Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Decatur, GA. USA
    My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker, Canondale F300
    Posts
    771
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    If you don't have a car then you must not be a taxpaying home owner

    Funny story. A while back I noticed a strange car parked in my driveway. I thought it was odd because there was plenty of space in nearby driveways. Why park in mine? If I had a car you'd be blocking me in. But as it stands, I was concerned about "something" fishy going on. So after an hour or so with the car sitting there, I called the police. When they arrived I went out to talk to the officer.

    As we discussed it and he was considering what to do, a woman walked up from a couple houses down the road and explained that this was her car. She was a guest at a party and the host had told her to park in my driveway, and that it would be OK because "nobody lives there". I told her that this was my house and that somebody does indeed live here - me. A little more discussion revealed that the party host knew about me, but thought I was a homeless person squatting in the house and just laying low. Out of compassion for my situation, she did not report me to the police.

    She had seen me enter or exit from time to time, "but there was never a car in the driveway".

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Incheon, South Korea
    My Bikes
    Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
    Posts
    2,541
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol... so no car means homeless? I find that hard to comprehend.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Northern NJ
    My Bikes
    Trek 4900, Marin Hawk
    Posts
    224
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting way to view things.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former."
    ― Albert Einstein

  4. #4
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,452
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That doesn't surprise me at all. I've had friends tell me they were going to pop in but there was no car in the driveway so they figured I wasn't home.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    My Bikes
    '09 Trek 2.1, '75 Sekine, '90 Giant Mtb, Raleigh M20, Fuji Nevada mtb.
    Posts
    1,271
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
    ... A little more discussion revealed that the party host knew about me, but thought I was a homeless person squatting in the house and just laying low. Out of compassion for my situation, she did not report me to the police.

    She had seen me enter or exit from time to time, "but there was never a car in the driveway".
    That would have been a great time to mention that you haven't eaten good home cooked food lately ....
    "Of course you eat too much" (Looigi) There are things people say that are so true you can never forget the wisdom. I still eat too much. Without denial.
    Awarded 2014 Billy Madison "Ultimate Insult" by jsharr. Must have been something about my rambling, incoherent response...

  6. #6
    20+mph Commuter JoeyBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Supercorsa, Surly LHT, Surly Pugsley, to name a few.
    Posts
    4,316
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in a city with a fair amount of crime which sometimes spills over into my hood. Mostly break-ins for burglary. I love not having a car in the driveway, especially when I work at home. Someone staking out my house would actually have to SEE me leaving to know I was not at home, then they would assume (because I am on a bicycle) that I will be back in five minutes.

    On weekdays my street looks like a bomb went off - maybe one or two cars parked at homes. Not having a car also prevents the "Midnight Auto Parts" dudes from helping themselves to my car. Just the amount of anxiety this saves me when I lay my head on my pillow at night is priceless.
    "For all we know his skills may be excellent, allowing him to ride like an idiot without actually being one." - FBinNY

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    My Bikes
    Raleighs, Kabukis, and a Peugeot
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once I built a new garage that would hold all my stuff including the car I drive, people I know would drive by but not stop because there was no car in the driveway. What if we all parked in a garage?

  8. #8
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,452
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
    I live in a city with a fair amount of crime which sometimes spills over into my hood. Mostly break-ins for burglary. I love not having a car in the driveway, especially when I work at home. Someone staking out my house would actually have to SEE me leaving to know I was not at home, then they would assume (because I am on a bicycle) that I will be back in five minutes.

    On weekdays my street looks like a bomb went off - maybe one or two cars parked at homes. Not having a car also prevents the "Midnight Auto Parts" dudes from helping themselves to my car. Just the amount of anxiety this saves me when I lay my head on my pillow at night is priceless.
    Maybe it would be better to have a dummy car in the driveway at all times?


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  9. #9
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,796
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by modelmartin View Post
    What if we all parked in a garage?
    Works for me. Bikes and car.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,452
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    Works for me. Bikes and car.
    Wow! I wish you lived close by. My son would clean that up for a very fair price.

    How to keep a garage uncluttered:

    I used to rent an upstairs duplex with an indoor garage that I shared with the landlord. He said nothing was allowed in the garage except our vehicles. So the only things in there were my landlord's new Cadillac and my one bike, which I parked right in the center of "my half". Even with all that excess space, I wasn't allowed to have a second bike in there, or even a little bottle of chain lube. But I think my bike felt proud to be allotted as much space as the Caddy.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  11. #11
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,796
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Wow! I wish you lived close by.
    Sorry, can't say the same.

    Since I own my own home I don't have to follow a landlord's or anybody else's goofball "ideas" on the correct method of using my garage.

  12. #12
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,452
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    Sorry, can't say the same.

    Since I own my own home I don't have to follow a landlord's or anybody else's goofball "ideas" on the correct method of using my garage.
    That's very nice for you then.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  13. #13
    The Fat Guy In The Back Tundra_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    My Bikes
    '02 Giant Boulder, '08 Felt S32
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps the real question is, "why does your house look like it's been abandoned?"
    '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork

    Visit me at the Tundra Man Workshop

  14. #14
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    5,907
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krobinson103 View Post
    Lol... so no car means homeless? I find that hard to comprehend.
    I believe it. This attitude, shocking as it is, cropped up in an unrelated article I was reading about a potential bubble in bundled auto loan securities. The rationale (among lenders) was that auto loans are more secure because people will default on their housing loans before they'll give up their car! And the behavior of a lot of people have proven that there's something to that.

    So it stands to reason, for someone who believes that her car is more important than a roof over her head, no car would logically mean no rent or mortgage payment.

  15. #15
    Senior Member timmythology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Portland, Or
    My Bikes
    | Surly Disc-Trucker| unknown city bike |M80 Raleigh |09 Trek 1.2|
    Posts
    393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
    I believe it. This attitude, shocking as it is, cropped up in an unrelated article I was reading about a potential bubble in bundled auto loan securities. The rationale (among lenders) was that auto loans are more secure because people will default on their housing loans before they'll give up their car! And the behavior of a lot of people have proven that there's something to that.

    So it stands to reason, for someone who believes that her car is more important than a roof over her head, no car would logically mean no rent or mortgage payment.

    +1

  16. #16
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,227
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This should solve the problem.

    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  17. #17
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,452
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
    I believe it. This attitude, shocking as it is, cropped up in an unrelated article I was reading about a potential bubble in bundled auto loan securities. The rationale (among lenders) was that auto loans are more secure because people will default on their housing loans before they'll give up their car! And the behavior of a lot of people have proven that there's something to that.

    So it stands to reason, for someone who believes that her car is more important than a roof over her head, no car would logically mean no rent or mortgage payment.
    A guy moved into the apartment beneath me in a very expensive new pickup truck. He had walked away from his mortgage because he couldn't afford both house and truck payments. He couldn't sell the truck for as much as he owed on it. Within a couple months he couldn't afford the apartment either so he broke the lease and moved in with his sister.

    I asked him why he didn't just start using the bus and let the finance company take the truck. He said it never occurred to him.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  18. #18
    Senior Member enigmaT120's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Falls City, OR
    My Bikes
    2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93
    Posts
    1,427
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP is a crazy story.

    Like ILTB I park my vehicles, motorized or not, in my garage. If there were no room for the vehicles, there wouldn't be room to work on them out of the rain.
    Ed Miller
    Falls City, OR
    1993 Rocky Mountain Fusion
    2012 Fargo 2

  19. #19
    20+mph Commuter JoeyBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Supercorsa, Surly LHT, Surly Pugsley, to name a few.
    Posts
    4,316
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Maybe it would be better to have a dummy car in the driveway at all times?
    I had thought of that too. Maybe an old taxi.
    "For all we know his skills may be excellent, allowing him to ride like an idiot without actually being one." - FBinNY

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! That is crazy!

    It did make me think of this great video from 1966.
    https://www.nfb.ca/film/what_on_earth

    Enjoy!

  21. #21
    In the right lane gerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Posts
    9,082
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
    LOL! That is crazy!

    It did make me think of this great video from 1966.
    https://www.nfb.ca/film/what_on_earth

    Enjoy!
    Priceless!! The earthlings are the cars and the humans are parasites living in them!! That about nails it!

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Bikes
    2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
    Funny story. A while back I noticed a strange car parked in my driveway. I thought it was odd because there was plenty of space in nearby driveways. Why park in mine? If I had a car you'd be blocking me in. But as it stands, I was concerned about "something" fishy going on. So after an hour or so with the car sitting there, I called the police. When they arrived I went out to talk to the officer.

    As we discussed it and he was considering what to do, a woman walked up from a couple houses down the road and explained that this was her car. She was a guest at a party and the host had told her to park in my driveway, and that it would be OK because "nobody lives there". I told her that this was my house and that somebody does indeed live here - me. A little more discussion revealed that the party host knew about me, but thought I was a homeless person squatting in the house and just laying low. Out of compassion for my situation, she did not report me to the police.

    She had seen me enter or exit from time to time, "but there was never a car in the driveway".
    Hey, on the plus side . . because of your car free lifestyle, you got to meet your neighbors! And since they originally thought you were a criminal squatting in an empty house, their opinion of you can only improve!!

  23. #23
    Senior Member Astrozombie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East L.A.(California)
    My Bikes
    Windsor Dover, Gravity Avenue
    Posts
    721
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohhhhhhh the wonderful assumptions people will make......

    Because i pick-up lottery tickets people throw on the ground to play the "2nd chance" online, some think I have a gambling problem because i must spend like $50 a week on the lottery
    Assume nothing; Question everything

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
    I called the police. When they arrived I went out to talk to the officer.

    As we discussed it and he was considering what to do, a woman walked up from a couple houses down the road and explained that this was her car. She was a guest at a party and the host had told her to park in my driveway, and that it would be OK because "nobody lives there".
    Your neighbor had to make up a story quick or the car would have been towed or given a ticket by the officer. It was just a story.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco!
    My Bikes
    2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)
    Posts
    903
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrozombie View Post
    Ohhhhhhh the wonderful assumptions people will make......

    Because i pick-up lottery tickets people throw on the ground to play the "2nd chance" online, some think I have a gambling problem because i must spend like $50 a week on the lottery
    Hey, I do that too! My co-workers still throw them away, even after I point out the "2nd Chance" thing to them. Oh well, more free chances for me to win stuff from the California Lottery without paying a single penny

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •