Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-14, 09:20 PM   #1
no1mad
Thunder Whisperer
Thread Starter
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke
Posts: 8,662
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
How many of y'all wear gloves even when not riding?

I wore gloves when I used to bike commute and now I've started wearing them on my walks. I do it for a couple of reasons:

-As my vision goes, I've noticed that the frequency of tripping over rocks, uneven pavement, tree limbs, and other things has increased. I haven't taken a tumble yet, but it is just a matter of time and the last thing I want to do is to get road rash, have goat heads embed themselves, or cover my hands with mud (or some other brown organic material...eww) when attempting to break a fall.

-They come in handy when encountering low hanging tree limbs or overgrown brush.

Anyone else?
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-14, 09:23 PM   #2
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In winter I wear gloves when I'm sleeping to keep my hands warmer. And I've been known to forget to take my cycling gloves off when shopping or running errands.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-14, 09:42 PM   #3
wipekitty
fixed kitty!
 
wipekitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Western Wisconsin
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not big on gloves - unless it's to protect my hands against cold or rain.

Cycling gloves never made any sense to me until I lived in the South. I mean - what's wrong with some gnarly calluses on your hands? These days, I try to avoid longer rides in particularly hot weather - sweaty palms are just not right.
wipekitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-14, 10:54 PM   #4
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
I wore gloves when I used to bike commute and now I've started wearing them on my walks. I do it for a couple of reasons:

-As my vision goes, I've noticed that the frequency of tripping over rocks, uneven pavement, tree limbs, and other things has increased. I haven't taken a tumble yet, but it is just a matter of time and the last thing I want to do is to get road rash, have goat heads embed themselves, or cover my hands with mud (or some other brown organic material...eww) when attempting to break a fall.
Have you considered wearing a helmet also due to your increased frequency of tripping over rocks, uneven pavement, tree limbs, and other things?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-14, 10:55 PM   #5
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wipekitty View Post
Cycling gloves never made any sense to me until I lived in the South. I mean - what's wrong with some gnarly calluses on your hands?
Nothing. For me, after a few decades of riding, I needed some padding to protect my hands from road shock.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-14, 11:07 PM   #6
no1mad
Thunder Whisperer
Thread Starter
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke
Posts: 8,662
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Have you considered wearing a helmet also due to your increased frequency of tripping over rocks, uneven pavement, tree limbs, and other things?


Frankly, I don't see the need. I'm walking and if I do take a tumble, it will most likely be towards the front and I've got two good arms that will act as shock absorbers if I can't regain my balance.
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-14, 11:13 PM   #7
no1mad
Thunder Whisperer
Thread Starter
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke
Posts: 8,662
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wipekitty View Post
I'm not big on gloves - unless it's to protect my hands against cold or rain.

Cycling gloves never made any sense to me until I lived in the South. I mean - what's wrong with some gnarly calluses on your hands? These days, I try to avoid longer rides in particularly hot weather - sweaty palms are just not right.
Ever 'skin a knee'? Now imagine that happening to the palm of your hand- been there, done that as a child. That is why I tried to ride with gloves as much as possible.

Besides, I'm in OK- my palms would be sweating after 10 minutes anyway, and some gloves have a terry cloth/microfiber insert on the back of the glove that can be used to wipe sweat away from the forehead/eyes.
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 01:32 AM   #8
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
...some gloves have a terry cloth/microfiber insert on the back of the glove that can be used to wipe sweat away from the forehead/eyes.
Oh...I thought that was to wipe your nose.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 04:49 AM   #9
wahoonc
Senior Member
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
Posts: 16,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have worn cycling gloves for a long time, after I tore up the palms on both hands. We strongly recommend that our guys wear gloves at work, so I have to set an example I have gotten in the habit of carrying lightweight abrasion gloves in my back pocket and put them on anytime I need to handle anything that has rough edges or surfaces. Seldom wear them while walking unless it is cold.
@no1mad... I don't think a helmet while walking is a bad thing, especially if you are unsteady on your feet. There are some really nice helmets out there that don't look like helmets. I have had a couple of friends end up in the hospital with concussions after taking a tumble while walking, one had a known balance issue the other tripped over something in the dark. I consider walking to be a low risk sport as I do cycling. I also believe in both cases wearing a helmet is a personal choice. Now about all them people dying in car accidents from head injuries?....



Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 05:43 AM   #10
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 45,751
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
When cycling, I use gloves (short finger in summer, long finger in winter) ... and I use a helmet.

When I'm not cycling, I don't like wearing gloves unless I absolutely have to ... like when it is freezing cold. I also don't like wearing hats. I'm not even all that keen on much in the way of clothing in general. In an ideal world, we'd live in a place warm enough and remote enough I could go about in next to nothing most of the time.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 06:02 AM   #11
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I have worn cycling gloves for a long time, after I tore up the palms on both hands. We strongly recommend that our guys wear gloves at work, so I have to set an example I have gotten in the habit of carrying lightweight abrasion gloves in my back pocket and put them on anytime I need to handle anything that has rough edges or surfaces. Seldom wear them while walking unless it is cold.
@no1mad... I don't think a helmet while walking is a bad thing, especially if you are unsteady on your feet. There are some really nice helmets out there that don't look like helmets. I have had a couple of friends end up in the hospital with concussions after taking a tumble while walking, one had a known balance issue the other tripped over something in the dark. I consider walking to be a low risk sport as I do cycling. I also believe in both cases wearing a helmet is a personal choice. Now about all them people dying in car accidents from head injuries?....



Aaron
One year we had a bad spell of cool rainy weather. My good riding gloves never had a chance to dry out and I didn't want to spend the money for another pair. So I bought a bunch of cheap cotton work gloves at the hardware store--I think it was 6 pairs for five bucks. I stuffed them all in a jacket pocket. When one pair soaked through after a few miles of riding, I would swap them for a dry pair. The six pairs were good for three or four hours of riding. When I got home I would throw them in the dryer and be ready to ride out again.

When the weather is colder, I sometimes wear work gloves over my riding gloves to keep them drier and cleaner. I also keep a pair in my backpack in case I have to mess with the greasy parts on my way to work or a meeting.

To answer the OP's question, I do not wear gloves when I'm not ridding unless it's cold.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 10:28 AM   #12
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1mad View Post


Frankly, I don't see the need. I'm walking and if I do take a tumble, it will most likely be towards the front and I've got two good arms that will act as shock absorbers if I can't regain my balance.
And frankly I haven't found a need to wear gloves when I ride a bicycle or walk, unless it is to keep warm. I am probably older than you and have been riding for 61 years and walking for even a longer period.

I do see one middle aged fellow in town who does wear a helmet while he walks outside. He is disabled and uses a cane to help his shaky mobility; since he seems susceptible to falls at walking speed (or is worried about them,) a helmet makes sense. Maybe he should consider gloves too.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:03 AM.