Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 148
  1. #76
    In the right lane gerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Posts
    9,272
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
    Another thing that conditioner helps with is if someone throws your sweater in the dryer, soak it in conditioner and then dry it by blocking out. It may never get all the way back to its original size, but I have restored a few.
    My grandmother taught me about this. It has worked for me.
    Thanks, shipwreck. I'm gonna give this a shot. I have a couple of tight sweaters...

  2. #77
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic
    My Bikes
    Too many
    Posts
    548
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Fenders
    2. Be able to fix a broken spoke, broken chain, flats (plural), tighten every bolt on the bike, and boot a tire.
    3. Goretex sort of keeps you dry
    4. Wool warmish when wet and doesn't stink like poly shirts do
    5. Lights and reflectors
    6. In the deep South, a CCW.

  3. #78
    In the right lane gerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Posts
    9,272
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby View Post
    6. In the deep South, a CCW.
    OMG! I had to google this.

  4. #79
    Senior Member DiamondDave247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    My Bikes
    2011 GT Avalanche
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One piece of advice for going car-free...

    Purchase some "peace of mind" to protect your primary ride!...If necessary.

    When I went car-free, I realized I would be forced to park and lock my "mid-range priced" ($900 with tire upgrade and accessories) bike in some rather sketchy areas with high bike thefts. I decided it would probably be a good idea to purchase a cheap 2nd "beater" bike that I could leave in these high risk areas instead. I actually found a decent bike on Craigslist with some nice components for only $150. A second bike is also great as a back-up emergency plan should your primary bike have an unexpected flat or sudden mechanical breakdown.

    Although I still try to secure my beater bike with multiple locks when I need to park it for any length of time,...if it should be stolen, it will be much easier and cheaper to replace than my primary ride. The way I see it, I spend a little now so I don't have to spend a lot more later.
    2011 GT Avalanche 1.0 Hyd Disc ~ 2008 GT Avalanche 1.0 Hyd Disc ~ 1997 GT Ricochet ~ 1993 Lotus Pro Series 3000M

  5. #80
    In the right lane gerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Posts
    9,272
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDave247 View Post

    Purchase some "peace of mind" to protect your primary ride!...If necessary.
    The problem with my beater bike is that I've gradually added a lot of time and money into upgrading it. Beaters are great but it's hard to resist upgrading.

    Insurance is another option. Last time I checked (maybe 8 years ago...) insurance was running around $60 a year. But guessing it's quite a bit more nowadays.

  6. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Decatur, GA. USA
    My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker
    Posts
    1,149
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDave247 View Post
    The way I see it, I spend a little now so I don't have to spend a lot more later.
    You spend a little now to prevent the hypothetical need to spend more later - a need that may or may not arise. For me, I just have one bike. I don't want to compromise with a beater bike that doesn't have the various things that make the ride practical and comfortable for me. If I bought a beater and rode that I would always be missing my real ride and its amenities. So I know already that I would probably keep adding stuff to the beater, so it becomes less and less "beaten".

    A trap to be less than frugal and simple. I'll just protect my good ride best I can.

  7. #82
    Captain Big Ring tractorlegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Locked by the Door
    My Bikes
    The Black Knight
    Posts
    2,727
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
    You spend a little now to prevent the hypothetical need to spend more later - a need that may or may not arise. For me, I just have one bike. I don't want to compromise with a beater bike that doesn't have the various things that make the ride practical and comfortable for me. If I bought a beater and rode that I would always be missing my real ride and its amenities. So I know already that I would probably keep adding stuff to the beater, so it becomes less and less "beaten".

    A trap to be less than frugal and simple. I'll just protect my good ride best I can.
    Probably need to update your settings - you have two listed there
    Forum Moderator
    Community Guidelines

    ****************************************

  8. #83
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,814
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerv View Post
    Insurance is another option. Last time I checked (maybe 8 years ago...) insurance was running around $60 a year. But guessing it's quite a bit more nowadays.
    Yep. More like $60/week now.

  9. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Decatur, GA. USA
    My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker
    Posts
    1,149
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tractorlegs View Post
    Probably need to update your settings - you have two listed there
    True, I got rid of the cannondale after the surly was broken in and I realized I didn't need it.

  10. #85
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,540
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    Yep. More like $60/week now.
    For just insuring bicycles?

  11. #86
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,814
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    For just insuring bicycles?
    Over here insuring bicycles is not cheap. I'm not sure what it actually is ... probably not quite that much ... but the last time we looked I figured we'd be better off just putting a couple hundred a month away in a bank account.

  12. #87
    Senior Member DiamondDave247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    My Bikes
    2011 GT Avalanche
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Purchasing a 2nd "beater bike",...acquiring bike insurance,...starting a savings account just in case of theft,...or as "Walter S" simply stated: "...protect my good ride (as) best I can..."

    Different strokes for different folks.

    All good advice for preparing for the "hypothetical" loss of your primary bicycle. Like most types of insurance,...its better to have a plan and not need it, than the other way around...

    'nuff sed. Peace.
    2011 GT Avalanche 1.0 Hyd Disc ~ 2008 GT Avalanche 1.0 Hyd Disc ~ 1997 GT Ricochet ~ 1993 Lotus Pro Series 3000M

  13. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Decatur, GA. USA
    My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker
    Posts
    1,149
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    Over here insuring bicycles is not cheap. I'm not sure what it actually is ... probably not quite that much ... but the last time we looked I figured we'd be better off just putting a couple hundred a month away in a bank account.
    That's the best kind of insurance! Then when everything turns out OK and you don't need the insurance, you get to spend the premiums like you want to instead of see that money kept by your insurance company.

  14. #89
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,540
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    Over here insuring bicycles is not cheap. I'm not sure what it actually is ... probably not quite that much ... but the last time we looked I figured we'd be better off just putting a couple hundred a month away in a bank account.
    You ain't kidding that $60/week for insuring only bicycles isn't cheap!
    Heck, I pay half that amount for homeowner's/fire, automobile and personal liability insurance combined which covers bicycle theft and personal injury while cycling, as well as a multitude of far more financially disastrous possibilities.
    Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 08-29-14 at 02:16 PM.

  15. #90
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,540
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
    That's the best kind of insurance! Then when everything turns out OK and you don't need the insurance, you get to spend the premiums like you want to instead of see that money kept by your insurance company.
    The purpose of insurance is as an affordable hedge against the risk of unaffordable financial disaster.

    I suppose if someone can afford to lose everything due to fate or bad luck, or doesn't care about the future, or has nothing of much financial value to lose, or likes to gamble, self insurance makes sense.

  16. #91
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Decatur, GA. USA
    My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker
    Posts
    1,149
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    The purpose of insurance is as an affordable hedge against the risk of unaffordable financial disaster.

    I suppose if someone can afford to lose everything due to fate or bad luck, or doesn't care about the future, or has nothing of much financial value to lose, or likes to gamble, self insurance makes sense.
    In this case the insurance is for the bicycle. It's not there to cover you against losing "everything". It's there to cover against losing the bicycle. I keep enough in savings to cover me for that specific loss. OTOH I don't keep enough savings to replace my house, so I have house insurance.

  17. #92
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,540
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
    In this case the insurance is for the bicycle. It's not there to cover you against losing "everything". It's there to cover against losing the bicycle. I keep enough in savings to cover me for that specific loss. OTOH I don't keep enough savings to replace my house, so I have house insurance.
    Makes sense to me; spending $60/wk ($3,000+ per year, every year!) to insure a few good bicycles no matter how expensive, does not.
    I suspect Machka has her numbers mixed up. Maybe $60 for six months of coverage sounds right.

  18. #93
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,814
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    Makes sense to me; spending $60/wk ($3,000+ per year, every year!) to insure a few good bicycles no matter how expensive, does not.
    I suspect Machka has her numbers mixed up. Maybe $60 for six months of coverage sounds right.
    It depends on how much the bicycle costs ... $10 per $100 worth of bicycle, perhaps. I'd have to look it up again.

  19. #94
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,540
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    It depends on how much the bicycle costs ... $10 per $100 worth of bicycle, perhaps. I'd have to look it up again.
    Are you insuring bikes with a total value of $30,000?

  20. #95
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $60 a week sounds insane. My insurance for almost $4k coverage is only $22 a month, that is with liability. I think the quote was $18 a month without liability. Reading my policy they cover specifically against theft of the whole bike are parts as long as it is more than your deductible. (can be as low as $100) I hope to never use it but it is nice to have. Velosurance is the broker and Markel is the insurance.

  21. #96
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,814
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by extraoneup View Post
    $60 a week sounds insane.
    You do realise I was employing hyperbole when I said $60/week ... right?


    It was a bit of a grumble at insurance companies.



    My point was that 10 years ago, I could insure a $3000 bicycle for something closer to gerv's $60/year in Canada ... actually, if I recall correctly it was an extra rider on my content insurance that amounted to about $150/year ... about $5/$100 value.

    But when I moved to Australia and looked into bicycle insurance, I was rather taken aback by the price. We've looked into it twice and both times the amount they were charging seemed quite outrageous. I don't recall the exact numbers because it has been a while since we've looked, but I mentioned $10/$100 value ... it might have been that or possibly up around $12 or $15/$100 value.

    When you're aiming to insure even half of your 17 bicycles ... that adds up!!

    Yes, we've kind of taken DiamondDave247's suggestion to the extreme.


    But if there's an Australian insurance company that will do $5/$100 value (or less), I'm interested!

  22. #97
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bundle errands might be my first answer. Plan for disasters/emergencies would also be near the top of my list of advice. But I think those are good advice in general, not just for the car free.

  23. #98
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,540
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    When you're aiming to insure even half of your 17 bicycles ... that adds up!!
    But you can only ride one at a time. Presumably the only way you could lose more than two of them is through a home burglary or fire which should be covered by homeowners insurance. Or is the plan for insuring all these bikes just another exercise in hyperbole?

  24. #99
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,814
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    But you can only ride one at a time. Presumably the only way you could lose more than two of them is through a home burglary or fire which should be covered by homeowners insurance. Or is the plan for insuring all these bikes just another exercise in hyperbole?
    Not all ... about half. And there's no plan, we've just looked into it a couple times.

  25. #100
    In the right lane gerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Posts
    9,272
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom View Post
    Plan for disasters/emergencies would also be near the top of my list of advice. But I think those are good advice in general, not just for the car free.
    When you are car-free, the planning is a little more critical. For example, I try to keep a minimum amount of food in the cupboard on the premise that some night I might arrive home tired and hungry.. and then a trip to the grocery store is needed. LIke you say, bundling errands, keeping minimum food and supplies... these are important to an existence where there's no car.

    Seems like car owners can be a little more serendipitous about these things.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •