I desire a new bike. N+1 must be satisfied. Wife has given the green light. Conditions are perfect.
Basically I want a Rando (1000k+) bike that can handle gravel as well. I'll also use it to commute.
I just can't decide on a bike. I know I want it to accept the compass tubeless offerings: Rat Trap Pass at 26x54, Switchback Hill at 650bx48, and/or Jon Bon Pass at 700cx35. Said bike doesn't have to accept all sizes, not married to anything.
- Road Crankset (narrow tread)
- Handle lowriders/porteur and maybe even decaleur
- Fit fenders over said tires
- be able to have a mini rear rack for light items
- be able to run a generator hub
- I don't care discs vs centerpull, but with discs I want thru axles.
- It needs to be fast. because I am wicked fast.
- mid to low trail seems about right
- absolutely no toe overlap (I currently have 585mm front center on my bike and get it with 700x28 tires).
I am probably a size 56 +-.
Bikes I have looked at
- AWOL -- tire options, load options, no toe overlap, can run belts, but not very lively.
- Diverge -- Speedy bike, looks like I can get a lowrider on the fork, but limited tire clearance especially with fenders. not sure how I feel about carbon.
- Soma Grand Rando -- Just doesn't quite have the clearance for 650x48 tires
- Soma San Marco -- this might work?
- Soma Wolverine -- I haven't ridden it -- but it looks like a good contender minus the QR + discs combo.
- NFE Elephant -- awesome -- but too long of a back log
- Crust Evasion -- killer bike but uses MTN BB
Any others I should consider? Or any thoughts on the above? I will be in the US (UT/WA) for another week and a half.