Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member howsteepisit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    My Bikes
    Mecian
    Posts
    2,926
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What are the lightest SPD Compatable Shoes

    I have two pairs of SPD shoes, an older Shimano and a Diadora. They both weigh a ton (or so it seems). Any advise on what some SPD compatible shoes might be that are more like my SEDI Road (Look compatible) shoes in weight?
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

    "Toes"

  2. #2
    Senior Member cam117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH USA
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Pearl Izumi's Vortex model (style 5021) shoe with SPDs. Its a road shoe that is compatible with SPD, Look, & SPDpSL. I'm sure there's nicer uber high-end shoes out there, but I'm 100% happy with these. I've never tried SIDIs, but these look very similar.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Jarery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Coquitlam
    Posts
    2,538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought some Northwave Revenge shoes. Definately the lightest, with the softest toe box of any shoe ive tried. They also make a mtn bike version, which would have spd compatible cleat pattern on bottom, or the ones I have which have the look compatible pattern.

    http://www.bicirace.com/product/2006...veRevenge.html
    http://www.northwave.it/
    Jarery

    -If you cant see it from space, its not a real hill
    -If two bikes are going in the same direction, ITS A RACE!

  4. #4
    Member chrispatoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    My Bikes
    2006 Orbea Araia
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

    a note of caution with road shoes claiming compatability with SPD. I bought a pair of Exustars that feel great however I find the cleats rock sideways ie pivot on axis in the pedal even after buying a new set of shimano cleats to replace the exustar version that I got at the same time as the shoes. I found it disconcerting and it felt like I was losing heaps in the pedal stroke certainly my average speed was down. This may have been me trying to work out what was going wrong or not ....... didnt like the feel in any case......
    Chris
    2006 Orbea Araia
    My Bike Journal

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    My Bikes
    Trek MTB, 1980s Road Bike
    Posts
    318
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd also like to know the answer to this, but slightly modified from the original poster's question:

    What are some fairly lightwieght SPD compatible shoes that are (1) relatively inexpensive and (2) have recessed cleats so I don't have to walk like a penguin?


    {I say "relatively" lightweight b/c my current mountain shoes (Adidas Minrett), which I use on my roadbike for commuting, weigh at least double my running sneakers. If they weighed close to normal running shoes I'd be pretty happy. Most entry mountain shoes feel like lead weights by comparison. Any cheap road shoes with recessed cleats and walkability?)

  6. #6
    Senior Member staehpj1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Parkville, Md
    Posts
    7,612
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit
    Any advise on what some SPD compatible shoes might be that are more like my SEDI Road (Look compatible) shoes in weight?
    Why not Sidi MTB shoes?

    I am thinking of getting the Sidi Bullet II's, since they seem to be comparable to the Sidi Zeta road shoes that I already have and like quite well.

    The price isn't too bad. $149 from Performance. If you have a team performance membership they credit you 10% and they always seem to have a coupon code for 10, 15, or 20% or sometimes $20 off any purchase over $50. So if you wait for the right sale you may get them as cheap as $107 bucks assuming a team performance membership. Sometimes they even have a code for free shipping.

    If you want to go that route check the coupon forum. I think the $20 off a $50 purchase and the %10 any purchase are in effect now, but the %20 one comes up pretty frequently.

    Also, I've never dealt with them, but http://www.chainreactioncycles.com has them listed for $113.

    I don't know if that meets TrackSmart's requirement of being relatively inexpensive or not.

    BTW: If you happen to have difficulties with fit because of wide feet, the Mega versions of the Sidi models are a god send.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    My Bikes
    Trek MTB, 1980s Road Bike
    Posts
    318
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm.. Maybe MTB shoes are just wicked heavy in general. Even the Sidi Bullet II's weigh in at 725 grams (1.6 pounds).

    By contrast, a cheap pair of normal running sneakers weights about half that. Like these at 350 grams or so: http://www.nbwebexpress.com/newbalanceM660WB.htm

    Maybe my expectations are unrealistic. And maybe my current shoes compare just fine in terms of weight given that even mid-level mountain shoes are heavy-as-ell. I guess it just annoys me that when I lift up my bike shoes they feel like lead bricks because I'm used to waering running shoes.







    Quote Originally Posted by staehpj1
    Why not Sidi MTB shoes?

    I am thinking of getting the Sidi Bullet II's, since they seem to be comparable to the Sidi Zeta road shoes that I already have and like quite well.

    The price isn't too bad. $149 from Performance. If you have a team performance membership they credit you 10% and they always seem to have a coupon code for 10, 15, or 20% or sometimes $20 off any purchase over $50. So if you wait for the right sale you may get them as cheap as $107 bucks assuming a team performance membership. Sometimes they even have a code for free shipping.

    If you want to go that route check the coupon forum. I think the $20 off a $50 purchase and the %10 any purchase are in effect now, but the %20 one comes up pretty frequently.

    Also, I've never dealt with them, but http://www.chainreactioncycles.com has them listed for $113.

    I don't know if that meets TrackSmart's requirement of being relatively inexpensive or not.

    BTW: If you happen to have difficulties with fit because of wide feet, the Mega versions of the Sidi models are a god send.
    Last edited by TrackSmart; 12-03-06 at 10:32 AM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member bernmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    807
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been wearing Shimano SH-RT50 road shoes for more than a year now, and find them entirely satisfactory. These are pure road shoes designed for SPD cleats, and thus have no lugs on the sole to add bulk and weight. But the cleat is completely recessed, and walking with them is easy. They seem pretty light to me, but almost certainly heavier than the Revenge shoes mentioned earlier. They cost about $75.
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Specialized Sequoia Elite

  9. #9
    Senior Member staehpj1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Parkville, Md
    Posts
    7,612
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackSmart
    Hmmm.. Maybe MTB shoes are just wicked heavy in general. Even the Sidi Bullet II's weigh in at 725 grams (1.6 pounds).

    By contrast, a cheap pair of normal running sneakers weights about half that. Like these at 350 grams or so: http://www.nbwebexpress.com/newbalanceM660WB.htm

    Maybe my expectations are unrealistic. And maybe my current shoes compare just fine in terms of weight given that even mid-level mountain shoes are heavy-as-ell. I guess it just annoys me that when I lift up my bike shoes they feel like lead bricks because I'm used to waering running shoes.
    Comparing to running shoes is unreasonable. Bike shoes need to be stiff and that is way more important than weight (within reasonable limits). You can probably lose a little weight if you find a pair with carbon soles, but undoubtedly they will be more expensive.

    Personally I don't think that the weight is that big of a deal (again within reasonable limits). Would it be nice to make them lighter, yes. Would it be worth making them less stiff or less comfortable to shed some weight, I doubt it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    My Bikes
    Trek MTB, 1980s Road Bike
    Posts
    318
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by staehpj1
    Comparing to running shoes is unreasonable. Bike shoes need to be stiff and that is way more important than weight (within reasonable limits). You can probably lose a little weight if you find a pair with carbon soles, but undoubtedly they will be more expensive.

    Personally I don't think that the weight is that big of a deal (again within reasonable limits). Would it be nice to make them lighter, yes. Would it be worth making them less stiff or less comfortable to shed some weight, I doubt it.

    You are quite right, of course. I originally thought the weight was due to the low price point of my current shoes. I can see now that unless you get into the high-end (carbon fiber), you have to accept that compromise of greater weight for sole stiffness....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •