Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-26-14, 06:33 AM   #51
phoebeisis
New Orleans
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Least of all fat men (or women) who aren't already used to riding some sort of bicycle.
Yes it is unlikely someone -not already a rider-will up and buy a $1000 bike-zero chance really.
It will be tough-impossible probably- to get older "not riders" to ride.
I guess I'm thinking ahead- with forum members in mind maybe-when you folks become older fatter gimpier-
Of course it won't happen to me-but I certainly see that in your future-
Generous soul that I am- I'm looking out for you folks!!

Yes I can see it- I-Like-To-Trike

PS Economics-depression- or a huge increase in energy prices- is about the only thing that would change our transportation habits- becoming as poor as folks in China 1980 or so.
phoebeisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-14, 06:43 AM   #52
phoebeisis
New Orleans
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trike_guy View Post
Its not going to happen. Small market, expensive, stigmatized.

For what its worth, my two cargo trikes are at least $2500 each, and I doubt there are many quality options for much less.
Thanks-figured they were pricy , but not THAT pricy-the one I sold used-2006 for $2000 ebay- was $2800 new-and it was very nice-probably not state of art-no CF no Titanium -but very good quality-no cheap outs.

I still see those cheap ones-$150-$300 used on CL-typical 1970's type upright trikes-maybe $500 new? Guessing they are 50lbs or so-and tough to get thru doorway.
phoebeisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-14, 08:13 AM   #53
Ekdog
Senior Member
 
Ekdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seville, Spain
Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
Posts: 4,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
They are sitting down...
Yes, the fact that they're sitting down on the bike means they're able to take a load off of their joints, a big advantage.
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-14, 10:47 AM   #54
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trike_guy View Post
Its not going to happen. Small market, expensive, stigmatized.
In regards to trikes for adults your responses are true, true, true and true.

PS, I think that even children in the U.S. don't ride tricycles anymore, as the HotWheels, BigWheels 3 wheel configuration are much cheaper and safer, and from what I can tell, more fun for the children as they can whip around corners faster without turning over.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-14, 02:52 PM   #55
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
Thanks-figured they were pricy , but not THAT pricy-the one I sold used-2006 for $2000 ebay- was $2800 new-and it was very nice-probably not state of art-no CF no Titanium -but very good quality-no cheap outs.

I still see those cheap ones-$150-$300 used on CL-typical 1970's type upright trikes-maybe $500 new? Guessing they are 50lbs or so-and tough to get thru doorway.
My grandma had one of those big trikes that she rode around the small village she lived in. Us grandkids would ride it when we visited. It was fun as a novelty, but too sedate for ongoing fun for a young person.

There was a guy in his 70s who rode an upright trike for several years in this city. I would see him frequently at distant points around town. My estimate was that he must have ridden that trike at least 20 miles a day to get to all the different places I saw him. He seemed to ride mostly on the MUP, but I also saw him riding on sidewalks.

I'm sure you know that those recumbent trikes are high performance vehicles. In some circumstances they're faster than the best diamond frame racing bikes. They're especially fast going downhill or into a headwind. The upright "adult trikes", on the other hand, are possibly the very slowest pedal vehicles in existence.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-14, 03:48 PM   #56
trike_guy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oslo, Norway
Bikes:
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
PS, I think that even children in the U.S. don't ride tricycles anymore
But three wheels is still what it takes for a real cargo cycle.
trike_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-14, 04:21 PM   #57
phoebeisis
New Orleans
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
My grandma had one of those big trikes that she rode around the small village she lived in. Us grandkids would ride it when we visited. It was fun as a novelty, but too sedate for ongoing fun for a young person.

There was a guy in his 70s who rode an upright trike for several years in this city. I would see him frequently at distant points around town. My estimate was that he must have ridden that trike at least 20 miles a day to get to all the different places I saw him. He seemed to ride mostly on the MUP, but I also saw him riding on sidewalks.

I'm sure you know that those recumbent trikes are high performance vehicles. In some circumstances they're faster than the best diamond frame racing bikes. They're especially fast going downhill or into a headwind. The upright "adult trikes", on the other hand, are possibly the very slowest pedal vehicles in existence.
Right-frontal area and CD- determine top speed-so recumbent-huge advantage-guessing you can fair a trike

Yeah the old timer upright trikes are slow-but still 2x-3x walking speed same effort-
and with a big basket you can haul a BIG LOAD- no problem
An older person can't haul 25-50 lbs of dog food home-walking even 1/2 mile
Same story 25 lbs- 2 bags of groceries-too much for a 70 yo to haul 1/2 mile on foot-but nothing on a trike

But the PRICE means they are a no go for now.
phoebeisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-14, 04:28 PM   #58
trike_guy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oslo, Norway
Bikes:
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
The upright "adult trikes", on the other hand, are possibly the very slowest pedal vehicles in existence.
They make upright racing trikes, by the way. For example the guy here http://pedal-trikes.blogspot.no/ has been writing a long blog about wandering around on his. (The oldest posts give more relevant info about that type of machine.) But probably you made your comment without realizing anyone would think of building such a thing.

Also, you make it sound way too dramatic with the speed there. Most riders on three wheels are slow. A fit rider who is willing to learn the fine art of trike balance at speed, and then put some muscle into it, is going to do just fine getting around. It also may be the case that most upright trikes are heavy, but that is not because they have to be heavy. Those upright racing trikes are quite light. My cargo trikes actually weigh less than standard Dutch cargo bikes, as far as I know. So, I don't expect trikes to take over, ever, but the concept of three wheels is not so hopeless as you might think.
trike_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-14, 04:43 PM   #59
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trike_guy View Post
They make upright racing trikes, by the way. For example the guy here http://pedal-trikes.blogspot.no/ has been writing a long blog about wandering around on his. (The oldest posts give more relevant info about that type of machine.) But probably you made your comment without realizing anyone would think of building such a thing.

Also, you make it sound way too dramatic with the speed there. Most riders on three wheels are slow. A fit rider who is willing to learn the fine art of trike balance at speed, and then put some muscle into it, is going to do just fine getting around. It also may be the case that most upright trikes are heavy, but that is not because they have to be heavy. Those upright racing trikes are quite light. My cargo trikes actually weigh less than standard Dutch cargo bikes, as far as I know. So, I don't expect trikes to take over, ever, but the concept of three wheels is not so hopeless as you might think.
I'm sorry to give the wrong impression that I think trikes--upright or 'bent--are hopeless. I think they're great machines and there will always be a niche market for them.

I read somewhere that recumbents, including trikes, would be the main "bike" used in racing, if they were allowed. Is that true?
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-14, 10:37 PM   #60
trike_guy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oslo, Norway
Bikes:
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
I read somewhere that recumbents, including trikes, would be the main "bike" used in racing, if they were allowed. Is that true?
Actually I don't know anything about recumbents... not my particular fascination. I think they look kinda goofy.
trike_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-14, 10:51 PM   #61
wipekitty
fixed kitty!
 
wipekitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Western Wisconsin
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let's not forget that a recumbent trike rider recently became the first person to bike to the South Pole!

I actually think that a trike might be kind of awesome for winter riding. One of the year-round riders here in town has one, and it always looks very...safe.
wipekitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 08:10 AM   #62
trike_guy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oslo, Norway
Bikes:
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wipekitty View Post
I actually think that a trike might be kind of awesome for winter riding. One of the year-round riders here in town has one, and it always looks very...safe.
Well! Turns out that I am also a year rounder, and currently doing that on a trike (a Nihola) because it helps makes things smooth with picking up and dropping off kids. (Bad mood this morning? Who cares, into the box and we're going!)

I'd say it actually is pretty safe, and not usually too slow, though there are tradeoffs. There is more rolling resistance breaking three tire tracks through snow, but also no problem with stability on a shifting base. There is no problem slipping and falling, but at least on a tadpole trike there is less weight (as a percentage) on the powered tire, making it easier to spin. (For that reason, I use pannier bags and leave the box empty while in commute mode.) You can use the front brakes aggressively (on a tadpole) but its also possible to slide sideways without that being the idea (for example when locking the rear tire). Also three wheels can mean benefiting less from other bikes breaking trail, and its heavier to move around by pushing, pulling or lifting... but you get off the saddle less because you can often rock and dig through spots at speeds too low for a 2-wheeler.
trike_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 08:16 AM   #63
Ekdog
Senior Member
 
Ekdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seville, Spain
Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
Posts: 4,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Trike Guy, could you post a photo or two of your trike?
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 09:55 AM   #64
Zedoo
Entropy on Wheels
 
Zedoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The Geography of Nowhere
Bikes: several
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
3 pages in, I notice the topic is a yes/no question. Yes.
Zedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 04:34 PM   #65
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trike_guy View Post
Well! Turns out that I am also a year rounder, and currently doing that on a trike (a Nihola) because it helps makes things smooth with picking up and dropping off kids. (Bad mood this morning? Who cares, into the box and we're going!)

I'd say it actually is pretty safe, and not usually too slow, though there are tradeoffs. There is more rolling resistance breaking three tire tracks through snow, but also no problem with stability on a shifting base. There is no problem slipping and falling, but at least on a tadpole trike there is less weight (as a percentage) on the powered tire, making it easier to spin. (For that reason, I use pannier bags and leave the box empty while in commute mode.) You can use the front brakes aggressively (on a tadpole) but its also possible to slide sideways without that being the idea (for example when locking the rear tire). Also three wheels can mean benefiting less from other bikes breaking trail, and its heavier to move around by pushing, pulling or lifting... but you get off the saddle less because you can often rock and dig through spots at speeds too low for a 2-wheeler.
That's very good information! I wish it was in a thread about trikes so it would be more easily accessible to people with an interest in trikes.

In fact I think I will start a trike thread. Would you be willing to participate? And maybe paste this post into the new thread?
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 08:42 PM   #66
gerv 
In the right lane
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed
Posts: 9,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wipekitty View Post
Let's not forget that a recumbent trike rider recently became the first person to bike to the South Pole!
That is so amazing! It's hard to believe what people do on these things.

gerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 11:48 PM   #67
trike_guy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oslo, Norway
Bikes:
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
Trike Guy, could you post a photo or two of your trike?
OK, here are two I like. For those that are particularly interested, I also have a blog with the name that I have in my signature.



Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3239.jpg (103.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg N8_00028_03062011.jpg (100.0 KB, 13 views)
trike_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 11:51 PM   #68
Ekdog
Senior Member
 
Ekdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seville, Spain
Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
Posts: 4,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trike_guy View Post
OK, here are two I like. For those that are particularly interested, I also have a blog with the name that I have in my signature.
Nice! If only I had somewhere to store one of those (and the €€€ to buy one)...

If you click on the thumbnails you get a bigger image.

Last edited by Ekdog; 02-27-14 at 11:54 PM.
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-14, 08:51 PM   #69
jbibm
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are many factors that going into living a car-less lifestyle. The most significant factor is location. Within the U.S. it's often easier to live without a car if you're closer to the center of the city with a dense network of streets and land-uses that compliment the shorter trips. Higher densities also support walking and bicycling - think NYC vs. LA.

I recently moved to Montana from Portland, OR, and I can attest that it is much more difficult and frustrating to live without a car here than downtown Portland. I find that everything is far apart and the transit system is often not the cost-effective choice. Once I get to where I need to go it's often difficult to find a place to park my bicycle and the network of wide arterial streets invite fast-moving automobile traffic.

In short ... yes, where you live has a significant impact on car-free living.
jbibm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 02:23 AM   #70
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbibm View Post
. Once I get to where I need to go it's often difficult to find a place to park my bicycle....
Do you have a cable type lock? If so, it's easy to lock to a railing, signpost, tree, even a sewer grate. I have never had trouble finding a place to lock a bike.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 04:06 AM   #71
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 45,737
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
Do you have a cable type lock? If so, it's easy to lock to a railing, signpost, tree, even a sewer grate. I have never had trouble finding a place to lock a bike.
Not always allowed.

There are even places over here where we're not allowed to lean our bicycles up against the exterior walls of buildings.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 04:33 AM   #72
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
Not always allowed.

There are even places over here where we're not allowed to lean our bicycles up against the exterior walls of buildings.
Like I said, I never had a problem. YMMV.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 06:55 AM   #73
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
I read somewhere that recumbents, including trikes, would be the main "bike" used in racing, if they were allowed. Is that true?
Recumbent's were banned from racing in 1934 by the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) after Francis Faure used it to set a record for distance ridden in an hour. Faure was 43 and considered a second rate cyclist. It wasn't until 41 years later at the First International Human Powered Speed Championship that recumbents found a venue and immediately dominated it.

Even at what was the beginning toward the current International Human Powered Speed Challenge at Battle Mountain where the speed of 83.13 mph was achieved, recumbents were unassailably faster. Some people tried to ride a standard diamond frame bike with an aerodynamic shell, but the recumbents, in their renaissance, were consistently faster.

__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 03-31-14 at 07:07 AM.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 08:41 AM   #74
Weatherby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Bikes: Too many
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes.

Car-free would be impossible for where I live and my responsibilities.
Weatherby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:49 AM.