Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    4,864
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    NHTSA anti-drunk driving radio commercial

    I'm all for reducing the number of impaired motorists out there, but the implications behind this ad are a bit much. It also seems a bit counterproductive. http://www.trafficsafetymarketing.go...See_30-508.pdf

    Sure, you need a car to have a life. At least that's the message being sent.

  2. #2
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,286
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya think there is one 20-something in a thousand, or ten thousand, who would pay more attention to an anti drunk driving message that touted the benefits of being car free? Or the productiveness of promoting the new opportunities gained by losing a driving license and greater attraction of the opposite sex to such people?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    4,864
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    Ya think there is one 20-something in a thousand, or ten thousand, who would pay more attention to an anti drunk driving message that touted the benefits of being car free? Or the productiveness of promoting the new opportunities gained by losing a driving license and greater attraction of the opposite sex to such people?
    I think that is irrelevant and not necessary. I'm simply offended that the federal government is airing ads that strongly imply that a car is necessary for a happy or even normal life.

    As to any assumption that there is only a tiny percentage of young people who aren't enamored of cars:

    Some experts, like Michael Sivak, director of Sustainable Worldwide Transportation at the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute, argue that at least part of the drop is permanent and that it's part of a global decline in driving among young people. He contends that part of the shift is rooted in the growth of access to the Internet: Modern teens can connect with each other through social media, so there's less of a need to get together by driving to popular hangouts or by cruising.

    "I believe that a large part of the drop is permanent," says Sivak, who was one of the first researchers to document the trend. "It's not just teens. It's people in their 20s and 30s, as well. When we asked people (in a new national survey of young adults without a license) when they planned to get a driver's license, 21.5% of all respondents said never; 35.4% of those aged 30-39 said never. That tells us that a large part of the drop we see is permanent."
    Many teens taking a pass on a driver's license

  4. #4
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,601
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The equation of cars with social status is something that old fogeys in the government (and on BF) just take for granted. This radio ad just sounds old-fashioned and stupid to me.

    I do like the new Apple TV ad that shows young people in Detroit using social media to set up bike rides and other sustainable events in Detroit. I think Apple has a better feel for that young adult demographic group than the NHTSA does!

    http://www.apple.com/your-verse/orga...-dbc-sla-nb10m

    Last edited by Roody; 08-18-14 at 11:52 PM.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  5. #5
    cycleobsidian
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Southwestern Ontario
    Posts
    435
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    The equation of cars with social status is something that old fogeys in the government (and on BF) just take for granted. This radio ad just sounds old-fashioned and stupid to me.

    I do like the new Apple TV ad that shows young people in Detroit using social media to set up bike rides and other sustainable events in Detroit. I think Apple has a better feel for that young adult demographic group than the NHTSA does!

    Apple - iPad - Organizing a movement
    That's the most uplifting commercial I've seen in years. Finally the bicycle viewed positively by a large, influential corporation. Thanks for sharing.

  6. #6
    Senior Member duckbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Waterloo, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Marinoni X4
    Posts
    420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did I miss something? From reading the radio commercial script, it appears 20 something females do not drink or own cars.

  7. #7
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,286
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
    I think that is irrelevant and not necessary.
    I have no doubts that you and other posters believe that effectiveness is irrelevant and not necessary in an effort to influence young people to refrain from drinking and driving.
    Let's instead talk about a bicycling club's use of Apple Ipads and Apps and or what one "expert" believes might be so, if the effort is to reduce drunken driving.
    Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 08-19-14 at 09:25 AM.

  8. #8
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,286
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by duckbill View Post
    Did I miss something? From reading the radio commercial script, it appears 20 something females do not drink or own cars.
    The appeal was principally to the target audience, young men who sometimes drive after drinking. Believe it or not, some products or ideas are directed to specific segments of the population.
    Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 08-19-14 at 09:25 AM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Boston area
    My Bikes
    1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo
    Posts
    733
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cycleobsidian View Post
    That's the most uplifting commercial I've seen in years. Finally the bicycle viewed positively by a large, influential corporation. Thanks for sharing.
    Long ago Steve Jobs said "Computers are like bicycles for the mind". Apple, from its earliest days has been pro bicycle.
    Last edited by ironwood; 08-19-14 at 09:17 AM. Reason: forgot a word

  10. #10
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    6,346
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the NHTSA anti-drunk works well enough. It's hard to get upset about other demographics having different priorities than I do, and that's really the issue here isn't it?

  11. #11
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,286
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
    I think that the NHTSA anti-drunk works well enough. It's hard to get upset about other demographics having different priorities than I do, and that's really the issue here isn't it?
    Obviously some people on LCF find it easy to get upset even acknowledging that other demographics have different priorities than they do.

    You are correct about the issue which is - the purpose/goal of the advertiser.

  12. #12
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,286
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    The equation of cars with social status is something that old fogeys in the government (and on BF) just take for granted. This radio ad just sounds old-fashioned and stupid to me.

    I do like the new Apple TV ad that shows young people in Detroit using social media to set up bike rides and other sustainable events in Detroit. I think Apple has a better feel for that young adult demographic group than the NHTSA does!

    Apple - iPad - Organizing a movement

    Has this so-called ad for promoting an Apple product appeared or been broadcast anywhere besides the Apple Web site? The video on the Apple site seems to be viewable only by those who choose to load the Apple product, QuickTime on to their computer.

    EDIT: Found a viewable video on YouTube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybIxBZlopUY
    Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 08-19-14 at 10:53 AM.

  13. #13
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,601
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    Has this so-called ad for promoting an Apple product appeared or been broadcast anywhere besides the Apple Web site? The video on the Apple site seems to be viewable only by those who choose to load the Apple product, QuickTime on to their computer.

    EDIT: Found a viewable video on YouTube : Apple - iPad - TV Ad - Jason?s Verse - YouTube
    I have seen it several times on TV. I liked the positive message about bicycles, and also the upbeat spin on Detroit.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  14. #14
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,601
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    Obviously some people on LCF find it easy to get upset even acknowledging that other demographics have different priorities than they do.

    You are correct about the issue which is - the purpose/goal of the advertiser.
    That's a very good point. It doesn't make much sense to aim drunk driving PSAs at carfree people. I still think it's sexist and stupid, however.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •