Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-16-14, 07:50 PM   #76
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 46,231
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
No revelation on character here. The thread has been consistent with all the other weird stuff previously posted. See post below.
Yes ... I agree ... although the (not-unexpected) misogynistic side of things hadn't been well developed in previous threads.
Machka is offline  
Old 08-16-14, 08:03 PM   #77
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 46,231
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
Why exactly are you stalking me through the forum?
If you don't want people to read what you write, there's a simple solution ... don't post.
Machka is offline  
Old 08-16-14, 09:07 PM   #78
Rowan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14,930
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
Don't be presumptuous. A smoker can call a non-smoker 'jaundiced' for giving up smoking but it's a 'smoking-centric' projection. You are also projecting things onto me and looking for explanations that pathologize me because you don't like the differences between us, presumably. Again I ask, why must I be attacked?


So it's a broader ad hom project? Why exactly are you stalking me through the forum?
Stalking you? Goodness gracious. Add paranoia to the list.

By the way, it's ad hominem. If you want to run with the big boys, use their language properly. The fact that you won't reveal much of yourself reduces your credibility to being just a theorist who doesn't have any practical knowledge about the subject they are expounding.

=====================================

Anyway, back on topic:

One of the things is if you want to hook up with someone who is not a cyclist, make it clear that you are self-sufficient transport-wise, that you aren't looking for free rides everywhere because she might have a car.

In addition, don't under any circumstance think you can make them like cycling even a little bit, let alone as much as you do. Don't have them acquire a bike and think you can go on merry rides around the place because you think that would be good for the relationship (trust me on this one -- I speak from experience... again). Be supportive of her interests, as you would expect her to be of cycling, but ask yourself whether you would want to take up her pursuits.

There is no reason why living car free with concentration on cycling shouldn't work in a relationship. If she perceives she needs a car, that should be fine with you if there are 99 out of 100 others things about her that tick the boxes. After all, you don't have to own the car, or even drive it, do you?

Sometimes I find these conversations interesting. I don't think people go around a night club or pub with "I own a car" emblazoned on their backs. And in the current environment where driving drunk is becoming a significant legal issue (at least in Australia), driving a car might be so much of a liability that many people catch buses, trams or taxis to and from their social gatherings.
Rowan is offline  
Old 08-17-14, 01:01 AM   #79
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,578
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
I disagree with the bullying and name calling by four or five people. It's good fun to attack ideas and opinions, but it's a violation of the guidelines to attack somebody personally--even if you think their ideas are despicable.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline  
Old 08-17-14, 01:22 AM   #80
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,978
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Wow wow wow. Just came back from vacation and this thread has a ton of complaints. People calling each other names, people cussing and going around the filter. All around being rude! Where is this all coming from? I can't believe adults treat each other that way. Looks like I'm going to be busy tonight with reminding people what the forum guidelines are.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:34 AM.