdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seville, Spain
Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
Posts: 4,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris L View Post
I highly doubt this is one of them. I haven't been here for over a year, I come back and the same three monikers dominate the board. Why would anyone pay someone to argue with three people?
Especially when Chris L will do it for free.
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 04:29 AM   #109
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Bikes:
Posts: 9,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
You should have looked me up. I could have given you some help with your map reading skills.
My map reading skills worked fine just about everywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
Where were you coming from?
Broadly, from Lisbon. Specifically, the Santiponce/Camas area.
Chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 04:30 AM   #110
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Bikes:
Posts: 9,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
Especially when Chris L will do it for free.
And you wonder why so many people complain about this sub forum.
__________________
"I am never going to flirt with idleness again" - Roy Keane
"We invite everyone to question the entire culture we take for granted." - Manic Street Preachers.
My blog.
My bike tours. Japan tour page under construction.
Chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 04:49 AM   #111
Ekdog
Senior Member
 
Ekdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seville, Spain
Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
Posts: 4,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris L View Post
My map reading skills worked fine just about everywhere else.



Broadly, from Lisbon. Specifically, the Santiponce/Camas area.
I ride to and from Santiponce almost every Saturday. There are protected paths on either side of the SE30 ring road for cyclists and pedestrians. These connect to our network of urban cycleways. I can't imagine how you could have missed them. There is also a dirt road used by pilgrims following the Ruta de la Plata, which goes from Seville to Santiponce and is clearly marked with arrows and signs

It sounds like you were in a complete fog when you came through here. Perhaps you were suffering from culture shock.
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 05:08 AM   #112
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Bikes:
Posts: 9,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
It sounds like you were in a complete fog when you came through here. Perhaps you were suffering from culture shock.
It's entirely possible. I actually quite liked the city centre. Set aside an entire day to explore it and could have spent more time there. The Alcázar was particularly impressive.

I'm just glad the "fog" eventually cleared.
Chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 05:13 AM   #113
Ekdog
Senior Member
 
Ekdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seville, Spain
Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
Posts: 4,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris L View Post
It's entirely possible. I actually quite liked the city centre. Set aside an entire day to explore it and could have spent more time there. The Alcázar was particularly impressive.

I'm just glad the "fog" eventually cleared.
Yes, the city centre is lovely. I'm glad you were able to see it.

If any other visitors to this subforum pass through Seville, be sure to look me up. I'd be delighted to show you around.
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 06:31 AM   #114
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
Yes, the city centre is lovely. I'm glad you were able to see it.

If any other visitors to this subforum pass through Seville, be sure to look me up. I'd be delighted to show you around.
It must be amazing to live in such an historic and beautiful city. I wish I could come to see it. If it's not too personal, how did you come to live there?
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 06:53 AM   #115
Ekdog
Senior Member
 
Ekdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seville, Spain
Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
Posts: 4,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
It must be amazing to live in such an historic and beautiful city. I wish I could come to see it. If it's not too personal, how did you come to live there?
Cherchez la femme!

Many years ago, I met my future wife, who was travelling with a group of friends, sevillanas all, in Peñíscola, Castellón (where Anthony Mann filmed parts of El Cid, with Charleton Heston and Sophia Loren). I told them that I hadn't had a very favorable impression of their city when I'd visited it in mid-August (40ºC temps., too many cars...).

They insisted that I pay a return visit in spring. I did and...
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 07:14 AM   #116
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
Cherchez la femme!

Many years ago, I met my future wife, who was travelling with a group of friends, sevillanas all, in Peñíscola, Castellón (where Anthony Mann filmed parts of El Cid, with Charleton Heston and Sophia Loren). I told them that I hadn't had a very favorable impression of their city when I'd visited it in mid-August (40ºC temps., too many cars...).

They insisted that I pay a return visit in spring. I did and...
I figured it was something like that!
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:12 AM.