With your car-free or car-light lifestyle in mind …
How did you go about choosing the place you live now, or if you are planning a move, what are the things you are considering to determine the best choice?
For Example (and you can probably think of more examples than this …)
• Proximity to work for you
• Proximity to work for your spouse or others in your household
• Proximity to school, shopping, banking, medical facilities, library, church, fitness centre, local pub
• Proximity to the country, outdoors, nature, hiking trails, the beach
• Proximity to family and friends
• Availability of public transportation
• Size of house/unit
• Size of land house/unit sits on, if applicable
• Possibility of a garden to grow your own fruit & veg
I watch Escape to the Country quite regularly, and the house hunters always have a list of things they want, usually something along the lines of … 4 bedroom, huge country kitchen, guest cottage, views, several acres of land, in the country but not too far from the local pub, and close to their sport of choice, all within their designated budget.
But sometimes we have to compromise … we can’t find the exact place we have in mind. (Sometimes the Escape to the Country folk discover that they are simply not going to get several acres of land next to their favourite village within their budget, but there are other viable options available). If you had to compromise, what are the priorities for you? Looking at the examples above, or other examples you can think of, are there certain considerations that are “must-haves” while others are just “nice to have”?