Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 71
  1. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Miami
    My Bikes
    Jamis Aurora Elite, Fuji Allegro, Trek 800, Oriigami Crane 7
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do the racks work well with 20" wheels?

    Also, stupid question: When arriving to your stop, how do you make the driver aware that he has to wait for you to take your bike off the rack?

  2. #27
    Senior Member enigmaT120's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Falls City, OR
    My Bikes
    2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93
    Posts
    1,610
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about 20" wheels. Before you get off the bus remind the driver you need to grab your bike. The Salem buses have a sign to remind you to tell the driver.
    Ed Miller
    Falls City, OR
    1993 Rocky Mountain Fusion
    2012 Fargo 2

  3. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,432
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
    Do the racks work well with 20" wheels?

    Also, stupid question: When arriving to your stop, how do you make the driver aware that he has to wait for you to take your bike off the rack?
    I don't believe the rack will work with 20 inch wheels. If you watch my video, you'll notice the arm that locks around the front wheel is designed for a 700 or 26 inch wheel. It would not wrap around a 20 inch wheel strong enough or not at all.

    Telling the driver to wait for me to take the bike off is easy. I just tell him to "Please wait while I take my bike off" and then step in front of the bus. It takes me less than 10 seconds to remove the bike. In fact, if there are other passegers boarding after you get off, he may not have to wait for you at all.

  4. #29
    Senior Member ro-monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    My Bikes
    Pacific Reach, Specialized Myka Expert
    Posts
    745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
    Do the racks work well with 20" wheels?
    Yes. I've put my 20-inch wheel bike in them. Our local transit agency's rules say the wheels must be 20 inches or larger. Be careful with your rear derailleur if you have one, though. With the smaller wheel diameter it can get pinched between the wheel and the bike rack, and could possibly be bent.

    Quote Originally Posted by gerv View Post
    I've often seen two bicycles on a bus... probably meaning a third bicycle rider would have to wait for the next bus....The big problem with the bike racks is that it doesn't scale too well....
    Here they will let another two bikes inside the bus when the rack is full (which happens fairly often), as long as the bus isn't too crowded. This is left up to the driver's discretion. But you're right, as bike-bus travel becomes more popular, the system will no longer work unless buses run every few minutes. I think they will eventually have to design new buses with more bike capacity on the inside of the bus and bike-friendly doors.
    Last edited by ro-monster; 08-28-14 at 08:18 PM.

  5. #30
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    21,337
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just saw that my bus company is now replacing the double racks with triples. Demand is intense on some routes.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  6. #31
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southeast Alaska
    My Bikes
    Trek 930
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry but I fail to understand what you mean by "it doesn't scale too well".

  7. #32
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    7,001
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do the racks work well with 20" wheels?
    BMX bikes get along fine . hook pulls down of the to of a Bare Front tire. racks over the front wheel complicate things.

  8. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,432
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Biker View Post
    I'm sorry but I fail to understand what you mean by "it doesn't scale too well".
    In other words, the scale being two bikes per bus does not look good in the future as demand will become greater.

    I find myself using the bike rack each weekend. The lightrail is great but I discovered it gets packed on the weekends. As a result, I often have to give up my seat frequently.

    The bus is different because the bike on the rack gets in on ones way so I can keep my seat!
    Last edited by Dahon.Steve; 08-30-14 at 07:00 PM.

  9. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,432
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ro-monster View Post
    Yes. I've put my 20-inch wheel bike in them.
    This is good news. I'm glad you corrected me!

  10. #35
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    LA
    My Bikes
    2014 Cannondale SuperSix Evo, 1995 Bianchi Reparto Corse, 2012 Purefix, 2012 Marin Alpine Trail 29
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see BMX riders in my area use them all the time so they should...

    I also go to the front of the bus a few minutes before my stop, and exit the front door so the driver knows.

  11. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Waterloo, ON
    My Bikes
    Surly Krampus
    Posts
    392
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
    Do the racks work well with 20" wheels?

    Also, stupid question: When arriving to your stop, how do you make the driver aware that he has to wait for you to take your bike off the rack?
    I've been there before, and I was always paranoid that the driver would leave with my bike. Never happened, though. If it was really busy, I made sure I was off the bus and out in front before the people finished leaving/boarding. And if it wasn't busy, I was pretty sure the driver would remember me and my bike.

    The real question is...what are they gonna do when fat bikes get really popular?

  12. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,432
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I've been there before, and I was always paranoid that the driver would leave with my bike. Never happened, though. If it was really busy, I made sure I was off the bus and out in front before the people finished leaving/boarding. And if it wasn't busy, I was pretty sure the driver would remember me and my bike.

    The real question is...what are they gonna do when fat bikes get really popular?
    I highly doubt those bike racks that cost over 1K are going to be replaced anytime soon!

    I really am enjoying the bike racks and took my bike on two of them last Saturday. It was geat total cost over $4.00 dollars and since I'm using a monthly bus card, those rides were free.

  13. #38
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    21,337
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve View Post
    I highly doubt those bike racks that cost over 1K are going to be replaced anytime soon!
    They might be replaced. My bus company replaced double racks with triple racks on all the buses this summer.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  14. #39
    Senior Member Ekdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seville, Spain
    My Bikes
    Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
    Posts
    3,521
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen one of those bike racks in my area, but it's just been announced that all intercity bus companies will be required to offer free Wi-Fi and will be equipped with either exterior bike racks, back and rear, or with an area in the luggage hold big enough to carry at least five bicycles. Cameras will be installed on the buses with external racks so the driver can keep an eye on the bikes and the cyclists as they put them on and take them off.

    Great news.
    I need me a woman with some food stamps!

  15. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,432
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
    I've never seen one of those bike racks in my area, but it's just been announced that all intercity bus companies will be required to offer free Wi-Fi and will be equipped with either exterior bike racks, back and rear, or with an area in the luggage hold big enough to carry at least five bicycles. Cameras will be installed on the buses with external racks so the driver can keep an eye on the bikes and the cyclists as they put them on and take them off.

    Great news.
    That really is good news.

    Why put the rack on the back of the bus? This doesn't make sense because it's more dangerous for the cyclist since the camera may not work and quite frankly, the bus just may take off with your bike while trying to unlock it. Furthermore, does anyone really think the driver is going to run after the bike crooks who take your ride off the rack even if he deos see them on camera? Quite frankly, I think the whole process will take longer overall. Make sure you bring a cable lock.
    Last edited by Dahon.Steve; 10-07-14 at 07:32 PM.

  16. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,432
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    They might be replaced. My bus company replaced double racks with triple racks on all the buses this summer.
    That's good news.

    Someone created a post asking the question, how close the market is from your home. I never tried it but the rack gives me ability to go shopping 5 or 10 miles (or more) away. I've never tried it but it's nice to have this option.

    After Hurricane Sandy, I had to ride 15 miles to find a working ATM machine. Now with the racks, that trip would be alot easier.

  17. #42
    Senior Member Ekdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seville, Spain
    My Bikes
    Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
    Posts
    3,521
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve View Post
    That really is good news.

    Why put the rack on the back of the bus? This doesn't make sense because it's more dangerous for the cyclist since the camera may not work and quite frankly, the bus just may take off with your bike while trying to unlock it. Furthermore, does anyone really think the driver is going to run after the bike crooks who take your ride off the rack even if he deos see them on camera? Quite frankly, I think the whole process will take longer overall. Make sure you bring a cable lock.
    Good points. You might be right about the racks at the back not being a good idea. As the bus companies will be given more than one option, they may well opt for the most logical and least costly one, which it seems to me would be to set aside an area in the luggage hold.
    I need me a woman with some food stamps!

  18. #43
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    21,475
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
    Good points. You might be right about the racks at the back not being a good idea. As the bus companies will be given more than one option, they may well opt for the most logical and least costly one, which it seems to me would be to set aside an area in the luggage hold.
    I've never seen a U.S. intra-city (metropolitan area) bus service that used buses with a luggage holding compartment. I also have never seen an inter city bus line that used bike racks. Two different transportation markets, I would recommend not confusing the two; no U.S. city/local bus service is going to go to baggage service in the foreseeable future for bikes or anything else that requires the driver opening/closing a baggage holding area.

  19. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Decatur, GA. USA
    My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker
    Posts
    1,377
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    I also have never seen an inter city bus line that used bike racks.
    In Atlanta the inner city bus service is MARTA and they have bike racks on the front of the bus.

  20. #45
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    21,475
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
    In Atlanta the inner city bus service is MARTA and they have bike racks on the front of the bus.
    Yes that agrees with what I posted; bus bike rack discussion is all about inner city /intra-metropolitan bus service such as MARTA, not Trailways/Greyhound and other inter-city service where baggage holding areas might be found on the bus.

  21. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Decatur, GA. USA
    My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker
    Posts
    1,377
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    Yes that agrees with what I posted; bus bike rack discussion is all about inner city /intra-metropolitan bus service such as MARTA, not Trailways/Greyhound and other inter-city service where baggage holding areas might be found on the bus.
    Sorry - I read an "inter" as "inner" and should not have posted that. I need to get my glasses checked!

  22. #47
    Senior Member enigmaT120's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Falls City, OR
    My Bikes
    2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93
    Posts
    1,610
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    I've never seen a U.S. intra-city (metropolitan area) bus service that used buses with a luggage holding compartment. I also have never seen an inter city bus line that used bike racks. Two different transportation markets, I would recommend not confusing the two; no U.S. city/local bus service is going to go to baggage service in the foreseeable future for bikes or anything else that requires the driver opening/closing a baggage holding area.
    The busses I ride are sort of in between, connecting the various rural towns in Polk and Marion counties, and they have 3-bike racks. Not for fat bikes though. It's hard enough getting a 29er in one.
    Ed Miller
    Falls City, OR
    1993 Rocky Mountain Fusion
    2012 Fargo 2

  23. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    SE Michigan
    My Bikes
    2014 Genesis GS29 (Yellow Fork)
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think every CATA bus has racks and the few occasions I needed the bus the rack was full so people are using them. I don't have a clue about driver attitude apart from the annoyed look I get when I beat the bus to every stop. I swear they think bike riders should use the bus so they can get your money. I don't know how that makes sense, but it's the attitude they have.

  24. #49
    Senior Member Ekdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seville, Spain
    My Bikes
    Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
    Posts
    3,521
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    I've never seen a U.S. intra-city (metropolitan area) bus service that used buses with a luggage holding compartment. I also have never seen an inter city bus line that used bike racks. Two different transportation markets, I would recommend not confusing the two; no U.S. city/local bus service is going to go to baggage service in the foreseeable future for bikes or anything else that requires the driver opening/closing a baggage holding area.
    I used the term "intercity."
    I need me a woman with some food stamps!

  25. #50
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    21,475
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
    I used the term "intercity."
    That you did, in a thread that was until your post, all about transporting bicycles on bike racks on intracity buses.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •