Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 167
  1. #1
    Senior Member Ekdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seville, Spain
    My Bikes
    Brompton M6R and mountain bikes equipped for touring.
    Posts
    3,328
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How does not owning a car set you free?

    How does not owning a car make you a freer person? Let us count the ways. I'd like to know your thoughts on this.
    Smug, car-bashing cyclist and public transport user.

  2. #2
    In the right lane gerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Posts
    9,273
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I don't consider myself free... or set free.

    I guess the bicycle gives me some freedom from car payments. It also gives me some freedom from the guilt of owning a car.

  3. #3
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,766
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being dependent on something is the opposite of being free of it.

    When I've had cars, they were a responsibility and a source of worry. Is it time to get the oil changed? Can I make it to work all week without buying gas? Is that front end noise going to cost me $500 or can I just ignore it? Is somebody trying to mess with my car or steal it?

    My stress level is lower without those car concerns, and that's a feeling of being "free" of worries.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  4. #4
    Living 'n Dying in -Time JBHoren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Greenacres, FL
    Posts
    423
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not owning a car (almost two years, now) has freed me -- aside from the initial and continuing financial costs of purchasing, running, maintaining, and insuring -- from "the tyranny of the auto". Specifically, from what has become the obligation to do the 101 things -- run errands, go here, drive there, do this, that, and everything else -- that having one's own transportation makes possible. Having a car can, certainly, be a help; but in terms of quality of life, it is equally a hindrance. I spent 25 adult-years in Israel -- all but 23 without a car -- commuting, shopping, socializing, and all the rest, and not having one enabled me to learn to prioritize what I did with my free time, and allowed me to live my life, for me. Suburban public transportation in the US -- and, even in many/most urban settings -- is marginal, at best; but it's doable... and what doesn't get done is often not so important, anyway.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ This is how I feel, too. Not owning a car also sets you free from not feeling as stressed as drivers, which could help your health by lowering your blood pressure; seeing drivers speed, cut corners, or turn quickly into their neighborhood, I can imagine how stressed they feel at that moment, hurriedly trying to do many things/ chores in their life.

  6. #6
    Senior Member MikeRides's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where the Detour takes me
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Detour 4.5
    Posts
    685
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    My stress level is lower without those car concerns, and that's a feeling of being "free" of worries.
    you could be just as stressful thinking of the same things that can happen to you or your bike. when you lock your bike out front of a store. do you not worry about someone cutting your chain and riding off on it. Or some punk stealing your seat or wheels? deflating your tires? loosening your handlebars? how about riding on the roads, do you ever think about that tired long haul truck driver or drunk driver coming up behind you riding over the fog line? Riding through a sketchy neighborhood do you often wonder how vulnerable you are on a bike compared to if you were in a car? how about riding in the rain during the colder months, moreso as you get older, do you think about your chances of catching pneumonia?
    "Just ride it until the wheels fall off!"

  7. #7
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,339
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
    How does not owning a car make you a freer person? Let us count the ways. I'd like to know your thoughts on this.
    It changes the cage.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  8. #8
    New Orleans
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,528
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guessing it would be tougher if you have pets
    We live suburb of NOLA- 1,2 dogs 4-5 indoor cats-have HUGE used gas guzzling SUV-
    if we didn't have all the pets the 2nd car would have been a small actual car with double the mpg

    A taxi will allow a cat in a carrier-do any allow big dogs?
    There must be dog friendly taxis,right ?
    La Quinta has loyal pet owning customers because of their pet friendly policies -should work the same with taxis??

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're assuming not owning a car makes one freer.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Ekdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seville, Spain
    My Bikes
    Brompton M6R and mountain bikes equipped for touring.
    Posts
    3,328
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lakhotason View Post
    You're assuming not owning a car makes one freer.
    Do you disagree?
    Smug, car-bashing cyclist and public transport user.

  11. #11
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,766
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRides View Post
    you could be just as stressful thinking of the same things that can happen to you or your bike. when you lock your bike out front of a store. do you not worry about someone cutting your chain and riding off on it. Or some punk stealing your seat or wheels? deflating your tires? loosening your handlebars? how about riding on the roads, do you ever think about that tired long haul truck driver or drunk driver coming up behind you riding over the fog line? Riding through a sketchy neighborhood do you often wonder how vulnerable you are on a bike compared to if you were in a car? how about riding in the rain during the colder months, moreso as you get older, do you think about your chances of catching pneumonia?
    No, I find bike ownership to be 100 times less stressful than car ownership.

    How about you? How would you compare the two, rhetoric aside?


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  12. #12
    winter wipeout kitty wipekitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    290
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Economically: I no longer have to budget for random $500 repairs. (Other than the repairs, my car ownership as a light user cost about $50 a month for insurance, licensing, and fuel. The repairs were what broke the budget.)

    Stress I: My bike always starts, and when it breaks, I can fix it myself. If the worst happened and someone were to steal it, I have more bikes.

    Stress II: I really just don't like driving in town: I don't like aggressive drivers or fighting for parking. Using my bike opens up a few routes I couldn't use in a car, hence a better ability to avoid the aggressive drivers.

    Dealing with concerned coworkers and family: The funny thing was that when I owned a car, people expected me to drive it more - and tried to offer arguments about why I should drive rather than bike. Without a car, those arguments stop.

    Increased creativity: Without a car, I think more carefully about numerous transportation backup plans that might work in different situations. When I was car-dependent, there was one plan: the car. So, actually, I'm more likely to get my transportation tasks accomplished without a car - if only because I'm more creative now!

  13. #13
    winter wipeout kitty wipekitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    290
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    Guessing it would be tougher if you have pets
    We live suburb of NOLA- 1,2 dogs 4-5 indoor cats-have HUGE used gas guzzling SUV-
    if we didn't have all the pets the 2nd car would have been a small actual car with double the mpg

    A taxi will allow a cat in a carrier-do any allow big dogs?
    There must be dog friendly taxis,right ?
    La Quinta has loyal pet owning customers because of their pet friendly policies -should work the same with taxis??
    This was a really big concern for me, as well - a few people had some good ideas on this thread: Living car free...with pets?

    We have three cats and want to get a Newf or similar breed down the road. The trailer and house call ideas both seemed really reasonable to me.

  14. #14
    Senior Member GodsBassist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Odenton, MD
    Posts
    661
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fell in love with the phrase, "The things you own end up owning you." It took me a while to realize that it came from Fight Club, and not Walden. Cars are definitely in this vein, in fact Therou...
    Thoro...
    Thorough...
    the guy who wrote Walden directly addressed the issue of relative speed when cost of transportation is taken into account. I appreciate the fact that I can drink like 500 extra margaritas instead of pay for gas and not have to spend 2 days at the DMV every year.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why should I disagree? It is of course subjective and "freer" has yet to be defined. Easy words tossed about.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
    Do you disagree?
    Why should I disagree? It is of course subjective and "freer" has yet to be defined. Easy words tossed about. For the record I have no car.

  17. #17
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,540
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lakhotason View Post
    You're assuming not owning a car makes one freer.
    The OP question might be answered quite differently (than found on this list) if it was asked of a large slice of the car free population who are car free not by choice, but because of their economic situation.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Dave Cutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    in my recliner
    Posts
    1,944
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    No, I find bike ownership to be 100 times less stressful than car ownership.

    How about you? How would you compare the two, rhetoric aside?
    I am just now starting to figure out you "car-free cyclists". Everything... has the same emotional response. You guys seem to live in the fight or flight mode.

    There is nothing stressful about property ownership... whether its a car a bicycle or a potted plant. Anything can be made a stressor... but the fight or flight response should be RARE.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    The OP question might be answered quite differently (than found on this list) if it was asked of a large slice of the car free population who are car free not by choice, but because of their economic situation.
    Precisely.

  20. #20
    New Orleans
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,528
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wipekitty View Post
    This was a really big concern for me, as well - a few people had some good ideas on this thread: Living car free...with pets?

    We have three cats and want to get a Newf or similar breed down the road. The trailer and house call ideas both seemed really reasonable to me.
    Wow a Newfoundland?? BIG DOG. Our dog-smallish female greyhound is typically leggy but well fed(70lbs the last time I cared to hoist her and step on the scale)
    We have 4 indoor cats and Arty-greyhound.
    But the neighbor cat eats 3 meals a day on our windowsill so we MIGHT have to evacuate him too
    we also babysit a 55 lbs beagle- he could end up being evacuated with us too-
    The cats need to be crated- with dog folding crates-when we evacuate-NOLA-
    so the cheap ancient suburban fits the evacuation bill pretty well.

    The $500 repair you mention- is dirt cheap-

    Significant source of CAR STRESS is that SERVICE DEPARTMENTS- independents and MOST dealers- are chiseling THIEVES
    They outright CHEAT many customers in NOLA- probably everywhere else.

  21. #21
    winter wipeout kitty wipekitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    290
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    Wow a Newfoundland?? BIG DOG. Our dog-smallish female greyhound is typically leggy but well fed(70lbs the last time I cared to hoist her and step on the scale)
    We have 4 indoor cats and Arty-greyhound.
    But the neighbor cat eats 3 meals a day on our windowsill so we MIGHT have to evacuate him too
    we also babysit a 55 lbs beagle- he could end up being evacuated with us too-
    The cats need to be crated- with dog folding crates-when we evacuate-NOLA-
    so the cheap ancient suburban fits the evacuation bill pretty well.

    The $500 repair you mention- is dirt cheap-

    Significant source of CAR STRESS is that SERVICE DEPARTMENTS- independents and MOST dealers- are chiseling THIEVES
    They outright CHEAT many customers in NOLA- probably everywhere else.
    I was usually pretty good at sweet talkin' the car guys to get a better deal...

    You bring up a good point about using a car for evacuation. My first and only experience was Isaac, and it's a good thing - the car I owned had a nasty habit of breaking down in traffic, so we probably would have been stuck.

  22. #22
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had reasonably good experiences with auto mechanics. I've found good shops in the last 2 or 3 cities I've lived in.

    Assuming the repair doesn't take too long, I stick around and watch to make sure that the work is actually done, and that new parts are installed. This is even with shops I 'trust.' You'll learn a lot about how to repair and/or maintain your car along the way. You usually learn that the service is not very difficult to perform yourself; but then again, it's a lot messier and usually far more time consuming to do the work on your own. Time vs money tradeoff.

    Some shops will let you bring in your own parts as well, to avoid their shop markup.

    There are definitely ways of protecting yourself with auto mechanics and the best way is to let them know that you are well informed.

    Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    Wow a Newfoundland?? BIG DOG. Our dog-smallish female greyhound is typically leggy but well fed(70lbs the last time I cared to hoist her and step on the scale)
    We have 4 indoor cats and Arty-greyhound.
    But the neighbor cat eats 3 meals a day on our windowsill so we MIGHT have to evacuate him too
    we also babysit a 55 lbs beagle- he could end up being evacuated with us too-
    The cats need to be crated- with dog folding crates-when we evacuate-NOLA-
    so the cheap ancient suburban fits the evacuation bill pretty well.

    The $500 repair you mention- is dirt cheap-

    Significant source of CAR STRESS is that SERVICE DEPARTMENTS- independents and MOST dealers- are chiseling THIEVES
    They outright CHEAT many customers in NOLA- probably everywhere else.

  23. #23
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,766
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GodsBassist View Post
    I fell in love with the phrase, "The things you own end up owning you." It took me a while to realize that it came from Fight Club, and not Walden. Cars are definitely in this vein, in fact Therou...
    Thoro...
    Thorough...
    the guy who wrote Walden directly addressed the issue of relative speed when cost of transportation is taken into account. I appreciate the fact that I can drink like 500 extra margaritas instead of pay for gas and not have to spend 2 days at the DMV every year.
    Thoreau.

    He wrote (I'm paraphrasing) that his friend wanted to go to Boston and worked two days to afford the train ticket. Thoreau set off walking and got to Boston in half a day. This story (I think of it as a parable) probably had a bigger impact on my life, starting at age 16, than anything else I ever read.

    The parallels with modern car use are pretty obvious. The average American works one day out of five to pay for his car, but thinks that bikes and walking are too slow.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  24. #24
    Senior Member ro-monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    My Bikes
    Pacific Reach, Specialized Myka Expert
    Posts
    716
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    A taxi will allow a cat in a carrier-do any allow big dogs?
    There must be dog friendly taxis,right ?
    I took my dog to the vet in a taxi, although he was only about 40 pounds and just laid on a blanket in my lap. The driver acted like it was the most normal thing in the world.

  25. #25
    Senior Member yote223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    MN.
    My Bikes
    A MTB and something else with 2 pedals.
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm. 40 minutes to get to work in my truck or 3hrs one-way on the bike. Kind of a no brainer for me !!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •