Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 199
  1. #126
    Senior Member surreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,061
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    Because I feel that the readers of this list have a lot to gain by reading my thoughts on the threads that I choose to post. You got a problem with that?
    What do you stand to gain?

  2. #127
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,207
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surreal View Post
    What do you stand to gain?
    Take it up with the mods, if you think I need answer more of your snarky ankle biting.

  3. #128
    Senior Member surreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,061
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No snark intended; it was an earnest question, and I respect your decision to not answer.

  4. #129
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,154
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surreal View Post
    (Some of that minority aren't even car-free....)
    Just one quick comment before this thread gets closed ...

    We don't have to be car-free to post in this forum The forum description does not limit entry to "car-free", and there are no restrictions hiding this forum to all but sworn car-free participants.

    Anyone and everyone are free to post here for whatever reasons. And we aren't required to devulge our reasons if we don't want.

  5. #130
    Senior Member Ekdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seville, Spain
    My Bikes
    Brompton M6R and mountain bikes equipped for touring.
    Posts
    3,189
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    What are you talking about? There are zero threads about global warming or peak oil on the current index page of LCF. So, You have already won that battle.
    I happen to think those two topics are germane to carfree living. They've always been discussed in this subforum, at least they have been since I've been participating here. (Perhaps you can tell us if they ever have been officially off limits.) Why should they be verboten now? Just because a few science-phobic types react in an anally-retentive manner? They don't take kindly to folks bringing up other topics that put cars in a bad light, either, such as the link between vehicle exhaust and the asthma epidemic. Why don't they just avoid those threads when they do appear instead of raising such a stink? It's really that easy: if you aren't interested in a topic, don't read the thread.


    Gimme that car-free living!

  6. #131
    Senior Member surreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,061
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    Just one quick comment before this thread gets closed ...

    We don't have to be car-free to post in this forum The forum description does not limit entry to "car-free", and there are no restrictions hiding this forum to all but sworn car-free participants.

    Anyone and everyone are free to post here for whatever reasons. And we aren't required to devulge our reasons if we don't want.
    Understood, and agreed. (Although you did take my quote out of context.) I'm not currently car-free, but I'm hoping to "revert" soon. Further, I understand that ppl are free to post here, for whatever reasons (even secret ones), but we're also free to ask questions. I asked a question, but I didn't "require" anything at all from anyone. I was trying to clarify something; sorry if I offended anyone.

  7. #132
    Senior Member muzpuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Argentin (X-4) Colnago Super, +3 misc Bianchi Corsa Bikes
    Posts
    443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    Just one quick comment before this thread gets closed ...

    We don't have to be car-free to post in this forum The forum description does not limit entry to "car-free", and there are no restrictions hiding this forum to all but sworn car-free participants.

    Anyone and everyone are free to post here for whatever reasons. And we aren't required to devulge our reasons if we don't want.

    "Anyone and everyone are free to post here for whatever reasons" REALLY then why close the thread ????????????/
    Global Warming Is A Hoax

  8. #133
    Senior Member muzpuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Argentin (X-4) Colnago Super, +3 misc Bianchi Corsa Bikes
    Posts
    443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surreal View Post
    OK, so why would you assume that explanations and discussions are defensive in nature? And, if most ppl could care less, why do some ppl obsess on discrediting some ppl's discussions on their car-free motives?
    please .........people obsess over different color jello
    Global Warming Is A Hoax

  9. #134
    Senior Member surreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,061
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muzpuf View Post
    please .........people obsess over different color jello
    Ha. True enough. But, how about my other question:

    ...why would you assume that explanations and discussions are defensive in nature?

  10. #135
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,570
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was a nice thread. There was diversity of opinion discussed in a civil manner. Thank you, timmythology. It was nice while it lasted. Then the disrupters came, as they usually do on an Internet forum....


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  11. #136
    Senior Member Jim from Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,086
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    This was a nice thread. There was diversity of opinion discussed in a civil manner. Thank you, timmythology. It was nice while it lasted. Then the disrupters came, as they usually do on an Internet forum....
    This thread became hard to follow, with long diatribes seemingly about a utopian car-free culture. Id like to add an abstract and perhaps oblique favorite quote of mine from the National Lampoon humor magazine in the 1970s by Paul Kassner, No one wants the Revolution to start until they get a real nice stereo.

  12. #137
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,154
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
    This thread became hard to follow, with long diatribes seemingly about a utopian car-free culture. I’d like to add an abstract and perhaps oblique favorite quote of mine from the National Lampoon humor magazine in the 1970s by Paul Kassner, “No one wants the Revolution to start until they get a real nice stereo.”


    +1!!


  13. #138
    Senior Member Jim from Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,086
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post


    +1!!

    Thanks for your encouraging reply; I posted with some trepidation.

  14. #139
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,154
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
    Thanks for your encouraging reply; I posted with some trepidation.
    I like your posts.

  15. #140
    Senior Member Ekdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seville, Spain
    My Bikes
    Brompton M6R and mountain bikes equipped for touring.
    Posts
    3,189
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad the mods are showing some restraint in not shutting this down.
    Gimme that car-free living!

  16. #141
    Senior Member dynodonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,854
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
    I'm glad the mods are showing some restraint in not shutting this down.

    The Eye of Sauron must be looking elsewhere.

  17. #142
    Senior Member timmythology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Portland, Or
    My Bikes
    | Surly Disc-Trucker| unknown city bike |M80 Raleigh |09 Trek 1.2|
    Posts
    393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am just adding that I appreciate your feedback, and thoughts of this subject. Since this thread needs to end, I will leave you with this, which was captured on Tuesday during my commute home.

    Soft.JPG

  18. #143
    Administrator CbadRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    On the bridge with Picard
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    5,767
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
    The Eye of Sauron must be looking elsewhere.
    Nope. The nit-picky fights haven't gotten bad enough for the thread to implode yet. When they do, the thread will be closed.

    Also as a general forum PSA: The Ignore function is up and running so feel free to use it instead of resorting to nit-picky fights with other members that you may find irritating.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

  19. #144
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    4,125
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
    Nope. The nit-picky fights haven't gotten bad enough for the thread to implode yet. When they do, the thread will be closed.

    Also as a general forum PSA: The Ignore function is up and running so feel free to use it instead of resorting to nit-picky fights with other members that you may find irritating.
    Does the ignore feature just replace all of the poster's text with "Said something stupid" because that would be awesome.

  20. #145
    Administrator CbadRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    On the bridge with Picard
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    5,767
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    Does the ignore feature just replace all of the poster's text with "Said something stupid" because that would be awesome.
    I can send that to IB as a software update request.


    Edit: Thanks for the new signature quote.
    Last edited by CbadRider; 03-13-14 at 09:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

  21. #146
    Randomhead
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12,641
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    Does the ignore feature just replace all of the poster's text with "Said something stupid" because that would be awesome.
    I have a grease monkey script that works on certain websites and blocks particular posters. The really cool thing is that if someone responds to someone you are ignoring, that post gets hidden too. I will have to think about modifying it for this place. Of course, as a mod I don't have anyone here on my ignore list, that would be wrong

  22. #147
    Senior Member Jim from Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,086
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmythology View Post
    I am just adding that I appreciate your feedback, and thoughts of this subject. Since this thread needs to end, I will leave you with this, which was captured on Tuesday during my commute home.

    Soft.JPG
    What is that, a skin lesion?

  23. #148
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    4,125
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
    What is that, a skin lesion?
    I think it's a plastic bag stuck in a tree.

  24. #149
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,207
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
    I have a grease monkey script that works on certain websites and blocks particular posters. The really cool thing is that if someone responds to someone you are ignoring, that post gets hidden too. I will have to think about modifying it for this place. Of course, as a mod I don't have anyone here on my ignore list, that would be wrong
    Here is a related idea for you to consider. When/if a poster describes/calls out in a post on this list another poster as a "troll" or similar disparaging term, the so-called "Troll" will automatically be put on the offended poster's ignore list without any means for the accuser to change the status.

  25. #150
    Senior Member Jim from Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,086
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    I think it's a plastic bag stuck in a tree.
    You're probabaly right. I thought it was a close up of hairy skin with an erosion.

    But what is the significance of the photo? It doesn't "speak to me."

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •