Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-14, 05:11 PM   #26
Walter S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA. USA
Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker
Posts: 3,049
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Been a vegetarian for 38 years and counting (started at 15). I disagree with those that say you don't need more calories. That would only be true if you're going to do something else just as intense if you don't ride.

I estimate my riding burns about 5000 calories per week. And my diet is around 2800 per day. So I guess my food budget is about 25% spent on bicycling. But that's not a cost. I'm committed to fitness and would do other very active things too (and do, but I do love to ride).

Neat to see so many veggie responders.
Walter S is offline  
Old 01-09-14, 05:19 PM   #27
Walter S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA. USA
Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker
Posts: 3,049
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
And oatmeal every day. But a 50 lb bag like the op? No. 1/3 cup steel cut oats, cooked in one cup soy milk, dried fruit, add sliced banana when done.

Edit: I'm 5'7, 145 lbs. It pays to be small sometimes

Last edited by Walter S; 01-09-14 at 05:23 PM.
Walter S is offline  
Old 01-09-14, 11:57 PM   #28
Ekdog
Senior Member
 
Ekdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seville, Spain
Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
Posts: 4,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)


Cycling and a plant-based diet are a great combo for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1546006_715180008507233_4951802_n.jpg (63.7 KB, 4 views)
Ekdog is offline  
Old 01-10-14, 12:26 AM   #29
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
Been a vegetarian for 38 years and counting (started at 15). I disagree with those that say you don't need more calories. That would only be true if you're going to do something else just as intense if you don't ride.

I estimate my riding burns about 5000 calories per week. And my diet is around 2800 per day. So I guess my food budget is about 25% spent on bicycling. But that's not a cost. I'm committed to fitness and would do other very active things too (and do, but I do love to ride).

Neat to see so many veggie responders.
If you do more than the average human you need to consume more food to provide that energy... problem is that many average humans eat even more than 2800 calories a day and don't pay enough attention to what they are eating.

I used to consume 4500 calories a day just to maintain weight when I was on rigorous commuting and training schedule and working extra shifts in a very strenuous job and that was to keep me at 145 pounds.
Sixty Fiver is offline  
Old 01-10-14, 03:27 AM   #30
Walter S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA. USA
Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker
Posts: 3,049
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
If you do more than the average human you need to consume more food to provide that energy... problem is that many average humans eat even more than 2800 calories a day and don't pay enough attention to what they are eating.

I used to consume 4500 calories a day just to maintain weight when I was on rigorous commuting and training schedule and working extra shifts in a very strenuous job and that was to keep me at 145 pounds.
interesting that I need so much less. I ride 40 miles round trip to work, plus errands and recreational riding. I'm very unscientific about the calorie count and might be off by a good bit. But not that much.

In practice I don't count calories. I quote figures based on some study years ago, and the assumption that my activity level and food intake has not changed much. I just eat my usual diet and watch the scale.
Walter S is offline  
Old 01-10-14, 08:57 AM   #31
memebag
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
And oatmeal every day. But a 50 lb bag like the op? No. 1/3 cup steel cut oats, cooked in one cup soy milk, dried fruit, add sliced banana when done.

Edit: I'm 5'7, 145 lbs. It pays to be small sometimes
Off topic - I love oatmeal. I use steel cut oats, too, but I cook 1 cup with 3 cups of water, then divide it into 4 servings and put it in the refrigerator. I also toast the oats in butter before I cook it, and I mix in whole milk, sugar and fresh ground cinnamon when I warm it up. It's the best oatmeal in the world.
memebag is offline  
Old 01-10-14, 09:34 AM   #32
Walter S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA. USA
Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker
Posts: 3,049
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by memebag View Post
Off topic - I love oatmeal. I use steel cut oats, too, but I cook 1 cup with 3 cups of water, then divide it into 4 servings and put it in the refrigerator. I also toast the oats in butter before I cook it, and I mix in whole milk, sugar and fresh ground cinnamon when I warm it up. It's the best oatmeal in the world.
It is isn't it? Such good food and good nutrition to be so cheap! I get Kansas Organic at the farmer's market for $1.19 a pound and then serve that up 1/3 cup at a time. As for butter and whole milk, more power to ya. Those are no nos for me. But there's a million ways to make oatmeal. That's the other great thing about it. And it helps to keep from getting tired of it I know for some people. Me, I can eat the same thing day after day if I like it and feel good about what it does for my health. I don't get tired of good food.
Walter S is offline  
Old 01-10-14, 10:01 AM   #33
memebag
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
I don't get tired of good food.
Yeah, it's weird. I've been eating this oatmeal for breakfast almost every morning for a few years now, and I still wake up excited to eat it again. My wife will back me up on its goodness. She says she can never eat anyone else's oatmeal again.
memebag is offline  
Old 01-10-14, 12:43 PM   #34
JReade
Senior Member
 
JReade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
I have to really watch my diet when I'm riding -- stop riding and my body still wants to eat like it needs regular cycling amounts of food. It takes willpower and careful self-observation to not overeat when not riding.
True story.. sometimes my work schedule will interfere with riding, and sometimes weather isn't the best for commuting, so I'll take a week off, and eat like I did the previous week. My Heart rate monitor says I burn about 550 calories each way, so -1000 calories per day commuting, or -5000 a week, not including the rest of the stuff I do.
JReade is offline  
Old 01-10-14, 03:53 PM   #35
wipekitty
fixed kitty!
 
wipekitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Western Wisconsin
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks to this thread, I have been inspired to bake my own bread. My first loaf turned out great!

Not only will this save us money, but it will eliminate my ongoing problem of trying to transport bread in my messenger bag without squishing it. Thanks, LCF!
wipekitty is offline  
Old 01-10-14, 05:02 PM   #36
Smallwheels
Senior Member
 
Smallwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: I'm in Hollywood California again.
Bikes: Xootr scooter
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It seems that one can eat all of the carbohydrates one desires and not get fat if one doesn't eat oils or any animal products. So if you eat a lot of beans, rice, potatoes, and other vegetables your food bill wouldn't necessarily be higher by very much. I love beans and rice together. I like rice with other things too. I can eat a really huge bowl of rice and vegetables or a lot of baked potatoes and not put on weight. I know this because I eat these regularly.

Unfortunately my favorite sweet potatoes cost 88 cents per pound. I like to chop these into cubes or thick longitudinal slices and put them in my pressure cooker. It only takes about twenty minutes for them to be ready to eat from start to finish. It's much faster than baking them. Even at this price they are much cheaper than any form of meat per pound. Bags of chicken parts are sometimes sold at about the same price but those have bones taking up a lot of the weight.

Bread is one of the most expensive things by weight. I don't eat it unless I'm out and can't cook for myself. It must take a lot of energy to make ones own bread.

One reason I really like my pressure cooker is it uses a tiny amount of energy. I just bought a 2 liter model that works at 15 pounds of pressure. It is the perfect size for me to make individual meals. I'm not saving money on energy because it is included in my rent. When I eventually move into my own place having such an energy saver will be important.

The biggest effect on my food bill was cutting down on eating meat. I had already stopped eating dairy long ago. If I totally cut out buying processed foods my food bill would be very small compared to many years ago.
Smallwheels is offline  
Old 01-10-14, 05:11 PM   #37
Spld cyclist 
Senior Member
 
Spld cyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Springfield, MA
Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wipekitty View Post
Thanks to this thread, I have been inspired to bake my own bread. My first loaf turned out great!

Not only will this save us money, but it will eliminate my ongoing problem of trying to transport bread in my messenger bag without squishing it. Thanks, LCF!
Good for you! Bread isn't all that difficult, but there is a time commitment. I used to cook four-loaf batches of whole wheat sandwich bread about every other week. I would put three loaves in the freezer and take them out one by one as needed. Somehow I got away from the schedule for a while, but I just bought a big container of Red Star yeast to inspire me to get back in the habit.
Spld cyclist is offline  
Old 01-10-14, 06:54 PM   #38
MEversbergII
Senior Member
 
MEversbergII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lexington Park, Maryland
Bikes: 2012 Schwinn Trailway, Early 70's All Pro, Trek 1200
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post
It only takes about twenty minutes for them to be ready to eat from start to finish. It's much faster than baking them.
Try microwaving them for about 8 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post
Bags of chicken parts are sometimes sold at about the same price but those have bones taking up a lot of the weight.
When the butcher gives you bones, make bone broth!

M.
MEversbergII is offline  
Old 01-10-14, 07:20 PM   #39
Smallwheels
Senior Member
 
Smallwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: I'm in Hollywood California again.
Bikes: Xootr scooter
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
Try microwaving them for about 8 minutes.

M.
I don't use microwave ovens.
Smallwheels is offline  
Old 01-10-14, 08:26 PM   #40
cycleobsidian
cycleobsidian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post
It seems that one can eat all of the carbohydrates one desires and not get fat if one doesn't eat oils or any animal products. So if you eat a lot of beans, rice, potatoes, and other vegetables your food bill wouldn't necessarily be higher by very much. I love beans and rice together. I like rice with other things too. I can eat a really huge bowl of rice and vegetables or a lot of baked potatoes and not put on weight. I know this because I eat these regularly.

The biggest effect on my food bill was cutting down on eating meat. I had already stopped eating dairy long ago. If I totally cut out buying processed foods my food bill would be very small compared to many years ago.
This is pretty much how I eat as well. Going on 12 years. I have no problems remaining slim and all the beans and potatoes I eat keeps the grocery bill low.
cycleobsidian is offline  
Old 01-10-14, 10:43 PM   #41
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day
Thread Starter
 
lasauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado Springs
Bikes:
Posts: 746
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Pretty interesting reading everyone's responses, so far it looks like carb-heavy diets are the common element here.

@memebag and walter - how do you two cook your steel-cut oats? I've tried cooking those overnight in a crockpot, but they always turn out like mush for me, so I've stuck to the much more convenient 'quick' oats that I make first thing when I get up in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wipekitty View Post
Thanks to this thread, I have been inspired to bake my own bread. My first loaf turned out great!
I agree with Spld, congratulations! Making delicious bread isn't nearly as hard as many people assume, the process only becomes difficult when you're aiming for absolute perfection of crust, crumb, and flavor.
lasauge is offline  
Old 01-10-14, 11:28 PM   #42
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,732
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasauge View Post
I agree with Spld, congratulations! Making delicious bread isn't nearly as hard as many people assume, the process only becomes difficult when you're aiming for absolute perfection of crust, crumb, and flavor.
No-knead bread is easy, and close to perfect. You must bake the loaf in a heavy Dutch oven with a lid that can take a lot of heat. It takes about ten minutes to make, but 12 to 18 hours of proofing time. I just use Mark Bitman's recipe from the Times, but substitute a 12 ounce can of mild lager beer (like PBR or Budweiser) for part of the water in Mark's recipe.


http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/di...mrex.html?_r=0
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 01-10-14, 11:44 PM   #43
Smallwheels
Senior Member
 
Smallwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: I'm in Hollywood California again.
Bikes: Xootr scooter
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have never cooked oats. I have read that Roman soldiers lived on this stuff and it kept them strong. Oats were also said to be one of the best meals for young children. Another thing the story said is that one must have a dedicated pot to cook them because some of the oats will permanently stick to the pot.
Smallwheels is offline  
Old 01-11-14, 03:11 AM   #44
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,732
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post
I have never cooked oats. I have read that Roman soldiers lived on this stuff and it kept them strong. Oats were also said to be one of the best meals for young children. Another thing the story said is that one must have a dedicated pot to cook them because some of the oats will permanently stick to the pot.
I don't know about the roman soldiers but you can definitely wash the pan.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 01-11-14, 06:15 AM   #45
Walter S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA. USA
Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker
Posts: 3,049
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasauge View Post
@memebag and walter - how do you two cook your steel-cut oats? I've tried cooking those overnight in a crockpot, but they always turn out like mush for me, so I've stuck to the much more convenient 'quick' oats that I make first thing when I get up in the morning.
I bring the mix to a slow boil and cut down the heat to where it is just barely bubbling. Stir it every 5 minutes for a total of 15.
Walter S is offline  
Old 01-11-14, 06:23 AM   #46
Walter S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA. USA
Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker
Posts: 3,049
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post
Another thing the story said is that one must have a dedicated pot to cook them because some of the oats will permanently stick to the pot.
Not true. After pouring the contents into a bowl, fill the pot with *cold* water. Let it stand a while (or all day) and the pot is pretty easy to wipe clean. I also use my stirring spoon to clear particles stuck to the bottom every 5 minutes and when completely done before serving.
Walter S is offline  
Old 01-11-14, 08:49 AM   #47
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, I just use regular oats, 1/3 cup and put that in a bowl with some blueberries, then pour some water in and swish it around to get all the extra dust and the dirt off the berries and then drain the water. Oatmeal doesn't need to be cooked.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline  
Old 01-11-14, 09:50 AM   #48
plustax
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Bikes: 90's Campione,90's trek multitrack,2005 trek 3700
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always thought it was a PITA to cook oats. My breakfest is a cup or two of oats with fruit and peanut butter (the butter only goes in sometimes, since it's pretty calorie dense).
plustax is offline  
Old 01-11-14, 10:20 AM   #49
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes
Posts: 4,288
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post
It seems that one can eat all of the carbohydrates one desires and not get fat if one doesn't eat oils or any animal products.
I eat a lot of fats, oils and animal products and I am very lean and slim. I can eat 3000 calories worth of food, most of it animal products and still have a hard time gaining a lot of weight.
It's been proven that the best way to loose weight is to follow a high fat-moderate protein-low carb diet..... High carbohadrate, low-fat vegetarian diets are not healthy because they spike your insulin a lot and will eventually lead to nutritional defeciencies, diabetes and obesity. I am not making this up, there is actually science behind it. Do a search and you'll find out.
wolfchild is offline  
Old 01-11-14, 10:32 AM   #50
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes
Posts: 4,288
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post
I have read that Roman soldiers lived on this stuff and it kept them strong..
The most fierce and strong warriors in history of the world were the Mongols and they lived on dairy products with meat and not oatmeal or beans.
wolfchild is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:03 PM.