Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 128
  1. #101
    Has opinion, will express
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    13,031
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ironwood View Post
    Are you a lawyer licensed to practice in NY?
    No, but I am not providing a legal opinion. I am providing some layman advice suggesting that the OP has the outcome he wanted, but he seems churlish in wanting to pursue the staffers in the agency, to teach 'em not to interfere with the lives of him and the child he is taking care of, even though they are obligated to undertake an investigation on lodgement of a complaint. He is the one seeking to harm the officers of the child agency. I am in fact suggesting that he take a course of action that may decrease harm to himself and the child -- reduced financial and emotional burden as much as anything else.

    How do you know the matter before the agency might not have been dismissed except for the lawsuit in court? Are you a lawyer licensed to practice in the state of NY?

    And I would get your facts straight, buddy-boy. I am an Australian, living in Australia. Oddly, Australia offers up support to the US in just about any conflict around the world. We've lost soldiers in Vietnam, the Middle-East, Korea and other places fighting your wars. I have as much right to put my opinion as anyone else here.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

  2. #102
    Prefers Cicero cooker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others
    Posts
    8,522
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRides View Post
    Its a consideration I've been trying to decide on for the past month and a half and with the advice given here and off line I decided to take the responsible approach and have an inexpensive but reliable car on hand, at least until my fiancee returns. I tried going car free, and probably could have made it work-after all I did for the past 4 months but realized that this type of living only works best in the city with more alternative transportation. Thanks again to the participants of this thread for the unofficial advice
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRides View Post
    Hey guys, I just wanted to give an update if theres anyone following this thread from the beginning. I received a letter earlier this week indicating that after the investigations I was found not guilty to abuse/neglect of the child and that the case has been closed. Additionally, the lawsuit against the caseworker and supervisor for discrimination and harassment, will go before a judge on September 11th. I'm not expecting much of a settlement, except maybe my legal fees being paid and getting these two dimwits fired (far-fetched I know).
    I'm shocked that you're going ahead with the suit and trying to get them fired. It sounds like you came to the same conclusion as the "dim-wit" case worker - that having a car is in the best interests of your stepdaughter. So what are you suing her for, again?

  3. #103
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    Thanks for the concise wrap-up on your decision and decision making considerations. Makes sense.

    Your rational decision probably won't satisfy a few LCF ideologues more interested in tilting at political/cultural windmills and/or standing up to "The Man," regardless if specious posturing will likely be considered by any decision maker to be at the expense of the child's welfare.
    Look at you, you got your victory *and* got to feel smug about it. Well done.
    Posh bike: 2011 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra Di2
    Other bike: 2013 Cube Peloton Tiagra

  4. #104
    Junior Member PORTERPOUNDER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    WI.
    My Bikes
    97' Cannondale caad3 R800
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have found yourself in a bull$!#! political push forcing people to own a car because it is the normal way things are done. Sry for your situation and I hope everything works out for you. I dont know how a court could legally force you to own a car though.
    I don't know if it's illegal to ride a bike and be so handsome at the same time but whatever, I live dangerously.

  5. #105
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PORTERPOUNDER View Post
    You have found yourself in a bull$!#! political push forcing people to own a car because it is the normal way things are done. Sry for your situation and I hope everything works out for you. I dont know how a court could legally force you to own a car though.
    They probably couldn't have, but when custody of your child is at stake, who wants to take the chance? I fully understand his choice to comply with this unreasonable request, but I hope the guys responsible get hammered for it too. For those saying he should just overlook it, how about the next time they do something like this? It's no different than a policeman abusing his authority. CPS is tasked with preventing abuse and neglect and not having a car does not constitute either one. There are millions of people who for religious reasons, physical reasons, (disability), economic reasons or moral reasons do not own a car.

  6. #106
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Decatur, GA. USA
    My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker
    Posts
    1,162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hood View Post
    There are millions of people who for religious reasons, physical reasons, (disability), economic reasons or moral reasons do not own a car.
    Religious reasons? I'm curious. I don't have any of those yet. Moral reasons? Like its "wrong" to drive?

  7. #107
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Boston area
    My Bikes
    1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo
    Posts
    746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
    Religious reasons? I'm curious. I don't have any of those yet. Moral reasons? Like its "wrong" to drive?
    Some Amish and Menonites don't drive for religious reasons;

  8. #108
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
    Religious reasons? I'm curious. I don't have any of those yet. Moral reasons? Like its "wrong" to drive?
    The Amish have already been mentioned, but I also believe that some environmentalists consider it immoral to generate CO2 if they have the ability to avoid doing so. Then there's also the whole, "live simply so others may simply live" ethos. I personally don't subscribe to either view, but if someone does, it's no reason to take their kids from them. I have a few non-mainstream views and practices myself and I'd hate to be told to conform or lose my daughters.

  9. #109
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,802
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
    Religious reasons? I'm curious. I don't have any of those yet. Moral reasons? Like its "wrong" to drive?
    Of course it's wrong to drive an internal combustion vehicle. Unavoidable, in some cases, but still wrong. It's flat out wrong to do things that harm yourself and/or others.

    As a society, our moral imperative is to eliminate pollution. As individuals, we should do what we can to move ourselves and society in the direction of eliminating it.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  10. #110
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Boston area
    My Bikes
    1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo
    Posts
    746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then there are the practical reasons for not driving. A lot of driving in the US involves trips of two miles or less. Going by bicycle or foot is often quicker. Walking or biking to school is probably better than driving. It was the norm fifty years ago. Then the cost of automobile ownership, I've seen estimates that the average cost in the US is about $9,300 a year.

    Another thought about this thread: it all seems a little Kafkaesque, or Orwellian, or a little like Ray Bradbury's "The Pedestrian". I hope what the OP has posted is all true.

  11. #111
    Senior Member Onyxaxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to mention there are disabled who are unable to obtain licenses such as myself. They have no right to tell anyone to buy a car if they don't want to. It's the same bull**** we have to deal with in KY. However the people who filed the original complaint probably does this all the time and that's why they didn't state who they were so they could get out scotch free. I don't believe anonymous tips should be accepted into an official setting. It seems like the case worker should have been able to throw it out immediately. I'm not sure I buy the whole "they are under obligation to report" deal. It sounds like a bunch of baloney. If it isn't however the case worker doesn't deserve to be fired. The system is just too quick to take people's kids away for bull**** reasons.
    Last edited by Onyxaxe; 09-25-14 at 04:25 PM.

  12. #112
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    4,168
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Of course it's wrong to drive an internal combustion vehicle. Unavoidable, in some cases, but still wrong. It's flat out wrong to do things that harm yourself and/or others.

    As a society, our moral imperative is to eliminate pollution. As individuals, we should do what we can to move ourselves and society in the direction of eliminating it.
    You should stop using electricity.
    Quote Originally Posted by thosebikes View Post
    i know how to write dumb $h!t

  13. #113
    Senior Member mrodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Western PA
    My Bikes
    2014 Giant Escape 1, Junk Walmart Job - Mongoose DXR mountain bike
    Posts
    963
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    You should stop using electricity.
    And be sure to grow all your food yourself as food from a store gets to the store via internal combustion. I guess you shouldn't be buying anything at all. Everything arrives to the stores by internal combustion. That of course includes your bike.
    Ride no faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

  14. #114
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    307
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Mike, it seems that all's well for now. I just want to say I wish nothing but good juju on you for you taking on this resposibility, goodness on the little one who is doing her part happily, and goodness on her mother who is fighting for our freedom to be harassed by someone who is too fearful to simply walk up to you on their own and say: "Hi . I notice you and your daughter bicycle to school...."

  15. #115
    Senior Member Ekdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seville, Spain
    My Bikes
    Brompton M6R and mountain bikes equipped for touring.
    Posts
    3,356
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    You should stop using electricity.
    Why not waste as little energy as possible and join the push to go over to clean, renewable sources of electricity like wind and solar? That seems a lot more intelligent to me than your proposal.
    Smug, bicycle-riding, car-bashing, public transport-using zealot.

  16. #116
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,623
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyxaxe View Post
    I don't believe anonymous tips should be accepted into an official setting. It seems like the case worker should have been able to throw it out immediately. I'm not sure I buy the whole "they are under obligation to report" deal. It sounds like a bunch of baloney. If it isn't however the case worker doesn't deserve to be fired. The system is just too quick to take people's kids away for bull**** reasons.
    I am sure about how much you know about child welfare regulations and the requirements for the "system" to investigate reports of alleged child abuse or neglect.

  17. #117
    Senior Member Onyxaxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    I am sure about how much you know about child welfare regulations and the requirements for the "system" to investigate reports of alleged child abuse or neglect.
    Okay, what is your aim?. Did this add to the discussion in any way?. The complaint didn't meet any of the criteria under the CFSA's system. If someone states a parent is endangering their child by letting them eat cereal in the morning do they have to investigate it?. I'm seriously asking not being snarky.

  18. #118
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    4,168
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
    Why not waste as little energy as possible and join the push to go over to clean, renewable sources of electricity like wind and solar? That seems a lot more intelligent to me than your proposal.
    What and support polluting mining operations?
    Quote Originally Posted by thosebikes View Post
    i know how to write dumb $h!t

  19. #119
    Senior Member Ekdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seville, Spain
    My Bikes
    Brompton M6R and mountain bikes equipped for touring.
    Posts
    3,356
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    What and support polluting mining operations?
    Are you trying to be clever? If so, it's not working.
    Smug, bicycle-riding, car-bashing, public transport-using zealot.

  20. #120
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    4,168
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
    Are you trying to be clever? If so, it's not working.
    Hey, if the guy is going to jump on his soapbox and take the stance that:

    As a society, our moral imperative is to eliminate pollution. As individuals, we should do what we can to move ourselves and society in the direction of eliminating it.
    Then he damned well better put his money where his mouth is and eliminate pollution from his own life. Wouldn't want them to be a hypocrite.
    Quote Originally Posted by thosebikes View Post
    i know how to write dumb $h!t

  21. #121
    Senior Member Dave Cutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    in my recliner
    Posts
    1,986
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Logic and reason doesn't matter here. Big government laws, regulations, and rules matter! You will do as the big government tells you or they will release you of your responsibility to care for children. Any resistant to the big government will be quickly and harshly squashed. Expect punishment to continue well past any correction of this infraction.

  22. #122
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,623
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyxaxe View Post
    Okay, what is your aim?. Did this add to the discussion in any way?. The complaint didn't meet any of the criteria under the CFSA's system. If someone states a parent is endangering their child by letting them eat cereal in the morning do they have to investigate it?. I'm seriously asking not being snarky.
    How do YOU know what the actual complaint alleged, let alone if the complaint met any specific criteria for investigation, or what other potential issues related to the care of the child were encountered by the investigator? The OP has never been clear about what the specific complaint was, or what additional charges or allegations, if any, were being investigated. Did the agency declare after investigation that the complaint was unfounded, end of story; or was a specific solution proposed/directed by the agency to resolve the complaint and/or any other child welfare issues raised during the course of the investigation?
    Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 09-26-14 at 01:43 PM.

  23. #123
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,623
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
    Logic and reason doesn't matter here. Big government laws, regulations, and rules matter! You will do as the big government tells you or they will release you of your responsibility to care for children. Any resistant to the big government will be quickly and harshly squashed. Expect punishment to continue well past any correction of this infraction.
    Correct, logic and reason never seem to matter when it comes to irrational, hyperbolic and unfocused government (rules, laws, or personnel) bashing/ranting.

  24. #124
    Senior Member Onyxaxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    How do YOU know what the actual complaint alleged, let alone if the complaint met any specific criteria for investigation, or what other potential issues related to the care of the child were encountered by the investigator? The OP has never been clear about what the specific complaint was, or what additional charges or allegations, if any, were being investigated. Did the agency declare after investigation that the complaint was unfounded, end of story; or was a specific solution proposed/directed by the agency to resolve the complaint and/or any other child welfare issues raised during the course of the investigation?
    The case worker said you need to buy a car. They are trying to live car free. To me it was rather easy to understand the situation, maybe you like sitting in forums all day debating bull**** for no reason. I don't. I have no reason to even understand these laws. I don't want bikers getting their kids taken away because they biked them to school. This is a bikeforum after all. Not a law forum lol.

  25. #125
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,905
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember ... we only have one side of the story here.


    Anyway, this is all old news now. It's done ... resolved over a month ago.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •