Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Fearless Isaiahc72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    My Bikes
    2014 Trek 7.1 FX, '95 Giant Attraction
    Posts
    262
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Do I count as Car-free or Car-light?

    I've never owned a car but I do sometimes ride in one with the rest of my family if we're all going somewhere as a family. Does this make me car-light? Or am I still qualified as car-free considering I don't own one?
    IC

  2. #2
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,804
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, a person is carfree if they live in a carfree household. Otherwise, they are carlight. A household is an economic unit, so roommates don't necessarily count as a household.

    Personally, I'm carlight myself. I was carfree for years until my son and his family moved in with me, along with their car. I still don't own a car, and I don't often ride in it. But most of the groceries and supplies are brought to the house in the car, so I'm far from carfree.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  3. #3
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,348
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take it on a day by day basis. If you don't use a car today, you are car-free today. If you employ a car today, but don't usually, you are car-light. If you own and use a car daily, then, you have a problem.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  4. #4
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,927
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one is really car-free. We all depend on motorised vehicles in some way.

    However, if for a particular trip, you opt to use an alternate method of transportation ... you are car-free for that particular trip.

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about two bikes and two motorcycles? Decided to ditch my car about seven months ago. So far, so good.

  6. #6
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,804
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    No one is really car-free. We all depend on motorised vehicles in some way.

    However, if for a particular trip, you opt to use an alternate method of transportation ... you are car-free for that particular trip.
    If somebody NEVER drives or rides in a car, by what strange reasoning do they depend on motorized transportation? Buses and semis are not cars!

    car
    kär/
    noun
    1. a road vehicle, typically with four wheels, powered by an internal combustion engine and able to carry a small number of people.
    "we're going by car"


    synonyms: automobile, motor vehicle, vehicle; More


    Origin
    late Middle English (in the general sense ‘wheeled vehicle’): from Old Northern French carre, based on Latin carrum, carrus, of Celtic origin.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  7. #7
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,804
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbuilder21 View Post
    How about two bikes and two motorcycles? Decided to ditch my car about seven months ago. So far, so good.
    That's fantastic!


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  8. #8
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,927
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    If somebody NEVER drives or rides in a car, by what strange reasoning do they depend on motorized transportation?
    Where does that person get their groceries ... their clothing ... their bicycle ... ?
    Where do the office supplies come from at work?

    These things don't just turn up by magic.

  9. #9
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,348
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    If somebody NEVER drives or rides in a car, by what strange reasoning do they depend on motorized transportation? Buses and semis are not cars!
    And what percent of the world's population would that be? Obscure natives in parts of Brazil or New Guinea maybe, but I'll guess that pretty much the rest of the world gets a chance to ride in a car at least once in their lifetime.

    Machka is correct.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  10. #10
    Formerly Known as Newbie Juha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,854
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    Where does that person get their groceries ... their clothing ... their bicycle ... ?
    Where do the office supplies come from at work?

    These things don't just turn up by magic.
    This.
    To err is human. To moo is bovine.

    Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?


    Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
    Community guidelines

  11. #11
    Senior Member Ekdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seville, Spain
    My Bikes
    Brompton M6R and mountain bikes equipped for touring.
    Posts
    3,359
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    And what percent of the world's population would that be? Obscure natives in parts of Brazil or New Guinea maybe, but I'll guess that pretty much the rest of the world gets a chance to ride in a car at least once in their lifetime.

    Machka is correct.
    In a sense, we're all dependent on motor vehicles, of course, but since this subforum is mostly concerned with personal transport and not the delivery of goods, the term "carfree" can be used more loosely. "Car ownership-free" might be more precise but is rather awkward. By not owning a car, you're free from a lot of things: car payments, insurance payments, the health problems associated with a sedentary car-centric lifestyle, and so on. You're much less likely to be involved in an "accident" that takes your own life or that of someone else.

    That's a lot of freedom. Give me that carfree living! I love the lifestyle and I love the word.
    Smug, bicycle-riding, car-bashing, public transport-using zealot.

  12. #12
    In the right lane gerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Posts
    9,295
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the OP: please don't get hung up on terms. What difference does it make to your life if you are car free or car light?

    Just try to avoid unnecessary motorized trips, don't own anything you don't need and go for a nice ride once in a while.

  13. #13
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,637
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerv View Post
    To the OP: please don't get hung up on terms. What difference does it make to your life if you are car free or car light?

    Just try to avoid unnecessary motorized trips, don't own anything you don't need and go for a nice ride once in a while.
    Good advice and not just for the OP.

    Also the OP (and others) should not get hung up on what other people proclaim is "unnecessary" for you, or what you do or don't "need."

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    5,012
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    Where does that person get their groceries ... their clothing ... their bicycle ... ?
    Where do the office supplies come from at work?

    These things don't just turn up by magic.
    Those items don't appear by magic, but their appearances don't involve the use of a car, at least in the case of my household/work. Under our current development scheme, most of them travel by barge, truck and/or rail at some point, but cars aren't generally involved in any of the distribution networks I have been involved with.

    Cars are mostly used to transport one person a relatively short distance. Regardless of the term one chooses to employ, anyone who takes steps to resist using a car to move themselves about is doing a good thing, IMO.

  15. #15
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    4,174
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I drive a semi-truck for personal transportation does that make me carfree?

  16. #16
    Senior Member Ekdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seville, Spain
    My Bikes
    Brompton M6R and mountain bikes equipped for touring.
    Posts
    3,359
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    If I drive a semi-truck for personal transportation does that make me carfree?
    In a sense, yes, but what's your point? Those of us who choose not to own motor vehicles are reliant on them for deliveries whether we like it or not. There's a movement afoot to have more goods distributed by cargo bike in my city. I'm a strong supporter of this.
    Last edited by Ekdog; 03-27-14 at 04:43 PM.
    Smug, bicycle-riding, car-bashing, public transport-using zealot.

  17. #17
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,927
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
    Those items don't appear by magic, but their appearances don't involve the use of a car, at least in the case of my household/work. Under our current development scheme, most of them travel by barge, truck and/or rail at some point, but cars aren't generally involved in any of the distribution networks I have been involved with.

    Cars are mostly used to transport one person a relatively short distance. Regardless of the term one chooses to employ, anyone who takes steps to resist using a car to move themselves about is doing a good thing, IMO.
    Within a city, small vans and sometimes even cars are used to transport goods. A van about the size Rowan and I have rolled up to my office the other day. When he opened the back, it was half full of bicycles in boxes and the other half was stationary supplies. He delivered stationary supplies to my office ... and presumably, one of his next stops was the Avanti shop up the road.

    On most farms and orchards, where food is produced, the people who work there drive utes or pick-up trucks ... passenger vehicles with a utility purpose to get around the farm or orchard and to haul stuff back and forth.

    Just a couple examples ... there are lots more.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Astrozombie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East L.A.(California)
    My Bikes
    Windsor Dover, Gravity Avenue
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This reminds me of the Agnostic/Atheist debate. If you don't own a car and rarely actually drive one TC then i say you are car-free, if the standards were that strict then no one would qualify.
    Assume nothing; Question everything

  19. #19
    Senior Member GodsBassist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Odenton, MD
    Posts
    661
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahc72 View Post
    I've never owned a car but I do sometimes ride in one with the rest of my family if we're all going somewhere as a family. Does this make me car-light? Or am I still qualified as car-free considering I don't own one?
    Asking 'am I car-free' is just beeeeeegging the question of what car-free actually is. Nobody on here will have the same answer to that. The fact is, though, that there's no club or certificate or secret handshake that you get access to because you meet the preconceived definition of what car-free is (or is there?).

    For what it's worth, if I were in your situation I'd consider myself car-free. From a practical point of view, though... it's just a term, who cares.

    On a more sarcastic i'm-going-to-pick-the-term-car-free-to-death-note I will never be car-free. Cars and car infrastructure dictate that I go to the grocery store 3 miles away instead of the one 1 mile away because of a crappy intersection that's not passable. It means I have to wait 3 minutes on average every day waiting for the same 'walk' light to change for me. I will always pay increased prices for goods at big box stores because they have to provide extra space for people to park their cars. When I order things on-line, the delivery truck is inevitably delayed due to traffic. #woeisme #imaslavetotheautomobile

  20. #20
    Senior Member loky1179's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Bikes
    2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns
    Posts
    364
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GodsBassist View Post
    Nobody on here will have the same answer to that. The fact is, though, that there's no club or certificate or secret handshake that you get access to. . . ..
    Uh oh . . You're telling me you didn't receive your certificate, and the attached instructions on how to perform the secret handshake?? That could be a problem. Lets just hope the moderators don't see this post. I won't tell them.

  21. #21
    Senior Member loky1179's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Bikes
    2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns
    Posts
    364
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahc72 View Post
    I've never owned a car but I do sometimes ride in one with the rest of my family if we're all going somewhere as a family. Does this make me car-light? Or am I still qualified as car-free considering I don't own one?

    Do YOU own a car? No.
    Do YOU control the rest of the world, and how cars are used by society at large? No.

    In my book, that makes you car free. Note: I also do not control the rest of the world, so my answer may not be the FINAL word!

  22. #22
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,804
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GodsBassist View Post
    Asking 'am I car-free' is just beeeeeegging the question of what car-free actually is. Nobody on here will have the same answer to that. The fact is, though, that there's no club or certificate or secret handshake that you get access to because you meet the preconceived definition of what car-free is (or is there?).

    For what it's worth, if I were in your situation I'd consider myself car-free. From a practical point of view, though... it's just a term, who cares.

    On a more sarcastic i'm-going-to-pick-the-term-car-free-to-death-note I will never be car-free. Cars and car infrastructure dictate that I go to the grocery store 3 miles away instead of the one 1 mile away because of a crappy intersection that's not passable. It means I have to wait 3 minutes on average every day waiting for the same 'walk' light to change for me. I will always pay increased prices for goods at big box stores because they have to provide extra space for people to park their cars. When I order things on-line, the delivery truck is inevitably delayed due to traffic. #woeisme #imaslavetotheautomobile
    Over the years I've been visiting this forum, I've tried at least twice to get people to agree on a working definition of commonly used words like carfree, carlight, and even "car" itself. It's been a big failure. I think by any definition, carfree and carlight people are independent thinkers who don't want to agree on definitions. So I have given up on the effort with no hard feelings.

    BTW, I agree that we all pay part of the price for other peoples' cars, even if we don't own one ourselves. Don't forget about taxes--a big chunk of the city and county budgets go to road construction and repairs. Those local revenues for roads usually come from property taxes and sales taxes, which carfree people pay at the same rates as car owners.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  23. #23
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,927
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Over the years I've been visiting this forum, I've tried at least twice to get people to agree on a working definition of commonly used words like carfree, carlight, and even "car" itself. It's been a big failure. I think by any definition, carfree and carlight people are independent thinkers who don't want to agree on definitions. So I have given up on the effort with no hard feelings.
    Yep ... no one here wants definitions. Definitions, like these, would only be used to accuse and ostracise.

  24. #24
    Has opinion, will express
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    13,032
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always said "free of car ownership". It balances out the notion that an individual is not reliant on a motor vehicle (with all the perceived benefits that may involve), yet may use one when required (with all the perceived benefits that​ may involve), and therefore means the fundamentalist doesn't get his hate knickers all twisted when someone admits they use a motor vehicle as part of their lives.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

  25. #25
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,804
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    I have always said "free of car ownership". It balances out the notion that an individual is not reliant on a motor vehicle (with all the perceived benefits that may involve), yet may use one when required (with all the perceived benefits that​ may involve), and therefore means the fundamentalist doesn't get his hate knickers all twisted when someone admits they use a motor vehicle as part of their lives.
    Takes too long to type.
    Last edited by Roody; 04-05-14 at 11:17 PM.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •